✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[11-June-2011] Coldplay @ Pinkpop Landgraaf festival, Netherlands

Carlaatje

They're getting a load of shit because of that money. Thankfully someone posted the the world famous booty dance to crack us up:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9aPtXqiSdw]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Pinkpop 2011 - Chris joking‬‏[/ame]

And I think de Volkskrant is known for it's negative reviews. Two years ago they dissed Coldplay for playing with too much 'perfection'. :dozey:

They were awesome at Pinkpop, no one can deny.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall proves that you can have euphoric and melodic songs without sounding like something you'd hear at a gay party or the Eurovision song contest. :-)

Haha, it's a good point ;)

Thanks for mentioning about the review!

They're getting a load of shit because of that money. Thankfully someone posted the the world famous booty dance to crack us up:

And I think de Volkskrant is known for it's negative reviews. Two years ago they dissed Coldplay for playing with too much 'perfection'. :dozey:

They were awesome at Pinkpop, no one can deny.

Yay!! Thank you! :kiss:

Hi,

(Dutch) newby on this forum. Not new to Coldplay, have been listening to them for years. :) Love the live version from the Scientist @ Pinkpop!

Anyway, is there anyone going to upload Pinkpop, for people to download?

I have recorded all the Pinkpop material (Ned 3) on a hard disc recorder, not in high or digital quality, but it's fine quality in my opinion.

Hi,

(Dutch) newby on this forum. Not new to Coldplay, have been listening to them for years. :) Love the live version from the Scientist @ Pinkpop!

Anyway, is there anyone going to upload Pinkpop, for people to download?

I have recorded all the Pinkpop material (Ned 3) on a hard disc recorder, not in high or digital quality, but it's fine quality in my opinion.

Welcome to Coldplaying! :nice:

Here is the Multimedia thread for Pinkpop:

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77264

We don't have the video of ETIAW in there yet, did you record that one, too?

EDIT: Hi Denise!! Haha, we posted at the same time. :hug:

Here's a review from the Belgian newspaper De Morgen. It's written by Bart Steenhaut, who is definitely the best and most respected music journalist over here.

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1011/Concertverslagen/article/detail/1278144/2011/06/14/Afsluiter-Coldplay-is-duurste-festivalact-ooit-voor-Pinkpop.dhtml

It's a four star review that says (summary - didn't translate everything):

- Judging by the new songs, the new album will be brilliant and will contain some big hits.

- They cost 1.2 mil € to book, but it was money well spent. In fact, he says that it's a steal for such a great gig. (kind of the opposite from the Volkskrant review)

- Hurts Like Heaven has got a hook that immediately sticks.

- He loved the back to basics approach (e.g. GPASUYF, Us Against The World).

- The band - especially Jonny Buckland - sounded very tight and the set had a very fast pace (once again, that Volkskrant dude must have seen a different gig).

- VLV was a highlight, but Life Is For Living was just as good.

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall proves that you can have euphoric and melodic songs without sounding like something you'd hear at a gay party or the Eurovision song contest. :-)

And that journalist is always right. :-)

Agree with this review a lot more than with the Volkskrant one:P Also considering that coldplay get's almost as much people to their own shows as there were at pinkpop, they really did a lot of good for this festival.

And Coldplay is a lot more than just the boys so they've got a lot of people to pay so it's not like the 1.2 mil will just be devided in four:P

Hey all!

I got back home this afternoon, and spend most of it reading this thread, and looking at photo's and video's of this weekend...

we will now interrupt this post for one of my multi quotes, and my next post shall contain my review and some pics:

Ah I didn't realise They weren't playing again until Glasto. Almost two weeks :(

Thanks for the reviews etc. It's a pity about the crowd, but I guess you risk them losing interest when you play new/obscure songs. Most of te feedback on Twitter has been positive though.

Am glad they added to the setlist, I hope they add a couple more for Glasto. I'd like to think theyd use these 4 gigs as a starting point to work off for Glasto, I reLly want them to blow everyone away.

Sounds like Anna and Carla had a great time too! :nice:

AHAHAHAHA

Anna :cheesy:

5822714232_c40f9d31da_z.jpg

Lovely banner :nice:

..and I'm out of this topic before letting the negativity flow in here too :escaping:

Love that picture!!! :heart:

so good to see Anna again! :hug:

First of all, I have to say that coldplayers are pretty awesome people. Loved meeting all of you! You guys (well, girls actually) rock! :)

I remembered Pinkpop as being a very well organised festival, but I guess that is no longer the case. There was:

- Complete chaos at the parking lots.

- Chaos in front of the campsites.

- Chaos at the entrance (we got in quite early, but it seems that it got out of hand after we entered).

- They cleared the front area after every band. As a result, Elbow played in front of a half empty pit, since a lot of people were waiting for Coldplay. I was so angry when they told us to leave the pit after De Staat, that I didn't even bother to queue for the front area anymore. We got some good spots at the barrier behind the front area. Would have preferred to be at the front with the rest of you coldplayers though. Glad you all seemed to be able to make front row!

- From where I was standing, I could see a lot of pushing when they opened the gates for Coldplay. I'm amazed noone got hurt. At some point they stopped letting people in, even though the front area was still half empty. They reopened the gates before Coldplay came on and this resulted in a lot of drunken and uninterested people being able to enter the front area. A lot of people who had been queueing for Coldplay had left by then. And that was the major reason why the crowd may have seemed so bad. The pit was half empty and lots of uninterested people at the back. At the front (and behind the pit), people were going nuts though!

- Oh, there was almost no cellphone reception at times and a lot of the cash machines did not seem to be working.

But enough about the organisation. This must have been the best setlist I have ever heard them play. A great mixture between all the albums and the new stuff! The gig reminded me a bit of the AROBTTH tour. The band was standing much closer to each other than they did during the two previous tours. This made them sound (and look) a lot tighter. Even though I loved the Viva La Vida tour, the catwalk and C-stage sometimes gave the gig (and band) a bit of a disjointed feel. This gig was a lot more focused and rocked a lot harder. It's a bit of a shame that you didn't get the full effect of the light show (and fireworks) because it only got dark during the last couple of songs.

Highlights for me were:

- The first couple of songs really hit hard! High energy from Hurts Like Heaven up until Lost. Definitely the best opening sequence of songs they've ever done.

- Trouble. Wow. Just wow. I was so not expecting this. And it sounded as good as it ever did. This song should be part of every Coldplay gig. Magical moment.

- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. This has got to be the highlight of the gig. A brilliant version of such a great song. Got goosebumps when Chris started the intro and then again when Jonny started playing the riff.

- Us Against The World. Loved the way each band member came on separately.

- Charlie Brown. This is a MONSTER live song. It already got a crowd response similar to the one you would get for In My Place or Clocks. Imagine how this will be like once they release it as a single. This could become one of their biggest songs.

- Life Is For Living. Nine long years since I last heard this live. Goosebumps during the entire song. Glad they brought this one back. I hope it stays in the setlist for the rest of the tour. It works great as a closer of the main set (I thought it always felt a bit out of place as a closer of the encores during the AROBTTH tour).

- Fix You. The only X&Y song and I'm glad they kept it in the setlist. Great encore song!

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Whatever you think about the song, it is the perfect set closer. I even think it's the best closing song they've ever had. It just works great at festivals!

Definitely one of their strongest performances I have ever seen. It could have been even better if it had been dark during the entire gig, but that doesn't substract anything from the band's performance.

This tour is going to blow everything away once it will hit arenas and stadiums. I don't think they have ever been this good so early in a tour.:)

sorry we only got to meet briefly,

we all really wondered if you were queuing up on Guy side again, since we didn't see you anywhere, and we were hoping you made it to the front as well

Just heard some stories from other people who tried to get into the front area. I'm glad none of you coldplayers got hurt. Apparently, it got really ugly after you entered. I can't imagine they'll keep this system for the remaining festival days.

Thankfully they did, but that actually bummed me out more since I had to miss elbow, and I soooooo wanted to see them, but I'll get another chance at lowlands though

No long review from me, just some thoughts. I just got home from Pinkpop 90 minutes ago, I bruised the soles of my feet (don't have a clue how that happened) and I'm so tired.

- I love the photo of Anna and me at the fence! The other one is pretty cool too :)

- Anna, you didn't annoy me, silly girl :nice:

- Esther, nice seeing you again

- Carla, talking English to each other when we can also speak Dutch :lol: I had fun yesterday, KOL were pretty good. Did you have enough water today? It got pretty hot later in the afternoon.

- Irene, I think I saw you when I got back from backstage but I'm not sure. I forgot your username on twitter, can you send me a pm about it?

- Bauk, I'm glad you're doing fine again!

Front row rules, the concert was amazing. I went backstage twice, but I couldn't find anyone. I found out this morning that they had a private area, you had to have a special bracelet for that.

I'm forgetting a million things, will write them down when I remember them!

Hey Tash! :kiss:

it was soooo great to finally meet you!

and I really liked hanging out with you on sunday! I;m glad we still found eachother after a little online help from anna..

Baukje,

I forgot to quote you :S but anyway

you're welcome! I;m just glad you're allright, and I'm so sorry you had to miss the show :( :hug:

I saw Coldplay for the second time last Suterday, I think that it was amazing. Especially Fix You and Live is for Living! I like how the band combines the new material, which I really like, with the old classics! When you're al Coldplay fan, it was a very good gig! But there were a lot of not-Coldplay-likers out there, and I think that they caused negative reactions/reviews... But we now that Coldplay are great! :)

Time for a review then:

I'll keep my looong ass intro to myself, and just say I got there late: 12:45 :shame:

even though it's not a comfy situation I would have liked to hang out with everyone

but it was still really quiet out there, I think I was 3 in the que, and I didn;t even have to run to make it to the barrier, which as we all know didn;t even matter anyway cause we were sweeped out.

it had it's advantages cause we got to eat some solid food, and use the bathroom. we started queuing again around 5, and unfortunatly ended up blocking the way for the true elbow fans (sorry :( )

I would have loved to see them as well, but now all we could do was listen.

it got pretty hot out there, and at some times pretty uncomfortable, I'll leave out the mother/child story as well, except to say her son was 11 (anna) and she made things more uncomfortable because she cut the line.. :dozey:

finally we got to go in and made a run for it, I couldn't find anna, and I spotted gioia I just seized my chance and grabbed a spot at the barrier, since things we're filling up fast. it took me a while to find out where she and natascha were standing but I finally found them on a spot on the barrier too. I have to admit I was a little bummed I couldn't be with them at first, but I really enjoyed hanging out with Gioia and Marianne, and Baukje, she was on my right, and unfortunatly she wasn't feeling well and had to leave her spot before it all started :(

apperently they we're 20 minutes late, but I didn't even notice, time flew by really fast

then Jay-z started, we were bouncing up and down to the beat, making daimonds with our hands (wembley memories) I tried to find anna and natascha, probably the only hand up in there air there:

th_P1050905.jpg

I'll keep it brief as my memory is already a blur (I'm getting to old for this shit)

I was really looking forward to the new stuff! hurts like heaven is great! and the energy on stage was great!

we got trouble! I :heart: trouble! need I say more?

GPASUYF

I loved the picked guitar playing! I can't think of another concert where that ever happend? anyone?

viva la vida ruled, I'd say from where I was standing the crowd went crazy, and IMO they we're all night, They easily started a phone wave, and everytime we'd start oo-ing, they would join in loud!

PLEASE pleas pleaassse let charlie brown be the next single!

life is for living OMG unfortunatly I was trying to keep the setlist a suprise for myself, but that one slipped through as had to get my hands on the new tracks, but daaammmmnnnn it's so great they picked up one of the underdogs :heart:

fix you might be my altime favorite live, the sing along oh my god! I;m so glad there's a good recording of that!

and the song I was most looking forward to I can't believe I'm about to admit it:

every teardrop is a waterfall

it's been stuck in my head for days, it took a little getting used to, but I realised live it must be so great, and it is!

I shook my bootayyyy hahaha

here's a selection of my fave photo's and a link to view them all:

th_P1050913.jpg

th_P1050929.jpg

th_P1050921.jpg

th_P1050932.jpg

th_P1050935.jpg

th_P1050939.jpg

th_P1050959.jpg

th_P1050968.jpg

th_P1050972.jpg

th_P1050979.jpg

th_P1060047.jpg

linky linky

Carlaa! Hi, looking forward to your review, hope you had a great time the other days!

I really love that the boys all wear different coloured pants:P

Heyyy Esther!

I saw you had a terribe trip home :(

if it makes you feel any better we didn't sleep til 6 am either as the party on the campsite went on and on and on,

but the rest of the festival was greaaaaatttt! foo fighters in particulair! :dance: