✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think of the new song 'Paradise'?

rainplay

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually quite like it. A lot of people still want to hear an AROBTTH sounding Coldplay but i've accepted the fact that simply isn't going to happen again - they said themselves that Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y were a "trilogy" of albums before they released Viva.

VERY catchy.. My son who is 13, and NOT really a Coldplay fan, after two listens was singing it round the house! I think it will be a great single. I've had it on my brain too after a few listens this morning... humming it to myself at work all morning. It really gets bedded in there! Which is exactly what you want from a single, OMHO. :D

Not exactly what I was expecting, but the more I listen, the more I like it... It's not my favorite... not my worst... It needs time to bed in..

Would LOVE to hear it live.. then decide.

Eh...I've listened to it several times and I'll give it a 6. On the first listen I would've said a 4, but the more I've listened to it, it's kind of gone up, but I don't think it's ever going to get above a 6 for me.

I can appreciate what they are trying to do, but I'm just wondering how it's going to translate to being played live.

ETA: I'm a bit sad that Coldplay is going the synthpop route. Don't get me wrong, they do it well, but all the acts out there I can't stand are all synthpop acts. Maybe I'm a hipster as the memes suggest. I should put on my black hipster glasses and start complaining that Coldplay is too mainstream. haha! I'll be honest, when I first heard this, all I could think was, "Oh, I'm sure the club kids who like to party in the clubs are going to go crazy for this and it's remixes."

Do. Not. Want.

I really like the music and I think the strings and melody of the verse are really cool, but for me I expected more lyrically. We were told this was a 'narrative' song, so I really thought there would be more of a story here, which in turn would form a part of the bigger story of Mylo Xyloto. But it actually feels very thin in terms of what it actually tells us, by itself or as part of a larger work, and does unfortunately pass you by like radio-fillers Bruno Mars and Owl City.

Adam Young (Owl City) has released better stuff than Coldplay have as of yet in this new era.

Do NOT diss Owl City.

Srsly.

I meant that I'm being sceptical in general about the new album. When it came to the previous albums I was never let down by the music. Now I'm a bit afraid that the new experiments might not be what I was expecting.

I gave Paradise a 9 out of 10 because except for the ETIAW mention, it made me feel really good listening to it and I think it's better than the songs of MX that I've heard so far (ETIAW, MTM, MM- I avoid listening to the live ones).

Maybe I'll change my mind later, but for a first listen I though it's great. I mean, Mylo Xyloto is not out for another month. Maybe they are keeping the really great music for the actual album. ;)

Now for a favourite song- that's a difficult thing to schoose. I love many songs from each album but if I had to choose one I'd say-with great difficulty- Life in Technicolor ii.

Yeah I think I can understand what you mean

Would you say that LiT ii is just a point better than paradise? Really? Btw LiT ii is a great choice :p

Yeah I think I can understand what you mean

Would you say that LiT ii is just a point better than paradise? Really? Btw LiT ii is a great choice :p

I guess you're right. Grading songs is difficult because in the end everything is hypothetical- every person sees it in a different way.

LiTii is -of course!- better than Paradise. When I first heard it (only music, in VLV) I was in awe.

Well, to answer you, supposing we give LiTii or Clocks, or Fix You a ten, then I'd give Paradise a 6. I guess I didn't vote comparing it to other tracks. Again, everything's hypothetical. Maybe we do need a 20 point scale. ;)

What's your favourite?

Fangirls are gonna be pissed at me, but I don't give a shit. It's my opinion, and I'm gonna post what I said on Tumblr:

"I don’t know about it.

When I heard the preview I thought I’d like it. So, I bought it off iTunes today.

Kind’ve feeling like I wasted a dollar now.

I just don’t like this Coldplay. This “dance” Coldplay. This “electronica, let’s not use real instruments and use synthesized sound and drum machines and distort Chris’s voice” Coldplay.

I miss the old Coldplay. And NO, fangirls, I don’t want them to make the same songs over and over again.

I just want them to feel like real artists again…. not international superstars.

Anyhoo, Paradise is okay I guess. There are some things I love and some things I really, really hate… this has become a reoccurring pattern with me and Coldplay songs. :[

The orchestra in the beginning sounds great… I’m just wondering if they were an actual, real orchestra or played off of a keyboard.

I like the fact that the drum sounds real. It’s just just a dance beat in this song, like ETIAW.

The piano sounds good with the orchestra in between verses, but they have some kind’ve clinking sound in the background and that just, really isn’t needed. Kind’ve takes away from the orchestra.

And the lyrics… they just…. they could be better, Chris. I know you. I love you. I know the lyrics you’ve been able to produce in the past and this just… it feels like you just don’t give a shit anymore. You’re not trying to make us think. You’re not trying to make us feel something great or absolutely terrible. You’re just trying to cover up the fact that you can’t write anymore with some synthesized sound.

I’m sorry.

It’s just… I’m so unbelievably disappointed in them."

Everyone has their own opinion and every right to it. I for one really like the song. At the start I wasn't so sure, but once it picked up I got into it. I don't think I'd like a Coldplay song just because it was put out by them. But I do like getting to hear new stuff from them. It's still Coldplay after all and still Chris Martin's voice. I can't wait for the whole album.

I guess you're right. Grading songs is difficult because in the end everything is hypothetical- every person sees it in a different way.

LiTii is -of course!- better than Paradise. When I first heard it (only music, in VLV) I was in awe.

Well, to answer you, supposing we give LiTii or Clocks, or Fix You a ten, then I'd give Paradise a 6. I guess I didn't vote comparing it to other tracks. Again, everything's hypothetical. Maybe we do need a 20 point scale. ;)

What's your favourite?

Don't panic

Amsterdam

Life in technicolor

I could go on... There are many songs I really love

Adam Young (Owl City) has released better stuff than Coldplay have as of yet in this new era.

Do NOT diss Owl City.

Srsly.

I wasn't 'dissing' Owl City, or Bruno Mars. They're good at what they do, but Coldplay have produced works of art that make you feel alive in ways no other band can. IMHO (and that's all it is), OC and BM make music that sounds nice on the radio, but that doesn't set my world alight. It was just a comparison, that the chorus of Paradise reminded me of something I'd not really notice on the radio.

The good news is that I've now listened to it on big speakers and the sound is immense, especially the bass. Still don't love the chorus, but it is growing on me.

I feel terrible for saying this and can't believe that these words are coming out of my mouth, but for the first time ever, I'm disappointed in a Coldplay song. Every Coldplay song I've heard so far before "Every Teardrop" has been brilliant, even on their EP's ("A Rush of B-Sides" and "Prospekt's March", except for "Lost+"). But guys, what are you doing? What's with all of the synthesizers? The repetitive lyrics? Where's the depth and creativity? I know they are trying something new, but I feel like they've pushed it way too far to almost where it's much more pop than rock. I loved the direction where they went with "Viva la Vida" because of the mixtures of instruments and sounds and the incredible lyrics, but this is just not that. "Every Teardrop" and "Major Minus" are good, "Charlie Brown", "Moving To Mars", "I Go To Rio", and "Princess of China" (the live one) are great (not Top 20 worthy but still), but "Paradise"....I don't even know. Plus the fact that they're including Rihanna in "Princess of China" just isn't Coldplay, but rather too much more mainstream. Their songs were always just Coldplay, no one else, and that showed that they were a standalone, incredible band. Why change it? I'm not asking for another "A Rush of Blood To The Head" or "Parachutes", I'm just asking for another Coldplay album, not pop album.

I feel terrible for saying this and can't believe that these words are coming out of my mouth, but for the first time ever, I'm disappointed in a Coldplay song. Every Coldplay song I've heard so far before "Every Teardrop" has been brilliant, even on their EP's ("A Rush of B-Sides" and "Prospekt's March", except for "Lost+"). But guys, what are you doing? What's with all of the synthesizers? The repetitive lyrics? Where's the depth and creativity? I know they are trying something new, but I feel like they've pushed it way too far to almost where it's much more pop than rock. I loved the direction where they went with "Viva la Vida" because of the mixtures of instruments and sounds and the incredible lyrics, but this is just not that. "Every Teardrop" and "Major Minus" are good, "Charlie Brown", "Moving To Mars", "I Go To Rio", and "Princess of China" (the live one) are great (not Top 20 worthy but still), but "Paradise"....I don't even know. Plus the fact that they're including Rihanna in "Princess of China" just isn't Coldplay, but rather too much more mainstream. Their songs were always just Coldplay, no one else, and that showed that they were a standalone, incredible band. Why change it? I'm not asking for another "A Rush of Blood To The Head" or "Parachutes", I'm just asking for another Coldplay album, not pop album.

I'm totally with you