✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

This album is a masterpiece and it is their best album ever! Yes, it is different from Parachutes, but in a very good way. I'm so proud for being a Coldplay fan!

your seriously smoking something...or you had a ear to death accident when you was a little kid or somthing...this is their LEAST best album

its a 5/10 for me

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
your seriously smoking something...or you had a ear to death accident when you was a little kid or somthing...this is their LEAST best album

its a 5/10 for me

Wonderful eh. Out goes the right to form one's own opinion then eh. Listen MATE, if someone thinks it's their masterpiece then they are fully vindicated to do so. Likewise if you don't think that way. Now shut up and let people say what they want about the album.

Wonderful eh. Out goes the right to form one's own opinion then eh. Listen MATE, if someone thinks it's their masterpiece then they are fully vindicated to do so. Likewise if you don't think that way. Now shut up and let people say what they want about the album.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS!!!! :nod:

its a 5/10 for me

You obviously don't know how to respect other people's opinions! If you offend me again I will report you!

8.5 - 9 / 10

Overall great album, Hurts like Heaven/Charlie Brown did not disappoint in their studio versions.

Don't let it break your heart is beautiful, didn't expect this type of song on this album, amazing.

Sounds like a sped up Clocks/Speed of Sound with hints of Charlie Brown mixed in, but even better. Up in flames, I heard it once in that live video, was waiting for the studio one.. Incredible <333 Probably ONE OF my favorites.

8/10

FYI....you don't have to DL this leak to hear it. If one were to really search, you can find sites that have it posted in a player form. No downloading necessary.

I thought the album was wonderful. I did skip PoC, though. I tried listening to it in the context of the whole album, but I just couldn't. It should've been left off.

Sorry Debs. Just couldn't resist. I am a true fan, though. I have already pre-ordered the digital version and will be buying a physical copy as well. I will go see them live when they tour and buy merchandise. I'm sorry if you feel like those who listened to the leak aren't true fans.

Touché, Coldplay.

I’ve only listened twice, but everything sounds so much better in context. Which I figured would happen, and which is what I was hoping for.

I still don’t think this is their best work in my personal opinion, just because it’s not “my style” so much, but leave it to Coldplay to make something completely different to what I usually listen to and hope for and still impress me.

Right now, I’m thinking 6.5 or 7/10, even though I hate ranking things out of ten. As a whole piece of work, it’s great. There are several things and moments I would have done differently, but Eno and I don’t really see eye-to-eye on lots of things, so that’s OK. I always go on the low side when I first hear albums I’m greatly anticipating, though, because I have a fear of being too overly generous at first in excitement (which I’ve done before). I think this will end up being firmly between a 7 and an 8 for me, which is…astonishing, given what I expected.

And the fact that there are still only two dud songs (which sound much better on the album than as singles) is a great thing, for any band, any album.

I can’t believe I get to see them on Friday. I cannot believe it. I’m like in tears over that.

I think every album has his touch. Each one appreciates the album in a way, I cannot explain, maybe people generalize too much. But it is the opinion of each and must be respected. It's not about to be a music expert to appraise Mylo Xyloto, I am far from it. It's about me as a fan of Coldplay and they have managed to once again capture all the feelings in this album. And I appreciate they can still do this to me.

The ride was a good ride, but the ride was too fast.

Way too fast for me to understand and appreciate it as a concept album.

The production made it feel rushed and I do not remember a single moment of genuine intimacy, that Coldplay are so famous for providing.

I was very disappointed as to how 'Mylo Xyloto', 'M.M.I.X', 'A Hopeful Transmission' and even 'Don't Let It Break Your Heart' to some extent, were limited to repeating the same motif. 'DLIBYH' was hardly the original, anthemic masterpiece I was expecting; I would describe it as a heavily reverberated Glass of Water. And the rest; with such interesting titles, it was the wrong decision to make them sound the same.

Although the festival songs were great, the unfortunate repetition with the rest of the album led me to believe that the album suffered from not exploring enough musical ideas. I was misled when I thought the creativity in the festival songs, indicated the creativity of the album as a whole. The unknown section of the album simply wasn't enough. Take out the festival songs, and Mylo Xyloto is rubbish.

i pretty much hate it... i like the songs as individual tracks that are from different albums and artists that i pieced together myself and then put them on shuffle but as an album the story is great but the rihanna thing was awful and the music was too loud its as if chris was fighting it just to be heard coz i really wish theyd go back to songs like yellow where it moved me when i listened to it. like my life was a mess but who cares im not the only one. i miss that conforting feeiling coldplay music used to make me feel. its good though but its not as good as COlDPLAY. i hope this is the rough version and not the studio one they will release coz i wouldve been very upset if i had bought it.

ps: i love coldplay more than anything and i hope they make a more coldplay-ish album and release it like they did with prospekt's march. thatll be great

pps: now that ive listened again and again i think i like it more and more. it grows on you and you figure out something new each time but still... HLH, Charlie Brown, MM, ETIAW, even paradise make a lot of sense in that first bit then AHTM and DLIBYH just bring everything together. its a solid 7 for me now. They should have kept the songs but made them less pop and more acoustic like with U.F.O. and everything wouldve been great.

Touché, Coldplay.

I’ve only listened twice, but everything sounds so much better in context. Which I figured would happen, and which is what I was hoping for.

I still don’t think this is their best work in my personal opinion, just because it’s not “my style” so much, but leave it to Coldplay to make something completely different to what I usually listen to and hope for and still impress me.

Right now, I’m thinking 6.5 or 7/10, even though I hate ranking things out of ten. As a whole piece of work, it’s great. There are several things and moments I would have done differently, but Eno and I don’t really see eye-to-eye on lots of things, so that’s OK. I always go on the low side when I first hear albums I’m greatly anticipating, though, because I have a fear of being too overly generous at first in excitement (which I’ve done before). I think this will end up being firmly between a 7 and an 8 for me, which is…astonishing, given what I expected.

And the fact that there are still only two dud songs (which sound much better on the album than as singles) is a great thing, for any band, any album.

I can’t believe I get to see them on Friday. I cannot believe it. I’m like in tears over that.

Even though you and I do not always see eye to eye, I have always enjoyed your opinions on music. I joined here several months before VLV leaked and lurked for a couple years before that. Always find your insight interesting.... Just had my first listen and like you my excitement always gets the best of me and I want to say everything is a 10!!! However, Paradise and POC killed much of that for me. On my 2nd listen now. Parachutes, AROBTTH and VLV were so instant for me.... Just blew me away on the first listens. X&Y took forever to grow and not all of the songs ever did. Parachutes does work much better in context. I wish Id never heard some of these songs live first.... That does not include MM. I like the studio version as much if not better than the live version. Anyways... My two cents there. Always fun to see what you have to say...

I'll be lazy and C+P this from WoM:

- Starting the download. Wasn't even remotely difficult to find a leak (if you can't find it, you aren't trying).

- MX opener...whatever...doesn't last long enough to make any positive or negative impression like Life in Technicolor.

- So...I was right about Hurts Like Heaven studio autotune? FUCK. Oh well, at least I can now shove it in the face of every single user who told me "STFU moron, Coldplay is too talented to use autotune!"

- Everyone who compares this to "Keep the Car Running" is dumb. KTCR is infinitely better.

- Paradise comes this early in the album? At least I can get it out of the way...

- Oh fuck, I forgot how much I hated this song.

- "We're just a pair o', pair o', pair o' guys...me and Jonny Buckland...oh wait, you can't hear anything by Jonny in this song because the synths are so overbearing!"

- Good to know Coldplay writes club anthems now. Yet another reason never to go to clubs (I'm serious, I HATE clubs).

- Studio Charlie Brown! I liked the live versions I heard but it wasn't the second coming of Clocks like everyone insists.

- I might legitimately like Charlie Brown if it weren't for that dumb "All the boys, all the girls" sequence. Oh well, least painful song so far. It's pure pop but done in a more positive manner.

- Us Against the World...first one I have positive expectations for...let's see...

- Chris's deep voice is a mixed bag, but I will say it works better here than on "Yes" on VLV (one of my least favorite Coldplay songs ever)

- Oh good, they kept Will's part on studio. I'm liking this one so far.

- Okay, UATW is the first good track on the album. I'm not a fan of a few of the vocal moments, but they're minor complaints compared to my other complaints on the album.

- MMIX...okay? Huh?

- IT WAS A WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-TURD-FALL

- I turn the music up, I put my records on, I punch some babies listening to this horrid song

- I don't know about you, but I'd rather be a full stop than a comma. I don't know what that means but it sounds way cooler.

- Major Minus FUCK THIS SONG. This is not a good song, people. Stop convincing yourselves it is.

- Without the vocal distortion, this one would be bearable but not great. With it, it's just another "experiment" gone awry. (and it's not much of an "experiement" either)

- The "ooh, ooh" moments are officially Chris's most irritating vocals of all time.

- UFO. First track I know nothing about yet.

- Feels like an early B-side, which is actually a welcome thing by this point. Short and sweet.

- It segues into Princess of China? Frick.

- Bold statement time - PoC is the second worst song Coldplay has ever done (ETIAW being the first worst).

- As I said last night, I'd hate this less if it were on a Rihanna album and were labeled "Rihanna (feat. Chris Martin)".

- And as also said last night, Rihanna isn't even the #1 reason this song is horrible. She might not even be in the Top 5 reasons this song is horrible.

- I have a shred of hope for Up in Flames. Please don't disappoint me.

- Weird echo effect on Chris's voice, but it's not as bad of an effect as on HLH or MM.

- That was...okay. Just because it's stripped down doesn't automatically make it good, so I think UATW achieved this a bit better. Not awful, though.

- Not much to say about these intermission pieces like AHT.

- 2 seconds into "Don't Let It Break Your Heart Because We Couldn't Possibly Come Up With a Worse Track Name Than This" and I can tell this is going to be divisive.

- Certainly less of an atrocity than Paradise or ETIAW but isn't anywhere near as convincing of a catchy pop song as Charlie Brown.

- Ending things with Up With the Birds

- Not a bad closer. Not too bombastic. It may not be Amsterdam, but Coldplay is now 5-for-5 with album closers. Shame I'm so down about the rest of the album.

I'll let this one settle in, along with a final score and more solid thoughts about songs in the latter half. But I'm comfortable saying this is my least favorite effort yet. Gonna go re-listen to the new My Brightest Diamond album now.

This album is a masterpiece and it is their best album ever! Yes, it is different from Parachutes, but in a very good way. I'm so proud for being a Coldplay fan!

Just curious, can you elaborate on why you thought it was a masterpiece? Yeah, it's different from "Parachutes", but so was "Viva la Vida". Also, how do you rank it in comparison to their past albums?

This album has me on the fence on whether I like it or not. I came into this album with high expectations. Especially since Chris Martin said it was going to be a masterpiece. I would say I lean more towards liking it than not. It seems almost like there is no structure. I compare it to picking up a strangers poetry book and reading page by page as if it was a novel. Some pages (songs ) on this album are amazing and others that come right after make no sense at all. I heard so many great things about POC and man I was so disappointed. To much Rhianna. If it were more Chris Martin and Rhianna put in something then cool, but it doesn't seem like a coldplay song at all. It's as if it were written for both Coldplay and Rhianna's album. Not cool, the reason why I didn't mind Jay-Z on the lost remix was because he played his part and had a cameo. Not the whole song. All in all its a great album in general (better than half the crap out now) but simply a good Coldplay album. I hope this is not their last album cause this is not the way I would want them to go out.