✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

the album leaked, maybe its time for a short thread about your first impressions of Mylo Xyloto if you heard it completely.

What do you think about it?

listening the whole album in repeat! :smug:

right now, it's 8/10 for me.

ps: PoC is GREAT :clap:

My quick review.

1. Mylo Xyloto - Decent intro. Preferred the faster versions from live shows though. 7/10

2. Hurts Like Heaven - Still a good song but far too overproduced. Chris Martin's vocals are ruined, as is the guitar in the intro (which you can barely hear due to about 50 over sounds. 7/10

3. Paradise - Good catchy atmospheric tune. I can see the idea but gets a little too repetitive. Like the piano outro. 6/10

4. Charlie Brown - Again loved the live versions but I feel this is again overdone in production terms. The vocals should be much simpler but the special effects let them down again. 7/10

5. Us Against The World - The chorus is too simple for my liking and again the production ruins what could've been a really good listen. 6/10

6. MMIX - Pretty pointless build up for the next track when you think about it but I've heard worse interludes. 5/10

7. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - I liked it before and still like it now. The production is big but fits ok here. 8/10

8. Major Minus - Didn't particularly like it as a b-side and not sure why it's in the middle of this album. Again the vocals are ruined and the live versions were better. 5/10

9. UFO - Like it. Once again bad production but it's a good short Chris Martin song. 8/10

10. Princess of China - This is bizarre IMO. Rihanna doesn't do a bad job but it just all seems a bit pointless. This is a Coldplay album and Chris Martin can sing just fine by himself. 4/10

11. Up In Flames - Would be perfect if it was less produced but again Martin's vocals aren't trusted enough and strangely autotune is used at times =\ 7/10

12. A Hopeful Transmission - Good interlude 7/10

13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart - Best song of the album. The only track where they properly let Coldplay be Coldplay. The drums are allowed to stand on their own as are the vocals for the most part. 9/10

14. Up With The Birds - A bit like two songs in one but overall it's a good track and a good finish to the album. Again finally they let Chris Martin sing on his own.. shame it takes over half hour for that to happen. 8/10

Overall 7/10 but the over the top production and killing of Chris Martin's voice that stops it being a 9 or a 10.

Charlie Brown <3 DLIBYH <3

Had the album on repeat for the past few hours and I have to say I like it a lot!

Am agreeing about PoC, Rihanna has too much lines in it. If the 'couldve been a princess' would be sung by Chris it would be a lot better I think.

A Hopeful Transmission mesmerizes me for some reason and it fits perfectly with DLIBYH

HLH is slightly disappointing, thanks to the production.

This album is in my opinion a better cohesive album then VLV, although I loved that album as well. For now I ain't able to say that I don't like any of the songs. It scores a 9/10 to me =)

Love it!!! full review to come - but man - it really is an amazing album, they truly are a blessing and a gift from nature/god/etc. - viva la Coldplay!

Love MX/HLH (like it live though more than studio at present, mix off for some reason), Paradise, CB (wow!!), UATW (so glorious/grand), MMIX into ETIAW (what beauty), MM, UFO (parachutes homage), POC (amazing!), UIF (one of my new favorites, didn't like initially), AHT (beautiful interlude), i'll be honest DLIBY hasn't caught me fully yet (feel like it's x&y esque and trying to be a bit like the 2nd half of Death and all his friends for some reason), UATB (interesting, still digesting it, but like it)

But overall - amazing album, love the evolution of coldplay.

MX/Hurts Like Heaven: 8/10

Paradise: 8,25/10

Charlie Brown: 10/10

Us Against the World: 9,5/10

MMIX/ETIAW: 8,25/10

Major Minus: 8/10

UFO: 8/10

Princess of China: 6/10

Up in Flames: 7,75/10

A Hopeful Transmission/Don't Let it Break Your Heart: 8,5/10

Up in Flames: 8,75/10

MYLO XYLOTO = 8,25

AROBTTH>>X&Y>MX=PARACHUTES=VIVA

On my fourth listen now :)

The last 4 songs are absolutely wonderful.

Up in flames is a much better song than I expected, seems much more sentimental in the studio version.

HLH and CB are excellent as always, and I much prefer the studio version of MX than the live one.

EDIT: Cue Nature coming in and giving it a 0 and then complaining profusely.

LMAO at people not respecting others' opinions. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't love it.

For example, I hate the Doors, but some people say they are the best band of all time. Same way I feel about the Rolling Stones. But I love the Beatles and Pink Floyd, which others don't like at all.

Or even more polarizing, I hate Metallica, but some will say they have classic albums. Just because I don't like it doesn't necessarily make it bad...

First listen:

Good things

- UFO

- DLIBYH

- Charlie Brown

- UWTB

Bad Things

- ETIAW

- Paradise

- How they ruined Chris voice in HLH

6/10, a bit better than I expected

"- How they ruined Chris voice in HLH"