✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Viva La Vida vs. Ghost Stories

Jdckcom

Here we go again:

Round 1:

Always In My Head (Thought life in technicolour 2 would trump it)

Round 2:

Cemeteries of London

Round 3:

Lost!

Round 4:

Ink

Round 5:

Lovers In Japan

Round 6:

Viva La Vida

Round 7:

Violet Hill

Round 8:

Strawberry Swing

Round 9:

Cant decide yet I do love death and all his friends, this was tougher than I though after re listening to death after a while of not listening to it. O is beautiful but death and all his friends is much more significant to me.

I imagine this may change but as of now this is my views.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very surprised at how most people consider Life In Technicolor better than Always In My Head. AIMH is vastly superior in every way.

Find it way too early to start comparing two very different albums but I I'm pretty certain that the opener and closer on GS trumps that of Viva. In fact in the list of album closers, only Amsterdam challenges O (Fly On). I think O might just be my favourite ever Coldplay track, beating Amsterdam. I've been a Coldplay fan for 12 years and four albums later it seems they've finally unearthed that precious second diamond track!

:nod:

It absolutely does. And it destroys Life In Technicolor II, which despite being a very good song, doesn't match the profoundness or deftness that Always In My Head has. In fact Viva La Vida as an album does not match the profoundness or deftness of Ghost Stories. That's not a criticism, just an observation on two very different albums.

I am in agreement with you completely. I didn't find Viva to be a massive impact on me. It's not a bad album by any means, but I don't see how GS can't compete with it. For whatever it's worth, I think GS is already miles ahead of MX, but that will bring this discussion vastly off topic lol. This is a really good album.

Round 1 - Always In My Head

Round 2 - Cemeteries Of London

Round 3 - Lost!

Round 4 - 42

Round 5 - Lovers in Japan + Midnight

Round 6 - Viva la Vida

Round 7 - Violet Hill

Round 8 - Strawberry Swing

Round 9 - O + Death and all His Friends / Escapist

Round 1 - Always In My Head

Round 2 - Cemeteries of London

Round 3 - Don't like either really but will have to be Magic

Round 4 - Ink

Round 5 - True love

Round 6 - Viva La Vida

Round 7 - Violet Hill

Round 8 - Strawberry Swing

Round 9 - O

Viva is overrated I think has some weak tracks on it swell as great ones

why Viva la Vida ?

unless you don't want Ghost stories to get destroyed by A Rush Blood to The Head :D

1- Always in My Head ( Life In Technicolor ii is The Real winner :D )

2- Cemeteries of London

3- Magic

4- Ink .. by far

5- Lovers In Japan by faaaaaaar :D

6- Viva La Vida ( although love A Sky Full of Stars )

7- Violet Hill

8- Strawberry Swing

9- O

Results:

GS: 4

VLV: 5

Round 1: Always In My Head

Round 2: Cemeteries of London

Round 3: Magic

Round 4: 42

Round 5: Lovers In Japan

Round 6: Viva La Vida

Round 7: Violet Hill (NO contest)

Round 8: Oceans

Round 9: Death And All His Friends

GS: 3

VLV: 6

Where are Chinese Sleep Chant or LiTii in all of this? Two of my favourite Viva era tracks, would definitely vote for them in their respective rounds...

HAHAH! This is so easy man

I started playing PIANO Thanks to Clocks when Viva La Vida album came out. Viva la vida is just a piece of perfection to play on piano, something I find hard with Ghost Stories because to transmit the same feelings Ghost Stories makes us feel you must hear it with the sounds the band use, but with Viva La Vida, their songs are easy just to play and have same feeling as when you hear the album. Whatever, here's my round up:

1: Life In Technicolour

2:Cemeteries of London

3:Lost!

4:42

5 Lovers In Japan

6 Viva La Vida

7 Violet Hill

8 Strawberry Swing

9 Death And All His Friends

Very surprised at how most people consider Life In Technicolor better than Always In My Head. AIMH is vastly superior in every way.

Find it way too early to start comparing two very different albums but I I'm pretty certain that the opener and closer on GS trumps that of Viva. In fact in the list of album closers, only Amsterdam challenges O (Fly On). I think O might just be my favourite ever Coldplay track, beating Amsterdam. I've been a Coldplay fan for 12 years and four albums later it seems they've finally unearthed that precious second diamond track!

O would beat amsterdam if it had a drum/electric guitar part at the end i think. But Amsterdam remains my favorite.

Round 1:

Life In Technicolour

Round 2:

Cemeteries of London

Round 3:

Magic

Round 4:

Round 5:

Lovers In Japan

Round 6:

Viva La Vida

Round 7:

Midnight

Round 8:

Oceans

Round 9:

Death And All His Friends

:dozey:

nothing will top VLV for me overall. I genuinely think it's one of the best albums ever.

i personally think that you cant compare both albumscause they have diferent concepts viva is more single oriented. ghost stories is a whole round album. Anyways, i think that viva is the best coldplay album because you never get bored with it. GS is the second for me both are great albums Always in my head, True love, ink and O are real gems.

Round 2: Another's Arms

Round 4: Ink

Round 6: Viva la Vida

Round 7: Midnight

Round 8: Strawberry Swing

Round 9: O

GS: 6 VLVODAAHF: 3

GS wins.

Find it way too early to start comparing two very different albums but I I'm pretty certain that the opener and closer on GS trumps that of Viva.

Well, to me, LIT and DAAHF are better than AIMH and O (even if I really like O).

I started listening to Coldplay when X&Y came out. I became a fan really quickly. Then, I saw Coldplay live for the first time during the Viva tour. It was just so good, everything was perfect! It was just pure good rock, you know? Maybe it's a sentimental attachment. :p

Isn't it a little early for a thread like this? I mean, you guys have had 6 years for Viva to sink in. Six years to appreciate it, accumulate memories and experiences with it and yet somehow we think it's perfectly reasonable to tear apart this brand new album that has no chance of even competing with their old stuff because of the time it had to connect with you.

Stop comparing these vastly different albums and sit back and enjoy the PRESENT. Sit down and listen to ghost stories front to back the way it was meant to be heard, and appreciate the music for what it achieves in the dimension which it is trying to achieve that in-- which is completely different from viva la Vida or any of their other LPs for that matter.

You're comparing apples and oranges here guys (not to mention that the apple, ghost stories, is hardly even ripe yet, which is quite unfair for that already unfair comparison, wouldn't you agree)?

Round 1:

Always In My Head

Round 2:

Another's Arms

Round 3:

Magic

Round 4:

Ink

Round 5:

True Love

Round 6:

Viva La Vida

Round 7:

Violet Hill

Round 8:

Strawberry Swing

Round 9:

O

VLVODAAHF: 3 GS: 6

GS won...

1 - Always In My Head

2 - Cemeteries Of London

3 - Lost!

4 - 42 (This is a REALLY hard one because I really love Ink)

5 - Lovers In Japan (Another reeeeally hard one...I love them both)

6 - A Sky Full Of Stars

7 - Midnight

8 - Strawberry Swing (Oceans is great but SS is my jam)

9 - O (Wow, Jdckcom, these were pretty good matchups...LOVE DAAHF, one of my favs, but O just wows me every listen)

Overall, Ghost Stories is arguably my favourite album. I do like it better than VLVADAAHF.

When I did this, I was surprised that I chose every VLV song over whatever GS had to offer.

For me, the Viva era was just so lush and rich. It was a time when I really felt that coldplay was a band working together extremely well. Their music was experimental and interesting but did not deviate from the sound of coldplay. It was still uniquely coldplay but in a different way than what AROBTTH and Parachutes had offered. I think AROBTTH is my favorite coldplay album but the VLV album is a very close second. I can listen to both of those albums without wanting to skip a song because each track offers a different experience that contributes to the whole theme of the album.

Maybe I have not listened to GS enough yet or I will have to let i grow on me, but it feels like a very Chris centered album. This may be because we know that he and Gwyneth split but it feels like there was less involvement or input from the others in the band. I know that GS was supposed to be a more stripped down album but it doesn't seem to have the same richness or fulfilling sound that Parachutes had. In general, I am a bit disappointed in the new album but it does have its gems (O and True Love, TL is the most interesting and exciting track to me).

For me, the Viva era was just so lush and rich. It was a time when I really felt that coldplay was a band working together extremely well. Their music was experimental and interesting but did not deviate from the sound of coldplay. It was still uniquely coldplay but in a different way than what AROBTTH and Parachutes had offered. .

I completely agree with you on this. They experimented so much more during that time, probably because of Brian Eno. Not to mention there were tonnes of unreleased tracks like Spanish Rain, Famous Old Painters, etc. Way more versatile in my opinion. But nevertheless, after several replays of GH, here's my take:

Round 1:

Life In Technicolour (I think the polyphonic music here wins it for me. No other song out there sounds like LiT. Musical creativity wins.)

Round 2:

Cemeteries of London (Another's Arms is my least favourite in the album. Not that I dislike it!)

Round 3:

Magic (My love for Magic has grown and it out passed my admiration for Lost!. Would probably be a tie if we were talking about Lost?)

Round 4:

42 (No match here. 42 is one of the most under appreciated tracks and it deserves more recognition!)

Round 5:

Lovers In Japan (Similar elements to LiT, very colourful tones. Beats Ink by miles)

Round 6:

Viva La Vida (I like EDM, but I can hear Jerusalem Bells a'ringing :D)

Round 7:

Violet Hill (This one's tough. I like Midnight a lot but I have always loved Violet Hill and it's rock elements. VH wins this round)

Round 8:

Strawberry Swing (Another close one, because Oceans is my most favourite track on the album. SS just gives this feeling of hope and happiness, and that beats the sorrowful Oceans tune for me)

Round 9:

Death And All His Friends (Very difficult choice. I admire the lyrics and intro to O, however I must go for DAAHF. It personally just sounds more complete and those off beat rhythms... No other band does that.)

Yes, I am a huge VLV fan :D But I do hope Ghost Stories grows on me more!

Round 4:42

Round 7: Violet Hill

Round 9: Death And All His Friends

2 for GS. rest is for Viva.

Round 4: Ink (very very difficult)

Round 7: Violet Hill

Round 9: IMPOSSIBLE A TIE

Overall score:

VLVODAAHF: 6

Ghost Stories: 4

Round 1: Life In Technicolor vs. Always In My Head

Round 2: Cemetries Of London vs. Magic

Round 3: Lost! vs. Ink

Round 4: 42 vs. True Love

Round 5: Lovers In Japan vs. Midnight

Round 6: Reign of Love vs. Another's Arms

Round 7: Yes vs. Oceans

Round 8: Chinese Sleep Chant vs. A Sky Full of Stars

Round 9: Viva La Vida vs. Fly On (SUPER Hard One)

Round 10: Violet Hill vs. O

Round 11: Strawberry Swing vs. All Your Friends

Round 12: Death And All His Friends vs. Ghost Story

Round 13: The Escapist vs. O (Reprise)

Viva La Vida: 7

GS: 6