✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ColdplayFilm - MX Live DVD

the_escapist

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain me the difference between Stereo sound, DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital that are available to choose in the set up menu?

Sure, in order preference you want:

1.) DTS 5.1 or sometimes called DTS-HD Master is lossless audio format that carries bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s on Blu-ray. If your listening on Blu-ray and your home theater receiver supports it, this is the way to go!

2.) Dolby Digital 5.1 would be your second choice *if* your system supports it. Most systems do since 2001. It is not as good as DTS-HS, IMO, because it is lossy and it rolls off frequencies above 14Khz. It does deliver a more pure surround sound than PL II or Neo 6, which are derived from stereo, but it takes a back seat to the pure musical spectrum that DT-HD delivers.

3.) This would be your least desirable option. It's universal, but it's also more one dimensional sounding.

This film comes alive in DTS-HD, so my recommendation is to play it back in that mode if your system supports it. Your receiver will display "DTS-HD" or "DTS-HD MSTR" if it supports it when you've selected it. You may have to change your Blu-ray player's audio stream setting from "PCM" or "LPCM" to "Bitstream" to get your receiver to recognize the DTS-HD signal though. I know I did on my Playstation 3, which I use as a Blu-ray player mostly.

Good luck and I'd love to read a report after you've experimented with this :)

^ Thank you so much! I see my (well, technically my dad's so I don't know a thing about it) device has a DTS logo on it, but does it automatically support DTS-HD? It's about 10 years old...

I tried to plug things up today but the two speakers in the back didn't respond until I messed with some buttons on the amplifier :uhoh:

I'll definitely play around more on Friday when there's no mum around to bother :rolleyes:

EDIT: I read up and I think my amp doesn't do DTS-HD :sad: Well, I'll have to settle with Dolby Digital, which isn't too bad either, I guess.

^ Thank you so much! I see my (well, technically my dad's so I don't know a thing about it) device has a DTS logo on it, but does it automatically support DTS-HD? It's about 10 years old...

I tried to plug things up today but the two speakers in the back didn't respond until I messed with some buttons on the amplifier :uhoh:

I'll definitely play around more on Friday when there's no mum around to bother :rolleyes:

EDIT: I read up and I think my amp doesn't do DTS-HD :sad: Well, I'll have to settle with Dolby Digital, which isn't too bad either, I guess.

Hmmm... in this case (your receiver showing the DTS logo), your receiver might be able to do DTS, but not DTS-HD. If that's true, you'd still be better off using DTS over Dolby Digital. I'm not at home right now, so I can't check the menu on the 2012 Live Blu-ray. Does it call the menu selection "DTS-HD" or "DTS 5.1" in the set up menu? Try selecting whatever the DTS selection option is called on the Coldplay Live 2012 disc, and then see if your receiver displays "DTS" in its LED display, or illuminates the DTS indicator light (not sure how your receiver might show its current playback mode). I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be DTS-HD for you to reap the benefits of its forerunner - DTS.

If you've selected 'DTS-HD' (or however they list the DTS option) in the Coldplay Live 2012 menu, and you get either no sound, or it reverts to stereo, direct stereo, or something like that, you'll know for sure that your receiver won't support DTS, or at least the DTS codec offered on the Coldplay Live 2012 disc.

I will have mine tomorrow, :bliss: I have to take it to my post office.

It's was not the Blu-ray, I received my Coldplay Calendar :wacky:

i feel like most if not all of the people left waiting now are from the US :P

No, still nothing in Canada too.

anyone else in canada not get theirs cause I haven't got mine yet :@

:no: I haven't got mine yet too : (

I live in California - about as far as you can get from the UK in the US (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). Still no dvd/cd/iitho or the calendar that was supposed to ship mid-October. There should be no excuse for the calendar delay - a friend once sent me a postcard from London on a Thursday, and I received it on Tuesday. Last month, I ordered goalkeeper gloves for my daughter from a UK soccer store and received them in less than a week. Why the delays of over a month? I've learned to just be patient with Coldplay shop but it is very frustrating.

Received mine DVD last week and my Lithograph arrived today, a little bit damaged :( I pre-ordered mine on the day the DVD was available for pre-order and I have number 5926 / 6000..... The DVD is amazing btw, so is the lithograph!

I emailed Merchdirect. Their respond :

«If we don't see any kind of update by tomorrow, we can follow up with Post Club USA. We have had delays in terms of updates with PCU and Canada Post, but we rarely lose a package headed for Canada. 3 weeks from the date of shipment is the longest it has ever taken for delivery with this service.

Thank you»

Well, it's so long to wait the Blu-ray : (, but they respond quickly to the message

Only #3480 is for me. PrincessOfChina is on her way to pick up #3842 and I'll give #3481 to a friend.

Do you still think I'm greedy now?

I never thought you were greedy really! I'm the one whose username implies tubbyness...