✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead

Absolutely terrible news. I can't imagine what would have happened if the stage collapsed even a couple of minutes later. Or heaven forbid, during the actual show...

I think the rest of the tour is in jeopardy. At the very least, a few cancelled European dates.

NO.

:bigcry:

Well they definetely don't have only one stage. It would be impossible for them to have concerts day by day with only one stage. Don't you think so?

They have one stage for the USA and another one for Europe I think

New post on DAS:

Scott

We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague. He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny; a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew. We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and love are with Scott's family and all those close to him.

Philip

I'm so sad to hear about the news of the stage collapse. It's interesting because I was talking to my brother and we both found it weird that they would do a tour date the next day, considering that the show ended at 10:45pm. So they had to disassemble it all, pack everything, drive 6 hours, set it all up for a show. Way too rushed IMO. Just a terrible thing that could've been easily prevented!

The Montreal show though was amazing! Myxomatosis was so tight! I went to the show with Briggins and we both got 2nd row on Ed's side. Just a great concert!

I'm so sad to hear about the news of the stage collapse. It's interesting because I was talking to my brother and we both found it weird that they would do a tour date the next day, considering that the show ended at 10:45pm. So they had to disassemble it all, pack everything, drive 6 hours, set it all up for a show. Way too rushed IMO. Just a terrible thing that could've been easily prevented!

They've had to do that a few times so far on this tour; they did that for my (Detroit) show, they had to travel from Chicago to Detroit overnight.

I don't think it is so much a problem of that (although it doesn't help), I think it's the way the stage had to be set up at that particular "venue". Inside arenas like the Palace (or even at the outside "shed" gigs), there is a stable cement floor to erect the stage, as well as rafters above to anchor parts of the setup from above. With the type of stage setup at this park; I don't care how "stable" the ground is, it's nothing like flat cement. Plus there's no sturdy ceiling above to anchor anything to, so there has to be all these back and side piecewise structures built specifically for that. I don't think Radiohead were involved with that, there was a separate base stage-construction firm involved with that; and then Radiohead crew setup their standard lighting/etc. Another thing I'm wondering... even though the weather was "perfect" on that day, what was it like in the days prior? Had there been any soaking rains in the prior days that could have softened the ground a bit?

This is so unfortunate on so many levels.

I was just telling my husband that it was the drum tech who died, and we both remembered seeing him. As I mentioned before, it's so surreal to think we were watching a person that would lose his life only a few days later.

They've had to do that a few times so far on this tour; they did that for my (Detroit) show, they had to travel from Chicago to Detroit overnight.

I don't think it is so much a problem of that (although it doesn't help), I think it's the way the stage had to be set up at that particular "venue". Inside arenas like the Palace (or even at the outside "shed" gigs), there is a stable cement floor to erect the stage, as well as rafters above to anchor parts of the setup from above. With the type of stage setup at this park; I don't care how "stable" the ground is, it's nothing like flat cement. Plus there's no sturdy ceiling above to anchor anything to, so there has to be all these back and side piecewise structures built specifically for that. I don't think Radiohead were involved with that, there was a separate base stage-construction firm involved with that; and then Radiohead crew setup their standard lighting/etc. Another thing I'm wondering... even though the weather was "perfect" on that day, what was it like in the days prior? Had there been any soaking rains in the prior days that could have softened the ground a bit?

This is so unfortunate on so many levels.

I was just telling my husband that it was the drum tech who died, and we both remembered seeing him. As I mentioned before, it's so surreal to think we were watching a person that would lose his life only a few days later.

I don't know what the weather was like to be honest. Another consideration I didn't think of besides limited time, and the ground is also wind conditions. I mean I'm sure all shows have been inside so maybe they weren't prepared for an outdoor show. Or maybe it was windy or something.

New post on DAS:

I don't know what the weather was like to be honest. Another consideration I didn't think of besides limited time, and the ground is also wind conditions. I mean I'm sure all shows have been inside so maybe they weren't prepared for an outdoor show. Or maybe it was windy or something.

Apparently there was very little wind in Toronto last night, so it's not likely that the wind was the cause in this instance.

From unverified sources via a touring crew social networking site:

“According to the latest info that I have, this is what went down.

Optex built the stage, but sold it a few years ago to LiveNation. In Canada, LN (Live Nation) doesn’t use IATSE if they can avoid it – they use a staffing company called Nasco. They have riggers and engineers, as well as other positions.

Radiohead brought in extra lighting, video and effects and wanted to hang it from the roof with the rest of the shit. Nasco’s engineer said no, not happening, that roof isn’t rated for all that extra weight. An ‘argument/discussion’ ensued onstage, with the result that the Nasco engineer was let go, and LN brought in a local engineer who would sign off on the extra load. (There are several witnesses to that onstage argument/discussion).

So, there you have it – the roof WAS overloaded according to the engineer that worked with the company that was hired to erect the stage.”

I really hope this is a fake/troll :uhoh:

According to people on the scene (including police/fire), the weather was essentially "perfect" the day of the concert. So there's no way that the weather on that day could have played a role in the incident. Although as I mentioned earlier, it would be nice to know whether there were any heavy rains during the days prior that could have made the ground softer than normal.

From unverified sources via a touring crew social networking site:

“According to the latest info that I have, this is what went down.

Optex built the stage, but sold it a few years ago to LiveNation. In Canada, LN (Live Nation) doesn’t use IATSE if they can avoid it – they use a staffing company called Nasco. They have riggers and engineers, as well as other positions.

Radiohead brought in extra lighting, video and effects and wanted to hang it from the roof with the rest of the shit. Nasco’s engineer said no, not happening, that roof isn’t rated for all that extra weight. An ‘argument/discussion’ ensued onstage, with the result that the Nasco engineer was let go, and LN brought in a local engineer who would sign off on the extra load. (There are several witnesses to that onstage argument/discussion).

So, there you have it – the roof WAS overloaded according to the engineer that worked with the company that was hired to erect the stage.”

I really hope this is a fake/troll :uhoh:

The possibility of that makes my skin crawl.

I can understand that the band would want to provide the best experience for the fans, which includes their awesome lighting display.

However if they had been warned about the dangers, having been around for as long as they have, it seems to me they would automatically do whatever is safest for everyone involved. So their desire to please the fans would be outweighed by common sense and safety concerns which I would assume they would heed to.

Something just doesn't add up in terms of that. Hopefully the investigation will yield clear insight of the events leading up to the tragedy.

As far as the timing, this happened around 4:00pm. Considering the venue planned to open the gates 30 minutes or an hour earlier than normal, does anybody know if the band had just finished sound check, or was about to go on stage for the sound check? I mean, this could have only been a few minutes difference before or after the incident if that's the case.

EDIT: And also just to get a better understanding of what I saying earlier regarding indoor venues (as well as outside "shed" venues) giving the added stability of anchoring parts of the set to the ceiling, you can see what I'm talking about in the picture below. Everybody was cheering the two guys that were climbing to the top of the upper lighting display, which the front rows actually can't see, and I decided to take a picture. These guys stay up there the entire concert. But also in the picture you can clearly see some of the many wires anchored to the ceiling/rafters which help hold up all that stuff. Ceilings are SO MUCH more sturdy than metal puzzle pieces above (being held up by metal puzzle pieces on the sides). Stages in parks just can't match that stability.

29yhz5w.jpg

Awesome photos Mike! So where exactly were you standing? It looks like a row or two back in front of Ed or something like that?

What kind of camera did you use? Quality looks so much better than mine. :sad: With my pics of Thom all you could see was a monotone blob of beard, but with yours you can see all his salt-and-ginger. LOL I JUST MADE THAT UP NOW

I was lucky enough to go to the show here in MI last week, it was great :D

:surprised: Oh, I was there too! Indeed it was a great show!

Were you on the floor or did you have seats?

My pics/vids/experience are a few pages back.

Also, I recently uploaded this video which I didn't post in here earlier. And some guy sent me a message saying that the reason that Thom laughed at the end was because someone said around 0:19, "that's not what you said last night!" Now that the guy told me that, I can indeed (barely) make it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_C-v78IqYA]Thom Yorke loves Detroit... "but not like that" - Radiohead (Live) - June 11, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]