✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Will You Listen On The 19th?

TraceOddity

I wouldn't be so sure. All pre-release copies of MX (including the band member's) are encrypted with unique codes, so if it were to leak, EMI would be able to track down exactly who it was who leaked it and when. They would then presumably face legal troubles because it is unlawful to leak the album before release. I can't see why anyone would risk that and lose their career over leaking an album.

While such a thing is indeed illegal obviously, that hasn't stopped people from leaking...every album in existence for the last several years. Heck, if we want to use Coldplay as their own example, just look at Viva's leak. Nobody was charged over that one.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While such a thing is indeed illegal obviously, that hasn't stopped people from leaking...every album in existence for the last several years. Heck, if we want to use Coldplay as their own example, just look at Viva's leak. Nobody was charged over that one.

Lol did you read my post?

Viva didn't have the codes on it - so there is no way of knowing who leaked it. The leaker was comfortable in the knowledge that they won't lose their job/their friend's job over it because the leaking was anonymous.

MX does have encrypted codes, so they will be able to find out who's copy it was who leaked it. If EMI found out exactly who leaked it, they'd certainly charge them. That's a huge, huge, huge deterrent.

Lol did you read my post?

Viva didn't have the codes on it - so there is no way of knowing who leaked it. The leaker was comfortable in the knowledge that they won't lose their job/their friend's job over it because the leaking was anonymous.

MX does have encrypted codes, so they will be able to find out who's copy it was who leaked it. If EMI found out exactly who leaked it, they'd certainly charge them. That's a huge, huge, huge deterrent.

I did not know about the code thing. Still, I would assume encryption is used on more albums than just MX these days, and those albums still leak. Stuff leaks. Fact. You can prevent it up to a certain point, but eventually something will become public enough that it will seep out into the whole Internet. With the way Coldplay has been so open about its upcoming material, this isn't going to be like The King of Limbs.

I did not know about the code thing. Still, I would assume encryption is used on more albums than just MX these days, and those albums still leak. Stuff leaks. Fact. You can prevent it up to a certain point, but eventually something will become public enough that it will seep out into the whole Internet. With the way Coldplay has been so open about its upcoming material, this isn't going to be like The King of Limbs.

I just don't see how you can be that certain about it.

To my knowledge most albums these days don't have the codes, because it takes a lot of money to set that up. Also, Coldplay is a huge band with a huge label behind them and someone who leaks it will know that they have a huge chance of losing their whole career over it. That surely must be a monumental deterrent.

I'm not saying it 100% certainly won't leak, because people are stupid and some idiot will probably leak it and ruin his life. But I think there is a real chance it won't leak because of the codes and we may not hear it until the Japanese release.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot about shops getting copies earlier than the release date to prepare for sale. It will leak before the 19th, it will leak once the album starts being distributed to shops, because those copies won't have the codes on them.

So probably around the 15th is my bet.

I just changed my guess.

I'm going with October 32nd. I think September one-teenth is likely too.

How could I not predict this? :lol:

I'm not sure, but I think radio station music directors have access early too...they used to. And they'll want to show off to their friends. (Stupid, but it happens.)

I have a friend in the industry who has heard it, and she'd NEVER trust me, or even family members with it, and I wouldn't ask her to, but there are those who would, and those who prefer bragging rights to their jobs.

I just changed my guess.

I'm going with October 32nd. I think September one-teenth is likely too.

ahaha YES!!!!

on a slight side note: Could someone tell me about VLV leaking please? :) When and by who? ....i could google it but i'm a bit lazy

I'll do some digging and see if I can find it. The links were actually posted on a Justin Timberlake forum, iirc, and the forum members were really nice to us Coldplayers who took over for a couple of crazy hours. It was fun! And it really changed my view of JT fans. :)

EDIT: Can't find it, and I don't have my copy of the files or I'd check the date there. Anyone?

EDIT 2: Looks like June 5th, so only a couple ofdays before, then the band 'Leaked it to iHeartRadio themselves. Probably prefering a HQ version be out there, and knowing the true fans would still buy it. But it was 3 years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.

How could I not predict this? :lol:

I'm not sure, but I think radio station music directors have access early too...they used to. And they'll want to show off to their friends. (Stupid, but it happens.)

I have a friend in the industry who has heard it, and she'd NEVER trust me, or even family members with it, and I wouldn't ask her to, but there are those who would, and those who prefer bragging rights to their jobs.

What has she said about Mylo Xyloto?

I'll try the leak when its online, but at the same time i alredy buy the disc in my nearest store here en Chile, i cannot wait to the release of the album to have the disc in my hands. I'll won't feel so guilty to hear the leak hahah i'll have both things anyway :)

What has she said about Mylo Xyloto?

Just that she thinks it's brilliant and their best yet. I know she has to say that, but it was a private conversation, and she's not afraid to speak her mind, so if she'd thought it was shit, she'd have said so. It's great to hear that from someone who's known their music from the beginning. :)

People say 'it's their best' every time a new album is imminent.

listening parties said the same about X&Y and Viva.

You can't really beat the test of time, and see in a few months, even a year if it's as good as previous albums. good music can take a realllllly long time to be given proper critique.

also, in reply to the original thread q- yes, i would listen to a leak now.

I don't think the band care when you hear it, so when people are like 'oh i won't listen to a leak until the release date' really bugs me, The band just want you to purchase it fairly.

I think as long as you actually buy it, who cares when you hear it- you're still paying the band for their work and giving them your appreciation.

Yeah, from what we've heard so far, it's no AROBTTH, but isstill good. All I'm saying is she wouldn't say that if she didn't believe it, unlike someone in public who has to say it.

I only wait because I'm that kind of person. I don't open Christmas gifts early either. But I don't think listening to a leak is wrong or bad if you're going to purchase it fairly when it's available. With Viva, I listened to COL and saved the rest til I had hard copy. Nothing beats bringing a new album home, playing it, reading the liner notes and experiencing the total package. We're losing that, I think...but that's another thread,lol.