✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MYL OXYL OTO - My take on Coldplay's clever and perhaps subversive new album title

bdevil89

The Oracle replies:

This could win the prize for the most asked question in the shortest space of time! All I will say is that if the band are asked it as many times as I have been asked, an answer will appear soon enough! I'd rather not be the revealer on this occasion.

I will dispel a couple of suggestions I received though. It's not been randomly made up with no meaning at all nor is it a foreign language.

Everyone has been so patient so far with all the teasing that has been going on during the past 3 months so I'm sure we can hang on a little longer...

Guess it will be a name

:mad::mad:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a guess....

Just my two cents...

could it be something as simple as:

Mylo - scottish electronica artist/producer, suggesting the influence/use of electronic beats/tunes

Xylo - suggesting the acoustic side of things (also present on the album)

-to - also? (I realize it is missing the second 'o' to mean "also") ultimately meaning Electronic and Acoustic Too...

Most likely a fool's search on google came of this but it makes since as well...the guys did in fact say that there was a massive clusterf*ck of acoustic songs and non-acoustic forces pulling at each other on this album.

Xander - that might be it - they are combining two different genres on this album perhaps and could be a reference to that - I can't wait to see what they explain it as - but acoustic meets electronica is not a bad guess. Nice - keep it going, it's fun to read all the different thoughts out there.

yep

Xander - that might be it - they are combining two different genres on this album perhaps and could be a reference to that - I can't wait to see what they explain it as - but acoustic meets electronica is not a bad guess. Nice - keep it going, it's fun to read all the different thoughts out there.

It would be unlike them for it to be as simple as this, though. We will see soon enough though! The peppers have an album coming out in a couple weeks to hold me over anyway!

Just my two cents...

could it be something as simple as:

Mylo - scottish electronica artist/producer, suggesting the influence/use of electronic beats/tunes

Xylo - suggesting the acoustic side of things (also present on the album)

-to - also? (I realize it is missing the second 'o' to mean "also") ultimately meaning Electronic and Acoustic Too...

Most likely a fool's search on google came of this but it makes since as well...the guys did in fact say that there was a massive clusterf*ck of acoustic songs and non-acoustic forces pulling at each other on this album.

nice idea ;)

Although if this was the real one I would be disappointed. I am expecting something really big and meaningful. I'm really puzzled because Oracle said it wasnt a foreign language!:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:thinking:

Thanks Alice - it really was the community though bc as I was reading people's other theories or discovering that there was this UK street artist Mylo who may have inspired them to look at the history of graffiti, alternative media and how it conveyed subversive, or not mainstream toe the line kind of messages to the public. My theory could be way off base, but it's fun trying to figure it out regardless.

I am fascinated with words and their origins a lot - was an excellent speller because i noticed in English that there were patterns to having certain letters together and usually came from a certain language in this case, Latin, Greek, German, French, etc. - So seeing this title and then realizing that they arranged it in a different way on the cover than the standard MYLO then XYLOTO really got me thinking and hence the monster known as my take on it was born.

I'm glad Debs cleared up that there is meaning behind title, bc that would have been disappointing but I knew that couldn't be. As for the not being a foreign language part, perhaps then it is the name of the protagonist in the story. I say that, bc again, that street artist Mylo somehow has to tie into this whole concept, and in a way it will bring attention to his work to global masses

(check out the site - http://xylo.me/ The top letters of the site is XYLO in his font - similar to the font that coldplay has been using. The connection is too coincidental.

Regardless - I love seeing other people's ideas about it, keep them coming, and each day brings closer to the tracklisting and Coldplay's explanation about the title. Best,

btw, here's an explanation to xylo's work by xylo himself - and it totally fits into Coldplay's theme and new album -

"I think [street Art] offers a very necessary arena of expression free from the constraints of commerce, and has an important role to play in providing a physical manifestation of dissent. This in turn then makes people feel slightly more liberated by it’s presence, perhaps looking on it as something essential to the human spirit which defies an increasingly sinister type of sanitization and control of public space." - Xylo

Radical/dissenting ideas conveyed to the public/masses.

"On a more personal level, I’ve found that making it can help lessen feelings of alienation and powerlessness that arise due to various negative aspects of society. Hopefully through the use of street art to highlight some of these issues people will become more aware of the need for change and thus form a critical mass of consciousness to overcome inertia."

I just read another comment on another thread regarding the song MTM, Alien Nation, U.F.O, A Hopeful Transmission and how they all may be connected in perhaps an earlier concoction or concept of the album. Someone wrote alien nation as alienation perhaps as a play on words or accidentally which got me thinking. They were going for a theme of feeling like you're from another world. For xylo, perhaps he was feeling alienated in a world of consumerism and one that was becoming increasingly less private for individuals. Anyway, another theory to throw out there.

Keep it going...

That site is awesome btw, check out the other street artists - clearly this group was the inspiration for Coldplay - they saw all of this artwork as they're walking around London and boom - idea for the new album and concept.

Check out this quote by Roa, another street artist -

"Graffiti is one of the most free art expressions of the world; you don’t do it for money nor for an institution, it’s free expression and it liberates yourself creatively from a lot of restrictions"

This album will be freeing for Coldplay - some suggested like Kid A or OK computer was for Radiohead, MYLO XYLOTO may be a continuation of that evolution of their sound from the constraints of what they started out with back in 1998. But, I think Viva was definitely the beginning for them though on that path of liberation. More to ponder.

AliCe (another street artist, wow that site is amazing, check it out) - I like her quote how art is an exchange of ideas, interpretation between the viewer and artist. Thus everyone can take away what it is they want to from their impressions of the art perhaps like my convoluted theory of what MYLO XYLOTO may mean, lol. Perhaps that's why Coldplay placed the title on the "canvas of pavement (or wall)" in this case, it freed them to place such a unique name/title on a wall rather that a metaphorical traditional gallery perhaps.

"I think the artist primarily tries to express herself and doesn’t necessarily know what she wants to communicate. The meaning and the value comes from the exchange between the artist and the viewer. This exchange happens on the street in a more unexpected, surprising and freer way than in a gallery." - AliCe

James Cochran - Of his motivations to pursue a career in art he says: “After I worked for a year in 9-5 job I found that my soul was dying”. Instead he found his spraycan soul.

Written in graffiti on a bridge in a park

'Do you ever get the feeling that you're missing the mark?'

It's so cold, it's so cold

Written up in marker on a factory sign

'I struggle with the feeling that my life isn't mine'

On every street, every car, every surface are names

And at the streets arise, i'll be rather insane

Don't let them take control

No we won't let take control

So on concrete canvas under cover of dark

Concrete canvas, I'll go making my mark

Armed with a spray can soul

I'll be armed with a spray can soul

Hurts like heaven is such a great song, and needs to be on there, and will be.

• 1 month later...

Coldplay have said that their new album 'Mylo Xyloto' is a concept album about two characters 'Mylo' and 'Xyloto' who meet and fall in love.

The band release the album, which is their fifth studio LP, a week on Monday (October 24) and have also revealed that it is strongly influenced by dance and urban music.

Speaking to The Sun, drummer Will Champion revealed that the album follows the story of two characters and the struggle they go through to find love.

He said of the concept and characters: "They fall in love and try to escape together, the songs following what happens. 'Charlie Brown' is about running away while 'Paradise' is about feeling lost. The ending is very powerful and about love conquering all."

Bassist Guy Berryman also said that the band felt "bold" on this album and were unafraid to incorporate new influences and sounds, including a guest spot from Rihanna.

He said: We love Rihanna's music. We love so many different kinds of music that there is really nothing to lose by reflecting that in your record. We've been brave and bold with these songs. There are more modern, urban and dance influences in there. We approached it with a lot of confidence.

Champion also revealed that the album was almost an acoustic release before the band wrote new single 'Paradise', adding: "We'd started an acoustic album but then we wrote 'Paradise' and knew the acoustic thing didn't have legs."

taken from wearehunted.com

I think another possibility for the meaning of the title could be as people are saying is the way Coldplay chose to spell the two words on the cover - Instead of Mylo then Xyloto, it goes

MYL

OXYL

OTO

Now after thinking about it, and reading other theories, and googling a whole bunch - My theory is that it's pretty clever if this is what they are intending, god I love these guys - I'm in medicine and am familar with many latin and greek roots as most of western medicine's terms are from those two languages.

So here's the breakdown -

Myl - usually means molar, or grinding, and is associated with the mandibiles - So both for chewing food and perhaps speaking/singing as well.

For Coldplay perhaps it's a form of communication - speaking, singing - ideas communicated through words and song.

oxyl - as someone has suggested - is from chemistry, and refers to the hydroxyl group of compounds - and usually it is associated with radicals, or free radicals. This chemical compound can cause havoc within a system, e.g. human body, or for Coldplay's system, e.g. a radical in an oppressive world that Chris spoke about in the billboard interview. Interestingly enough, xylo is an anagram to this word - so it still is technically xylo per the anagram word rules.

Now xylo means wood, and usually is associated with xylophone - wood sound. Perhaps there intention is radical sound, in placing it as oxyl, almost like coded language or pig latin for that matter 2 words for the price of one - with graffiti, street art, underground movements need to convey subversive/revolutionary messages cryptically in order for a totalitarian/oppressive power not to be able to figure out what the movement is up to.

Taking a look at the cover of MX - there's a lot of disparate words, acronyms, etc. that to an ordinary viewer - doesn't make much sense but to people in the know or someone who understand the code - it makes sense. The whole point of the graffiti in the first place (at least graffiti from people trying to wake people up, not the vandalism kind).

now the last part - oto - which typically refers to the ear in medical terminology - otoscope, otosclerosis, etc. So the last word is ear, which we could then take it as to hear, or hearing. So the title means in the way they presented it on the cover -

Myl - Words or songs (a jump from the structure - mandible - used to produce sound/words/ideas

Oxyl/xylo (the anagram)- radical sounds/ideas through instrumentation (wood)

Oto - to be heard by the masses.

MYLO XYLOTO - Words/Ideas/Songs deemed to be radical, done through instruments (be it voice, wood instruments, electronics, etc.) and to be heard by the masses.

Now, it will be interesting to hear what they say eventually but I initally thought it was regarding the UK street artist - mylo, and his images/art/posters on the streets of London proposing "radical" ideas to the masses - and perhaps it still is, or at least they took their inspiration from him, hence the homage to mylo (who's website is xylo.me or something like that), and then using the words in such a way to convey Coldplay's intent with this record - like the graffiti artists involved in revolutions against tyrants and despotic governments.

Regardless, who knows - but I love just analyzing things, and these guys always make you think - thank god for coldplay. They are clever bastards if this indeed is partially true, even if not, I think art is up to the observer and whatever interpretation we take from it. A paraphrase on a zen saying, does art itruly exist if there is no one there to experience it. Coldplay truly does bring radical ideas/words through revolutionary music to be heard by the masses.

MYL OXYL OTO - can't wait - this may be their ok computer.

You lose.

Coldplay have said that their new album 'Mylo Xyloto' is a concept album about two characters 'Mylo' and 'Xyloto' who meet and fall in love.

The band release the album, which is their fifth studio LP, a week on Monday (October 24) and have also revealed that it is strongly influenced by dance and urban music.

Speaking to The Sun, drummer Will Champion revealed that the album follows the story of two characters and the struggle they go through to find love.

He said of the concept and characters: "They fall in love and try to escape together, the songs following what happens. 'Charlie Brown' is about running away while 'Paradise' is about feeling lost. The ending is very powerful and about love conquering all."

Bassist Guy Berryman also said that the band felt "bold" on this album and were unafraid to incorporate new influences and sounds, including a guest spot from Rihanna.

He said: We love Rihanna's music. We love so many different kinds of music that there is really nothing to lose by reflecting that in your record. We've been brave and bold with these songs. There are more modern, urban and dance influences in there. We approached it with a lot of confidence.

Champion also revealed that the album was almost an acoustic release before the band wrote new single 'Paradise', adding: "We'd started an acoustic album but then we wrote 'Paradise' and knew the acoustic thing didn't have legs."

taken from wearehunted.com

yet they have also said more than once that it absolutely means nothing at all and they wanted a fresh start. One thing we can agree on is that he has given multiple explanations about what it means

I have a completely different idea of what it means though it's obvious that Chris and the guys don't want it to mean one specific thing. I think that they know that people are going to interpret the title in different ways.

I'm glad you had fun with this and it was an interesting read. But I don't think there's a straight story right now. Some people are acting like there has been a confirmation of what it means...if you put all the interviews together there's no conclusion to be drawn at this point other than something ungoogleable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Did we figure out what the title meant?

Ok it's the night before the first concert in Philly and I want to know if the band has clarified any further what Mylo Xyloto means. I don't think it has only one meaning. It might be about two characters, but it also seems like the letters are a puzzle for us to solve. Too bad we don't have a code cracker to look at this. Even if Mylo and Xyloto are two characters, it doesn't mean that looking at the letters in different configurations might mean something else. Just to toss out this, if you look at the last four letters together, LOTO one of the meanings of LOTO is Leader of the Oppressed. After googling this, Abraham Lincoln is one figure in history who has been called a leader of the oppressed, but more frequently it is God himself who is cited as the Leader OF THE Oppressed. Am I the only one who seems to find hidden religious meanings in Coldplay's Lyrics? Is it possible that somehow through these words that seem to have no meaning, the band has encoded God's name? I don't know, but I find the music pretty inspiring.

Ok it's the night before the first concert in Philly and I want to know if the band has clarified any further what Mylo Xyloto means. I don't think it has only one meaning. It might be about two characters, but it also seems like the letters are a puzzle for us to solve. Too bad we don't have a code cracker to look at this. Even if Mylo and Xyloto are two characters, it doesn't mean that looking at the letters in different configurations might mean something else. Just to toss out this, if you look at the last four letters together, LOTO one of the meanings of LOTO is Leader of the Oppressed. After googling this, Abraham Lincoln is one figure in history who has been called a leader of the oppressed, but more frequently it is God himself who is cited as the Leader OF THE Oppressed. Am I the only one who seems to find hidden religious meanings in Coldplay's Lyrics? Is it possible that somehow through these words that seem to have no meaning, the band has encoded God's name? I don't know, but I find the music pretty inspiring.

tumblr_leq784qaYX1qcfba3o1_500.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...