✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely a weird song to try and wrap my head around. While I like it and want to really enjoy it, I dont want the new album to just be Viva2.0 I think we just expect more from our boys than that. Maybe our expectations are just out of reach. I do thoroughly Jonny's part in all this. I just dont want Coldplay to cave into being just another mainstream artist with dance beats all over their music.

Haters gonna hate, Trolls gonna troll. Bitchez gonna bitch.

I was taken aback at first because that's not at all what I expected. I was kinda thinking it would be like a LiT kind of vibe. But this works too.

Sampling works sometimes (LiT) but LiT was integrated so prefectly and struct a perfect balance between Hopkins and Coldplay. They seem to do it A LOT though. Once every album since X&Y, if I'm not mistaken. Arguably, more that once in Viva (Cough Cough Santarini) (By the way I'm on Coldplay's side for that one). I'm just saying a lot of people may sat that. The haters mentioned above, perhaps?

Anyway, it's not the best Coldplay song, but neither was Violet Hill (my least favorite from Viva), which was the first out of the gate from Viva, which was stunning.

Is that what they're trying to do, anyway? Come out with the best song right away?

I still have faith in something great.

Have we forgotten that these guys are geniuses? They know what they're doing.

This is "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Samples."

i personally am loving the song but i want to say something to any people who fall in the group of people who think they haven't done enough with the song. for those people who thinks its too big of a change, i just can't understand where you're coming from. i can respect your opinion but not understand it.

while i love this song, i also realize it might be the "broadest" song on the album - it's their first single. those songs are always the most mainstream for any band. very few bands would do a radiohead and put out some crazy song - even they don't do that anymore.

so i really do think the album looks good if this is the first single. i'm excited and i really love this song!

I just can't help myself from loving this song, and I don't care if it's 'not creative' or 'boring' to some people, it's a lead single and it's a fun one at that. But it also bears the mark of Coldplay lead singles, they're good, but not the best on the album and Jonny always has some killer riff (Shiver, In My Place, Violet Hill). If it's treated like anyone of those songs I'll be perfectly happy.. as a potential album closer I'm not so sure.. but please please Jonny don't let this be the only song where you actually play guitar, please let it carry over for the entire album once!

Strange...I experienced the same build-up with everyone all week long, full of unspeakable anxiety. But the moment I sat in my car this morning and blasted the song for the first time, I wasn't thinking about "old Coldplay", or the "new direction" or all the premature negativity around the lyrics or cover art. I suppose my head was quite clear from all of that because I just sat there fully enveloped, mouth dropped open, soaked in a blissfull ambiance of Coldplay magnificence. I listened to it repeatedly on the way to work, so excited to see the comments on these forums; to see how others must be drooling similarly about how the song made them feel. Instead I'm completely taken aback by how downplayed the response is: the "so-so's", the ranking of 4's and 7's, the immediate likenesses drawn to LIJ and VLV (which was a predictable comparison given the early insight) while even some are now dissillusioned about the new sound, even putting into question their continued devotion to the band. It's sort-of heartbreaking to see. Perhaps on the flip-side it's heartbreaking for those "old-school" fans to embrace...I dunno. Not this fan.

I also don't see the song, as some hyperbolize, as aimed at "15 year-olds". Coldplay's music has always trenscended age groups regardless; and I greatly respect their ability to do that. I think it's also a bit unfair for so many to immediately assume that the rest of the album will share the same mold of this first song. Had VLV been the first song on the previous album perhaps that would've been the same conclusion to draw. However, that album turned out to be quite different altogether (admittedly, more ecclectic perhaps). These are my opinions of course, and I do respect everyone elses' even though I may dissagree. I just wanted to convey my dissapointment, less with the song, and more with the reactions. I'm honestly baffled..it's an amazing song that was completely unexpected even with all of the early rumors about it being "dancy", etc.. This song actually leaves me starved for more, as if waiting for the punch-line. I'm so impressed by their growth and development, and the culmunating of their talents; reaching in new ways. I can't wait to go for another swim it again already.

I've finally caught up on 10 hours worth of posts; I'll post my initial reaction in a little while.

In the meantime... remember this? Do you think ETIAW is one of these? I think maybe it's the one in the upper right or middle. Or maybe the bottom one second to the left.

blog111pic3.jpg

stop saying Haters gonna hate! I am one of the people who are not haters but I just don't like the song. Is that acceptible around here?

It's too early to judge. That's why people are saying that.

I think we're all confused because we were expecting something revolutionary, and there's nothing Coldplay could have done to fulfill that.

Could you tell me what exactly we were expecting? No one could have. Because we were anticipating a new era. And Coldplay is known for their dramatic switch-ups in EVERYTHING between albums. Remember X&Y? When Speed of Sound dropped we were confused because it sounded EXACTLY like clocks.

It's a Lose/Lose battle for them. Get what I'm saying?

Then the rest of the album came out and sounded completely different.

As Coldplay fans, we're not so much embracing the fucked up thought processes that Chris and company have, we're celebrating the freedom of having those thoughts as a single creative entity. No matter how turbulent that is.

RIP Viva, by the way. It was a good run.

stop saying Haters gonna hate! I am one of the people who are not haters but I just don't like the song. Is that acceptable around here?

Of course...if you don't say something like: " Where is good old Coldplay with Amsterdam, Warning Sign and so on...????". :P

Besides I'm so in love with this song and I was sooo sceptical before...I really fearded (!!!) my first time of listening. But it was so amazing for me!

EDIT: GOOOOSSSEEE BUMBPS! :D

what were you guys expecting? Viva La Vida Part II - The Return of Prospekt?

every Coldplay album sounds different than every other Coldplay album.

i'm going to keep my mind open on this one. it's certainly growing on me, and as has been said, it's a great summer tune!

what were you guys expecting? Viva La Vida Part II - The Return of Prospekt?

every Coldplay album sounds different than every other Coldplay album.

i'm going to keep my mind open on this one. it's certainly growing on me, and as has been said, it's a great summer tune!

PREACH!

By the way, love the picture.

HAHAHA That sounds like a ridiculous summer sequel. I'm pumped for this new era. I will miss the Technicolor stuff though...

I was reading old R#42 blogs and came across this one: http://coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=621&page=0

The second picture has a 'secret stash of Chris's songs' and the one includes the phrase "......io riff" That could have been Road To Rio riff (or whatever the song's called). Roadie mentions that this group of songs is the "c-List" which may or may no have made the album, but seems unlikely that it would. Chris and the band could have pulled this song out to entertain the fans over the summer before the official announcement. Is it plausible? Probably not, but I thought it was interesting.

I was gonna overlook the lyrics and wait for the song, but that didn't play out either.

My initial thought was that it's got to be a joke.

I don't want dance music, I want guitars ... I want them to actually play their instruments, is that too much to ask? Now once again, there's gonna be keyboards on stage as an alias function, while most of the music is coming from the speakers and not from their instruments.

Oh and look, the high notes on VLV worked so wonderful live for Chris, these are gonna work just fine too, I bet.

Am I a hater now? Fine.

I'm sorry, I sound pissy, but I was looking forward to a new song and I'm disappointed, I won't hide that.

Of course...if you don't say something like: " Where is good old Coldplay with Amsterdam, Warning Sign and so on...????". :P

Besides I'm so in love with this song and I was sooo sceptical before...I really fearded (!!!) my first time of listening. But it was so amazing for me!

EDIT: GOOOOSSSEEE BUMBPS! :D

I am not saying that. :dozey: :D