✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that some people who gave it a 10 haven't even listened to it, that's my point. People will love anything that coldplay releases. A 10 means perfection and seriously, is this perfect, couldn't this be better in any single way?

I have my sad face on. :cry:

I know it was bound to happen and people may think I am being unrealistic but hey, as a cynic I'm embracing hope.

Obviously I completely understand that the majority of people would want to listen to the new album by any means possible even if that's not what any artist would want. But a leak? It's so sad that someone has decided to get it out there with only a week to go. Downloading it is er, also illegal but... with a mere 7 days to go, it's like ruining Christmas.

I was hoping if the inevitable happened, it wouldn't be being pushed, promoted and shared. I was hoping for solidarity to keep it under wraps for 7 days longer. I swear that I have never listened to a leaked song - unless it was to check on a Coldplay one for work - as I love feeling part of a band's plan. I like the excitement of release day. That's why I posted this link:

http://bit.ly/njXx1b

Just wanted to share.

x

I have my sad face on. :cry:

I know it was bound to happen and people may think I am being unrealistic but hey, as a cynic I'm embracing hope.

Obviously I completely understand that the majority of people would want to listen to the new album by any means possible even if that's not what any artist would want. But a leak? It's so sad that someone has decided to get it out there with only a week to go. Downloading it is er, also illegal but... with a mere 7 days to go, it's like ruining Christmas.

I was hoping if the inevitable happened, it wouldn't be being pushed, promoted and shared. I was hoping for solidarity to keep it under wraps for 7 days longer. I swear that I have never listened to a leaked song - unless it was to check on a Coldplay one for work - as I love feeling part of a band's plan. I like the excitement of release day. That's why I posted this link:

http://bit.ly/njXx1b

Just wanted to share.

x

THIS !!!

its really,really annoying that the most in here forgot the minority that wants to listen when it comes out,idiots!

I've listened to it twice so far... It was better than I expected after everything we've been put through (I was expecting it to be a waste of megabites tbh).

But it's not Coldplay's best work at all. Everyone that has termed this a masterpiece are probably the same type of person that would term 'The Resistance' as Muses' best album or something (oh I'm stereotyping, get me). I'd say that it is their worst album to date; but it's still significantly better than what a lot of artists are putting out these days.

I feel that in the context of the album Paradise and ETIAW do work; but they didn't work as stand-alones which makes me question who thought they should be. There aren't many tracks on there I think you can take out of context and make work... Apart from the obvious-next-single 'Princess of China' (or maybe Charlie Brown, but I doubt that will see the light of day as a single release).

They did something to completely break Hurts Like Heaven for me. Like they looked at it and went 'oh, not enough production' and shoved on some alterations in the voice. I think I would like HLH a lot more if I hadn't heard what it was live-- because now I feel like some of the shine has been taken off it. At least though, I know that when I see it live that those 'touches' won't be there.

Charlie Brown into Us Against The World sounded a little weird-- except the piano outro of Charlie Brown makes it work. And it's my favourite part of this album segment by far.

M.M.I.X = pointless 40 seconds. Not even a slightly interesting instrumental. Feels like filler-- or like you might need those seconds to compose yourself from going from something as lovely as UATW into ETIAW (the only similarities in those songs being the abbreviations containing similar letters).

Major Minus completely jars the flow of the album because I don't think that's an appropriate change over from ETIAW. I don't think anything is except maybe diving off a cliff (I sound like I'm writing for NME or something now). Still prefer the live version of it-- don't think I'm liable to change my mind anytime soon. And I would've preferred to see Moving to Mars in here instead even if that didn't flow either.

U.F.O is probably one of the best things to come off this album actually. Even if it is just an little piece. It's beautiful and I get goosebumps listening to it. It's gorgeous and once more there are glimmers of classic Coldplay in there that's actually sublime.

Ahhh Princess of China, something that worried me most about the album. You know what? It's not as terrible as I had been thinking it could turn out to be. I do feel like there is an excessive amount of Rihanna on it and not enough Coldplay (as I feel even the instruments get lost under the production on it). I don't think I would be half as affronted by it if it were released in some other context opposed to on a Coldplay album. I think this could've been on something like the MX equivalent of Prospekt's March. It would be much better if Chris sung the 'could've been a princess' segment or something. Just anything to dilute the fact that it's almost 3 whole minutes of Rihanna.

It's the final four tracks that actually make this album for me. I love every single one of them, they're beautiful and sublime. And they're more to what I had expected from this album. Despite the repetitive chorus in 'Up In Flames' I find it really endearing and I can see it being one of those 'let's have a moment to all get our phones out and Coldwave again'. I reckon it will be beautiful live.

I'm going to be a little pre-emptive of 'Don't Let It Break Your Heart' and say that I reckon in a few years it will be one of the only things from MX that will remain in a Coldplayer's heart (and still be on a setlist). I feel like it has that vibe.

And with Up With The Birds; the daftness of the title is so misleading. It's such a beautiful song to end on.

Overall if I could judge the album on the last segment I'd give it a 9/10 (maybe even a 10/10 because it's that stunning). But because you can't and there's more to the album than those tracks, the shine has been taken off... I'd say it was a 6.5/10. Solid, nice enough album... But not the masterpiece people have been calling it and there have been far better albums this year.

I LOVE IT! ON FIRST IMPRESSIONS, it's an 8...probably will go higher once I listen more. I thought it would be in the same vein as VLV, but it feels very different IMO which is good. This album makes me sad, in a good way. I guess that's how you sum Coldplay up.

So, now I listened also. And all I have to say: MIND-BLOWING! I would't have any problem to say that it is a shit album but I can clearly say that this is a masterpiece. Its up there with Viva and AROBTTH maybe also a bit better but its too soon to consider it.

Mastepiece! I love it! Thanks Coldplay, thanks Brian Eno (for the lovely vocal effects which are always in the right order and fitting the topic well).

You know what? This album kind of reminds me of the Prospekt's March EP and Christmas Lights with what style they were teasing on those respective releases. DLIBYH is like a cross between a song off X&Y (maybe a b-side like Thing's I Don't Understand but more cheery), Glass of Water and a louder version of The Escapist. :o