✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think of the new song 'Paradise'?

rainplay

Lotus Flower and Paradise aren't very comparable songs, but I guess that wasn't the point of this thread.

Lotus Flower and TKOL is in general kind of "dull", but I love the whole album actually. I'm such a weirdo (and a creep).

Paradise IS hugely catchy...in terms of pop/rock-ness it does a great job. And it's not as overblown in synth as ETIAW. The combination of these factors made Paradise a fun song on first listen which I didn't get on ETIAW. However, the chorus kind of kills the song for me.

Everything on TKOL you need to listen to a whole bunch of times to appreciate, which is a mixed blessing because then you can like it all without guilt, but in the end, it may not be as "fun" to listen to because it takes a lot more effort to get a reward.

That said, Coldplay really needs to tap into its AROBTTH and VLV veins because both of those albums balance catchiness and musical finesse perfectly - looking back, Clocks is such a catchy tune yet I don't think anyone here will say it's stupid or poppy or anything. (which people probably WERE saying back in the day)

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my few years of being a Coldplay fan, I've learned that you simply can't compare the albums to each other. They were all written in different eras and in different frames of mind with regards to the band, so I've stopped doing that a long time ago. That being said, I really do like the new single! Yeah, it's different. Do I like it more than, say, Politik? No! But do I appreciate that my favorite band is moving in a new direction (yet again) and is still surprising me with new and beautiful music? Absolutely!

I gave it an 8! :)

seriously? GROW THE FUCK UP.

''Oh no it's full of synth and drums and it sounds poppy''

The ONLY reason it sounds poppy is cause of synth. TOO FUCKING BAD THE WHOLE ALBUM IS FULL OF SYNTH AND I FUCKING LOVE IT! 95% OF PoC is SYNTH. SYNTH. SYNTH.

And as for Rhianna appearing on it, SO WHAT. SHE'S A VOCALIST. SHE'S NOT GONNA SING LYRICS ON IT. SHE'S NOT GONNA BE IN THE VIDEO SUCKING THE BAND OFF.

The song is good, WAY better than that teardrop shit. The song is different, but nice. it's.. pretty. the bass is good. the guitar.. meh too little of it. the lyrics? not the best, but it's a CONCEPT FUCKING ALBUM - YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT AS A WHOLE.

Singles - mainstream and trying to get a larger audience.

Rest of the songs on MX - for us true Coldplay fans who don't care if it's ''mainstream'' or ''poppy'' or ''synthy''. Getting pissed cause the album is synthy is like complaining that Dubstep is too bassy. GROW THE FUCK UP!

I can't fault the first 3 albums, then "Death" happened and something died in the music (my own personal opinion)

I didn't like ETIAW and I don't like this one either. I'm pretty gutted. But I do like the sound of some of the others they played live that have been broadcast. So too be fair there are always 1 or 2 tracks everyone dislikes/non-favourites on an album and just because they are singles does not mean they are the best tracks, everyone has their own personal favourites. So hopefully these are the 2, and there rest will be just fine - from what I've heard live.

Well I've only listened to it once, so my first impression is to give it a 7.

It's not my favourite Coldplay song and it's not my least favourite. I'm sure it will grow on me as do most songs.

I have to say that I like the "every tear is a waterfall" lyric, because I love how they also carry over certain lyrics between songs.

I love the instrumentals at the beginnning.

seriously? GROW THE FUCK UP.

''Oh no it's full of synth and drums and it sounds poppy''

The ONLY reason it sounds poppy is cause of synth. TOO FUCKING BAD THE WHOLE ALBUM IS FULL OF SYNTH AND I FUCKING LOVE IT! 95% OF PoC is SYNTH. SYNTH. SYNTH.

And as for Rhianna appearing on it, SO WHAT. SHE'S A VOCALIST. SHE'S NOT GONNA SING LYRICS ON IT. SHE'S NOT GONNA BE IN THE VIDEO SUCKING THE BAND OFF.

The song is good, WAY better than that teardrop shit. The song is different, but nice. it's.. pretty. the bass is good. the guitar.. meh too little of it. the lyrics? not the best, but it's a CONCEPT FUCKING ALBUM - YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT AS A WHOLE.

Singles - mainstream and trying to get a larger audience.

Rest of the songs on MX - for us true Coldplay fans who don't care if it's ''mainstream'' or ''poppy'' or ''synthy''. Getting pissed cause the album is synthy is like complaining that Dubstep is too bassy. GROW THE FUCK UP!

HOLY FUCK I HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN YOURS?!?!?! IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

Calm down brah. Dropping the f-bomb and using caps isn't going to change my or others' opinions. I'll still buy the album because I highly respect Coldplay and love them to death, but I still feel that this track sucks. I understand it's a concept album and that each track tells a part of a story, but Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is also a concept album, and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" is considered one of the greatest rock singles of all time, and people don't need to listen to the entire album to know that. The only version of PoC we've all heard is the live version, and that almost entirely bases itself on regular instrumentals (the rest is that Chinese-esque sound). We don't know what Rihanna is doing in the song. All Chris said in the interview is that she is featured on the track, but they've "made her sound different". For all we know, she could be singing a verse with Chris in her "Russian Roulette"-style voice. LOL and paralleling Coldplay with dubstep is a completely invalid argument. Bass is the foundation for dubstep. Synthesizers aren't for Coldplay.

I'm shocked at the negative reaction, frankly. Coldplay have always changed their sound from album to album, and I find this new sound exciting. I couldn't stand the idea of them doing something that sounds like "old Coldplay" again. Because "old Coldplay" is...well, very much like OK Computer-era Radiohead. Coldplay finally sounds like a band doing their own thing, and I'm shocked more people aren't being supportive of that.

Lore&co? fucking LOL. I've seen lots of newbies saying that the song is crap.

I'd say stop being blind fangirls, Major_love & co.If you want to kiss Coldplay's ass do it but let us post our opinions too.

Nobody has something against posting opinions.

But most of the "newbies" claimed just their opinion. You created your Backstreet Boys thread and "LOLed" all the time. This is RIDICOLOUS! And Coldplay doesn't deserve that, no matter how you like their new style, or I should say: The Not-Parachutes-Coldplay.

Look at me. Firstly I didn't like it but I just stated it and accept it as a part of Coldplay . I said that nevertheless I don't like the song I have to accept it in a way as a kind of the development.

Your answer here shows very well how annoying you are. Sorry, I have to say this. For me, all the fangirls/boys in this forum aren't as bothersome as you.

I'm definitely not a fanboy but I have to admit that I'm just grateful that Coldplay doesn't look on single fans who wanted them to produce another Everythings not lost, or Clocks, or Sparks. I'm happy how they develop, and I will accept some mistakes on this brave route.

:) this is actually better than any of the latest radiohead songs fron their latest album... except Codex

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement that I will not dignify with a response.

....CRAP!

Alright, I'll bite. The King of Limbs, like Kid A, is an album and it was meant to be listened to as such. It was never meant to be a collection of stand-alone songs. Songs like Feral and Morning Mr. Magpie work because of what they add lyrically and compositionally to the album.

Also, Give Up the Ghost is better than any song Coldplay has ever done. How's that for an obnoxiously ridicuous statement? ;)

It was a HUGE shock at first, but I've only listened to it four times, and now I rather like it :) What seemed like a one-trick song at first seems to be much, much more complex now.

Whether or not it becomes a favourite for me is far too early to say. I'd suspect not, but then I disliked Viva for months until it suddenly just 'clicked' and Violet Hill took about 30 listens of utter shock before it did the same. Since then it's been top 10 for me (unlike Viva, though I do like it).

I still am uncomfortable about the pop production of the chorus, but I'd say R42 was right - this is a 'massive' tune. It may not come into its own until it's seen live. Also, I can see a real place for this on the setlist - it's just such a contrast to anything else they have. I can already imagine this going into Viva, or Clocks, even Lost - just about anything.

So, I'll reserve judgement on the score. But for now I'm happy enough - a very brave move by the band :sunny: