✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this it was the first album i ever connected with and it was cool as fuck. room on fire was a good follow up, a few tracks let it down but some nifty bits in there and it was different from the first and not too poppy. third album had three good songs which are easily milked.

i just can't see them getting back to anything like 'hard to explain'. especially after hearing the travesty which was julians solo album. i'll definitely be listening though. they haven't tipped as far away as kings of leon.

• 1 month later...

I'm sneaking online just to say that The Strokes blew my fucking mind last night :bomb: It felt like Beatlemania, I never felt anything like that in my life. I got to about the 2nd row and then by the end of the night probably about 8 people from the barrier. The crowd was unlike anything I ever imagined! Nick and Albert seriously are 2 of the greatest guitar players ever, I just can't believe how good they were and they haven't toured and really played together in years... and still blowing you mind! :dead:

Anyway, this isn't my video, I'll upload those later... but this video is really good quality :D

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I'm sneaking online just to say that The Strokes blew my fucking mind last night :bomb: It felt like Beatlemania, I never felt anything like that in my life. I got to about the 2nd row and then by the end of the night probably about 8 people from the barrier. The crowd was unlike anything I ever imagined! Nick and Albert seriously are 2 of the greatest guitar players ever, I just can't believe how good they were and they haven't toured and really played together in years... and still blowing you mind! :dead:

Anyway, this isn't my video, I'll upload those later... but this video is really good quality :D

Woo!! That's great!!

Looking forward to seeing your vids!

I saw them only a week ago now :wacky:

I too will upload pics/vid as soon as my computer decides to work properly :dozey:

:D

Some of my shitty shitttttty pictures are up on my flickr.... if anyone cares to have a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37119112@N08/

I was entirely too moshed and struggling for my dear life in that crowd to get any decent footage. I'm looking at some of my videos right now and omg :lol: they are so horrific, it looks like I was in some sort of battle scene, all these fans killing each other to get an inch closer.

I just have to say how intense this audience was for a minute. You wouldn't even believe it.

It sort of sucked since me and my friend, Jackie (she is on here too, she might post her stuff on here too later :nice:) waited, standing in the blistering sun for like 7 hours by the stage. Then about 1/3 of the way through the set came these complete asshole butch guys, about 7 of them. They were fat, shirtless, hairy, and so fucking sweating I don't even know. They were drunk off their asses and were literally stomping over ppl to get to the front. They some how wedged themselves into where me and Jackie were and pushed us back a few ppl. The one dude kept taking his elbow and slamming it down on my head to get me to move. I started crying and begging someone to get a security guy to pull them out of the pit. It was horrendous. Then the dude knocked my glasses off and I don't even know how I caught them before they fell to the ground. I would of been so screwed if that had happened. It was like that for about 20 min. of the set. It pissed me off to no end. Here I waited for hours to be that close and then these dicks pushed their way to the front and thought they could just beat up everyone to get close. Also during that 20 min. the same guys were pushing so hard and pushing me down that my tube top dress completely came off of me and was gathered at my waist. And so did my strapless bra :stunned: Not even joking, I couldn't reach my hand down for the life of me to pull my bra back up. So yah, I was half nekkid for about 5 min. thankfully everyone was so crunched that I wasn't really exposed. BUT for about 3 sec. those asshole dudes did push me up or something near the side barrier and so probably the whole front of the audience saw my boobs then, and probably Nick Valensi too since he was looking down at our side of the audience then :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed: UGHHHH

The security guys eventually did see that those assholes were totally being abusive to ppl and pulled them out. Only fuck my life, when they pulled the one dude out my face was stuck where they were trying to pull him out and his entire gross, sweaty, hairy body went sliding across my face while they pulled him out :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: I was also crying then. :bigcry:

when they finally pulled those assholes out, the rest of the section almost fell backwards. no joke we were all laying down on top of each other practically and someone got caught under everyone's feet. All of the security guys came running over to help us, it was like the Lion King during the part of the stampede or something :lol:

That thing wasn't even a crowd, it was like a monster. Jackie has stories too, we both basically just got beaten up for those 20 min. Those 20 min. of the set you couldn't even enjoy thanks to the idiots. You couldn't even move and get away from them if you tried, you couldn't see anything. My entire ribcage, and hip bones are completely bruised, deep purple and green. My head has huge lumps all over it thanks to the dickhead slamming his elbow down on it numerous times. I'm surprised one of my ribs didn't break, I could barely breath during some of it. It got much better once those assholes got pulled out and then i could finally pull up my clothes!! God, never in my life did I imagine the crowd to be like that.

That's why me and Jackie were like, this is like Beatlemania only more abusive :lol: I talked to some ppl who were even in the middle of the crowd, pretty far back and they said the crowd was surging all the way back there.

But was it all worth it to be that close to The Strokes. I would say yes, I wear my battle wounds proudly :smug: lol

No one would ever go for it, but I've always felt that festivals should have like, a drinking section, and you can only drink there. Though I'm not sure how that would even work. It probably wouldn't.....so never mind.

That thing wasn't even a crowd, it was like a monster. Jackie has stories too, we both basically just got beaten up for those 20 min. Those 20 min. of the set you couldn't even enjoy thanks to the idiots. You couldn't even move and get away from them if you tried, you couldn't see anything. My entire ribcage, and hip bones are completely bruised, deep purple and green. My head has huge lumps all over it thanks to the dickhead slamming his elbow down on it numerous times. I'm surprised one of my ribs didn't break, I could barely breath during some of it. It got much better once those assholes got pulled out and then i could finally pull up my clothes!! God, never in my life did I imagine the crowd to be like that.

That's why me and Jackie were like, this is like Beatlemania only more abusive :lol: I talked to some ppl who were even in the middle of the crowd, pretty far back and they said the crowd was surging all the way back there.

But was it all worth it to be that close to The Strokes. I would say yes, I wear my battle wounds proudly :smug: lol

so what was the rest of the set like? did the crowd calm down a little? did the band encourage people to behave? the strokes did a big fest here about a week ago and i heard that they were regularly telling everyone to look after each other.

i had a similar experience in my attempt to get close to Muse at a festival down here. it was 40 degrees that day so the arseholes ran out of energy pretty quickly so things calmed down after a bit. i wore a white shirt that day, even after about 7 washes it still has a murky grey colour on it from all the sweaty bodies it rubbed against that day lol. i've put that shirt aside forever.

No one would ever go for it, but I've always felt that festivals should have like, a drinking section, and you can only drink there. Though I'm not sure how that would even work. It probably wouldn't.....so never mind.

It doesn't matter, if there is alcohol at a festival there will be drunks. It doesn't matter if they're in their own section or not, they'll leave and go into monster mode.

so what was the rest of the set like? did the crowd calm down a little? did the band encourage people to behave? the strokes did a big fest here about a week ago and i heard that they were regularly telling everyone to look after each other.

Hi! I'm Jackie.

After they took some of the crazy people out, it got better. No one really calmed down though. And the band didn't say anything! This guy next to me tried to save me from some of the pushing, but Lizzy and I were too small to push those big, sweaty guys!

AMAZING show. I posted the pictures on my tumblr: http://geekchic0017.tumblr.com/

I just throw inconspicuous punches at them. Or start to jump up and down while throwing my weight backwards at them to push away. Or just act stubborn and don't move. Or "reason" with them. Some drunks the whole respect talk goes a long way.

once a girl wanted to go in front of me along the rail to get to her friends.

after harrassing her for a bit (i.e. waving a flag and jumping up and down so she couldn't get by) i told her she could but that she had to go fast.

so i basically hugged her and chucked her into her friends.

very satisfying :P

:laugh3: Jackie tried pinching the daylights out of one of them and her fingers just slipped off, cus he was so sweaty and greasy hahahahahahh

You really couldn't hear anything so no reason to try and talk them out of it. You honestly couldn't move a muscle in that crowd.

once a girl wanted to go in front of me along the rail to get to her friends.

after harrassing her for a bit (i.e. waving a flag and jumping up and down so she couldn't get by) i told her she could but that she had to go fast.

so i basically hugged her and chucked her into her friends.

very satisfying :P

you left out the most important thing. was she hot?

here is an excerpt from a review of The Strokes' gig in sydney on the 29th of july

i dont know about the rest of you but ive never been able to quite justify being a Strokes fan. if someones asks me what i love about Spoon, The Kinks, or Neko Case i can pick out the qualities that appeal to me talk about what songs hold special meanings. But despite having listened to this band for nigh on a decade, over and over, until i know ever crack in Casablancas voice and every downstroked riff. I cant come up with a better explanation for it than the fact that they were just fucking cool. they were New York City they were sunglasses at night, they were hitting puberty in rehab and casually handing an infant century its rock sound like it was a bag of piss-and-vinegar crisps. Rock for rock's sake.

thats exactly how i feel about the band, exactly what i wrote in my length top 20 albums of the decade post in which Is This It came in at no.6 for me. i find it so hard to justify why i like them so much other than, they are effing awesome!!

with all this strokes talk and in honour of lizzy and jackies sacrifice and bloodshed in the name of rock n roll. i'll listen to Is This It and Room On Fire back to back tonight :)

i had a similar experience in my attempt to get close to Muse at a festival down here. it was 40 degrees that day so the arseholes ran out of energy pretty quickly so things calmed down after a bit. i wore a white shirt that day, even after about 7 washes it still has a murky grey colour on it from all the sweaty bodies it rubbed against that day lol. i've put that shirt aside forever.

Did the band encourage ppl to behave? :lol:

N'aww not really. I think I remember Jules and Nick and Nikolai sort of looking at our side though a few times like wtf. And I think Jules said around that time, "Wow, whatta crowd" :lol: Fab was probably too far back to see the abuse and Albert was on the other side of the stage in his own in his own lil happy world rockin' out! haha Bless 'em!

But yah the rest of the gig... sorry about that I sort of got ahead of myself ranting about the awful moshing...

They were a bit late getting on stage and everyone started chanting, “STROKES STROKES STROKES STROKES, WE WANT STROKES!” and then later right before they came on, since Lady Gaga was already playing across the park on the other main stage, the crowd started chanting, “FUCK LADY GAGA, FUCK LADY GAGA!” hahaha and wouldn’t you know it, they came out then. Albert was the first on stage and he kind of just pounced on stage from the wing, it was hilarious and went to his guitar.

They all came out looking like Greek gods or something, it was just beyond epic! I pretty much had myself a fangirl orgasm just looking at Nick when he came out and picked up his guitar. :facepalm: (sorry there WILL be fangirling in this review) They opened with New York City Cops.

The Strokes setlist

1. New York City Cops

2. The Modern Age

3. Hard to Explain

4. What Ever Happened

5. You Only Live Once

6. Soma

7. Is This It

8. Vision of Division

9. I Can’t Win

10. Reptilia

11. Last Nite

12. Juicebox

13. Someday

14. Under Control

15. Heart in a Cage

16. Take It or Leave It

My personal favorites were The Modern Age and Heart in a Cage, both which I got videos of and I put on youtube. The Modern Age especially since it’s my favorite song of theirs and Nick Valensi fucking tears it up during his solo. Seriously there is a reason why Nick and Albert are considered two of the best guitarists of our generation. They are both like lightning on stage. They all played so wonderful together. In all honesty they have to be the most talented band I’ve ever seen live. For them to not have played together in years and then to just command a massive festival like that without any flaws, it was just unbelievable. They were just so cool, Jules in his sunglasses, not breaking a sweat or taking off his leather jacket. Nick is the dude of dudeness, just effortless badass and all sorts of sex appeal I don’t even know! Nikolai was just such a bamf especially during his awesome bass parts in Juicebox. Albert too, I love him like 10000x more than I did before because he was just off to the side doing his thing smiling and laughing the entire time. He definitely looked like he was having the time of his life. And Fab too! Sadly he was the hardest to see since he was in the back with the drums obviously. But when the spotlight did hit his drum kit, fuck he was tearin’ it up like I don’t even know.

The only downsides to the show was that I was entirely too moshed and struggling for my dear life in that crowd to get any decent footage. I’m looking at some of my videos right now and omg they are so horrific, it looks like I was in some sort of battle scene, all these fans killing each other to get an inch closer!

But my videos are up on my youtube channel if anyone cares to have a look. You've been warned lol

here is an excerpt from a review of The Strokes' gig in sydney on the 29th of july

thats exactly how i feel about the band, exactly what i wrote in my length top 20 albums of the decade post in which Is This It came in at no.6 for me. i find it so hard to justify why i like them so much other than, they are effing awesome!!

with all this strokes talk and in honour of lizzy and jackies sacrifice and bloodshed in the name of rock n roll. i'll listen to Is This It and Room On Fire back to back tonight :)

exactly. Is This It? is ALWAYS in my top albums too! perfect.