✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy confirms album out end of October (Triple J interview - transcript & MM links in first post)

joshtimo

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you understand the concept of an "album." It's not about cramming as much as you can on it, it's viewed as a work of art like a painting. If Major Minus fits in thematically, then put it on the album. If it doesn't, then it doesn't go on the album. It's not a compilation, it's an album.

I agree with both points, particularly the 2nd one. Liking the name is one thing, but praying for it to be on the album purely for its name is ridiculous.

What's more annoying than that though is hoping that songs like Major Minus or ETIAW make it to the album. If there's already a recorded version of it then why do you need it on the album as well? I can't understand that at all.

I totally agree with this!

I don't think you understand the concept of an "album." It's not about cramming as much as you can on it, it's viewed as a work of art like a painting. If Major Minus fits in thematically, then put it on the album. If it doesn't, then it doesn't go on the album. It's not a compilation, it's an album.

I know what you mean. Albums should definitely be cohesive works of art. But in theory every song that is recorded during the sessions should have a recurring theme anyway and therefore always have a chance of being on the album. If you're recording as song during the sessions that have no chance of making the album then what's the point?

Anyway, my point is Major Minus should easily be able to be replaced by another song that'll work just as well in the album's context.

Major Minus is on everything though, almost even the title of the album itself. When it comes to making songs that don't stand a chance at making it, say Moving To Mars, well it's more for the band's creative output. They make these songs and work with them, they write this music and they don't really know what they're going to do with it. If they scrap a song, then no love lost, no love found. If they release it on an EP, then good for them I guess. ETIAW was a mix, both of those songs will make proper release as I see it; a preview. Promotion factors in as well, they've been playing these songs at festivals so the fans will want to buy the album featuring all those neat new songs they've heard. Moving To Mars got a performance at the itunes festival, we might not hear it again (or at least until the album sees release). This process is really intricate, they're trying to make their masterpiece, organize the album, pick the songs to promote at these festivals... I'm surprised that they can pull this off in two years.

It's still a preview, bands put out preview EPs sometime. The Flaming Lips had one for Embryonic back in 2009 and all three of those songs saw proper release. Arcade Fire released The Suburbs single last year and backed it with Month Of May, both of those songs ended up on the album. I don't see how releasing songs from the corresponding album's sessions on an EP makes them any less worthwhile. It's the concept and flow of the record that matters, not jamming in as much music as possible.

What's more annoying than that though is hoping that songs like Major Minus or ETIAW make it to the album. If there's already a recorded version of it then why do you need it on the album as well? I can't understand that at all.

I personally think they both willbe on the album, and the reason I would like that, even though we have them both already, is the way they are lyrically. It's hard to put it to words but Viva La Vida and X&Y sort of had themes and they sort of played out like a book with a definite beggining and end, at least for me. Due to the themes of those two songs (paranoia=MM and liberation=ETIAW) I think if they were to be on the album it would make it all connect really well, and be more of a cohesive story rather then random songs, especially if they do include the songs played live.

:inquisitive:

I'm sorry that probally makes no sence but that is why I personally would be happy to have them on the album.

Edit: just read admnistramation's post above me. That's what I meant in so many words.

It's still a preview, bands put out preview EPs sometime. The Flaming Lips had one for Embryonic back in 2009 and all three of those songs saw proper release. Arcade Fire released The Suburbs single last year and backed it with Month Of May, both of those songs ended up on the album. I don't see how releasing songs from the corresponding album's sessions on an EP makes them any less worthwhile. It's the concept and flow of the record that matters, not jamming in as much music as possible.

You really are a voice of reason aren't you? I think people just want lots of new music, and don't give much regard to the album flowing correctly. But for those people, I'm pretty sure we'll get an EP after LP5 is released with more of the material that didn't make the album. After VLV I have no doubt the boys will put out a great and completely coherent album, with or without the songs we've heard so far.

Personally i just hope ETIAW is not on the album, 1) because it will have been bought 3 times by some people. But more importantly 2) I don't think its a very good song, im not saying its a bad song but i definitely don't think it's very Coldplay or album material.

Also Major Minus which is potentially a good song has been ruined (for me) by the effects that have been put on the studio version. So i hope that maybe this is not the album.

But really happy that album is looking certain for an October release.

I personally think they both willbe on the album, and the reason I would like that, even though we have them both already, is the way they are lyrically. It's hard to put it to words but Viva La Vida and X&Y sort of had themes and they sort of played out like a book with a definite beggining and end, at least for me. Due to the themes of those two songs (paranoia=MM and liberation=ETIAW) I think if they were to be on the album it would make it all connect really well, and be more of a cohesive story rather then random songs, especially if they do include the songs played live.

:inquisitive:

I'm sorry that probally makes no sence but that is why I personally would be happy to have them on the album.

Edit: just read admnistramation's post above me. That's what I meant in so many words.

Nah, I get what you're saying. But I'm with JackZ on this. If Major Minus and ETIAW are both on the album then they shouldn't have both been on the EP.

And for the record, I am definitely in favour of having a concise, flowing album rather than a mass of songs that don't really work together. Viva La Vida did that very well and I'd like to see that technique incorporated into the next album. All I'm saying is that I'd rather not see the same songs that we've already heard studio versions of, regardless of how they fit in with the album. I'm sure they could replace both ETIAW and Major Minus with other songs and still create a fantastic flowing album.

Oh, and Major Minus and ETIAW aren't great songs anyway. They're probably the weakest of the new songs we've heard, and they're definitely not was good as most of the stuff from the previous albums.

Oh, and Major Minus and ETIAW aren't great songs anyway. They're probably the weakest of the new songs we've heard, and they're definitely not was good as most of the stuff from the previous albums.

I agree.

I am not speaking to someone directly, but some people are definitely decided to hate Major Minus, what is so insane... :veryangry2:

Most people dislike the song because of the over-produced studio version with all its unnecessary effects that ruin the magic of the song (myself included). I for one love the live version. I'd be happy to see Major Minus on the album if it was remixed to make it a little more stripped down like the live one.

Whether or not the songs we've already heard are put on the album, I guarantee the rest will surface in some form or another via single B-Sides or future EP tracks. Coldplay hasn't disappointed their fans yet (except for maybe the exception of ETIAW), and I don't think they will now.

If Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Us Against The World and Princess of China are so amazing, then just wait to hear the rest of the sixteen possible tracks.

I think this album is extremely fun to think about. The first three albums were referred to as 'The Trilogy'. I wonder how much they're going to evolve with this one. Viva was already a huge step, what will this one be like?

Dude, just because there were effects on Major Minus doesn't necessarily mean there will effects on the rest of the songs.

ETIAW and Moving To Mars didn't have any vocal effects that I can think of. Sure there will probably be effects, but it's seriously justifiable to dislike the Major Minus effects and hope the rest of the songs aren't as over-produced.

I really doubt that any of the other songs will have voice effects...some people say that you can tell that Hurts Like Heaven has effects, but I don't hear it. HLH is a more upbeat song and effects wouldn't make sense there, Major Minus sort of fit with the effects it was given.