✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm bleeding from my face because I don't think this album title is very good.

The Mad Hatter

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm sitting here thinking about it, I want people to understand that things I or other people may have said aren't meant to degrade Coldplay, and we're not saying these things because we hate them. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I know I personally care a lot about this band. They're the reason I came here and met so many of my wonderful online friends. I can never repay them for that. We just don't want to see them go in a direction that some of us (including myself, to an extent) don't think they should take. No, we can't really change what they do, because they're going to do what they want, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't express our opinions about it. Maybe they do read what's on here every once in a while. If they know that some of us are displeased with what they're doing, maybe they'll rethink what to do in the future so we can all get the best music possible. The best is what we want and expect of Coldplay. I don't see why that should become a problem.

I know I'm late and the debate is over, but this is great :clap:.

In my opinion, they've just become a completely different band than the one I first fell in love with. While I love both, I love them both for very different reasons, and I prefer the older manifestation. I understand they will never and should never come out with another Parachutes or AROBTTH and that bands grow and change, I preferred everything about the first half of their career--especially their business and promo decisions, which seemed much more music-oriented than "let's get bigger and make more money"-oriented (which I think is mostly fueled by people that aren't in the band itself, but still).

Are there people from their camp that check this board and maybe report the occasional highlights/lowlights back to them? Definitely, we know that to be true. Does that mean we should only say nice things? That's insane. Fairly-minded debate and criticism is what places like this should be for, no matter who's watching. And if anyone for a second thinks positivity or negativity about TITLES or ALBUM ART from a fanboard is really going to completely change their tact in any direction...I think you should refer back to what Chris said recently about simply wanting to create something that people can ENJOY. They have their own ideas about how to best go about that these days and I have mine, but as long as they still create music I enjoy in some form and continue to be the people I believe them to be, I'm still going to consider myself a big fan of theirs even if I have my gripes about how they do what they do.

you'll go backwards

but theeeen

you'll go forwaaaaaaaaaaards again

:|

that song is in my head :|

anyway, i'mma gonna make it clear:

i don't hate coldplay. they made me love music. i came during the x&y era and discovered that arobtth was my favorite coldplay album (it still is). i used to believe that they could do no wrong. i used to love every single song and every single lyric. guy berryman was the light of my life. :wacko: but i didn't like vlvodaahf very much (hated the title even more :P), but by the time it came out, i was more into gogol bordello and beirut and countless other bands that i never would have even heard of if it hadn't been for coldplay getting me into music. i just don't like the band they are becoming. i don't like the heavy chris martin influence. it doesn't feel like a collective effort anymore, and that's what i have a problem with. i totally respect the hard work they put into recording and touring, and they are a big band that still has heart, which is kind of unique. but i don't feel like this is coldplay now...but that's the old person/old fan "change is bad" ideology in me coming out.

i guess the point is that old fans have matured more and are more willing to criticize, not just because of the "old fan" mentality, but because they have really just generally matured more in relation to the band. not that new fans are immature--but it's sort of a honeymoon phase. x) some of us have branched out more musically, or just realize that we really don't like everything they do. the band changes just like us over time. we all (well, most of us) really do love coldplay, but we have different places in our hearts for them (lulz). old fans can see past their love of the band to critique, and sure, that's not always a good thing.

idk what i'm even saying anymore lol :|

all of that should be in a totally different thread, but

yeah, mylo xylato is kind of the culmination of all my fears thrown into a single phrase.

I'm sad enough of how people do not understand what I meant on my posts, but anyway...

August 15, 2011 - submitted by Bella, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle,

What does Mylo Xyloto mean?

x

The Oracle replies:

This could win the prize for the most asked question in the shortest space of time! All I will say is that if the band are asked it as many times as I have been asked, an answer will appear soon enough! I'd rather not be the revealer on this occasion.

I will dispel a couple of suggestions I received though. It's not been randomly made up with no meaning at all nor is it a foreign language.

Everyone has been so patient so far with all the teasing that has been going on during the past 3 months so I'm sure we can hang on a little longer...

That's not necessary, Christina. I've already straightened things out. There's no need to go on and cause any more trouble.

Violet, I was actually going to do that to straighten a few things out for me.

Decided against it because I'm lazy and tired.

But I will try to say what I've been meaning to say in a nice long paragraph.

I'm not a Coldplay hater. I never was and I never will be. I owe them too much, and I do enjoy their music. . . or at least I did. I just really don't want to be a fan of a band whose music I don't enjoy anymore. A year ago I had complete faith that Coldplay would write an album that could compare to their earlier works (Parachutes and AROBTTH, not really X&Y lol), especially after hearing Spanish Rain, a simple, acoustic piece that I had hoped proved that they were going to do a more acoustic album.

And then ETIAW was released, and I couldn't even believe it. I mean, compare that to Spies! Or even the overplayed Yellow! It was an unbelievable downgrade of musical quality, and ETIAW made me facepalm.

But even then, I still consider myself a fan. I mean, how could I not when being a fan of Coldplay introduced me to this forum, the people on this forum, countless new bands (Muse :dazzled:), a whole new musical world. And what Coldplay hater would sit in her room, crying, after finding out that her first Coldplay show was canceled?

So to everyone who keeps saying that people that don't post much in the Coldplay section (until now), aka the loungers and WoMers, please take a minute and think that maybe, just maybe, we're worried about the direction the band is taking and we don't want them ruining their reputation as a good band.

And criticism =/= hate. If anyone puts themselves in the public light, then they have to be willing to accept criticism.

Well, don't worry, everybody has a different mode of thinking. I just love everything they do and it's not because I have no brain or I can't have sense of criticism. I just love them unconditionally :lol:.

It's just you don't have to worry anymore now Debs said Mylo Xyloto isn't a random or foreign word. It has a meaning. We don't need to reclaim anymore. Let's just wait...

Going back to the thread title:

August 16, 2011 - submitted by Matthew, United Kingdom

Q. I know you can't talk about it, but this concerns Hurts Like Heaven. With the album being announced and the billboard story, there's a massive thing going around that HLH won't make it to the album. Why?! It seems to be THE song for the album, and ties in with everything that has been promoted so far (running man, graffiti, opening song to the concerts!, etc). It's my (and a lot of others) favorite song so far, and I guess that all I want is for Coldplay to know what a great song they have here, and that it deserves to be on Mylo Xyloto. I know you know nothing of final track listing, and you can't say anything to us; but is there the chance that you can let the boys know that this song deserves everything it can get for the album? Thanks from a lot of fans.

The Oracle replies:

I have to say I think it's great that you - and others - are worried that it won't be on the album because you've heard it and love it but trust me, whether it does or doesn't won't matter when the album comes out.

You're right I can't say but I will tell you a story. Just before X&Y was finished I heard that Talk was going to be left off. I felt I had to step in so texted Chris. The next thing I knew, it was being mixed and included on the album.

Hand on heart I don't know the tracklisting right now but if I did and Hurts Like Heaven wasn't on, I wouldn't text about it. I absolutely LOVE the song but I have faith that this is the album the band wanted to make and want to release so that's good enough for me.

I wouldnt worry, it seems in safe hands!

I know I'm late and the debate is over, but this is great :clap:.

In my opinion, they've just become a completely different band than the one I first fell in love with. While I love both, I love them both for very different reasons, and I prefer the older manifestation. I understand they will never and should never come out with another Parachutes or AROBTTH and that bands grow and change, I preferred everything about the first half of their career--especially their business and promo decisions, which seemed much more music-oriented than "let's get bigger and make more money"-oriented (which I think is mostly fueled by people that aren't in the band itself, but still).

Are there people from their camp that check this board and maybe report the occasional highlights/lowlights back to them? Definitely, we know that to be true. Does that mean we should only say nice things? That's insane. Fairly-minded debate and criticism is what places like this should be for, no matter who's watching. And if anyone for a second thinks positivity or negativity about TITLES or ALBUM ART from a fanboard is really going to completely change their tact in any direction...I think you should refer back to what Chris said recently about simply wanting to create something that people can ENJOY. They have their own ideas about how to best go about that these days and I have mine, but as long as they still create music I enjoy in some form and continue to be the people I believe them to be, I'm still going to consider myself a big fan of theirs even if I have my gripes about how they do what they do.

You're one of the best posters on here. You speak a lot of sense.

I don't know if what I have to say has any relevance to any people who feel the same way, but I'll say it anyway. Maybe the reason that people hate the direction that Coldplay are going is not because of what they're specifically doing to change, but just the fact that they're changing. People hate change because after the end of every era it feels like not only the era is ending, but also the memories and emotions associated with them. Maybe AROBTTH and Viva would be equally as good as each other to you if you were hearing them for the first time side by side, but you all heard the first three albums and grew emotionally attached to them and associated memories with specific songs and now you feel like that's gone.

When I started liking Coldplay I didn't listen to any specific album, I listened to the songs in a very random order just listening as I found them, so to me every era is just as meaningful, and I don't feel the same way you guys do about the "change" because, to me, it's always been this way. Maybe in a few years I'll look back on the Viva days and say "Why can't the boys be like that anymore...?"

you'll go backwards

but theeeen

you'll go forwaaaaaaaaaaards again

:|

that song is in my head :|

anyway, i'mma gonna make it clear:

i don't hate coldplay. they made me love music. i came during the x&y era and discovered that arobtth was my favorite coldplay album (it still is). i used to believe that they could do no wrong. i used to love every single song and every single lyric. guy berryman was the light of my life. :wacko: but i didn't like vlvodaahf very much (hated the title even more :P), but by the time it came out, i was more into gogol bordello and beirut and countless other bands that i never would have even heard of if it hadn't been for coldplay getting me into music. i just don't like the band they are becoming. i don't like the heavy chris martin influence. it doesn't feel like a collective effort anymore, and that's what i have a problem with. i totally respect the hard work they put into recording and touring, and they are a big band that still has heart, which is kind of unique. but i don't feel like this is coldplay now...but that's the old person/old fan "change is bad" ideology in me coming out.

i guess the point is that old fans have matured more and are more willing to criticize, not just because of the "old fan" mentality, but because they have really just generally matured more in relation to the band. not that new fans are immature--but it's sort of a honeymoon phase. x) some of us have branched out more musically, or just realize that we really don't like everything they do. the band changes just like us over time. we all (well, most of us) really do love coldplay, but we have different places in our hearts for them (lulz). old fans can see past their love of the band to critique, and sure, that's not always a good thing.

idk what i'm even saying anymore lol :|

all of that should be in a totally different thread, but

yeah, mylo xylato is kind of the culmination of all my fears thrown into a single phrase.

I feel the

EXACT

SAME

WAY

But I came around VLVODAAOHF.

You guys are all great omg.

I was like maybe 10 or 11 when I heard that iTunes Ad, as cheesy and dumb as it sounds Coldplay has been a big chunk of my life as it has to many people here. And some of us just.. sort of grew out of it and don't see them as a band that makes music that you dig, but this BAANDD that you just know everything about and every song and their personalities and you've learned every side of them. You can't see them the same as you would with another artist you may like, in which you would only listen to their music.

But, (atleast for me) I'm still craving for the same feeling I had of something being so amazing like Coldplay when I was 12, it made me excited and really happy for a while.

And I'm not feeling the lightning strike, the vibe in their new music. But as I said before, I should listen to it as i would do with any new album of an artist I also like. But maybe the only reason that I kept waiting for LP5 was for nostalgic reasons, and not for the music at all :(

Exactly, but I don't think it's possible to feel that nostalgia anymore. We've reached a point where we hate to see what once made us nostalgic a thing of the past and inadvertantly reject what comes because its not the same. Better or worse, it's not the same.

When Viva La Vida came out, I didn't like it but now it's probably my favorite. I thought the same exact things most of you guys are thinking now, "They're changing too much! They're not the same!" but after a year I got over it because Viva La Vida is awesome and always will be! The songs were new, they were creative, they had substance, and deserved so much more than "They've changed, I don't like them!". I've been a Coldplay fan for a long time and even though I didn't like VLV at first, they STILL were/are pretty much all I listen to. :D

For most of you this album gives you that feeling of apprehension because you're scared (ETIAW)... but really?!?! HLH? CB? PoC? UATW? MM? Do they really suck that bad to you? You haven't even heard the rest on the album! Seriously, I know it's hard when you don't want to, but you just have to open up. Nostalgia gets better with time, maybe if you open up this album will be apart of those special memories. :)

Now I'm not comparing musical style in any way (EDIT: don't want to go down that road again, I just realized what thread this is), I'm just using this example: I've talked to people from the eighties who stopped listening to U2 when they released The Unforgettable Fire because they 'changed' too much. Boy, what an awesome show they missed...

Now we're all entitled to our own opinions, and if the music legitimately sucks and is disliked by everyone (including me), then I'll personally eat my words and say Coldplay sucks now. But, even with the release of ETIAW and the studio version of MM (which really don't suck that bad), that won't happen quite yet... because they still released MTM, which indicates they still got it. ;) So I guess what I'm trying to say is: lighten up! Don't change your expectations till you've heard the whole thing in full glory! :D

(BTW, maybe we've gone a biiiiit off topic...lol)

Album titles indicate nothing. Really? Let's see. Viva la Vida or Death and All his Friends. In Rainbows. Kid A. Showbiz. Achtung Baby. The Man Who. The Invisible Band. The Boy with No Name. Ode to J. Smith. No Line on the Horizon. Waking up. Hot Fuss. By the Way. A Night at the Opera. A Day at the Races. The Game. Pump. Get a Grip. 1984. Shake it up. All of the Police's album's titles. And many more. Doesn't say anything about the actual music. These are all great albums if you haven't heard them. With not the best album titles. If anyone buys music based on what the album is called, well. That's there loss for being musically-superficial. :phu:

I am going to say a thing, and now I am talking as a fan. Have you ever imagined how would the members of Coldplay feel if they ever read somethings are discussed here on this forum?

I have in my life even listened to things such "see that girl, Amy Winehouse, so rich, so famous, and suicide". But people don't even know that poor girl had a website on where people should guess the date of her death. People don't even know that each magazine was waiting for a shit of hers to publish and sell more and more and more.

Do you know what? If I was Chris and read people saying they don't like my album name when they don't even know what it means, I would stop now. Is that what you want in the end? That they stop? Ask it yourself.

Some people say: "It's not that just because I am a fan that I have to accept everything they do". Then please, please, just wait and listen what they have to say. You really really think they don't mean anything with this title? You really do?

Some people will say: "I don't think they would ever stop because of the things we say". But I think.

Your lack of faith is disturbing

Funny thing how people say they admire Coldplay cause ~*~they don't care what anyone thinks~*~ and then say things about ~*~what if they read this stuff omg~*~

Tehehe. Indeed.