✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

I think some pages ago howyousawtheworld already made points about JB's guitar work on album being simplified solely to accompany the music in the best way possible, and nobody argued with that (I mean Mogwai are shit without mega guitar solos LUL) but we also discussed whether he even has the talent to play solos or anything which is difficult technically.

You can be a shit guitarist but be great creatively no doubt, but the original point was whether he has the ability to play difficult music.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some pages ago howyousawtheworld already made points about JB's guitar work on album being simplified solely to accompany the music in the best way possible, and nobody argued with that (I mean Mogwai are shit without mega guitar solos LUL) but we also discussed whether he even has the talent to play solos or anything which is difficult technically.

You can be a shit guitarist but be great creatively no doubt, but the original point was whether he has the ability to play difficult music.

I am not a musician and can't really estimate solos for being difficult or not. But maybe more skilled people can tell if Bigger Stronger counts for decent guitar playing?

I've come to the opinion that most band musicians, if given a sheet of music, could not play it. I think most of them play by ear, and if that's what you mean I'm not sure, maybe. I'm pretty much certain that if you gave Jonny Buckland a sheet of concert guitar music he'd be lost though. :P

Band geeks <3 :lips:

I am not a musician and can't really estimate solos for being difficult or not. But maybe more skilled people can tell if Bigger Stronger counts for decent guitar playing?

I'm listening to it, certainly a lot more active, but if you mean the tremolo (trembling effect on the guitar) that's a straightforward technique. I'm not going to bother getting sheet music and learning it, but I doubt I'd be stumped. I suppose it doesn't sound much more difficult then a lot of Pink Floyd songs (Just using that example because it was quite Floydy) but the point is that Pink Floyd did have some songs that were pretty tricky to play.

Quite alot of guitarists can read music, I personally prefer Sheet Music to tabs but that may have to do with me starting off on the piano:laugh3:.

Well, I don't play guitar, I don't know the difference between tabs and sheet music. :P

Everything's in sheet music for me. :lol:

Well, I don't play guitar, I don't know the difference between tabs and sheet music. :P

Everything's in sheet music for me. :lol:

no 100% guitar expert here, but for the few i learnt is:

tabs have just the signs/info of strings or chords you have to use on a song

sheet music, you ought to know how is, you know the pentagram thing, with music symbols which give the lenght of the notes.

am i rite?

no 100% guitar expert here, but for the few i learnt is:

tabs have just the strings or chords you have to use on a song

sheet music, you ought to know how is, you know the pentagram thing, with music symbols which give the lenght of the notes.

Oh, so tabs don't have rhythm or anything?

According to the person who did this video, these are Jonny's most remarkable musical moments:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsjRkNinLdU]YouTube - Coldplay - Jonny Buckland Guitar HD Quality[/ame]

And according to this person, these are the best solos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z055gQUgHgQ]YouTube - Coldplay's Best Guitar Solos[/ame]

In my opinion, the only thing I actually like is how he played in AROBTTH 2003. The rest of his work isn't hard to try on guitar.

Guest howyousawtheworld

So in conclusion while JB's guitar work may not be technically challenging it does serve it's sole purpose well - atmosphere.

That is all!