✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 10 or 13 argument

harrisonrules

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a little strange Chris is the one wanting 13, because he seemed so obsessed with always making short albums...

I'll bet he's just upset thats we've already heard so much if the album that he wants to make it longer.

My thoughts:

--10-11 track album with hidden tracks like VLV

--13-track album

--10-11 track album with 2-3 extra songs saved for single B-sides

--10-11 track album with 2-3 songs never heard from again

I think it really could go any way for them. Long albums can be unwieldily, but I'm sure most of us want to hear as much as we can from them at some point. I'd prefer it to be a shorter album, but with the leftover songs saved for REAL B-sides, rather than just having remixes and radio edits and live versions on the single releases.

My thoughts:

--10-11 track album with hidden tracks like VLV

--13-track album

--10-11 track album with 2-3 extra songs saved for single B-sides

--10-11 track album with 2-3 songs never heard from again

I think it really could go any way for them. Long albums can be unwieldily, but I'm sure most of us want to hear as much as we can from them at some point. I'd prefer it to be a shorter album, but with the leftover songs saved for REAL B-sides, rather than just having remixes and radio edits and live versions on the single releases.

"Hidden" tracks are just dumb. Songs like Life is for Living and Reign of Love deserved their own track. Through the magic of Audacity, my Coldplay albums do :cool: My Viva is 13 tracks

1. Life in Technicolor

2. Cemeteries of London

3. Lost!

4. 42

5. Lovers in Japan

6. Reign of Love

7. Yes

8. Chinese Sleep Chant

9. Viva La Vida

10. Violet Hill

11. Strawberry Swing

12. Death and All His Friends

13. The Escapist

If they do the same convoluted thing with MX, i'll just rip it and remix it to how it should have ben in the first place as soon as I get it.

I kinda like the hidden track thing. They do it for a reason, because it's a single idea spanning two songs. For example, I can't picture "reign of love" meaning the same thing to me without LiJ right before it.

I kinda like the hidden track thing. They do it for a reason, because it's a single idea spanning two songs. For example, I can't picture "reign of love" meaning the same thing to me without LiJ right before it.

But they could still be back to back in the tracklisting...

With he exception of AROBTTH there has always been some sort of hidden or extra song, so it would not surprise me if they had 11 tracks and a plus somewhere in between.

. I'd prefer it to be a shorter album, but with the leftover songs saved for REAL B-sides, rather than just having remixes and radio edits and live versions on the single releases.

This! Having real B-sides would be a great way of releasing those songs that don't fit the album. It would make me really happy :P I don't know why but somewhow I don't see them releasing another EP like they did with VLV and Prospekt's March.

The current trend seems to be for a band to release an album and then six months to a year later release a "special edition" or "deluxe" version of that album with bonus tracks. I wonder if this is something that Coldplay would consider doing.

Also it should be noted that one of the 13 songs has a good chance of ending up as an itunes bonus track...

I'm not a huge fan of hidden tracks, either...I mean, with Viva it was nice because we got to hear more of their work, and the hidden tracks were usually pretty short, so the album didn't feel hugely long, but I'm not really in love with having two different songs jammed together on one track and being forced to separate them. "Reign of Love" is by far my least favorite thing on Viva, but "Lovers In Japan" is one of my favorites, so that's kind of annoying sometimes. I don't really mind one at the end, though, like "Till Kingdom Come" or "Life is For Living," even if I don't see the point in hiding them, especially when there's a huge gap of silence between the "last" track and the hidden ones.

I don't know. For me, a new track isn't necessarily a new song. It's a new thought/idea being contributed to the storyline of the album. If two songs work well together in that respect I actually prefer it. Plus, it seems that Reign and CSC are more interludes than stand-alone tracks. That's why they rarely ever played them live.

I'm a big proponent of artistic purity: art being enjoyed the way the artist wanted it to be. Which is why I love listening to the album start to finish (I rarely listen to just one track on any Coldplay album). Especially something as cohesive and textured as Viva was.

Plus, I love every note played on that freaking album. So it's not annoying to me at all! But if you hate Chinese Sleep Chant or Reign I could certainly understand the frustration.