✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not one song, it's a streak of bad songs and no one is gonna "stop liking Coldplay" just the new stuff.. because the only thing the new Coldplay has in common with the old one is the name... the music can't even be deemed as "similar"

If I may ask . . . what was it about Viva that you didn't like? (I assume you're talking about Viva, but please correct me if I'm wrong)

If I may ask . . . what was it about Viva that you didn't like? (I assume you're talking about Viva, but please correct me if I'm wrong)

Pretty much everything in general. The only songs I'm ok with I guess are Cemeteries of London, Violet Hill and DAAHF but they still can't be compared to the wonder that was every song off Parachutes and AROBTTH.

It's just not my cup of tea. If it's yours then that's fine, I'm just pretty disappointed and needed to rant.

Okay here's a tip:First listen to the new song then listen to clocks right after that.

Truely, at the moment I prefer ETIAW much more.

@locust

Why you blame always Brian Eno? It was not Eno which contacted Coldplay, Coldplay WANTED TO DO SOMETHING NEW because the feared that we fans are bored with always the same stuff - and this is also right.

Coldplay wanted to change something, it wasn't eno who forced them!

MY HUMBLE OPINION

So after a few listens, here are my initial thoughts on ETIAW.

At the opening of the song, after hearing the synth/whatever I thought wow that article from The Sun (before the song was even released) was right: “The new Coldplay single Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is an up-tempo hit. It is crying out for Swedish House Mafia to get their hands on it for anthemic Ibiza club nights.” I was hoping they were joking, but they were spot-on. I heard the guitar part and thought oh interesting Jonny is doing something a little different. I do like the overall build-up of the song.

That being said, the lyrics didn’t seem any better (originally I wasn’t going to pass judgment on them until I listened to the song). And I don’t care for Chris’ “singing”; I wouldn’t really call it singing, yet I don’t want to go so far as to call it rapping either (that would be an insult to rappers). But then I realized it was probably a good thing he is doing this. Why? Because it is obviously supposed to be an “arena” song. And we all know how much Mr. Energizer Bunny loves to hop around and cover every bit of the stage, which screws up his singing and makes it choppy. Therefore, with this song he can do all that hopping around and his “singing” will still manage to sound like the studio version.

To further play on the “arena” quality of the song, we all know that’s a part of every era. Yellow for Parachutes, Clocks for AROBTTH, Fix You for X&Y, and VLV for VLVODAAHF. So in that sense, I can’t completely bash ETIAW. It’s a requirement of sorts, especially considering they haven’t yet released LP5 and they start festivals tonight.

My favorite part of the song is 3:01 – 4:03; based on my last comment in the first paragraph and all of the second paragraph, you can figure out why.

I’m mildly annoyed by the fact that they sampled something else. Oddly enough last night I was watching Fuse and Jay Z’s “Big Pimpin” came on, which sampled an Egyptian song. R&B / rappers have made an art form of sampling and do it very well. However I cringe knowing it is such an obvious part of this new song. Chris, I realize Jay Z is your buddy, but you don’t have to try to be like him.

Oh and a big WTF for iTunes labeling this song as Alternative. Seriously.

SO… even though I’m not a huge fan of ETIAW, I’m still looking forward to LP5. Just like my gut instinct was that ETIAW would be an upbeat song, my gut instinct is that ETIAW will not be representative of LP5 as a whole. So in that sense I’m looking forward to seeing good quality videos tomorrow from the festival, since apparently they will be playing multiple new songs, not just ETIAW.

Okay, I have to say something now. Sorry for my English, though.

First of all to all those "stop hating Coldplay for not liking one song" - guys:

Its not because we don´t like one song... it´s because this song stands for their next album... it shows us, how mainstream this will be. How can you - as Coldplay (!!!) - present a song like this as a headliner for a next album? Not to mention that this IS NOT EVEN A Coldplay song -.-

Some people could say Coldplay started beeing mainstream with X&Y... some say with VLV... but come on, THIS single is nothing else than absolute crappy mainstream music. Of course there are some nice parts here and there, but there are millions of musicians who could have written that song. Whats with Politik, Daylight, Speed of Sound? These songs were pure brilliance. I mean, even songs like In my Place and Speed of Sound are a bit mainstream, but that was okay... it was Coldplay and thats the point... this is not Coldplay anymore... they are selling the name Coldplay just for making more money and beeing more popular after realizing that Viva La Vida brought such a win in their pockets...

Believe me, I am living for Coldplay... I love ALL of their Songs. Really, ALL. But this song... dont care if its good or not - it´s pop music at it´s worst -.-

the whole viva album sounds to commercial not artistic.

Which songs except Viva la Vida are really commercial songs?

Only because it is succesfull it doesn't mean it is commercial.

Viva la Vida is the musically best album of Coldplay, with many variations, new instruments, different characters... the question is how you like it.

The other albums have nearly the same tune and the songs are very similar to each other. Viva has great differences in style and tone.

But its your choice which album/style you prefer, this is a personal decision.

How so? Viva and Lost! are certainly commercial-y, but what about 42 and DaaHF and Cemeteries?

only DEAHF is good the rest is garbage really i'm serious.:cool:

but i think we have to blame the producer for this sound and not coldplay 100%

because the producer destroyed also U2's sound.the producer=the sound destroyer.

Is the stream working for anyone?! I would love this so much! :awesome:

edit: Yeah that's for tomorrow but it'll still be cool! :cool:

No I can't get it to stream, hence why I'm looking for someone who speaks German here who can help. I know it's not until tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to it if it works!!!

I'm thoroughly disappointed with this hyped release...

All that build-up and a less than average song.

Very poor Coldplay, I think you'll lose quite a few die-hards with this next album.

And there will be tousands of new fans which replace this old, "die-hard" fans who are just depressed because Coldplay didn't relase album in the same way like AROBTTH.

This is a normal process: A band want to make something new, there are often many new fans but on the other side some old fans "leave"...

Which songs except Viva la Vida are really commercial songs?

Only because it is succesfull it doesn't mean it is commercial.

Viva la Vida is the musically best album of Coldplay, with many variations, new instruments, different characters... the question is how you like it.

The other albums have nearly the same tune and the songs are very similar to each other. Viva has great differences in style and tone.

But its your choice which album/style you prefer, this is a personal decision.

i think 'Strawberry String' is the strongest song on LP4 and i hoped coldplay would continue that way.it's really artistic in every way.

Still every coldplay album has success LP5 could be their first real flop album if it sounds totally like the new song,the sound of this new song sounds to math and has no depth at all,and without depth in the lyrics and sound you will get bored real soon it only takes a week,for people who like it so far.

I went to Wembley Stadium to see them...

But who seriously would see them to hear a set-list that consists of songs like this?

No way. The stadium would be half-empty.

I thought its too popular and commercial for you? So the stadium have to be filled, or not?! :rolleyes:

Wait. If I remember correctly, Coldplay said they were going to have more you know, acoustic stuff. This song is definitely not acoustic.

Exactly. That's why I'm starting to get the suspicion that this may be another stand-alone single rather than a song for LP5. It may just be a festival song, something to get the crowd going since they only have a handful of really upbeat songs like Yellow and Viva.

i think 'Strawberry String' is the strongest song on LP4 and i hoped coldplay would continue that way.it's really artistic in every way.

Still every coldplay album has success LP5 could be their first real flop album if it sounds totally like the new song,the sound of this new song sounds to math and has no depth at all,and without depth in the lyrics and sound you will get bored real soon it only takes a week,for people who like it so far.

Coldplay won't any time release a album with 10 songs which sounds exactly. They learned of X&Y and also in a way of AROBTTH/Parachutes. Consequently you'll hear different songs with different characters - like Viva!

And there will be tousands of new fans which replace this old, "die-hard" fans who are just depressed because Coldplay didn't relase album in the same way like AROBTTH.

This is a normal process: A band want to make something new, there are often many new fans but on the other side some old fans "leave"...

Could you stop it already please?

We are not "just depressed because this isn't like AROBTTH", you are completely missing the point.

I disagree that this is the 'normal process'... the few bands that have tried this, like MCR, have seen large turnovers in fans after each album... leaving the original desperately disappointed. Where as Muse have had the same core fanbase, that keeps growing and growing after each album... hence why they are so successful and why the vast majority of bands stick to a sound that works.

The beginning few lines may be a bit pop-ish, but I would have to disagree about the rest of the song. There's depth there, you just have to look for it.:)

Oracle just said that the album wasn't going to be like this and we have no idea what's going to be on LP5. I don't see why everyone is losing faith in Coldplay right now just because they don't like a new song. I'm sure everyone has songs from there favorite bands that they don't like all that much. :confused: