✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. I love VLV and some songs of their previous albums and, although I own all them, I haven't listened a lot of their first stuff. So my opinion parts from VLV sound, which I really love.

Well... talking about Mylo Xyloto, I think there's not a 10/10 song on it because it is overproduced. That doesn't mean it's a bad album - the opposite, it's really good. I really like Paradise (and I did since the first moment), Charlie Brown, UATW (the best one), ETIAW, UFO, DTIBYH and UWB. I don't like PoC, I think it's a cool song but I don't like the fact Rihanna is in it. Ok, it was ment to be a duet, blablabla, but I can't avoid it... f*ck Rihanna and her false recorded voice (100% autotune...).

I would have preferred Mylo Xyloto to be a fresher album. If it was rawer, it would have been better. Anyway I still have to discover the songs, their sounds, understand them... So this opinion can change :)

PS. Isn't it so so early to rate the album????? C'mon, months and months of work can't be judge in a day... Everything needs to grow, explode and then disappear or stay.

Listen up to Princess of China. Impression so far: An accoustic older man's heart wearing a youth-style windcoat. From pure listening habit - hard to feel cohesive; but if the Concept Album means, like life, has different phases and we are meant to be transformed or simply changed, maybe it takes more time to get connected to each piece in each phase or comprehend in a cohesive way - how it is transformed, a bit scattered on the surface or a set of reflections along the timeline? Prefer Us Against the World [reminding me When The Ships Come In from The Times They Are A-Changing of Bob Dylan].

You see innocence and a not-so bright flame in a pair of old experienced eyes, and you see a bit of lost or searching in that piece of innocence, past, present and future could be all at the moment. Just some inspirations from the Concept.

I think, as many interviews disclosed, Accoustic need to have legs [Will] to make vigorous movements - that's how I feel musically - traces on how Two coming into this One [Guy].

and btw,just because iam posting it in here,does this automatically mean i read sth in this thread ? dont think so but thank you !

Well don't come in here at all then. Posting blind criticism at other members isn't adding anything. Good for you for having self control, great! Am proud of you. But there's no need to spend your whole afternoon judging others. Lighten up, you have a great album to look forward to in a week :)

I just listened to it. It's a solid album, but I consider it their worst album. There's WAY too much production put into some of the songs, like "Hurts Like Heaven" (which was my favorite live track from the album besides "Charlie Brown"). "Princess of China" did impress me, but I still consider it decent (not enough Chris and not enough actual Coldplay with their instruments).

Despite all this, however, I was really digging "U.F.O" and the last 4 tracks on the album, especially "Don't Let It Break Your Heart". For the people who say that it's a masterpiece though, I just want to ask you why? What makes this better than "Parachutes" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head", which are considered their masterpiece albums and put up with some of the greatest albums of all time (AROBTTH was ranked in the Top 100)? I'm not attacking your opinions of MX, I just want to know what makes you think it's so "groundbreaking".

If all the songs where like U.F.O,Up In Flames,DLIBYH and UWTB I would enjoyed the listening a lot more,but it hasnt been as bad as expected.And for me,the whole album is a bit overproduced

For me,it would be a pretty good album without the synth effects and shits but,what I can do?

And Princess of China would have been one of my favorites of the album without Rihanna :/

After one complete listen the tracks which stood out for me were 'Charlie Brown', 'Princess of China', 'Up in Flames' and 'Don't let it break your heart'. I've (obviously) heard 'Us against the world' and 'Major Minus' before, but in the context of the album they seem different somehow, and I think they'll grow on me. The only track (of the "proper" ones anyway) that i'm slightly indifferent to at the moment is "U.F.O", but it may improve with repeat listens. The only disappointment for me is "Hurts like Heaven". The vocals at the start are wimpy and "thin" sounding, yes, it does build up slightly, but it lacks the immediate "punch" the live version seems to have. But apart from that, I think it's a pretty brilliant album.

After downloading the leak I'm considering not buying the album and even deleting most of this. Its boring, its overproduced, and there are only a few standout songs.

Charlie Brown

Major Minus

Up In Flames

Don't Let it Break Your Heart (only ok)

Up With the Birds

Other than those its actually too much. I don't mind electronics or a bit of fancy tech but with PoC its just so layered on that you can barely hear the song, and Rhianna is freaking pointless and sounds so out of place that you feel bad for her. She's like the hot girl who lost a bet and now is uncomfortable at the dance with the dorky kid in danger of being a perpetual virgin. I'm just frustrated with Coldplay right now. After 2 amazing albums and 2 good albums they should be able to deliver still, but now they're in the 'hit and miss' stage of writing and that freaks me out because that means their relevance is on the way out. Sorry boys, this may be the last album I listen to from you.

true coldplay fan? :lol:

:lol: So annoying when people say that. Come on, we're all 'true' fans, whatever that may mean.

I'm sorry Debs is disappointed, but we're simply not strong enough to resist a leak.

Maybe it would have been slightly different if there was one 'true' (:rolleyes:) release date to get excited for, but there's three, so...

On topic: the album needs some getting used to, but it's definitely... different. In a good way. The second half is stunning (apart from POC, which will hopefully grow on me). I love the flow, the short tracks add to that. It's much better than I expected, gave it an 8.

Edit: the ending of Charlie is beautiful. They take their time there, which is great.

I have my sad face on. :cry:

I know it was bound to happen and people may think I am being unrealistic but hey, as a cynic I'm embracing hope.

Obviously I completely understand that the majority of people would want to listen to the new album by any means possible even if that's not what any artist would want. But a leak? It's so sad that someone has decided to get it out there with only a week to go. Downloading it is er, also illegal but... with a mere 7 days to go, it's like ruining Christmas.

I was hoping if the inevitable happened, it wouldn't be being pushed, promoted and shared. I was hoping for solidarity to keep it under wraps for 7 days longer. I swear that I have never listened to a leaked song - unless it was to check on a Coldplay one for work - as I love feeling part of a band's plan. I like the excitement of release day. That's why I posted this link:

http://bit.ly/njXx1b

Just wanted to share.

x

I mean, I payed for the album, a special edition specifically. So nonetheless on money matters, I have given my share.. It’s just too hard to resist hearing it when you know others already have had the privilege of it. In a way it makes me feel left out. And I’ve been waiting for this album for so long, a few days early won’t really affect it’s impact for me, after 3 years of waiting, any day will be a great Christmas day.. That said when you're an established band, it must be a let down when your album leaks, so I'm sorry for the band.

I still think 'Paradise' and 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' are bloody brilliant. I can imagine that if they weren't used as singles, then some of the people that aren't keen on them, hearing them today for the first time, would love them.

I still think 'Paradise' and 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' are bloody brilliant. I can imagine that if they weren't used as singles, then some of the people that aren't keen on them, hearing them today for the first time, would love them.

:clap:

Same thought

both songs totally ruin the album for me, I already deleted them on my itunes and the album sounds better that way. It's not like they forgot how to make good songs because there's some very good songs on MX so I can't understand why they released those shit songs.

:lol: So annoying when people say that. Come on, we're all 'true' fans, whatever that may mean.

I'm sorry Debs is disappointed, but we're simply not strong enough to resist a leak.

Maybe it would have been slightly different if there was one 'true' (:rolleyes:) release date to get excited for, but there's three, so...

On topic: the album needs some getting used to, but it's definitely... different. In a good way. The second half is stunning (apart from POC, which will hopefully grow on me). I love the flow, the short tracks add to that. It's much better than I expected, gave it an 8.

Edit: the ending of Charlie is beautiful. They take their time there, which is great.

I think it's silly that anyone should even have to "resist a leak" anyways. And I agree it's ridiculous when someone says a person isn't a "true" fan when he does chose to listen to a leak.

Also, a lot of people who do listen to the leaks are probably intending on purchasing the album as well. (Just sort of adding to what you said)

I have my sad face on. :cry:

I know it was bound to happen and people may think I am being unrealistic but hey, as a cynic I'm embracing hope.

Obviously I completely understand that the majority of people would want to listen to the new album by any means possible even if that's not what any artist would want. But a leak? It's so sad that someone has decided to get it out there with only a week to go. Downloading it is er, also illegal but... with a mere 7 days to go, it's like ruining Christmas.

I was hoping if the inevitable happened, it wouldn't be being pushed, promoted and shared. I was hoping for solidarity to keep it under wraps for 7 days longer. I swear that I have never listened to a leaked song - unless it was to check on a Coldplay one for work - as I love feeling part of a band's plan. I like the excitement of release day. That's why I posted this link:

http://bit.ly/njXx1b

Just wanted to share.

x

Congrats on never listening to a leaked song. Doesn't mean people who have are bad.

I don't think that listening to leaked songs is bad, we're just curious I guess. Yes, it's illegal but have you all paid for all the music you have?

Actually I think I've always downloaded coldplay stuff before buying it, and I've spent more than 2000 dollars on them (and lots of time too). Being a student, that's quite a lot :P