✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

I thought its too popular and commercial for you? So the stadium have to be filled, or not?! :rolleyes:

I've never said that it's "too popular and commercial", so I don't know where you've got that idea from. This song won't be popular with the mainstream industry or the majority of the Coldplay die-hards, because it's simply not very good...

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oracle just said that the album wasn't going to be like this and we have no idea what's going to be on LP5. I don't see why everyone is losing faith in Coldplay right now just because they don't like a new song. I'm sure everyone has songs from there favorite bands that they don't like all that much. :confused:

then i have hope again :)

someone on internet said that the sound of this song is stolen,the orginal is from peter allen's 'i go to rio' they say.after i heard 'i go to rio' i thought the same.

If you go to the Recordings on coldplay.com and look at the lyrics, they give credit to I Go To Rio/Peter Allen at the bottom. They are also credited as the artists (along with Coldplay) when you pull up the song info in iTunes

I mean this song will, I'm sure as campy and slightly awkward it is as a single, will play a great role in LP5.

Let me explain. I think that the album can be considered a concept album when it comes out. As their careers continue, each release becomes less of a "song-by-song" work and becomes more conceptually-tied. The singles used to be a bigger deal because they were each an individual creative entity: A separate work, if you will. Whereas Viva La Vida definitely had a theme (Like how the album faded into and out of itself the same way, plus motifs like "My feet won't touch the ground" and stuff).

The differences between "Parachutes" and "VLV" are great, and even people who hate Coldplay can admit that. One isn't better than the other, they're just different.

That being said, look at the singles released from each album, respectively. Parachutes had "Yellow," "Shiver" and "Trouble," which all received substantial radio airplay and can be sung even by people who don't know about Coldplay.

Same with AROBTTH. "Clocks". "In My Place". Etc.

X&Y is more cohesive as an electronic vibe. "Speed of Sound" did okay on the radio. I remember hearing it for the first time (I was 16) and being like WTF CHRIS. Also was the lead single. But the other stuff, not as well as previous efforts ("Talk" "The Hardest Part"). But these songs still played a pretty big role on the album.

AND Viva (save for the title track). Who has EVER heard "Strawberry Swing" on the radio? "Lost!"? Lost! Is one of my favorites, but God I couldn't tear it from its place in the album because there's no way "Cemeteries" can smoothly transition to "42" in my mind (even if ghosts are living there!).

Therefore, Coldplay I think is going for the same type of thing here. For proper promotion they must release a big, catchy, soaring arena song like this. Do you think they wanted to release "Speed of Sound" which just so happens to sound almost exactly like "Clocks?" I doubt it.

We should not judge this as a single piece. It's like judging a book by its cover. Or a whole movie by a 30-second clip. Perhaps this is the conclusion or attitude of a conceptual protagonist within the album.

We HAVE to give it a chance people. Not to do so is a little ignorant/impatient.

We've waited like 3 years, what's another couple months?!

If you go to the Recordings on coldplay.com and look at the lyrics, they give credit to I Go To Rio/Peter Allen at the bottom. They are also credited as the artists (along with Coldplay) when you pull up the song info in iTunes

then its the first time that they admit that coldplay steals like they did with viva la vida.

And there will be tousands of new fans which replace this old, "die-hard" fans who are just depressed because Coldplay didn't relase album in the same way like AROBTTH.

This is a normal process: A band want to make something new, there are often many new fans but on the other side some old fans "leave"...

This is not a normal process, specially when you see loyal fans like me and many others who have been into coldplay since parachutes or arobtth. It takes a lot of crappy songs to lose these kind of fans and that's what it's so frustating for us to hear songs like this one, because we know they can do better. If they make good music they'll win new fans without losing old fans during the process.

I'm listening to Parachutes now and I can't believe it's the same band that released ETIAW, seriously. They can do way better and settling for less is just sad.

This is not a normal process, specially when you see loyal fans like me and many others who have been into coldplay since parachutes or arobtth. It takes a lot of crappy songs to lose these kind of fans and that's what it's so frustating for us to hear songs like this one, because we know they can do better. If they make good music they'll win new fans without losing old fans during the process.

I'm listening to Parachutes now and I can't believe it's the same band that released ETIAW, seriously. They can do way better and settling for less is just sad.

AMEN

Truely, at the moment I prefer ETIAW much more.

OH MY GOD.

I know it's a question of personal preferences, but OH MY GOD.

Next time you try to make me (and others) believe that you like songs based off the complexity and originality of the music and the lyrics.... you'll hit the biggest wall you've ever hit.

100% agree with you... successful bands keep their 'signature sound' that die-hards from the start both know and love.

I'm on my bed listening to....... listening to Parachutes. And I think I'll cry :):)

wtf, today I realised that I have lost my coldplay, my dear old coldplay.

BUT well, we have to go on. I hoped they would have done something new, but I hoped another direction. I didn't want necessary another parachutes, that's not the point, but this album is going to be a post viva album, commercial and "screaming fans collector". I'm really sad for this.

Anyway I like the song, it's not shit, but yeah, it doesn't make me SHIVER like it happened in 2001 when i heard for the first time a song called Spies. Well I hope they will be able to make me shiver again...keep one hoping for another time.. :) I'll keep on being a die-hard fan..for now :)

then its the first time that they admit that coldplay steals like they did with viva la vida.

Wut? O_o It isn't stealing, actually. I can name off a whole list of bands that sample (proper term thar :P) from other singers. Coldplay has done it several times: Life In Technicolor (from John Hopkin's 'Light Through The Veins') and Talk (from Kraftwork's 'Computer Love')

They even sampled from themselves with Speed Of Sound (as it uses the same decreasing piano sequence used in Clocks) :)

OH MY GOD.

I know it's a question of personal preferences, but OH MY GOD.

Next time you try to make me (and others) believe that you like songs based off the complexity and originality of the music and the lyrics.... you'll hit the biggest wall you've ever hit.

Its because I heard Clocks 100000000000000 times, ETIAW is new, fresh. I'm in a good mood, its sunny outside, some fresh winds... nice summer day.

I prefer Clocks at night.

I'm curious about LP5-era and the pre-song is great in my way of thinking. The era of AROBTTH is finished for me, I really love the songs but at the moment I feel like: Let's do something new!

And I think also that ETIAW is more complex than clocks. Clocks is more structured and clearer in melodic and atmosphere. ETIAW hits more musically places, it is in a way bigger if you know what I mean. It's more various...I like it very much, similar to Clocks...

If you hate it, don't make the rest of us hate it. It's simply different.

Either way, you're still (Cold)playing the game. If you want to quit, that's great. But we're Coldplaying and not about to quit until we hear the album.

I think we should all make nice and say one thing we like about it and one thing we hate about it. Me?

I like the uplifting feel of it.

I hate how the main auditory theme of the song was sampled. URRRGGG

EVERYONE KISS AND MAKE UP. OR STOP COLDPLAYING WITH US.

My view

Well I like it, not the best song they've ever released but I like it. I respect the fact they've tried something a little different from their norm.

If you feel they have betrayed you or the song sounds to commercial (which I find a bit of a pointless accusation because they have been pretty commercial. They have never been a niche band), then don't listen to the song, wait for the album. If you don't like that then its not a horrible thing, calm down they are only a band and they have plenty of songs that you like that you can listen to.

I just think some people need to calm the hell down. If you like it, then like it if you don't listen to the old stuff, plus there are plenty of artists out there that are 'less poppy' & 'less commercial' that you can listen to.

All power to the boys for trying something they wanted to do. I personally can't wait for the new album this song hasn't changed that at all. If there are other songs that sound like this on it then cool because I like it.

That's just my two cents anyway.

AMEN

100% agree with you... successful bands keep their 'signature sound' that die-hards from the start both know and love.

Let's hope that the album wouldn't be like this song.

And your comment is awesome, Lore.

+1

haha thanks guys :shy:

I'm on my bed listening to....... listening to Parachutes. And I think I'll cry :):)

wtf, today I realised that I have lost my coldplay, my dear old coldplay.

BUT well, we have to go on. I hoped they would have done something new, but I hoped another direction. I didn't want necessary another parachutes, that's not the point, but this album is going to be a post viva album, commercial and "screaming fans collector". I'm really sad for this.

Anyway I like the song, it's not shit, but yeah, it doesn't make me SHIVER like it happened in 2001 when i heard for the first time a song called Spies. Well I hope they will be able to make me shiver again...keep one hoping for another time.. :) I'll keep on being a die-hard fan..for now :)

I kinda feel the same, but I still hope the new album will be good. It sucks to be always saying "I miss the old coldplay" because we all know they won't go back to their old simple and beautiful style, but they still could make great songs. I think I'll always love coldplay because they have been such a big part of my life, but I'm not sure I'll be a fan of the LP5 era and that makes me a bit sad.

If you hate it, don't make the rest of us hate it. It's simply different.

Either way, you're still (Cold)playing the game. If you want to quit, that's great. But we're Coldplaying and not about to quit until we hear the album.

I think we should all make nice and say one thing we like about it and one thing we hate about it. Me?

I like the uplifting feel of it.

I hate how the main auditory theme of the song was sampled. URRRGGG

EVERYONE KISS AND MAKE UP. OR STOP COLDPLAYING WITH US.

Well, I like that they're trying something new, broadening their horizons with an uplifting, happy song

I don't like that Chris's voice is all weirded out and buried underneath the layers of synthesizer melodies, and I don't particularly like Will's solo at the end.

Not a bad song, but definately not their best :\

^ That's cool, I just don't like people violently angsty against the song. I wasn't talking about you specifically. You're fine. I don't like it when people are like

OMG RADIOHEAD IS SOOO MUCH BETTER

EEEWWW THEY STOLE IT

Really? Shut the hell up! Let's be more like critics and less like children.

If you like Radiohead better (They are fantastic) listen to that, but don't throw poop all over this forum by making comparisons that don't make sense.

Well I like it, not the best song they've ever released but I like it. I respect the fact they've tried something a little different from their norm.

If you feel they have betrayed you or the song sounds to commercial (which I find a bit of a pointless accusation because they have been pretty commercial. They have never been a niche band), then don't listen to the song, wait for the album. If you don't like that then its not a horrible thing, calm down they are only a band and they have plenty of songs that you like that you can listen to.

I just think some people need to calm the hell down. If you like it, then like it if you don't listen to the old stuff, plus there are plenty of artists out there that are 'less poppy' & 'less commercial' that you can listen to.

All power to the boys for trying something they wanted to do. I personally can't wait for the new album this song hasn't changed that at all. If there are other songs that sound like this on it then cool because I like it.

That's just my two cents anyway.

And what a great two cents it was! ;)

Its because I heard Clocks 100000000000000 times, ETIAW is new, fresh. I'm in a good mood, its sunny outside, some fresh winds... nice summer day.

I'm curious about LP5-era and the pre-song is great in my way of thinking. The era of AROBTTH is finished for me, I really love the songs but at the moment I feel like: Let's do something new!

And I think also that ETIAW is more complex than clocks. Clocks is more structured and clearer in melodic and atmosphere. ETIAW hits more musically places, it is in a way bigger if you know what I mean. It's more various...I like it very much, similar to Clocks...

I'm sorry, how does adding a ton of synths touch more musical places? How is it more original and better built? Yeah Clocks is clear cause everything is there, the synths aren't louder than the rest of the instruments, contrarily to ETIAW.

I also personally put a lot of importance in the lyrics, even though I looove instrumentals, in a song where there are lyrics, you need to feel like the authors thought them through and didn't write them one night when they were drunk.

It's just like that and Clocks (or any other song written before 2011) >>>>>>>>>> ETIAW.

I also don't want the songs to all sound like AROBTTH. I am welcoming the change too. Although, I just would prefer if this change didn't mean going in a simpler/easier direction than what they've done before.

In a few days/weeks you will regret that statement. ETIAW is easily the weakest single yet.