✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I can't be arsed going back to the origins of this debate so correct me if I'm wrong; you said the Radiohead fans in here are basically hypocrites because they are just as blindly biased about Thom & Co; someone said most people would accept JB is a crap guitarist; you were pretty offended from what I remember and said he's "under-used" and we don't know how talented he is.

I'm not sure if you did reply to my main point (I mentioned it twice to make it stand out) when you say Coldplay are "under-using" JB's apparently extraordinary "talent" on the guitar, and they simply want a blend of sound that suits their music and no Slash style solo's. Now that's fair enough, nobody was ever arguing that it takes a mental shredding guitarist to make a song good, but you still went with this unfounded assumption that for whatever reason JB has a lot of talent, and you haven't said where you got this idea from (Which is what I'm looking for).

It's important to note that the person said that "most people would agree hes crap" rather then "hes definitely crap" because there's no way of knowing that, to jump to the conclusion that he has a lot of talent and we simply haven't seen it, that's something a fanboy would do. If you were to ask me how good Ed O'Brien is on guitar, or most Radiohead fans, we couldn't really tell you if he's great or crap because he's usually been the background, I'm not even sure what he does half the time to be honest (I consider myself a big Radiohead fan but I know there's people like Mike who could probably tell me otherwise about all this). But I or other Radiohead fans from what my experience wouldn't be unreasonable enough to just go "He's underused and a great talent, you wouldn't know" because we'll just leave that kindof attitude to Coldplay fans.

Well I don't give a monkey's whether you do. :dozey:

Good post, like "what can I say so I can respond?"

Errr, Reilly, Ed's work is more than the guitar thing, I believe he made the drum part in There There, also he uses his guitar effects on Thom's voice (I don't really know that well since I'm not obsessed with them).

Guest howyousawtheworld

'Because we'll just leave that for Coldplay fans to say'. Seriously Reilly? There are actually some rational Coldplay fans in this world would you believe. If you're wanting to provoke really intelligent debate (don't get me wrong what you've said is completely understandable) keep the sweeping assumptions about CP fans aside.

I really liked it. I thought that it still held on to aspects of the Viva era, but seemed to have moved into new territory as well.

I really liked how it wasn't structured like a lot of songs are (not necessarily theirs, although lots are). It was kind of in three parts: the beginning which was really soft and wistful, and then it really picked up in the candles on air flicker part, and then of course the chorus. And I liked that the chorus was repeated three times consecutively instead of verses in between.

If that makes sense. :P

I really liked how it wasn't structured like a lot of songs are (not necessarily theirs, although lots are). It was kind of in three parts: the beginning which was really soft and wistful, and then it really picked up in the candles on air flicker part, and then of course the chorus. :P

But... they do that with a lot of their songs.

starting off really quiet and it builds up into something dramatic with lots of components and then quietly simmers down at the end again.

In fact the other day I was thinking about how thats one of they didnt change it up with the last record.

When I buy a Coldplay album I never go buying it thinking 'I wonder what Jonny Buckland has on offer on this album!!'. I buy it because as one whole unit they make fantastic music and for me I think Jonny Buckland contributes just fine. Sure he's no Johnny Marr but he's capable a lot more but Coldplay feel they just don't need that at the moment. Sure I'd maybe like to hear more of what he's got to offer because he has more to offer but then again, Coldplay's music doesn't stand or fall on the work of it's guitar which makes them quite unique.

Oh and for one I listen to a song Don't Panic and the guitar is beautifully melted into the music. That's the thing - JB and Coldplay melt the guitar into the music, not keeping the guitar standing out like a knife planted into plasticine on a wall - something bands are so obsessed with and the fact that there are sooo many of those bands around today means they cannot stand out from each other and never do reach the top.

I still stand by my point that I find his work simple,emotionless and dull, you may well interpret his work in a different way but that's how it sounds to me.

I would like to know how you know he has so much to offer because I doubt you've been in the studio or seen him rehearse either.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.:cool:

In summary, Coldplay are the sum of many parts. Nobody is suggesting Jonny is the best guitarist in the world, or that Chris is a fantastic singer. It's what they all do with their combined talents that matters, and that's what makes them for me, the best band in the world.

Yes, that's another great point. Songs (and riffs) don't need to be mega-complex to be great works of art. Many of the greatest songs of all time are pretty "simple" when all is said and done.

One of the reasons Coldplay have been so successful (and other perhaps more "skilled" bands haven't) is because they have had a great knack of producing phenomenal, uncomplicated songs such as "In My Place" and "Trouble".:smug:

Many people argue that Radiohead's songs are far more complex and have a lot more substance, but they don't do anything for me whatsoever and I find Thom Yorke's voice screechy and extremely annoying.

Jimi Hendrix may have been the best guitarist of all-time, but none of his songs do anything for me.

At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to.;)

Mark, you're like a parrot, you just wait for someone else to make a point then repeat it, you're unable to offer opinions or structured arguements of your own in defence of your point of view you have to let others do it for you,therefore I'm holding every post you've made in this topic null and void because you can't make one without someone else to make it first.

I still stand by my point that I find his work simple,emotionless and dull, you may well interpret his work in a different way but that's how it sounds to me.

I would like to know how you know he has so much to offer because I doubt you've been in the studio or seen him rehearse either.

I partially agree.

Compared to some other acts I do think Jonny's guitar playing is rather simple.

Although I also think that the lead guitar isnt what makes Coldplay good.

for me its the melodies and the lyricism and some and the sense of emotion indescribable quality thats created by them all working together.

So maybe the lead guitar alone isnt as good as (fine ... crucify me for saying it) Muse because when examining that aspect of the music I think Matt does a lot more with the guitar in terms of effects as well as skill than Jonny.

But that is very different from judging the songs as a whole.

Coldplay I think benefits more from a sort of cohesiveness not just the skill in a particular instrument. Especially when they all sing together.

I love it when they all sing at once.

So... ya... that's all I have to say about that.

I partially agree.

for me its the melodies and the lyricism and some and the sense of emotion indescribable quality thats created by them all working together.

So maybe the lead guitar alone isnt as good as (fine ... crucify me for saying it) Muse because when examining that aspect of the music I think Matt does a lot more with the guitar in terms of effects as well as skill than Jonny.

Coldplay I think benefits more from a sort of cohesiveness not just the skill in a particular instrument. Especially when they all sing together.

THIS.

I partially agree.

That's fair enough and I'm happy you enjoy the band, I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't like Coldplay, all I've said is personally I don't and I don't find thier guitarist very good, I don't think you would get crucified by anyone for saying Matt is a better guitarist than Jonny,it's pretty obvious.

'Because we'll just leave that for Coldplay fans to say'. Seriously Reilly? There are actually some rational Coldplay fans in this world would you believe. If you're wanting to provoke really intelligent debate (don't get me wrong what you've said is completely understandable) keep the sweeping assumptions about CP fans aside.

No not seriously, that was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt in the context of me calling you a fanboy. I'm not going to bother bringing up the sweeping generalisations you made about Radiohead fans- or that was ok because it was just a bit of fun?

What I said was barely an insult compared to what you were writing. I'm guessing you don't consider yourself a rational fan as you completely ignored my my point which was indeed understandable and then decided to get all offended over my irrelevant last point.

You just don't get Radiohead because you have to listen to the music within the music (Happy now?).

And Alexa lul @ "Ed doesn't just do nothing he smacks the drums to a basic beat on one song" hahaha. I always thought he did that on There There because he had nothing else to do and it looks cool on stage, but yes he does have a good backing voice.

No I'm sure he doesn't "do nothing" but I just never knew what he does do.

I partially agree.

This.

While I don't think Jonny Buckland is as good of a technical guitarist as the Bellz, his guitar is for a different style of music. He's not trying to do crazy solos, he's just trying to get his guitar to blend in nicely.

So I don't really compare Jonny to Matt, as they both are looking for different styles and sounds out of their guitars. Personally, I like Matt Bellamy's style better, but both work well with their bands.