✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Oct-2011] Coldplay @ Today Show, Rockefeller Plaza, New York, USA

Heh, it sounds bad, but it was a lot of fun. The whole night/morning was the best Coldplay experience I ever had. The only thing I'm worried about this time is how cold it will get in the middle of the night. :\

Yeah, I've slept out on the street for Coldplay before, so no worries, but I just was hoping there was a chance of VIP passes this time too to make it all easy. With all of us together and hanging out all night, it's going to be a blast!

I am SO going to this! I don't have class on Fridays, so this is perfect! I didn't get to go last time, VIP or otherwise, so I'm so excited :D :D :D :dance:

also- Chelsea... are we gonna have a real life meeting, then?!? :o

YES! :dance: :dance: :dance: Oh man, we're going to make up for all the times we didn't meet, sleeping out on the street all night :lol:.

For those of you who went last time what made it your best Coldplay experience ever?

I am just trying to decide if it would be worth it to fly out to NY from Los Angeles for this.

As said, it was really, really fun, but I don't know if it was something I'd really travel to get to. They will only play 4-5 different songs, but they'll play them multiple times over and over to make sure they get a good take--it's awesome to see, but it's nothing like a real concert or anything. The other thing is that unless you win VIP passes in some hypothetical contest, it's impossible to get right in the front: the whole front section is roped off for VIPs, so normal people that have waited for hours and hours, at best, can only get to be about 20 rows back (or in back of the stage). If you don't get there early enough...I mean, this was the biggest crowd Today ever had, and people were as far as like four city blocks away. They had to do helicopter shots of the audience!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im most likely going to this event, since I live on Long Island about 30 minutes from Penn Station. I will be there possibly as early as midnight just in case. Is it possible to get really close to the band? Do they come out to greet the fans in the front? If there are VIP tickets, how do we get a hold of them and what privileges do we get? I was really hoping to get a picture with the band and have a few words. It probably seems a bit much doesn't it? I have wanted to meet them for so long.

Yeah, if it's anything like last time, none of that is going to happen. They didn't do anything in the crowd at all or talk to fans outside of a wave or something like that, think of that aspect of it being like a normal concert.

Last time, Ian had VIP tickets from NBC that he gave out to members on here, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen this time. The only other way to do it is probably via radio station contests or to know someone at NBC. VIP tickets only meant that we got to be in the very front section of the crowd without waiting in line, it didn't mean more than that. Without VIP tickets, if the setup is the same as last time, the closest you're going to get is about 15-20 rows back, and that's if you sleep out on the street the night before. I don't mean that to sound like a downer, though--it's still really REALLY fun, and to see how TV performances are put together is really cool (I've done it a few times now, and it's fascinating to me every time). And between songs and takes and warmups, the guys would kind of joke with each other and to the crowd a bit through microphones, so it's more special than a concert in that respect because not everything is planned out and scripted.

Ok thanks a lot! Glad I know this now rather than finding out the day of. But youre right it still sounds really really fun. Sounds like an unforgettable experience either way. It will still probably be a lot of fun just talking to a bunch of other Coldplay fanatics and seeing a free show even if it is rather short. It looks as if my quest to meet the band will have to continue on a bit longer.

Mmm, I was there all night and originally was pretty far back in the crowd. We were lucky enough to be moved to the back corner of the stage.

Coldplayluv - Overall, everything about it made it a good experience for me. The crowd was fun... definitely the friendliest concert crowd that I've ever been in. While we waited in line, the group of girls in front of us were sweet and cool to talk to, and the people behind us were some drunk boys who kept cracking jokes the whole time. It was neat to see what happens behind the scenes of the Today Show and during commercials, and seeing the sound check/rehearsal was really cool too. My favorite thing was that we got a good view of the show, but I was VERY lucky for that to happen and I don't count on it happening again.

I swore if they ever did the Today Show again, that I'd definitely be there. I'm coming up by train, and it's a 20 hour ride from here (I don't fly)

Our friend on the boards here, Julie video taped 5 segments of the Today show back in 2008, if you Youtube "Today show with Coldplay 2008", what she got on Video is well worth going to this, since the band came out really early and sounchecked and talked to the crowd, it was wonderful!!!

I'm going - have booked my flight and hotel room. I will get there early but I won't be camping out all night. For one thing it's going to be cold, for another if I'm paying the cost of a midtown Manhattan hotel room I want to USE it! Will likely get there around 5 a.m. and hope for the best. Since I'm older than the typical Coldplay fan I can always play the old lady card. :laugh3:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if I brought one, I was only going to hold it up once or twice, and only for a few seconds. I was going to be considerate with it, I swear! But, I really don't want to obscure anyone's view or piss off the people behind me... :thinking:

If I drive from Virginia the night before, am I pretty sure to get a ticket if I show up at 6:00am. :thinking:

Good afternoon. On Friday 21 October, Coldplay will be performing a special live concert for NBC's TODAY show in New York's Rockefeller Plaza. The performance starts at 7am EST.

If you'd like to go along and watch, viewing is on a first-come, first-served basis outside TODAY's window-on-the-world studio, located at 49th Street and Rockefeller Plaza in New York City. We're told that, for the best viewing spots, you should arrive by 6am.

Anchorman

It's not ticketed, you just show up and try to get the best place you can :smiley:. And no, if you arrive at 6AM, I pretty much guarantee you won't even see the band for a second. The last Today Show, they had record-breaking crowds filling up whole city blocks. I got there at 6AM and there were thousands of people just overflowing into the street from two blocks away...I don't even know if they could hear, let alone see. It's really an arrive-the-night-before-and-camp-out sort of deal :\

I saw this fan pass thing on my of my NYC concert websites: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30012397#.TpMbApsr2sq

Not sure which form they are talking about, only thing is that comment box at the bottom. But you can sign up for the newsletter.

Not sure if begging them on twitter would hurt or help: http://twitter.com/#!/todayshow

Totally confused about their site, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for the tip nonetheless. Totally going to try my hardest to get some of these. :]]

OMG, I got just an e-mail from NBC.

CONGRATS from TODAY! - "COLDPLAY" Fan Pass Attached

The attached pass is good for you plus ONE additional guest. Please do not bring other guests, as they will not be admitted.

Please read the information on the pass carefully and print and bring with you on the morning of the concert. Names will be checked.

Cancellation

If you are unable to attend, please notify us immediately by replying to this email. A select amount of passes were distributed and we'd like to offer someone else a spot.

Thank You!

Definitely fill out the boxes in the bottom, I just put in the message box I am bring 1 guest.

OMG, I got just an e-mail from NBC.

Definitely fill out the boxes in the bottom, I just put in the message box I am bring 1 guest.

OMG CONGRATS!

I just did too, fingers MAJORLY crossed! When did you apply? I checked yesterday and didn't see those forms, but I hope I didn't apply too late.

I did the same, I just wrote "I would like to bring one guest" (and filled one out for my mom, too), but I hope that's enough. Eeek! I felt like I needed to write an essay about my love for Coldplay :P