✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

Also, one more quick opinion on the nature of music re: a post I saw buried in here somewhere:

If I never let any music grow on me, including Coldplay songs, and took everything I heard based on my first opinion of it, I'd listen to about three artists, and maybe four albums total. Maybe that's just my particular method, but I don't liken "a grower" to something I've forced myself to like at all. There is ONE BAND in the world that I've liked on first listen/heard one song from for the first time ever and decided to investigate more instantaneously, and that's Phoenix. Every other band I've had to cycle around to at least twice to get into. Same thing with individual songs and albums from those bands. I don't think re-trying things I haven't been so hot on at first as being a bad thing at all. :shrug:

That's partly true, but not exactly what I meant to say. It's the continuous listening of a song to make it grow on you, that's what I don't agree with. There are simply songs that you can identify as being able to grow on you and others that you just know never will, this is one of them (for me anyway)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was like that at first, because I was expecting it to sound much different. But now I like it.

And by the way to The Joker. We get it, you don't like the song, you can stop saying that now. Also, if you seriously asked the Oracle for your money back then you're just a jerk.

I love how people who love the song can talk as much as they want. but when one negative opinion comes in it is a fuckin sin

I don't think I've posted in this thread today. It's a bit too much for me on both ends of the spectrum.

But I will say that even though I was one of the "Debbie Downers" that had my reservations about this, I took it simply on face-value at first listen...and I quite like it. I still like it a lot of listens later. It has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons I like Coldplay and the lyrics are utter poo, but if it's a song I heard somewhere from some artist I'd never heard of, I'd say "hey, this is super-poppy and fluffy, but I actually like this." It might fall under the category of "guilty-pleasure song," but I'd personally like it anyway. Ergo, there are my reasons for liking it. I'm over trying to liken this band Coldplay has become to the band they once were, personally. I like both for different reasons. I like the old Coldplay for more important reasons, I think, but when I get worried or in doubt, I really just try to take it back to sound alone, separated entirely from band name or genre or history. I'm trying not to consider how I feel about a Coldplay song being liked as a "guilty-pleasure song," but that tact's working for me.

I also said this in another thread: It's poppy and fluffy, sure, and while I'm not really a grand fan of their movement in that direction since [insert date here, it's debatable], and they don't make it easy to be a fan of theirs (especially when you like other ~legitimate~ music), but I've learned not to really expect anything else, and I think I've become more accepting of different styles of music BECAUSE of Coldplay and this board, which includes finding value in a lot of things I would have dismissed as too commercial and crowd-pleasing before.

Now, as for all the discussions and spats about all this, I just implore people to consider the following:

1. An opinion is not a fact, so don't act like it is, please

2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion

3. One song is indicative of nothing in a larger sense

4. If you're really distressed about how this is making you feel about the band or their trajectory or whatever, I just recommend trying to strip away everything but the pure sound and whether or not you have any mote of enjoyment listening to it, regardless of artist or dashed hopes. If you still hate it, completely valid. But I say it's worth a shot.

Thanks for this. I think a lot of people go with knee-jerk reactions or let their emotions get a hold of them before they think about things. It didn't help with the build-up before the release...

Chelsea is a fantastic person (this is Darcy, by the way, so you're not creeped out :nice:)

On first listen, I actually think it is pretty okay. A little poppy for my taste, but undeniably catchy and happy and all. The lyrics are fairly crap, which makes me a bit sad, but JONNY'S GUITAR. I know that Chris said that Jonny would be getting a little more spotlight with this album, but that was still pretty surprising and yay.

I'm not sure what to feel. Really at a lost for words atm. It's not what I expected though, I will give them that. But there's definitely hope. I've listened about five times since returning home a short while ago and it seems to get better every time. It's not a bad song I don't think. I just don't know how to process it yet. I might well be obsessed with it in a week. lol

Not true about the Violet Hill thing I read awhile back. Well, maybe it was here and that people were skeptical about/displeased with it. But for some reason i loved it since the first time I got it off the site and heard it. It had that somewhat hard-rock feel with the jarring riffs that I always listened to with my Dad. Maybe that's why.

At first I was really excited for the single and once I heard it at first I wasn't entirely sure what to expect and whether I liked it or not. After listening to it a couple of times, I really liked it! I loved the colorful fast paced rhythm of it and I loved Jonny's guitar part! The lyrics weren't so bad and I'm sure it will grow on me. This is definitely the era of a new Coldplay and I can't wait to see how the next album or single will turn out! However there were something I didn't like about it.

1. I was worried in the intro that Chris sounded autotuned, since his voice is great and I really would hate it they messed with his voice

2. The sampling, it's a large part and I'm scared they'll forget how to be creative and just be lazy when it comes to making music.

3. Chris almost sounds like he's been drowned out by the sound and trying to yell, but now that I think about if they were purposely trying to do it and show a sense of urgency in the music then it worked1:thumbsup:

I think that ETIAW could have been way better if the lyrics were more about our generation rising up to lead the world in a new way. It's a very inspiring song and it has great commercial appeal but I just wish they would have put more of a message behind it and it could be even greater! :)

I love how people who love the song can talk as much as they want. but when one negative opinion comes in it is a fuckin sin

Yeah man that's exactly it. It couldn't be the fact that you say the band has been ruined, or that it's such a terrible boring song like 5 times in the same thread, or the fact that you were such a jerk that you actually requested you're money back rather than accepting that this just happens to be a song that doesn't happen to fit your liking. And then you used a pretty mean word with me...that wasn't nice. Not cool man, not cool.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons I like Coldplay and the lyrics are utter poo,

I respectfully disagree on the lyrics being bad (euphemism for your quoted poo :). They are very simple, but simple is not always a negative thing. I find them to be very uplifting and in sync with other Coldplay lyrics. I can think of a very few songs where Chris wrote better-than-average lyrics: most of their songs are not strong in their lyrical content. And musically speaking, well it does sound a lot viva-like to me and Johnny´s guitar riff makes it very coldplaysque, but I do not think it is one of their best tracks. That said, I still like it. Out of curiosity, what are the reasons you like Coldplay? :)

I respectfully disagree on the lyrics being bad (euphemism for your quoted poo :). They are very simple, but simple is not always a negative thing. I find them to be very uplifting and in sync with other Coldplay lyrics. I can think of a very few songs where Chris wrote better-than-average lyrics: most of their songs are not strong in their lyrical content. And musically speaking, well it does sound a lot viva-like to me and Johnny´s guitar riff makes it very coldplaysque, but I do not think it is one of their best tracks. That said, I still like it. Out of curiosity, what are the reasons you like Coldplay? :)

I agree with you a little bit. I already said some time ago that simple didn't mean bad. And while I like the songs and how they make the lyrics sound fine, some of these lyrics would qualify as bad.

I really like the song and I think people are afraid to say that they like it,with all the backlash going on here..

lol because a coldplay forum is sooo intimidating. Lots of people just don't like it, what's the big deal about it?

I really like the song and I think people are afraid to say that they like it,with all the backlash going on here..

I don´t know about others, but I am mostly still ambivalent because I just can´t make up my mind about it. I know I lean much more towards liking it than not liking it though, so that´s a good sign :)

Actually people are afraid to say they don't like it, which is why everyone is like "I didn't like it at first but I've listened to it 1240542 times now and it's starting to grow on me"

:dozey:

Actually people are afraid to say they don't like it, which is why everyone is like "I didn't like it at first but I've listened to it 1240542 times now and it's starting to grow on me"

:dozey:

No, I'm one of those people (minus the exaggeration) and i truly do like it. I couldn't stop listening to it today and its been stuck in my head every time I wasn't listening to it...

I agree with you a little bit. I already said some time ago that simple didn't mean bad. And while I like the songs and how they make the lyrics sound fine, some of these lyrics would qualify as bad.

Yes I agree they could be called bad compared to other artists, but within the Coldplay catalogue I would say they are on par with other songs. Anyway I think the "feel" of the songs is often more important than the lyrics, and the songs makes me feel uplifted, so that probably makes me like the lyrics more :)

Yes I agree they could be called bad compared to other artists, but within the Coldplay catalogue I would say they are on par with other songs. Anyway I think the "feel" of the songs is often more important than the lyrics, and the songs makes me feel uplifted, so that probably makes me like the lyrics more :)

I actually disagree with that.

I'm not saying that Chris Martin is normally the world's best lyricist, but these lyrics are bad compared to everything Coldplay has done so far.

It does not make any sense, there is no "theme" to these lyrics, they just don't add up.

I am of the "it doesn't matter if someone does or does not like it" camp. I think we all (or most of us) acknowledge that Coldplay have DEFINITELY made better songs. But that doesn't mean this one is necessarily total shite in everyone's eyes. I don't think I'll be listening to it much, but hey, if you like it, go ahead and overplay it till you want to blow your brains out. And if you hate it, go ahead and throw it in the garbage.

Also, Aleluvscp, I LOVE your DP.

I actually disagree with that.

I'm not saying that Chris Martin is normally the world's best lyricist, but these lyrics are bad compared to everything Coldplay has done so far.

It does not make any sense, there is no "theme" to these lyrics, they just don't add up.

Lyrical likes or dislikes are obviously subjective, but I definitely understand the theme in the song. It´s actually quite more straight-forward than other tracks (I still don´t get what a strawberry swing is *LOL*).

I completely agree. Most of the lyrics have an upbeat feel, and then they throw in (not to mention name the song) Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. When I first heard that title thrown around months ago, I thought a song called that would have a more melancholy feel to it, maybe with a little "hope" thrown in; kind of like Christmas Lights. The words 'every teardrop is a waterfall' seem so depressing to me, I would ordinarily think it would mean that seeing someone you care about cry even just a little is heartwrenching. I wouldn't associate it with turning music up and kids dancing. Basically what you said... they just don't add up.