✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay have never utilised Buckland to his full ability and that's the issue. I mean I guess you've been present in the Coldplay studio for the last 12 years to be so judgemental on Buckland and Berryman.

Just because some guitarists aren't attention seeking pricks but would rather be side men doesn't mean to say they are crap. I feel that's such a narrow minded view. Buckland would rather create anthemic chilling chimes on his guitar than rape it to pieces like Jimmy Page. Doesn't make him crap. If you only buy a guitar to rape the fuck out of it then you're missing the point.

Just wondering - how much Coldplay have you listened to?

You can feel whatever you like, I find him very dull, Buckland does rape a guitar all the time by playing it in such a bland,emotionless basic manner that hasn't really evolved at all.

You must be a musical expert to give such comments!

Seeing as I've played an instrument since the age of 6,am well versed in theory as well as playing and am doing a musical production degree I would say I'm qualified enough to hold an opinion on Johnny Bucklands ability with the instrument.

I don't personally have anything against Coldplay and am glad people enjoy them but I'm not going to heap praise on a band I don't consider to be very good.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Seeing as I've played an instrument since the age of 6,am well versed in theory as well as playing and am doing a musical production degree I would say I'm qualified enough to hold an opinion on Johnny Bucklands ability with the instrument.

I don't personally have anything against Coldplay and am glad people enjoy them but I'm not going to heap praise on a band I don't consider to be very good.

Woah! Woah! Woah! Hold your horses! So you're saying that those people who do not have musical degrees aren't allowed to comment and are just ignorant for thinking that JB does a decent job as a guitarist? So people with a great knowledge of music and can play a musical instrument isn't enough because we need a good knowledge on musical theory and be taking a music degree! I'm not having that! You can simply not comment on Jonny Buckland's musical ability just by the one or two Coldplay songs you've heard. I mean I would take your point of view if you were Jonny Buckland's music teacher at school but at the moment I am taking pretty low bets that you weren't. I mean you haven't pointed to any SPECIFIC examples of Jonny Buckland being a TRULY CRAP guitarist which is pretty disappointing coming from someone who is well versed in theory and doing a degree on music!

Woah! Woah! Woah! Hold your horses! So you're saying that those people who do not have musical degrees aren't allowed to comment and are just ignorant for thinking that JB does a decent job as a guitarist? So people with a great knowledge of music and can play a musical instrument isn't enough because we need a good knowledge on musical theory and be taking a music degree! I'm not having that! You can simply not comment on Jonny Buckland's musical ability just by the one or two Coldplay songs you've heard. I mean I would take your point of view if you were Jonny Buckland's music teacher at school but at the moment I am taking pretty low bets that you weren't. I mean you haven't pointed to any SPECIFIC examples of Jonny Buckland being a TRULY CRAP guitarist which is pretty disappointing coming from someone who is well versed in theory and doing a degree on music!

Excellent point. ;)

I've heard the whole of Parachutes,X&Y and VLV so not one or 2 Coldplay songs, the guitar work is of a very basic standard, which isn't always a bad thing itself but I don't feel any emotion behind it either and I can't relate to it, where have I said you're ignorant because you're not a musician?, oh yeah I haven't, you're entitled to think he's great if you want, all I have done is say I don't think he's a particularly talented Guitarist,which he isn't, if his work does it for you then great, I just can't imagine why it would.

Well, it's natural that people with musical education can notice different things in the songs because that's what they spend lots of time studying. For fans music is more about feelings than the actual music quality and that's why we have these kind of arguments where some people can't accept criticism.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I've heard the whole of Parachutes,X&Y and VLV so not one or 2 Coldplay songs, the guitar work is of a very basic standard, which isn't always a bad thing itself but I don't feel any emotion behind it either and I can't relate to it, where have I said you're ignorant because you're not a musician?, oh yeah I haven't, you're entitled to think he's great if you want, all I have done is say I don't think he's a particularly talented Guitarist,which he isn't, if his work does it for you then great, I just can't imagine why it would.

When I buy a Coldplay album I never go buying it thinking 'I wonder what Jonny Buckland has on offer on this album!!'. I buy it because as one whole unit they make fantastic music and for me I think Jonny Buckland contributes just fine. Sure he's no Johnny Marr but he's capable a lot more but Coldplay feel they just don't need that at the moment. Sure I'd maybe like to hear more of what he's got to offer because he has more to offer but then again, Coldplay's music doesn't stand or fall on the work of it's guitar which makes them quite unique.

Oh and for one I listen to a song Don't Panic and the guitar is beautifully melted into the music. That's the thing - JB and Coldplay melt the guitar into the music, not keeping the guitar standing out like a knife planted into plasticine on a wall - something bands are so obsessed with and the fact that there are sooo many of those bands around today means they cannot stand out from each other and never do reach the top.

Look, Coldplay have been going at least 10 years, yes on recordings they may prefer guitar that is creative but blends into the background and doesn't show off, but after all this time of making music, b-sides, live recordings, covers, surely there by now would be some evidence that Johnny Buckland can play something technically very difficult, and Buckland fangirls would make sure everyone knows about it.

For example, I had no idea how Jonsi from Sigur Ros was as a guitarist (And hadn't really thought of it to be honest) but there's an acoustic version of a song on Heima (Can't remember the name) which looks pretty tricky to play, but he sings perfectly and doesn't seem to struggle whatsoever, you can tell he's a good guitarist. If we don't have any sort of proof then I don't see why you'd be assuming he's a wonderful guitarist unless you're being a bit of a fanboy.

He could be, I don't know, but why are you assuming he is? The only thing I can think of is once reading a story about how Chris first met Johnny when he overheard him playing some Stone Roses, which, if true, then yes that stuff is very technical and difficult to play.

When I buy a Coldplay album I never go buying it thinking 'I wonder what Jonny Buckland has on offer on this album!!'. I buy it because as one whole unit they make fantastic music and for me I think Jonny Buckland contributes just fine. Sure he's no Johnny Marr but he's capable a lot more but Coldplay feel they just don't need that at the moment. Sure I'd maybe like to hear more of what he's got to offer because he has more to offer but then again, Coldplay's music doesn't stand or fall on the work of it's guitar which makes them quite unique.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.:cool:

In summary, Coldplay are the sum of many parts. Nobody is suggesting Jonny is the best guitarist in the world, or that Chris is a fantastic singer. It's what they all do with their combined talents that matters, and that's what makes them for me, the best band in the world.

Oh and for one I listen to a song Don't Panic and the guitar is beautifully melted into the music. That's the thing - JB and Coldplay melt the guitar into the music, not keeping the guitar standing out like a knife planted into plasticine on a wall - something bands are so obsessed with and the fact that there are sooo many of those bands around today means they cannot stand out from each other and never do reach the top.

Yes, that's another great point. Songs (and riffs) don't need to be mega-complex to be great works of art. Many of the greatest songs of all time are pretty "simple" when all is said and done.

One of the reasons Coldplay have been so successful (and other perhaps more "skilled" bands haven't) is because they have had a great knack of producing phenomenal, uncomplicated songs such as "In My Place" and "Trouble".:smug:

Many people argue that Radiohead's songs are far more complex and have a lot more substance, but they don't do anything for me whatsoever and I find Thom Yorke's voice screechy and extremely annoying.

Jimi Hendrix may have been the best guitarist of all-time, but none of his songs do anything for me.

At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to.;)

I might get burned for this but I have to admit that the guitar in Parachutes is simple but works well with the whole album.

I don't wanna go to VLV, cos I don't really like it. If you ask me, X&Y's guitar work (Jonny's) is more noticeable than Viva's, might explain why, of all the songs in LP4, I only like CSC, since it reminds me of X&Y.

I think the problem with most people is the lack of variety Jonny has, when he could do more.

Take Clocks as an example, album version, I can barely notice there's a Buckland in there.

I might get burned for this but I have to admit that the guitar in Parachutes is simple but works well with the whole album.

I don't wanna go to VLV, cos I don't really like it. If you ask me, X&Y's guitar work (Jonny's) is more noticeable than Viva's, might explain why, of all the songs in LP4, I only like CSC, since it reminds me of X&Y.

I think the problem with most people is the lack of variety Jonny has, when he could do more.

Take Clocks as an example, album version, I can barely notice there's a Buckland in there.

I don't need Mr. Buckland's contribution to stand out in every song. As long as the song is great overall (as "Clocks" is), that doesn't matter.

I don't need Mr. Buckland's contribution to stand out in every song. As long as the song is great overall (as "Clocks" is), that doesn't matter.

People are discussing about Jonny's contribution, which seems poor (in quantity IMO), I don't give a rat's ass if YOU don't need his contribution in every song.

Edit: Also I said "most people". No one is including you in that group since you worship every bit of them.

Guest howyousawtheworld

In response to Reilly's post I do remember JB actually saying John Squire was his favourite guitarist which is encouraging. I think there's a lot of pressure Coldplay feel in people expecting them to play real rocky guitar tunes because I think they're quite conscious of their image as a band and probably slightly worried at the reaction they got if the soft rock band suddenly started playing ROCK music. But they don't really need to do that in my opinion.