✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm bleeding from my face because I don't think this album title is very good.

The Mad Hatter

^ I read that too! I just loved how he described that! And Dear ApproximatelyInfinite, my opinion doesn't really matter, but I just love reading your posts :lol:. I would like to say this though: I think even though Viva sounded more produced than the rest of the albums, Chris's songwriting really improved and evolved. Songs like 42, Cemeteries Of London, and Yes (although sometimes drowned-out with too many synthesizers and other instruments) were very different and unorthodox from previous Coldplayesque music. If Coldplay took Chris's writing now and simplified the production, it'd be their best work yet (In my opinion)! Personally, I wish they wrote more songs like Violet Hill and Death And All His Friends. :)

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Musically I feel like I have a very open mind, despite occasionally expressing my trepidation on places like Twitter :D. Actually, I don't feel like I have a closed mind about anything in general. I just notice a lot of the same comments coming from members of this board that I got to know when I first joined, so I'm interested in the reasons why, because I feel a lot of the same feelings in my heart of hearts, despite also liking the stuff that we've heard so far.

I also kind of wonder if it's just because I'm older now or what that makes me not as pants-wetting excited as I was for the Viva release, but then I remember how I acted for certain other record releases this year and realise age has nothing to do with it :P

I think Chris' songwriting has been pretty good consistently. The only time I've ever been dissappointed in his lyrics was with Every Teardrop. I just want that one song that's amazing lyrically on this album. On AROBTTH I think that was Amsterdam, on Viva it was Viva.

And I'm not quite as excited as I'd thought I'd be because we've already heard a huge portion of the album.

Lyrically, in terms of overall songs vs. one-off lines etc (of which there have been many that I love in all eras), I feel like I haven't been bowled over since AROBTTH. Songwriting, hmm. I'd have to think about how to phrase what I want to say, and 3AM is not the time to do that :lol:. I think some of my excitement has been dampened by hearing some of the songs already in some form, but I wonder how my excitement this time around would have compared if we only had ETIAW and maybe Paradise before the actual album leak/release.

Good morning girls!!! (Hi Chelsea, Hi Pris!! :botoxlips:)

I am not as good in expressing my thoughts as you Chelsea but I agree with a lot of what you say.

I am one of those people who are not excited about the new album.

Didn't think it'd be that way... I was expecting sth different, too.

The last 3 songs we heard (ETIAW, MM & MTM) aren't my cup of tea. :uhoh:

Like Chelsea said - I'd have preferred something more "raw" and emotional / meaningful.

Ok, I just wanted to say hi and that I agree with Pris: Don't feel bad about not being on topic. :hug:

I actually stopped following what is written in the LP5 forum (I refuse to call it the name it has) and this was the first thread I actually looked into for a long time and I was pleasantly surprised to see what is written here on this page hehe

Does this post even make sense?? It's too early... can't sleep anymore. :disappointed:

:escaping3:

Haha yes it makes sense. I'm trying to not judge the album title until I know what it means.

And I agree that MTM and ETIAW aren't anything special, but I do think that MM is quite good as well as Charlie Brown and HLH. Are you guys not impressed by Us Against The World, because I would call that the song that's raw emotion.

I can completely understand that. But Jonny said something in the Billboard article recently that made me really excited. He talked about having those moments on the album when you can hear the guitar strings being plucked and the piano pedal being pressed and that they were making an album half based on an electric feel and half on an acoustic feel which really excites me. It sounds like a mixture of Viva and, well pre-viva. The problem with Viva was that there was no sad songs. Just a mix of happy and angry. I'm hoping that Us Against The World was the song that tells us the most about the allbum even though most of the songs we've heard seem to be more on the electric side.

I do realize he said that, but wasn't he talking about how that was a direction they considered but only bits and pieces will be left of it? I'd love studio sounds if they come up.

Despite what everyone says, even if it doesn't come off this way, the band talked about how eno got them all back into a room playing the songs. Yes, that doesn't rule out production value but it speaks to a closeness they got away from after arobtth.

back to the main topic:

The first time I saw 'Mylo Xyloto' I was like, meh. I hope they don't use it.

When I saw the official announcement I was like, Fuck yeah, mylo xyloto is awesome :D

But since then, the more I look at 'Mylo Xyloto', the more I think, this sounds really stupid. It dosent fit in with any previous titles of coldplay either. It just sounds made up.

We need to get some explanation of its meaning soon, it cant just be made up.

I do realize he said that, but wasn't he talking about how that was a direction they considered but only bits and pieces will be left of it? I'd love studio sounds if they come up.

No, he said that was part of the album, while the other part was a huge electric sound.

Sue: You make perfect sense to me :wink:

mylo xyloto already is starting to sound familiar,

but I still have mixed feelings about the album..

(All the songs so far are really nice, but you don't get

"sucked in" into the song.. *except MTM)

I'm trying to not judge the album title until I know what it means.

And I agree that MTM and ETIAW aren't anything special, but I do think that MM is quite good as well as Charlie Brown and HLH. Are you guys not impressed by Us Against The World, because I would call that the song that's raw emotion.

I tried and failed after a second. :P

Agreed, Charlie Brown is a great song but after hearing the studio version of MM I'm just worried they might have fucked up the studio version of Charlie, too.

Yes I do love UATW! It's a song whose emotions you can relate to.

But since then, the more I look at 'Mylo Xyloto', the more I think, this sounds really stupid. It dosent fit in with any previous titles of coldplay either. It just sounds made up.

We need to get some explanation of its meaning soon, it cant just be made up.

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting some info about the reason for that name.

So far you're right: It does sound stupid and while I'd gladly be convinced of the opposite, at the moment I can't imagine that there will be an explanation that I can accept. :P

(All the songs so far are really nice, but you don't get

"sucked in" into the song.. *except MTM)

Exactly that.

Charlie Brown is great fun live for example... but...

MTM does nothing to me. :shrug:

Haven't listened to it since the day it came out, same goes for MM studio version.

And when I hear ETIAW somewhere I'm not like "*proud* it's Coldplay playing in here" but rather --> :\ :embarrassed:

I've just read back over the last few pages of this thread and agree with most of what has been said. Which kinda bums me out. It's one thing when you think these things to yourself but another when you realise that so many people think the same... :\

p.s. I love MTM too

When I first heard the studio version of Major Minus I was like "what the fuuuu..." and although I do agree that they shouldn't have changed it the way they did I barely notice the voice filter anymore...but the guitar part is still weird...

Do you guys think the Mylo Xyloto era will be better or worse than the Viva era? Because as far as I can tell it seems better. It appears to actually have intimate moments and I'm loving Charlie Brown and Hurts Like HEaven

Here I am to haunt the thread with oftopicness again! :cheesy:

I detest the album title with a passion :wacky:

And Chelsea, I'll forgive all your off-topic..ness just 'cause I like how you're invading the thread with Albert's face :awesome:

Isn't he beautiful? :bigcry:

Pris, Anna, Mich (:heart: to all of you)--you guys are some of my old Coldplaying friends I meant earlier that seem to express the same feelings I feel about all that's going on. It kind of freaks me out that we all seem to feel the same way about it, but at the same time, at least it makes me feel like I'm not crazy and imagining all this stuff.

As for my opinions of the songs--MTM I think might be my least favorite of all the new material, or at least it was up until a few days ago, when it started to grow on me. ETIAW, warts and all, is one of them that I enjoy the most (along with Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven). MM (studio) needs to lose the vocal filter ASAP, but is otherwise pretty great. I feel like as someone that was asking for "back to basics" and simplicity, UATW should be one of my absolute favorites, but I think it's second to last for me. I just feel like they've done it before--Til Kingdom Come and Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground are almost overly similar to me.

I totally see the Til Kingdom Come-ness of it but I think it's better and the "if we could float away..." part is just incredible. Actually, I think the entire song is pretty great lyrically. And I'm listening to it now trying to see the similarities with Til Kingdom Come and I can't really hear it but I know I noticed it before...

IMO it's third after Charlie Brown and HLH.

The "lion's den" bit is intriguing to me. Quite poetic, and I give props to a song that references the Bible and doesn't sound offensive, preachy, cheesy, or like a cry for attention.

They did the same thing with Viva la Vida. Props to Coldplay. Chris is a great lyricist, I don't care what other people say.

Here I am to haunt the thread with oftopicness again! :cheesy:

Isn't he beautiful? :bigcry:

Pris, Anna, Mich (:heart: to all of you)--you guys are some of my old Coldplaying friends I meant earlier that seem to express the same feelings I feel about all that's going on. It kind of freaks me out that we all seem to feel the same way about it, but at the same time, at least it makes me feel like I'm not crazy and imagining all this stuff.

As for my opinions of the songs--MTM I think might be my least favorite of all the new material, or at least it was up until a few days ago, when it started to grow on me. ETIAW, warts and all, is one of them that I enjoy the most (along with Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven). MM (studio) needs to lose the vocal filter ASAP, but is otherwise pretty great. I feel like as someone that was asking for "back to basics" and simplicity, UATW should be one of my absolute favorites, but I think it's second to last for me. I just feel like they've done it before--Til Kingdom Come and Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground are almost overly similar to me.

We all appreciate Albert's cuteness :dazzled:

I've just read back over the last few pages of this thread and agree with most of what has been said. Which kinda bums me out. It's one thing when you think these things to yourself but another when you realise that so many people think the same... :\

p.s. I love MTM too

we can always call it MX and pretend it means something else :P

• 2 weeks later...

As always I think it's best to wait until all is revealed and then see how the title fits in with the overall album concept. Personally I think it's bold and adventurous to choose such a controversial title as surely they must have been known people would be raising eyebrows and scratch their heads. That said, I love that title and I always thought it heralded great things to come... But time will tell :)