✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

I think "Follow Me", "Resistance", and "Starlight" are all the same blandish song.

Well, to me, Starlight sounds like it's a classic song, simple but memorable, and the other two are a bit more messy and incohesive.

It's Muse's Clocks. Coldplay have written other little blandish safe piano songs but Clocks stands out above all.

Eh...I really don't think "Starlight" is anywhere near the timeless classic "Clocks" is. And my attitude toward Coldplay has been nearly 100% negative the last few years, but "Clocks" is an instantly recognizable song worldwide regardless of your age, musical tastes, or exposure. It's a song that's firmly ingrained in most cultures. Whereas "Starlight" isn't very recognizable to those not regularly exposed to rock radio. Not to mention I'd argue that "Clocks" defines Coldplay's core sound very well, while "Starlight" isn't representative of the rest of Muse's material.

Eh...I really don't think "Starlight" is anywhere near the timeless classic "Clocks" is. And my attitude toward Coldplay has been nearly 100% negative the last few years, but "Clocks" is an instantly recognizable song worldwide regardless of your age, musical tastes, or exposure. It's a song that's firmly ingrained in most cultures. Whereas "Starlight" isn't very recognizable to those not regularly exposed to rock radio. Not to mention I'd argue that "Clocks" defines Coldplay's core sound very well, while "Starlight" isn't representative of the rest of Muse's material.

Nothing really to add to this other then my respect for a very intelligent and insightful comment. An increasingly rare thing on the internet these days...

I don't really agree with the comparison between Resistance and Starlight. The first is more about joining forces and actively fighting back an oppressive force, while the latter is more about some rescuer coming to save you and has a more contemplative nature.

I don't really agree with the comparison between Resistance and Starlight. The first is more about joining forces and actively fighting back an oppressive force, while the latter is more about some rescuer coming to save you and has a more contemplative nature.

I think they're referring to the overall sound of the song and its structure rather than interpreting the lyrics.

And I agree with Dee.

also I wish they'd drop Resistance from the setlist, it was one of my favorite Muse songs but then I saw it live and it was just. . . bleh.

:nod: Pretty much what Dee and Rafael said.

I think regardless of whether Starlight is representative of Muse's other material, it's still one of their biggest hits and Resistance was a (poor) attempt to recreate it. Muse have never been as big as Coldplay (internationally anyway) so Clocks being more recognizable worldwide than Starlight has nothing to do with the songs themselves IMO.

Anyways in other news, they played Bliss tonight in Pesaro, yay. Also they apparently sounchecked Darkshines the other night.

So, anyone else here this morning waiting for the presale to start to try and get tickets for the newly announced European stadium tour dates?

EDIT: Well that was surprisingly easy! Only had to wait in the queue for about a minute and got 2 GA tickets for the Sat night at Emirates Stadium pretty much straight away, no problems at all! Sooo happy!! :D

^ Resistance and Starlight works for me a bit like Speed Of Sound and Clocks, I like them all but one is a classic, the other just an reproduction.

Just like "Invincible" and "Guiding Light" and "Explorers" or the next 6 albums with a song with the same choral progression! :laugh3:

Woah just arrived back to UK from Budapest,Hungary. It was my eight Muse gig in total,fourth this year. Ive to say the crowd was nowhere near the english crowds,but on the other hand I was pretty sure early queuing would guarantee us a front row,so I made a big flag for Chris which he gladly accepted before Hysteria after he saw what was on it :) In the end I was awarded with the harmonica from Knights of Cydonia obviously. One of the best moments of my life. You can find a picture in the pictures thread.