✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay Christmas Song 2010! Christmas Lights // behind-the-scenes footage in first post (parts

antshar

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a line about Elvis in the song; that's the only reason I can come up with for it :P.

I actually didn't catch the line about Elvis on the night of the shoot, so I was totally bewildered as to why three Elvises (Elvi?) were relevant, but took it in stride :lol:.

I just noticed Guy and Jonny are wearing handwarmers in the video. I don't know why I find this cute, but I do :wacky:. It's like the only clue as to how fricking cold it was that night, since somehow they managed to not get all their breath-clouds on film.

Two ways of doing this - either they heated the set (most probably) - or they made them suck ice cubes to prevent the breath clouds.

I imagine if it was down to the boys it would have been a charity single as I imagine most of their profits would be.. They've got plenty of money and none of them seem to want anymore...

I don't care how much the single costs or where the money goes. I just want a physical copy of it with some kind of appropriate artwork on the "sleeve".:(

I don't care how much the single costs or where the money goes. I just want a physical copy of it with some kind of appropriate artwork on the "sleeve".:(

I know what you mean, it does suck a bit. I'm not to keen on the whole digital thing, I'd much rather have a decent CD collection than loads of digital songs.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but...

Is it just me, or is the boat chorus not nearly as prevalent on song itself compared to the video? I'm just listening from my computer anyway so I suppose that may not be the best comparison, but I'm just curious what other people think.

you could burn the song onto a CD and print out the artwork from the website to make a sleeve for it. :P

Not the same, plus that sounds too much like hard work.:dozey:

I know what you mean, it does suck a bit. I'm not to keen on the whole digital thing, I'd much rather have a decent CD collection than loads of digital songs.

Agreed.;)

i hate digital mp3. quality sucks!

i need a CD!

Maybe we should start a petition!:P

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but...

Is it just me, or is the boat chorus not nearly as prevalent on song itself compared to the video? I'm just listening from my computer anyway so I suppose that may not be the best comparison, but I'm just curious what other people think.

Not just you, I heard it too. I think it sounds better without us to be honest :embarrassed: Or maybe not better... Just makes more sense. I don't know.

I've always been curious when bands make videos if they actually perform at the time, or if they lypsinc. For those of you lucky folks who happened to go to the filming site after the boat ride maybe you can answer for me. Did the guys actually perform while the taping was going on?

Hi!

No, the track was playing on tape.

It's necessary though because otherwise the video's sound wouldn't be in synch with what they do. :)

It was still amazing to watch. :awesome:

And every time I watch the video now I miss the loud sound of the fireworks!! :lol:

That was great because the explosions were perfectly synchronised to the song so it was like an extra drum beat or something haha.

It was still amazing to watch. :awesome:

And every time I watch the video now I miss the loud sound of the fireworks!! :lol:

That was great because the explosions were perfectly synchronised to the song so it was like an extra drum beat or something haha.

Yes, it was to great to watch it! I had loved the fireworks part, and it kind of took me by surprise! :cheesy:

I wish I could've stayed longer, but it was way too cold, and we left shortly after you, Anna ;)

Salut Virginie ma chérie! :kiss:

Yes, the fireworks were a bit much I think. :lol:

There was so much smoke you could hardly see them anymore hahaha

I still can't understand how the others could stay outside in the freezing cold that long. :uhoh:

Their genes simply can't be similar to mine. :laugh4:

It was the best feeling to jump into that cab and warm up a bit.

I'd never have gotten to my friend's place without my mobile because the driver didn't know where it is so I was giving him the directions I got from google maps.

Chelsea told me the next day though that some crew members gave them handwarmers, so nice!! I'd have stuck them in my boots. :lol:

Not sure if this has been posted, but this thread is mammoth and I'm a sleepy girl, so if it has, I apologise:

Coldplay’s Christmas Lights by Mat Whitecross

ColdplayChristmas.jpg

All I want for Christmas is a trio of violin-playing Elvis impersonators… Coldplay take time out from recording their new album with a rare one-off single in the form of this seasonal jolly and enlist Mat Whitecross to direct the proceedings.

“Every Coldplay shoot involves a leap of faith” explains Whitecross. “The band are always intuitive and overflowing with great ideas. My job is to try and compress as many of them as humanly possible into a four minute track”.

“Chris and Phil approached me three weeks ago to do a simple low budget video for their Christmas single. Just me, the band and a handycam, walking down Oxford Street at midnight.

“A week later we’d narrowed the location down to their studio, a music hall, a central London rooftop, or possibly even Marble Arch. But finally we found ourselves on the banks of the Thames, building a huge stage, spraying confetti and setting off fireworks in front of a boatful of a hundred fans.

“The band are the most generous, trusting and loyal friends you could ever hope for. Working with them is like making a family video on a Hollywood budget. It doesn’t get any better than this”.

Coldplay

Christmas Lights (Parlophone)

Director: Mat Whitecross

Producer: Hannah Clark

Production Company: Between The Eyes @ Pulse

Exec. Producer: Ben Pugh

Representation: OBmanagement

DP: Robbie Ryan

Production Designer: Misty Buckley

Construction: Steel Monkey

Production Manager: Natalie Bayle

Balloons: iLoom

Post Production: Marc Knapton @ Brewery FX

TK: Simone Grattarola @ Rushes

Commissioner: James Hackett

http://www.loops.net/go/news/15517959/coldplays_christmas_lights_by_mat_whitecross/

It must´ve been amazing to watch them shooting!

I´m sorry if this was discussed before, but the thread is too long,

can you tell me how they did the part where Chris is raised up from the floor? Thanks!

I only saw the beginning of it so the others can tell you more I'm sure.

It was a wooden construction, like a plank almost as long as Chris is tall.

He was lying on it and then it got lifted. It's fascinating to see the finished result of it because it looked... different to what we see now. :)

EDIT: Awww :wacky: , thank you Mich!!! :hug:

He was lying on it and then it got lifted. It's fascinating to see the finished result of it because it looked... different to what we see now. :)

EDIT: Awww :wacky: , thank you Mich!!! :hug:

Thanks, I get the idea!

Nice article :-)

And the song/video is definitely addictive, I had to play it to my daughter :D about 20 times in a row yeaterday!

Salut Virginie ma chérie! :kiss:

Yes, the fireworks were a bit much I think. :lol:

There was so much smoke you could hardly see them anymore hahaha

I still can't understand how the others could stay outside in the freezing cold that long. :uhoh:

Their genes simply can't be similar to mine. :laugh4:

It was the best feeling to jump into that cab and warm up a bit.

I'd never have gotten to my friend's place without my mobile because the driver didn't know where it is so I was giving him the directions I got from google maps.

Chelsea told me the next day though that some crew members gave them handwarmers, so nice!! I'd have stuck them in my boots. :lol:

Anna! :hug: how I miss you and all the others! ^^

Chelsea and the rest of the group were so brave to wait in the cold, we just couldn't take it anymore! I heard about the handwarmers, that's so nice from the crew (but there wouldn't have been enough to warm me I'm sure, I was beyond help :P) The ride back in the cab was also a real bliss!

Not sure if this has been posted, but this thread is mammoth and I'm a sleepy girl, so if it has, I apologise:

Coldplay’s Christmas Lights by Mat Whitecross

Didn't read it before, thank you Mich! :kiss:

Didn't see it either, we left just before that, but we did see a member of the crew try it, and it's like you've just described ;)