✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

I never had a problem with the thread itself, just the title, which I think is unnecessarily provocative, and has resulted in "fangirl-bashing".

Alright. I respect your opinion.

So, can you suggest me another title which you think is suitable so that we will have unbiased comments which will lead to a revelation whether the song is good or not? Answer me, Mark.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem with the thread itself, just the title, which I think is unnecessarily provocative, and has resulted in "fangirl-bashing".

I don't think you should read into the title so much. What I'm sure they meant was for this thread to post unbiased opinions on the new song (because face it... people that are big fans of the band are going to more likely really like a new song than hate it)

Alright. I respect your opinion.

So, can you suggest me another title which you think is suitable so that we will have unbiased comments which will lead to a revelation whether the song is good or not? Answer me, Mark.

The World of Music Opinion of Christmas Lights?

To me its sounds like bs that you are trying to make me look like the bad person. I don't hate anyone here, I just said I got annoyed. And I still don't understand how its okay for you to hate fangirls but its not okay for someone to be annoyed by people who criticize(music) so much. And you call me narrow minded. I know people will not like things that I may like, but the thing is that I have seen that whenever someone makes their opinion here where they are happy with the song, they are immediately tagged as fangirl, so what this thread is for people who don't like the song and who criticize those who do?. So no, I don't expect people to have the same opinion as me, and you shoudn't expect people to have the same opinion as you either.

I don't see why you are so focused on making me seem hypocritical, I never said I was never negative! My original comment was just that, a comment about how i felt. Besides I can make mistakes, I just don't get hung up on things. Just like you are hung up on winning this discussion. At all costs you are trying to portray me as a dumb biased hypocritical fangirl, when you don't even know me.

Its not a moot point, its a fact. Its a forum for coldplay fans therefore there will be fangirls! No need to come in here to criticize fans for liking a band's music.that doesn't mean you can't come and state your opinions about the music either. But anyways, hating people, for liking something you hate is kind of bs too :D don't you see how you're being a little hypocritcal? And not to mention harsh with me?

And if you respond that you never said you weren't hypocritcal, well then I don't see the point of this discussion at all! Other than trying to make me seem stupid.

Just let it go, this wont get anyone anywhere. Its not even about music anymore. And all you will do is twist my words to try to be the one who is right and ill have to defend myself... neverending story.

I don't give a shit about making you look like a bad person! I don't care what other people think of you, and I also don't care what most people think of me, you came into this thread with this absolutely pointless opinion about how people can be 'negative' and 'picky', not countering any points or arguments about why people think the song is bad.

People went to the effort of giving reasonable explanations as to why they don't like the song so they could have a discussion about it, and you just dismiss them because 'picky' people annoy you. Then someone called you a fangirl and in typical fangirl mode you became over-sensitive and stubborn and have milked it as much as possible.

And I have said I'm not a hypocrite, because I'm not. You are a hypocrite because of this:

I just don't see why people can't lighten up and stop looking so much at the negatives of things.

In the context you meant generally, so what you're saying there is that generally people shouldn't have negative opinions. If you at least meant that certain people in this thread are looking into the song too much then OK, but you were talking about people generally. So did I genuinely feel that you were claiming to never have negative thoughts? No, of course not, I wasn't twisting your words I'm simply showing you that your words aren't making sense.

And the point of all this- you probably wouldn't come into a Radiohead or Oasis thread if there was a new song out that people didn't exactly agree with, and then look at all of our opinions and simply go "Ugh stop being so freakin picky". You've only used this "picky" bullshit excuse because you don't know how to defend Coldplay people with reasonable, often lengthy, opinions. It's a typically annoying fangirl thing to do.

So now let's go back as to why I responded:

If everyone loved it and we over-analysed why you wouldn't care, but because people are over-analysing and they don't like it they are being 'too picky'.

And yes there is something wrong with being a fangirl, opinions are almost always pro-Coldplay and there's clearly a biased view from a fangirl, and they have an incredibly hard time dealing with any negative views on Coldplay which is always annoying (Like what just happened here).

And looking at everything that's happened since, I'll stand by that.

Wow, how nice of you. And I don't think I started it. I posted my opinion and somebody else decided to criticize who I am before getting to know me.

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4580220&postcount=36

"Ugh" and "so freakin picky" is certainly starting it, it's right there. You made a vague comment which sounded quite rude and while I don't think you intentionally wanted to start an argument, it was always going to get a negative response from people, then someone called you a fangirl and you've been soaking up attention ever since. If you had stated your argument as "I think some of you are over-analysing the song and need to step back and look at it as a nice Christmas song as that's all it is" then it would still be annoying because you dismissed everyone's thought-out opinions on the grounds that basically they are having opinions (Make sense nah?), but at least it wouldn't be as impolite as you were. As I said I don't think you meant to start an argument, but I don't know for sure, and the more you look at your first post the more you think "Why else would someone post that but to get a reaction?".

No doubt a Radiohead fan will come back with a patronising comment like 'you've got to listen to the music within the music'. Aaah fuck off!

You would fucking love it if that happened, that's why you said it.

I laugh at the people having a go at Coldplay fan girls when most of them who are pointing the fingers are the most sycophantic gut wrenching Radiohead fans who literally think they are as good as The Beatles and that Thom Yorke can shit out a turd of gold.

Not a surprise to see you ignore the responses to this off-the-cuff "no-nonsense" bullshit.

I meant the fangirls, not Coldplay. You can slag off Coldplay all you like. I couldn't give a monkey's.

Coldplay are as shit as Mark's opinions.

I don't think you should read into the title so much. What I'm sure they meant was for this thread to post unbiased opinions on the new song (because face it... people that are big fans of the band are going to more likely really like a new song than hate it)

I still reckon the "non-fangirl" part is being patronising and condescending to diehard Coldplay fans.

The World of Music Opinion of Christmas Lights?

How sure that you can get unbiased comments from that title?

Like you said before this board is substantially about Coldplay, so by hook or by crook the fangirls will still come and post their biased fangirly opinions.

And there are some fangirls who are also regular posters in WoM, does that mean her opinions are unbiased?

See, a title change won't make a big difference.

How sure that you can get unbiased comments from that title?

Like you said before this board is substantially about Coldplay, so by hook or by crook the fangirls will still come and post their biased fangirly opinions.

And there are some fangirls who are also regular posters in WoM, does that mean her opinions are unbiased?

See, a title change won't make a big difference.

By their nature, all comments are biased are biased one way or another, so I don't know what you're getting at. These polls are all pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things anyway.

However you word it, you aren't going to be able to exclude "fangirls" from voting, as the poll is open to everyone.

I wonder what would happen if I siggied that.

Nobody would care, and you'd just make yourself look silly.:rolleyes:

I said it's substantially Coldplay orientated, hence the board name. Otherwise it would be called something else.;)

But not EVERY SINGLE SECTION of this forum is about Coldplay.

What part of "...that isn't Coldplay, believe it or not..." do you not understand?

I really appreciate your suggestion, and there might be a possibility that could work too. :) But I personally think most people won't even notice about the difference.

I am not bashing you and I have no intention to do so :lol:

If you think I did the bashing job here... :facepalm:

I wouldn't care if you were. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a fan-girl because it's just harmless fun to me.

The problem comes in when people try to be dismissive. For example, if you like Christmas Light, then it's because you're just a fan-girl. 1. And; 2. If you say it's not good, that means it's not good? Or you just don't like it? We're talking art and perception so it's not black and white. It's the same of people who say "if you like Coldplay then you're gay". Labeling something is what you do when you don't have a solid argument, in my experience. Fan-girls love Coldplay unconditionally, so what?

Well, I guess I'm just turned into a fan-girl.:laugh3:

By their nature, all comments are biased are biased one way or another, so I don't know what you're getting at. These polls are all pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things anyway.

However you word it, you aren't going to be able to exclude "fangirls" from voting, as the poll is open to everyone.

Mark, I know you understand what I'm referring as unbiased.

This is getting nowhere because you keep on

1. escaping from your own arguments with your safe conclusions.
  2. repeating the same thing again and again.
  3. playing with language matters which are unimportant.

I'm done with this.

I wouldn't care if you were. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a fan-girl because it's just harmless fun to me.

The problem comes in when people try to be dismissive. For example, if you like Christmas Light, then it's because you're just a fan-girl. 1. And; 2. If you say it's not good, that means it's not good? Or you just don't like it? We're talking art and perception so it's not black and white. It's the same of people who say "if you like Coldplay then you're gay". Labeling something is what you do when you don't have a solid argument, in my experience. Fan-girls love Coldplay unconditionally, so what?

Well, I guess I'm just turned into a fan-girl.:laugh3:

Actually if you read the thread you can see some positive opinions about the song and no one is judging that :)

Ok ill only be responding once more because tired of this. I can see your point of my first comment sounding rude, just like there are rude comments about fan girls. No I never wanted the attention or this whole drama that resulted, I would have much rather have had my comment completely ignored but then there was the insult of fan girls so I felt attacked and needed to defend myself

I still think its wrong that you are all okay for making fun of fan girls, but when someone says a comment about you, you get all offended. Well that's how fan girls feel all the time because we are made fun of constantly. I only said one comment about it and suddenly im the troll..whatever.

This whole thread is out of control. The title should maybe not target certain people. A simple "unbiased view of christmas lights" would have sufficed.

Anyways im so done with this pointless fight. You don't see my point and I don't see yours so let's agree on that and be done with this.

Fan-girls love Coldplay unconditionally, so what?

That has always been my point, particularly in view of the fact this is COLDPLAYing.com :rolleyes:

Mark, I know you understand what I'm referring as unbiased.

Yes, so what's the problem? As I said, how can you be sure the poll isn't going to be affected by "bias"? That isn't possible.

While the thread title could have been chosen more carefully, I don't think it's anything someone should feel offended by. I don't think the term itself is degrading or bashing and I'm fangirly too and don't mind being called fangirl, I know my opinions are biased when it comes to certain things.

Anyway, I think this discussion is completely unneccassary, because this wasn't meant as an attack on fangirls, but simply meant to get more neutral views on the song.

I ask everyone not to bash anyone because they're fans of Coldplay (which hasn't happened in this thread in my opinion) but moreover I also ask everyone to please accept that this thread was meant to get opinions from people who do not blindly like everything that Coldplay does, which some people who posted in this thread clearly ignored.

The difference is (as you keep forgetting), this is a board for Coldplay fans, not fans of other singers or bands.

They all have their own forums.:dozey:

You can't really expect anyone to join a forum for every band/singer they like, that is just silly. Some people's opinion about Coldplay changed over time and they have a right to stay here and talk to the people they've gotten used to even if they're not into Coldplay anymore.

Everyone knows this place is not all about coldplay, people make friends and connects through this place, some people stop liking coldplay and start getting into new bands thanks to the great threads in the WoM section. There's no need for them to leave cping just because of that.

^ Exactly, something that should be kept in mind.

I think the "non-fangirl" part was completely unnecessary, whatever way you look at it.:dozey:

You think that, fine, but I don't think tauiwi meant any harm with the title and this wasn't supposed to be an attack on fangirls and please stop playing their advocate. You're degrading them by defending them non-stop. If those who are labeled fangirls here feel bashed or offended they can always contact a mod or report posts. Believe it or not, the mods actually do like Coldplay, even if not all of them are around in the Coldplay section.

Do you have some kind of brain damage or what? :laugh3:

I reckon you should be asking yourself that question, judging by your responses.:lol:

I ask you both to please stop with personal attacks as this is leading nowhere.

^ Exactly, I don't see any harm in it.

I laugh at the people having a go at Coldplay fan girls when most of them who are pointing the fingers are the most sycophantic gut wrenching Radiohead fans who literally think they are as good as The Beatles and that Thom Yorke can shit out a turd of gold.

They are boring. Their latest stuff is like Muse with all the life sucked out of it. They are a dead band and have been since Amnesiac.

No doubt a Radiohead fan will come back with a patronising comment like 'you've got to listen to the music within the music'. Aaah fuck off!

I think you've been reminded before to please stop with always starting arguments about Radiohead. This thread had nothing to do with Radiohead or its fans and not only Radiohead fans voiced negative opinions about the song.

So please stop bringing this up and call people "sycophantic gut wrenching".

I ask everyone to remain civil and stop with any personal insults.

Ok ill only be responding once more because tired of this. I can see your point of my first comment sounding rude, just like there are rude comments about fan girls. No I never wanted the attention or this whole drama that resulted, I would have much rather have had my comment completely ignored but then there was the insult of fan girls so I felt attacked and needed to defend myself

I still think its wrong that you are all okay for making fun of fan girls, but when someone says a comment about you, you get all offended. Well that's how fan girls feel all the time because we are made fun of constantly. I only said one comment about it and suddenly im the troll..whatever.

This whole thread is out of control. The title should maybe not target certain people. A simple "unbiased view of christmas lights" would have sufficed.

Anyways im so done with this pointless fight. You don't see my point and I don't see yours so let's agree on that and be done with this.

So now you can see my point about your first post being rude but you don't care to acknowledge how you were wrong to say you didn't start anything, thus creating a further response from me to point that out, cheers.

Where did I say I felt personally offended at any point? I wasn't offended by your pointless opinion of 'picky' I was simply pointing out how pointless and irritating it was, how it didn't make sense (And you still haven't expressed the opinion in more concise terms, I actually helped you by understanding that you may mean people are un-necessarily over-analytical), and most importantly how it's a showcase of fangirl bias. By being unable to back up the first 2 of those points you are just proving that this is exactly what it is.

And if it's a problem of my view on fangirls (Which by the way has only just became your main point of view because you want to ignore everything else) then it remains, I see fangirls as annoyingly biased and 2-dimensional, and this is the case with you. People in this thread have negative opinions of the song, and you come in here, and come out with this unreasonable point of view that we're all being "picky" because it doesn't suit you, and you dismiss everyone's opinions which are often in-depth about the song, because it doesn't suit you, and for some reason you still think it's fine.

You don't claim to see my point but it's crystal clear, you came in here, made a pointless opinion which you can't back up in a rude manner, and all you've done is stirred everything up whether you meant to or not, and this is my problem generally with fangirls. They deserve to be made fun of, it's just sad that people can be so biased and blind to reasoning and opinions because it's about their precious band. If I truely love something and have a passion for it, then I'll know why, and I don't feel the need to try and persuade others to see it in the same way, I can't see why you and other fangirls can't just accept that not every single person will love Coldplay or this terrible song.

This is not a poll per se, this is a simple thread asking for opinions.

My point remains too and I'm not up for discussing it.

I also might get rather pissy if I come back from my nightshift tomorrow and still find this debate going on, because it's absolutely unneccessary.

My point remains too and I'm not up for discussing it.

I also might get rather pissy if I come back from my nightshift tomorrow and still find this debate going on, because it's absolutely unneccessary.

If you're going to be so zero-tolerance on cracking down on arguments or abuse then you're going to have to set some sort of example, threatening to get 'pissy' with us or being relatively brash about not willing to discuss topics, that isn't exactly showing the resolve that we're supposed to be showing.

Subsequently, if these little debates piss you off in real life then you should really wonder if it's worth being a moderator (It's very easy to ignore one or two topics yknow?), not to sound so utterly heartless but it's not really our concerns if you have a late-shift or not. I expect people enforcing rules around here to be doing so correctly to a certain limit, based on what's fair and not what's happening in their personal life.