✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MYL OXYL OTO - My take on Coldplay's clever and perhaps subversive new album title

bdevil89

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool responses, i hear you, i could totally be wrong but it's fun to look for why artists do what they do - thanks for the input from the writer above- yeah, i didn't realize that they arranged the two words the way they did until someone wrote it about it, and it got me thinking why did they do that.

I feel like there is a reason, and just fits in the the whole subversive art of communication through graffiti and alternative media/art. I think either Mylo Xyloto is the name of originator of the movement, or the philosophy behind it - radical words/art/songs/ideas being heard by the masses. Much like Total Recall had its underground movement (MTM reference, anyone, anyone... lol).

I just wrote a whole other piece on the speculated tracklist and y i thought some would make it or not, running with this theme/story/concept that Chris mentioned. It's fun for me, and gets me really thinking about their message with this album. I'm really excited for it, and I think this may be their best album yet as a cohesive whole or a concept - I mentioned like OK Computer meets The Wall.

The reason why i say ok computer is bc radiohead dealt with coming new age of technology/electronics that presciently recognized would come to consume our lives - iphone, ipad, facebook, twitter, etc.) and how impersonal it would make us become, and frankly they were right to a degree. Same thing with this album and it's fight to get out real truths or messages that are not told to us by the powers that be (much like the street artist Mylo was doing in london, who i still think is one of the big inspirations for the album to begin with, check out his artwork/graffiti).

Anyway, keep the discussion going.

I see your point with OK Computer, I thought you were referencing it simply for milestone achievement purposes. I'd love to see Coldplay attempt a "Fitter, Happier" type of song lol. I love their use of classic literature as well. Chris comparing Major Minus as an Orwellian-type of dystopia made me entirely re-think my view of the song...not to mention he drew influence from Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which is the best novel to come out of the western world in the last 20 years.

Cool responses, i hear you, i could totally be wrong but it's fun to look for why artists do what they do - thanks for the input from the writer above- yeah, i didn't realize that they arranged the two words the way they did until someone wrote it about it, and it got me thinking why did they do that.

I feel like there is a reason, and just fits in the the whole subversive art of communication through graffiti and alternative media/art. I think either Mylo Xyloto is the name of originator of the movement, or the philosophy behind it - radical words/art/songs/ideas being heard by the masses. Much like Total Recall had its underground movement (MTM reference, anyone, anyone... lol).

I just wrote a whole other piece on the speculated tracklist and y i thought some would make it or not, running with this theme/story/concept that Chris mentioned. It's fun for me, and gets me really thinking about their message with this album. I'm really excited for it, and I think this may be their best album yet as a cohesive whole or a concept - I mentioned like OK Computer meets The Wall.

The reason why i say ok computer is bc radiohead dealt with coming new age of technology/electronics that presciently recognized would come to consume our lives - iphone, ipad, facebook, twitter, etc.) and how impersonal it would make us become, and frankly they were right to a degree. Same thing with this album and it's fight to get out real truths or messages that are not told to us by the powers that be (much like the street artist Mylo was doing in london, who i still think is one of the big inspirations for the album to begin with, check out his artwork/graffiti).

Anyway, keep the discussion going.

I see your point with OK Computer, I thought you were referencing it simply for milestone achievement purposes. I'd love to see Coldplay attempt a "Fitter, Happier" type of song lol. I love their use of classic literature as well. Chris comparing Major Minus as an Orwellian-type of dystopia made me entirely re-think my view of the song...not to mention he drew influence from Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which is the best novel to come out of the western world in the last 20 years.

@bdevil89, you did explain step by step the etemology of the words, like a conducting wire. Like one and one sums two. It was all logic about the explanation you gave. Thing is, I have no idea if they were so brilliant to think in all the tiny details you mentioned.

I actually think Viva was their OK Computer, the album that changed everything...the course the band would take, conquer, and run with. Mylo will be the Kid A or In Rainbows of their discography.

Parachutes: The Bends

A Rush Of Blood To The Head: Pablo Honey

Pablo Honey: :toilet:

A Rush Of Blood To The Head: :dazzled:

X&Y: Kid A

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends: OK Computer

Mylo Xyloto: Hail To The Thief or In Rainbows

I bet we played right into their hands:

Chris: I don't know what to name the album, how about "Mylo Xyloto"?

Jonny: What's it mean?

Chris: Psh, like I know. The Coldplayers will figure something out and we'll just go along with it...

I bet we played right into their hands:

Chris: I don't know what to name the album, how about "Mylo Xyloto"?

Jonny: What's it mean?

Chris: Psh, like I know. The Coldplayers will figure something out and we'll just go along with it...

:laugh3:

My Lord (George Harrison)

Xylophone tones!

It could be anything, or everything, and therefore it's absolutely perfect. That, or they just put a bunch of scrabble pieces in a bag and pulled them out one at a time, until they had what looked like words. :P