✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think of the new song 'Paradise'?

rainplay

Grower?

As a massive fan of ETIAW (can't understand why so many don't like it, it's such a majestic, uplifting song), I have to admit to being a little disappointed with Paradise. I, like so many others on here, really struggle to even type words like that, but as well as being devoted fans I think we do have to be honest.

I really like the music and I think the strings and melody of the verse are really cool, but for me I expected more lyrically. We were told this was a 'narrative' song, so I really thought there would be more of a story here, which in turn would form a part of the bigger story of Mylo Xyloto. But it actually feels very thin in terms of what it actually tells us, by itself or as part of a larger work, and does unfortunately pass you by like radio-fillers Bruno Mars and Owl City.

I don't think for one minute that we should worry about MX, as Chris Martin has more talent in his little finger than most musicians have in their entire bodies, and I don't think we should ever criticise such great artists for creating and producing the art they want to. MX songs like HLH, CB, UATW, ETIAW and MM are all great, and UIF sounds awesome, so we're safe. I guess we just expect a little bit more from a song that must have been in gestation with our favourite band for ages - but maybe Paradise will be a grower. It left me quite cold on first listen, but in the last hour I have warmed to it more. Let's hope it gets hotter and hotter.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't merge anything today due to the large capacity of people on the board! We'll merge once it settles down a bit :nice:
Nice to hear :)

Ah, maybe then I should just take a break as well and come back when the board quiets down a bit. :P

I don't think for one minute that we should worry about MX, as Chris Martin has more talent in his little finger than most musicians have in their entire bodies, and I don't think we should ever criticise such great artists for creating and producing the art they want to. MX songs like HLH, CB, UATW, ETIAW and MM are all great, and UIF sounds awesome, so we're safe.

THIS

GOSH people. some of you are acting as crying babies... Ok I guess it's ok if you don't like it. Wish you did, because I LOVE IT and I litterally feel like in Paradise .... yeah. pop-ish, catchy, and all that, but it's amazing.... clap clap Coldplay, they are SO consistent about everything in their career, so yeah... they did it again. Proud of them.

My thoughts before the first listen were "It had better not have anything like the 'wa-wa-wa-wa-waterfall' like ETIAW", and unfortunately, it did. I liked the start of the song, and the finish (Moyles ruined my first listen to the end, cheers), however the middle has poor lyrics again and a very repetitive tone. But having read alot of the comments, I think I agree with both sides of the argument. It's different from the Coldplay of old, maybe too different, but you don't get anywhere by standing still; they're moving forward. This song is for the pop crowd, the single which puts MX on the map for the new generation, who've maybe doubted Coldplay before, or not given them a chance. For Coldplay, the whole game is about the album, not the singles.

But at the same time, I think I would've preferred another song, e.g. Hurts Like Heaven or Charlie Brown, or another new one. For now though, I shall trust Coldplay's judgement. 6 from me.

7 - grows on you, listen a few times before you make up your mind. Sounds very boring and middle of the road on first listen but there is a bit more to the song.

The para-para reminds me of Chris' friend Rihanna's annoying umbrella-ella-ella.

Obviously will work well as a stadium rocker with the clapping and who-o-oahs already built in.

Here's my view:

First thing I did today was peeing, and then checking the board. Mistake. I was depressed before I'd even heard Paradise.

Was I the only one expecting this? It seemed clear they weren't gonna do a 'pure Coldplay' for their second single, because obviously they need a bigger audience, people. Come on, they've run out of money. :P

Anyway. Yesterday I liked the lyrics, but now they turned out to be repetitive and even feature every tear- SHUT UP! Ooh ooh's have become their trick, which is getting embarrassing. Para-para is also.... not my thing.

But I really love the rest, actually. It has a huge build. I got goosebumps at the second listen, which is a great sign. To me it's far better than ETIAW, maybe just because I was prepared this time.

Love the tempo, strings, bass, piano(!) and the great guitar. The off-sounding tone at the end and the odd chord somewhere halfway are very, very charming. Chris's voice - awesome. He sounds a little hoarse and more mature, it's gorgeous. That voice is still my favourite in the world and I keep falling for it. I can't help it.

I think if I don't let the negative comments get to me, I will very much enjoy this song. Call it my guilty pleasure. :escaping:

Er, I gave it an 8. (But then Politik would be 100.)

The only thing that seriously made me angry is Rihanna.

Rihanna?!

RIHANNA???!!!!!

I'm not defending you on that one, Chris.

I agree with the new fans theory. I feel a little betrayed they've chosen to appeal to a different, bigger audience. But if that's the band's choice, it's not like I'll be able to change it. Might as well enjoy it as much as I can.

My hopes are still high for Mylo Xyloto. It will be varied. It has Hurts Like Heaven :dazzled: and.... Rihanna :|.

I'm off to Paradise.

My personal rating of recent songs from the 2 bands

1. Lotus Flower

2. Codex

3. Major Minus

4. Moving to Mars

5. ETIAW

6. Bloom

7. Separator

8. Give up the Ghost

9. The Butcher

10. Supercollider

11. Paradise

12. Morning Mr Magpie

A bit hard really as the two bands are now so different, glad we don't have to choose one or the other!

I expect some more MX songs up there once the whole album is released - still hold high hopes!

Well, after listening to the song several times I can say that I like it. Of course it's not Fix You, or The scientist, or GPASUUF but I have the feeling, as I have seen with other great musicians, their music has become ethereal. The music and lyrics are more conceptual and conceptual is not always well received. It seems to me a brave move on their part because staying with the essence of the things makes you bigger. I think they want the music to be the message, not the lyrics. Nevertheless, I think we have to wait until the album comes out to rate it.

I couldn't hear everything too much static... weird

But the little I heard from the beginning is heavenly I loved the cello I think there is cello and how vast it sounds like water or air undulations and Chris Martin's voice is so cute I can't wait to hear the whole thing, It made me breathe so Thank you so much Coldplay for another blissful song :)

I'm gonna give it a solid 5. It's not the worst pop song ever, but it's not the best either.

Well, just a short assesment (later more): At first I didn't like it.

After some listenings the songs grow in me - actually 8/9 of ten points. I'm fascinated how thei envolve their style, fascinated by the brave of Coldplay. Not everybody will like it.

By the way: Its such a shame how some haters behave. Make fun of the song, make it ridicolous. This is so childish! And its not what Coldplay deserves even if the new Single isn't Clocks (no wonder, or?) With regard to postings by Lore and Co. (always the same users!) I have to cry, because this is absolutely not grateful for all their beautiful music (for Lore and Co. "music of the past"). A shame how people with 20.000 + posts sometimes react...