✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP5 Is Currently 85 Minutes Long (Interview with Will and Chris after Glastonbury)

Don't Shiver

Not sure if anyone has said this but it's most likely long because they're not gonna be around after their tour circuits for a while, I'm assuming. they're probably going to take a break. They've been talking about it for a while now. It was supposedly after X&Y, then VIVA. Who knows though, can't hold back creativity.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. ALBUMS MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 42 MINUTES, OR 9 TRACKS.

2. PRODUCTION MUST BE AMAZING, RICH, BUT WITH SPACE, NOT OVERLAYERED. LESS TRACKS, MORE QUALITY. GROOVE AND SWING Drums/rhythm are the most crucial thing to concentrate on; diff. between bittersweet and science of silence

3. COMPUTERS ARE INSTRUMENTS, NOT RECORDING AIDS.

4. IMAGERY MUST BE CLASSIC. COLOURFUL AND DIFFERENT. COME BACK IN GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOUR.

5. MAKE SURE VIDEOS AND PICTURES ARE GREAT BEFORE [...] RELEASE DATE. And highly original

6. ALWAYS KEEP MYSTERY. Not many interviews

7. GROOVE AND SWING. RHYTHMS AND SOUNDS MUST AL[WAYS...] ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE. Once jon has melody, twist it and wei[...]

8. Promo/review copies to be on VINYL. Stops copying problem and soun[ds...] better.

and so on and so on ^^

number 8 is quite smart, 3 worries me a bit and we'll have to wait whether they stick to rule number 1 or not^^

In Coldplay, as far as I know, nothing gets through if one of the 4 (and maybe Phil?) isn't happy with it. So it's not Eno's rule nor Chris' it's something the whole band agreed on that it was a good idea and Eno might've suggested it but they are all their own people and very capable of knowing what they want so Eno's influence is never something they don't agree on.

And as far as those rules go I think they are methods to make them creative, as limiting your options often sparks more creativity than giving you too much freedom, and to make sure the album isn't to long, but they won't stick to it like they're God's rules, so if they feel strongly that the album is better if it's 5 minutes longer, then that will happen. All they try to do is make the best album ever for them, and chances are that that means the album will be under 50 minutes.

I know they try really hard so I'm not really worried about the next album, I'm quite sure I'll like it.

And I also like ETIAW, and I don't think they thought oh it's just a summer festival thing so lets make crap lyrics. I think they actually really like the song and are proud of it. And so do other people. Coldplay just doesn't sound like the band that would release something they don't LOVE. I mean if you see all the songs they make that they don't release and that are great, it's highly unlikely that they'd do that.

I hope that was just CM's rules and nobody cares about :-p In the end it was just a LeftRightLeftRightLeft rule I hope.. I wouldnt mind them to put a hundred tracks on a record and I wouldnt mind if it is more than an hour long or so.

lol yes!! Especially the part at the end. I don't see why it's bad to have a lot of songs on an album. :| It's probably just because I never get enough of them and some people would disagree, or that the more there are the less the quality peeps think. Which is all good. A new album is what it is regardless if it's long or short I do suppose. I'd really love a long one though! :) I mean like, idk. If they had included Rainy Day, Prospect's March/Poppyfields, and Glass of Water, the last album just would've been even better! And it would've bumped it up from like 45 minutes to 60. Yeah. Good times.

1. ALBUMS MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 42 MINUTES, OR 9 TRACKS.

2. PRODUCTION MUST BE AMAZING, RICH, BUT WITH SPACE, NOT OVERLAYERED. LESS TRACKS, MORE QUALITY. GROOVE AND SWING Drums/rhythm are the most crucial thing to concentrate on; diff. between bittersweet and science of silence

3. COMPUTERS ARE INSTRUMENTS, NOT RECORDING AIDS.

4. IMAGERY MUST BE CLASSIC. COLOURFUL AND DIFFERENT. COME BACK IN GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOUR.

5. MAKE SURE VIDEOS AND PICTURES ARE GREAT BEFORE [...] RELEASE DATE. And highly original

6. ALWAYS KEEP MYSTERY. Not many interviews

7. GROOVE AND SWING. RHYTHMS AND SOUNDS MUST AL[WAYS...] ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE. Once jon has melody, twist it and wei[...]

8. Promo/review copies to be on VINYL. Stops copying problem and soun[ds...] better.

and so on and so on ^^

number 8 is quite smart, 3 worries me a bit and we'll have to wait whether they stick to rule number 1 or not^^

Then this shows us that coldplay usually break their own rules, because of the fact all of coldplay LPs are over 9 songs, and all of the albums are over 42 minutes but parachutes, which is 41, and X&Y was 62 minutes long with 13 songs, so i think that rule can be broken, specially with brian eno, viva la vida special edition was also quite long....

Then this shows us that coldplay usually break their own rules, because of the fact all of coldplay LPs are over 9 songs, and all of the albums are over 42 minutes but parachutes, which is 41, and X&Y was 62 minutes long with 13 songs, so i think that rule can be broken, specially with brian eno, viva la vida special edition was also quite long....

this was written during VLV recordings, which is why first three albums may not be to these rules

^ It does if you exclude the hidden tracks. Plus, it isn't like it was an extra song that pushed Viva over the 42 minute mark--rather, it was the extra number of odd seconds in each song (they aren't perfectly rounded numbers like 4:00 or 3:30)

-------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_la_Vida_or_Death_and_All_His_Friends

Original album = 45 minutes 10 tracks

Special edition = 73 minutes 18 tracks

Again, it does NOT follow the rules

No genius. The special edition includes Prospekt's March. That's a duo pack, not an album. Viva the album had 45 minutes because of extra tracks. Nobody gives a sheesh how long the special edition was.

-------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_la_Vida_or_Death_and_All_His_Friends

Original album = 45 minutes 10 tracks

Special edition = 73 minutes 18 tracks

Again, it does NOT follow the rules

The 'special edition' would be Viva la Vida / Prospekt's March, so it isn't a traditional album (rather, a deluxe album) ;)

As I said, the three hidden tracks are the main reason that Viva was pushed over the 42 minute mark. Altogether, The Escapist, RoL, and CSC average out to 7 minutes; without them, Viva would be 38 minutes, which coincides with the rules that the boys set up.

I'm sure their rules aren't set in stone--they wouldn't cut an entire minute out of a song just because the album length times out at 43 minutes :)

No genius. The special edition includes Prospekt's March. That's a duo pack, not an album. Viva the album had 45 minutes because of extra tracks. Nobody gives a sheesh how long the special edition was.

I don't like you :embarrassed: you probably don't like me neither but i don't really care at all, and im more cleaver than you

I don't like you :embarrassed: you probably don't like me neither but i don't really care at all, and im more cleaver than you

Calm down, guys. No need to get worked up, this is just a friendly discussion :nice: :hug:

The 'special edition' would be Viva la Vida / Prospekt's March, so it isn't a traditional album (rather, a deluxe album) ;)

As I said, the three hidden tracks are the main reason that Viva was pushed over the 42 minute mark. Altogether, The Escapist, RoL, and CSC average out to 7 minutes; without them, Viva would be 38 minutes, which coincides with the rules that the boys set up.

I'm sure their rules aren't set in stone--they wouldn't cut an entire minute out of a song just because the album length times out at 43 minutes :)

thanks for the feedback, didn't know, well , viva was a really complete album, so an 41 minute album would not be bad at all :)

Following a set rubric sounds pretty lame.

What? Not at all.

My Dad is a musician, and he always has a set of guidelines he following when writing and recording. Having an organized set of "things to do" severely balances out your planning.

Spelled clever wrong. And if you're so clever, why did you suggest that the title of LP5 will be "..." You're not exactly the brightest of the bunch.

Spelled clever wrong. And if you're so clever, why did you suggest that the title of LP5 will be "..." You're not exactly the brightest of the bunch.

As i've said before, im not a native english speaker, and at this point, we can all speculate, "kjasdlfksjdlfkjsldfkjsldkf" is as probably as "M xyrobrites" to be the title, why? because we don't know yet, so it can acutally be "..." , why not? give me a reason why not? , forget about it, im probably younger than you, but more intelligent

PD - I don' know/care if i spelled any of the words wrong

As i've said before, im not a native english speaker, and at this point, we can all speculate, "kjasdlfksjdlfkjsldfkjsldkf" is as probably as "M xyrobrites" to be the title, why? because we don't know yet, so it can acutally be "..." , why not? give me a reason why not? , forget about it, im probably younger than you, but more intelligent

PD - I don' know/care if i spelled any of the words wrong

I know you don't, but my correction pissed you off. I'd say I'm clever like that, but unlike you I'm not an arrogant jerk about it.

And why won't the album title be an ellipses? Because 1. That's stupid. Not only is it difficult to pronounce as Chris said, it's impossible. That's not a sound.

And 2. Chris said the title is 2 words, starting with an M (that's probably the billionth time that sentence has been written on this forum) and we see MX all over the place. Just put 2 and 2 together, genius.

I know you don't, but my correction pissed you off. I'd say I'm clever like that, but unlike you I'm not an arrogant jerk about it.

And why won't the album title be an ellipses? Because 1. That's stupid. Not only is it difficult to pronounce as Chris said, it's impossible. That's not a sound.

And 2. Chris said the title is 2 words, starting with an M (that's probably the billionth time that sentence has been written on this forum) and we see MX all over the place. Just put 2 and 2 together, genius.

1. Sigur Rós has an album called "()." That's not a sound, either. For simplicity's sake, fans call it "the bracket album." I'm not trying to argue with you at all; I just thought I'd make a point.

2. Yes, he did, and that's why Coldplayer1317's prediction is wrong.