✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm bleeding from my face because I don't think this album title is very good.

The Mad Hatter

Oh... sorry I didn't read up on the last posts. I guess that seems accurate.

I guess I'm just a little perplexed as to why people need to know what 'Mylo Xyloto' means. I personally don't care. Even though it doesn't have a meaning, it's random, it sounds cool, it's new and it's quirky. People are always pointing out how mainstream and simple Coldplay is and then they get angry when they don't understand the album cover... well, maybe it's not meant to be understood.

There's this Icelandic band called 'Sigur Ros' (I don't know if you've heard of them, but Chris Martin named them as one of the best bands, and I have to agree with him). They don't even have understandable lyrics (a mix between English and Icelandic), but that's not the point of them. Their music is so lush and atmospheric that the lyrics (whereas they might not make sense) just add a layer of emanation to the music.

The point is: We haven't heard the songs yet from Mylo Xyloto, so how are we supposed to immediately dismiss the name as fluffy and useless? The simple pronouncement of the word may add a different layer of emotional connection to the music itself...

But maybe I'm crazy or retarded. Probably the latter.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^+15367378973993645804

The title doesn't really matter in my opinion if the music is great.

Take Pink Floyd's Ummagumma or Police's Zenyatta Mondatta.

Both titles are made up words but those albums are still masterpieces.

On Facebook, whenever someone posts something about Mylo Xyloto now, Facebook considers it a person and clumps all the posts together on my feed now. "____ and 4 other people have posted about Mylo" :blank:.

On the subject of their other album titles: I hated VLVOD..., and I think X&Y is their best title (and it has to do with opposites, as said before, and they're also pretty common mathematical symbols etc. There wasn't any discussion at the time about what it could mean because most people encounter them as variables often enough). I think AROBTTH is a great album title as well. Parachutes, I feel like I can think of 2-3 albums by other artists called that. While lots of other artists have come out with albums that have made-up titles, I bet at the time people were clamoring to know what they meant too, just probably not all over the internet because it didn't exist. People are just curious, and when you come out with something high-profile with a name no one understands, people are going to want to know what it means.

I guess I'm just a little perplexed as to why people need to know what 'Mylo Xyloto' means. I personally don't care. Even though it doesn't have a meaning, it's random, it sounds cool, it's new and it's quirky. People are always pointing out how mainstream and simple Coldplay is and then they get angry when they don't understand the album cover... well, maybe it's not meant to be understood.

There's this Icelandic band called 'Sigur Ros' (I don't know if you've heard of them, but Chris Martin named them as one of the best bands, and I have to agree with him). They don't even have understandable lyrics (a mix between English and Icelandic), but that's not the point of them. Their music is so lush and atmospheric that the lyrics (whereas they might not make sense) just add a layer of emanation to the music.

Yeah, it's random as hell, and it's different. That doesn't make it good. I don't see what Coldplay's status as a mainstream band has to do with anything, but OK.

The fact that you're even attempting to compare Coldplay to Sigur Rós amuses me greatly. They're worlds apart from each other. Sigur Rós is Icelandic post-rock who sings almost exclusively in Icelandic and Hopelandic (which is in fact not a language at all, but a gibberish sort of thing used as a separate instrument to compliment the other non-vocal instruments). The only song in which Sigur Rós sings any English at all is "All Alright" from their 2008 album. If you listened to Sigur Rós in any great amount, you would know that already. At any rate, they're post-rock, which is completely different from the alternative/Britpop scene that Coldplay resides in.

The point is: We haven't heard the songs yet from Mylo Xyloto, so how are we supposed to immediately dismiss the name as fluffy and useless? The simple pronouncement of the word may add a different layer of emotional connection to the music itself...

^+15367378973993645804

The title doesn't really matter in my opinion if the music is great.

Take Pink Floyd's Ummagumma or Police's Zenyatta Mondatta.

Both titles are made up words but those albums are still masterpieces.

Oh, Christ. I don't see how many times we've explained it in this thread. We are talking about the title as a separate entity. Whether the music is good or not is irrelevant. An album can sound awesome, yet have a stupid album title.

While lots of other artists have come out with albums that have made-up titles, I bet at the time people were clamoring to know what they meant too, just probably not all over the internet because it didn't exist. People are just curious, and when you come out with something high-profile with a name no one understands, people are going to want to know what it means.

:nod:

SIGUR RÓS FTW.

However, their music is so atmospheric and mood-based (especially the album ( ), which is the one that has no lyrics in any real language at all), and they sing in a language only about 300,000 people understand anyway when they sing in any language at all (minus one song in English), so words are really not their main thing to convey. Coldplay, while they might aspire to go in that direction...they've always been the sort of band where lyrics are probably as important as the music to some degree, as emphasized by the popularity of a lot of their songs with people that aren't even huge fans (like The Scientist and Fix You, which I feel like millions know the words to). I don't think Coldplay's "point" is the same, though perhaps that's what they'd like to move towards.

SIGUR RÓS FTW.

However, their music is so atmospheric and mood-based (especially the album ( ), which is the one that has no lyrics in any real language at all), and they sing in a language only about 300,000 people understand anyway when they sing in any language at all (minus one song in English), so words are really not their main thing to convey. Coldplay, while they might aspire to go in that direction...they've always been the sort of band where lyrics are probably as important as the music to some degree, as emphasized by the popularity of a lot of their songs with people that aren't even huge fans (like The Scientist and Fix You, which I feel like millions know the words to). I don't think Coldplay's "point" is the same, though perhaps that's what they'd like to move towards.

Exactly that.

SIGUR RÓS FTW.

Agreed. :nod:

Yeah, it's random as hell, and it's different. That doesn't make it good. I don't see what Coldplay's status as a mainstream band has to do with anything, but OK.

The fact that you're even attempting to compare Coldplay to Sigur Rós amuses me greatly. They're worlds apart from each other. Sigur Rós is Icelandic post-rock who sings almost exclusively in Icelandic and Hopelandic (which is in fact not a language at all, but a gibberish sort of thing used as a separate instrument to compliment the other non-vocal instruments). The only song in which Sigur Rós sings any English at all is "All Alright" from their 2008 album. If you listened to Sigur Rós in any great amount, you would know that already. At any rate, they're post-rock, which is completely different from the alternative/Britpop scene that Coldplay resides in. :nod:

Lord almighty, I think you're completely missing the point. :lol: I'm not really that stupid to realize that they're completely different, I'm not comparing their music at all. I'm simply making the point that the album title doesn't have to make any sense at all and still be completely relevant. I'm quite aware Sigur Ros is completely different.

I'm glad you don't like it, but if the argument is that "it doesn't make sense, and I don't like it because of that" then I want to try to refute that, because we're OBVIOUSLY not meant to understand it so it must be part of the band's writing process.

Ok, let's talk about their album titles.

( ) leaves you open to make up your mind about what you want the music to be.

Mylo Xyloto leaves you wondering what the hell they were on when they thought of it.

Happy?

:heart: well said

here in some portuguese forums, i cant find one single person telling that the title is cool or just ok, they all hate, they all are telling that if the album is as good as the title is.. then they will give up on listen to coldplay :shifty:

Lord almighty, I think you're completely missing the point. :lol: I'm not really that stupid to realize that they're completely different, I'm not comparing their music at all. I'm simply making the point that the album title doesn't have to make any sense at all and still be completely relevant. I'm quite aware Sigur Ros is completely different.

I'm glad you don't like it, but if the argument is that "it doesn't make sense, and I don't like it because of that" then I want to try to refute that, because we're OBVIOUSLY not meant to understand it so it must be part of the band's writing process.

What was the point of talking about Sigur Rós' musical style, then? You were the one who brought them into the conversation, not me. Anyway, their album titles actually do make sense for the most part, because all but one of the albums are named after their songs. The only one that isn't is "()" (otherwise known as "the bracket album"), and you kinda can't name that one after a track on that album because they're all "Untitled #_" (OK, so they have alternate names, but still), and even so, it's better that they named it that because it reflects what the album entails. As Approx mentioned (if I may abbreviate your name like that), there are no lyrics at all, as it's sung entirely in Hopelandic. I think the album title reflects that perfectly.

Given that no one knows the intent behind Coldplay's naming process (especially since we have no official tracks to try to relate to it and even make a remote guess), you have as much of a clue about Coldplay's intent as we do, which is none. Don't try to act like you know more than everyone else when you don't.

Ok, let's talk about their album titles.

( ) leaves you open to make up your mind about what you want the music to be.

Mylo Xyloto leaves you wondering what the hell they were on when they thought of it.

Happy?

I'm not sure if I agree completely with the first bit, but I agree for the most part.

I want to sit in both. A couch is a seat, and my lifelong dream is to get into a kangaroo pouch,

That sounds a bit creepy, honestly. The kangaroo bit, I mean. :anxious:

What was the point of talking about Sigur Rós' musical style, then? You were the one who brought them into the conversation, not me. Anyway, their album titles actually do make sense for the most part, because all but one of the albums are named after their songs. The only one that isn't is "()" (otherwise known as "the bracket album"), and you kinda can't name that one after a track on that album because they're all "Untitled #_" (OK, so they have alternate names, but still), and even so, it's better that they named it that because it reflects what the album entails. As Approx mentioned (if I may abbreviate your name like that), there are no lyrics at all, as it's sung entirely in Hopelandic. I think the album title reflects that perfectly.

Given that no one knows the intent behind Coldplay's naming process (especially since we have no official tracks to try to relate to it and even make a remote guess), you have as much of a clue about Coldplay's intent as we do, which is none. Don't try to act like you know more than everyone else when you don't. :anxious:

I'm not commenting on the similarities in their music styles at all, I'm saying you don't have to understand the words in songs/albums for it to be applicable to the theme/style you're trying to achieve on a cohesive and well-sequenced album.

And I'm really honestly not trying to say I know more, I'm just saying my point of view and what I think. I'm sorry if you think it's wrong, but please don't attack me and say "you think you know more." because I really don't and I'm not trying to come off like that. I'm trying my best to be genuine and I'm not saying you're wrong and that I'm right.

If this thread is about the album cover being a separate entity, it shouldn't be treated like that until we know for sure it fits the character of the album. NOW I'M NOT SAYING I KNOW THE CHARACTER OF THE ALBUM!!!! I'm just saying we don't know yet, and therefore the album shouldn't be judge because it might ruin our experience listening to the album.

Yeah, but Sigur Rós is completely different, considering they speak a completely differnet language from most of the world. Coldplay are from an English-speaking country and used an album title that has no meaning in any language, as far as anyone can tell. We may realize it has some sort of application later, but you can't possibly say that now without knowing a track listing or anything.

Tell me where I said I know more than you. Tell me where. See, that's when people really start to rub me the wrong way, is when they try to twist my words into something completely different from the original context. Anyway, you were the one who said who used the term "OBVIOUSLY not" in your previous post, so you were the one who implied certainty in your opinion, so that's why I responded the way I did.

"...because it might ruin our experience listening to the album." Seriously? If you're going to let an opinion-based thread on the title affect your opinion of how an album sounds, you have issues. Any person in their right mind wouldn't let that bother them.

Let me dissect our posts just so you know what I'm understanding because you obviously are misunderstanding me.

You said "Given that no one knows the intent behind Coldplay's naming process (especially since we have no official tracks to try to relate to it and even make a remote guess), you have as much of a clue about Coldplay's intent as we do, which is none. Don't try to act like you know more than everyone else when you don't." When you said, "Don't try to act like you know more than everyone else when you don't." I responded in my next post by saying, "but please don't attack me and say "you think you know more."<--- this part seemed to confuse you. I'm NOT --I repeat NOT--saying you (violetsparks) know more than I do, I'm saying you think I know more than you, which is why I said "because I really don't and I'm not trying to come off like that. I'm trying my best to be genuine and I'm NOT saying you're wrong and that I'm right."

You are obviously never going to be able to understand what I'm trying to get across when you think I'm attacking you every post, so I don't know what to do at this point. I'm not twisting what you say and I never have. Jesus Christ.

well ya I'm hoping a brief hello would help calm things down a little

not that this is anything like when ETIAW was released, but it's nice if it doesn't get anywhere near that

and just to reiterate since it seems as though it needs to be posted on every page... this discussion should be about the title; we're not judging the music here

title only

only about the title

rate the title not the music

title

title

title

title