✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

I'm not going to vote...just yet. Because I think First Impressions are always inaccurate. Either you are too excited for something, and as time wears off you realize it's not as good. Or conversely, you are let down at first, because you had too high of expectations.

But I have to say, I find MX to be really disappointing on my first two listens. I just don't like the pacing of the songs (the random acoustic tracks that don't really add to the album, and clash with the overall musical style). The production is overdone and compressed. And well, I just don't find most of the songs to be all that impressive from a writing point of view.

I really hate being negative. I'm one of those people that loved Viva La Vida, and have praised the band for continuing to grow and evolve. But this feels like a misstep. Then again, I need to listen more. So that's why I'm holding off on scoring.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both songs totally ruin the album for me, I already deleted them on my itunes and the album sounds better that way. It's not like they forgot how to make good songs because there's some very good songs on MX so I can't understand why they released those shit songs.

Same.

Listened to it once. Better than expected a month ago, but worse than what I expected a year ago. 6/10.

Mylo Xyloto is definitly amazing. It's not their best, but still a great piece of art. Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown are the best songs from it. Paradise sounds great in the concept of the album, and the interludes fit perfectly into the concept of it; Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall sounds better with M.M.I.X. and A Hopeful Transmission is a beautiful remix of Mylo Xyloto. I don't like the over-production in some tunes, but the second half of the album reminds me of Parachutes! (U.F.O., Up With The Birds...). Amazing, 8/10.

I do hate leaks, this is the first I've listened to. I tell myself that it's OK because firstly of course I'll still buy it when it's in the shops, but more so because I live in a country that probably won't get it immediately anyway. It really does ruin the excitement of waiting for the release though.

Reading reviews while listening to the album.

HLH is brilliant. CB is a LITTLE overproduced, nothing like the minute long snippet from the sky advert :(

HLH is a robot. not even Chris.

PoC is really good IMO, sounds different. IDC if it's Rhianna, i judge the song.

UFO is awesome!

I give it a 7. The last part is absolutely incredible. It's wasn't as good as I would have expected 2 years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised. My favourite moment on the album is A Hopeful Transmission when it brings back the melody from the opening track, it's fantastic idea. The transition into DLIBYH is brilliant too. There's not a song I hate really, I've changed my opinion on ETIAW and Paradise because of the way they fit into the album, particularly ETIAW. So yeah overall I'm impressed.

I didn't really get a feel for the narrative until the 2nd half where I sort of worked out what was going on. Decent album. I'd rank it 3rd behind VLV and AROBTHH.

Mylo Xyloto is PERFECTION. It's fun, bold and weird and I LOOOOVE that 10/10

It's breathtaking and innovative. Tears of joy!!! I loooooove Moving To Mars but it doesn't fit it. Good call Coldplay!!!

Coldplay is unpredictable but still amazing.

My fav. after 4 listens: Paradise, Up In Flames, ETIAW, DLIBYH, Charlie Brown, UATW

just to react to some posts: Coldplayers didnt leak the album, ill-intentioned people did it. TRUE fans are not the one who dont listen to the album today, they are the ones who will BUY it on Oct 24th. I will.

Exactly, 95% of the ones listening to the leak are hardcore fans who will buy it and/or go the the live shows.

So fun to see everyone is happy about the comprehensive thing. Yeah the tracks fit lyrical. But it's just the ambience which is the difference now. Viva la Vida gave me so good atmosphere/ambience. This album not, so much differences. The only really fitting thing is the end. I'm already listening to tracks seperate.

Why is there so much hate for Major Minus? Guy's bass was amazing <3

You are not alone ahah I LOVE Major Minus! I think it kinda has a dark side which makes it really interesting (it has the same dark feeling as Yes in VLV to me, if that makes any sense lol ;))

After listening to the album a few times, I think it's really a very different (but great!) record.

I do agree with some of the opinions, in which the first part of the record is a little disjointed. It feels like a mishmash of songs just tacked together with no flow.

I'd like to give some constructive criticism though (It's just my opinion).. The first part of the album could've used some segues between the songs (like a transition, where the song fades/connects to each other) so that it would've been less jarring and more cohesive as if it were telling one whole story. The band did it for some of the songs (MX into HLH, MMIX into ETIAW, UIF all the way to UWTB) and, in my humble opinion, it worked brilliantly. In fact, the way the band integrated the tune from MX into UFO and AHT was a really great touch.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because the band are pitching it to be a concept album with a story to tell (that they made this record with the goal of getting people to listen to complete albums), and I personally feel that if the songs from the first half actually transitioned into each other it would have nailed that pitch perfectly and given a relatively different experience.

As for POC, it's a great song but I'm still not sold and kind of puzzled.. Was Rihanna really necessary? It felt a bit out of place hearing a female voice suddenly pop out from nowhere.

Despite that, I think I'm not going to let that ruin these songs for me. It's a stellar record, especially for the last few songs where they actually took time to develop the song instead of trying to make it as short as possible. (: