✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[11-June-2011] Coldplay @ Pinkpop Landgraaf festival, Netherlands

Carlaatje

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to record it as I was watching yesterday's broadcast.

Loads of familiar faces in close up by the way. Should have been there too, rocking out at the front...:\

Awesome to see the crowd reaction for Charlie Brown on television. That song is going to be huge.

Forgot to record it as I was watching yesterday's broadcast.

Loads of familiar faces in close up by the way. Should have been there too, rocking out at the front...:\

Awesome to see the crowd reaction for Charlie Brown on television. That song is going to be huge.

You'll be there next time they're here :)

Also saw a lot of familiar faces! Including myself :lol:

My review :) I was there with Raphaele. Sorry for the possible english mistakes.

Saturday morning. we go to the station to take a train to Landgraaf. When we arrive there, we decide to go to the festival by walk, it's the beginning of the day so we are still on form. We buy something for lunch and enter the festival site around 1:30pm. We discover there is a 'front area' near the stage so we enter there and at first we get the 8th row before the front row. What nobody knew is the staff empty this area after every gig, so everybody has to go.

Raphaële and I decide to buy something to eat and drink before going back to the turnstile just before the Elbow's gig. There are already people waiting there so we enter the queue. But during Elbow, people keep arriving for Coldplay and we are now in the middle of a big crowd. People start pushing and when the staff open the turnstiles, we think that we're going to pass out. I'm not exagerating, really, I was affraid to loose Raphaële and I think I have bruises in my back and in my legs... Finally we enter the front area and we reach the 4th row. As it keeps pushing, we decide to go behind and finally we have a good place. Even it's not at the front row, we can see the stage and we can breath. It's 8:30 and we wait for Coldplay now.

The gig starts a few minutes later, let's go for an hour and half of musical awesomeness. I can't describe the gig song by song but I can tell you that it's a wonderful time. First, the Back to the Future theme makes me smile because it's one of my favorite movies. The new songs (Hurts like Heaven, Major Minus, Us Against the World and Charlie Brown) are just perfect in live and it's good to hear something new. My favorite is still Charlie Brown, I don't know exactly why but I love this song and listening to it 'in real' is such a fantastic thing! Trouble is a big but good surprise and it's so nice to hear classics like Clocks, Violet Hill, The Scientist or Viva La Vida. And God put a Smile upon your Face is just amazing... I love this new version, definitly. Every teardrop is a waterfall is good in live, very cheerful and happy song.

All along the gig, I'm clapping, singing and jumping up and down but Coldplay gigs always make me be jumpy and enthusiastic. I really enjoy and love this show, the band is awesome on stage, Chris and his little speeches which make us smile, all the audience singalong the lyrics in the end of The Scientist or Fix You, Jonny's powerful guitar on Major Minus, Guy's bass on Fix You and I love the Will's drum at the end of ETIAW.. and all together on Politik and GPAS (sorry to go on and on about it but I love this new version :p) It's good to hear Coldplay again and the time flies as I realize the gig is already over. I had a very great time, sharing this moment with Raphaële was nice and once more, I know why I love this band.

Afterwards, we leave the festival. Our legs, feet, arms and back hurt, we have lost our voice and we are exhausted but happy. Every Coldplay gig is just a moment of happiness.

It's time to take the train back to Maastricht and then the hotel. We go back to Paris the next day, still on a cloud and with one thought in our mind: see you in 20 days at Werchter, Coldplay!

jf9mo8.jpg

k550l1.jpg

10r4yo4.jpg

Pics by Raphaële :)

No long review from me, just some thoughts. I just got home from Pinkpop 90 minutes ago, I bruised the soles of my feet (don't have a clue how that happened) and I'm so tired.

- I love the photo of Anna and me at the fence! The other one is pretty cool too :)

- Anna, you didn't annoy me, silly girl :nice:

- Esther, nice seeing you again

- Carla, talking English to each other when we can also speak Dutch :lol: I had fun yesterday, KOL were pretty good. Did you have enough water today? It got pretty hot later in the afternoon.

- Irene, I think I saw you when I got back from backstage but I'm not sure. I forgot your username on twitter, can you send me a pm about it?

- Bauk, I'm glad you're doing fine again!

Front row rules, the concert was amazing. I went backstage twice, but I couldn't find anyone. I found out this morning that they had a private area, you had to have a special bracelet for that.

I'm forgetting a million things, will write them down when I remember them!

Thanks for your review Anna and others!!!! I should have been there but I would have missed my elder daughter's school show so..... but can't wait for Werchter...

I'm really surprised about what you say about the new front square rules, it's very unfair and it was not the case when I was at Pinkpop 2 years ago!

Happy you could make it to the front row though!:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR66huaMsQs&NR=1]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - " The Scientist " HQ Live @ Pinkpop Festival : Landgraaf, Netherlands‬‏[/ame]

The singalong at the end is epic.

WEll done people ! :D

A review in the Volkskrant this morning of Pinkpop

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3380/muziek/article/detail/2444709/2011/06/14/Het-was-een-routineuze-en-zwakke-editie-van-Pinkpop.dhtml

It is in Dutch unfortunately, or maybe not that unfortunately 'cause it's crap. They're pretty much lashing out to Jan Smeets (the boss of pinkpop) and Coldplay because Jans Smeets was angry at the Dutch government for shortening on Culture (quite right too, our government sucks at the moment) so they lashed back because he did pay something over a million to Coldplay for playing there, so they felt he shouldn't wine about it.

Following that they just trashed Pinkpop & Coldplay, probably mainly as a payback.

What they said about the Coldplay performance:

'But when Coldplay finally arrive to the stage, 20 minutes late and there's fireworks in the air already after the first song, you question what makes this band so special.

The setlist offers at the right moments a hit, but to often there are awkward silences.

Singer Chris Martin doesn't do anything to try to break the deathly routine, and it stays a mystery what the qualities are of the colourless musicians around him.

Coldplay is playing in festival mode, with every few minutes a clap-along moment. There's no moment you feel they're making music together.'

Well I can't take any review seriously that says Tim Knol was better than Coldplay. I think the person who wrote this just didn't pay attention I didn't notice any awkward silences, nor a deathly routine, and he's clearly deaf if he missed Jonny's guitar, Chris' wit and sillyness, and Will singing and them very much being a band together, having a few songs with them actually standing close together, making music together VERY much (Us against the world).

I guess they just can't handle Coldplay being so expensive and that's the only reason they burned them to the ground. Quite sad.

So many people, so many opinions. When I read that volkskrant review, that's nothing more than not accepting that Coldplay is one of the best bands of the moment and willingly not giving in to the feeling that in a way you like them too..

The majority of the reviewers are by far positive, so for that volkskrant rievewer it is "him against the world...".

I was there and it was magical once again!

Here's a review from the Belgian newspaper De Morgen. It's written by Bart Steenhaut, who is definitely the best and most respected music journalist over here.

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1011/Concertverslagen/article/detail/1278144/2011/06/14/Afsluiter-Coldplay-is-duurste-festivalact-ooit-voor-Pinkpop.dhtml

It's a four star review that says (summary - didn't translate everything):

- Judging by the new songs, the new album will be brilliant and will contain some big hits.

- They cost 1.2 mil € to book, but it was money well spent. In fact, he says that it's a steal for such a great gig. (kind of the opposite from the Volkskrant review)

- Hurts Like Heaven has got a hook that immediately sticks.

- He loved the back to basics approach (e.g. GPASUYF, Us Against The World).

- The band - especially Jonny Buckland - sounded very tight and the set had a very fast pace (once again, that Volkskrant dude must have seen a different gig).

- VLV was a highlight, but Life Is For Living was just as good.

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall proves that you can have euphoric and melodic songs without sounding like something you'd hear at a gay party or the Eurovision song contest. :-)

And that journalist is always right. :-)

1.2million?! No wonder they're doing so many festival gigs! :P

Nice work if you can get it...

It is a lot of money. But on the other hand, Pinkpop had about 20.000 visitors in 2005 and the festival nearly went bankrupt. They had nearly 70.000 visitors on the Coldplay day alone this year. If you do the math, they're (more than) worth it.

It is a lot of money. But on the other hand, Pinkpop had about 20.000 visitors in 2005 and the festival nearly went bankrupt. They had nearly 70.000 visitors on the Coldplay day alone this year. If you do the math, they're (more than) worth it.

However, from what I've heard, the festival organisers will have to treat the fans better if they want them to return. Nobody likes to be herded around like sheep.:dozey:

Got home after 3 very nice days just 2 hours ago :D

Coldplay was really good and I loved they played Trouble! Luckily I stood almost at the front!

I think I'm going to sleep now and watch some songs later, I'm really tired :laugh3: