✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

I am excited about the new Strokes album, but I can't help but get disappointed when I think about them. It just seems like they've lost so much steam over the years when they started out with so much potential. I really hope this next album is great.

I feel the same. I really don't know what to expect, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ It could be. You Only Live Once is probably my favorite Strokes song, though. They were stupid for not releasing that as the first single.

ROF has songs that are equally as strong as Is This It?, however, I just feel like it doesn't have the same continuity and is more spotty. That's quibbling over details. I really like that album.

I saw them twice on their First Impressions tour, and they were fantastic live. It just seems like with a little bit more effort and ambition, they could have been a lot bigger...and I'm not just talking about in a commercial sense. They just kind of drifted about and fell off everyones radar, and that was even before the hiatus.

^ It could be. You Only Live Once is probably my favorite Strokes song, though. They were stupid for not releasing that as the first single.

ROF has songs that are equally as strong as Is This It?, however, I just feel like it doesn't have the same continuity and is more spotty. That's quibbling over details. I really like that album.

I saw them twice on their First Impressions tour, and they were fantastic live. It just seems like with a little bit more effort and ambition, they could have been a lot bigger...and I'm not just talking about in a commercial sense. They just kind of drifted about and fell off everyones radar, and that was even before the hiatus.

Oh yeah I know what you mean. They didn't really fill their potential. A lot of it had to do with Julian's issues, I think.

Yeah the ITI v.s. ROF thing is debatable. Personally I like ITI better too.

The one thing I did really like about First impressions is that Julian stopped using the vocal effects. That's not to say I dislike them on the first two records; I wouldn't want it any other way. But it was nice to go in a different direction.

The thing about the Strokes is you rarely find bands that have all the pieces, and when you do, you hate to see them not maximize their potential. I remember the music industry was pretty much putting out post-alternative rock (i.e. watered down alternative rock) until the Strokes and White Stripes made it interesting again. Both bands, unfortunately, have kind of veered off course over the years. It's a shame when you see much lesser bands build more of a following. I am a fan of the Killers, but i don't think those guys are nearly as good as the Strokes. Nevertheless, those guys are ambitious and have built a hell of a name for themselves. It wasn't luck. For the Strokes, you can't help but think about what could have been. I'm optimistic and hopeful that the next album puts them back on the right track.

The one thing I did really like about First impressions is that Julian stopped using the vocal effects. That's not to say I dislike them on the first two records; I wouldn't want it any other way. But it was nice to go in a different direction.

The thing about the Strokes is you rarely find bands that have all the pieces, and when you do, you hate to see them not maximize their potential. I remember the music industry was pretty much putting out post-alternative rock (i.e. watered down alternative rock) until the Strokes and White Stripes made it interesting again. Both bands, unfortunately, have kind of veered off course over the years. It's a shame when you see much lesser bands build more of a following. I am a fan of the Killers, but i don't think those guys are nearly as good as the Strokes. Nevertheless, those guys are ambitious and have built a hell of a name for themselves. It wasn't luck. For the Strokes, you can't help but think about what could have been. I'm optimistic and hopeful that the next album puts them back on the right track.

^Everything about this post :thumbsup:

However, with The Strokes, even though they did fall off the horse so to speak with the five-year hiatus, I don't think there's much that they can't still achieve if they want it bad enough and work hard enough, which is why I'm especially excited for the upcoming album. Everything they've released so far is top-notch, in my opinion, and I don't think I can honestly say that about anyone else I listen to, and I think that holds great promise for the rest of their career if they can keep the personal sides of things in check.

^ I agree it's not too late. It really depends on how good the next record is and how hard they push. It wouldn't hurt them to get some good marketing either. You Only Live Once was clearly the best cross over song on First Impressions. It was both accessible and artistic. However, by the time they got around to releasing it as a single, the album had already lost momentum. A strong single often gets people to go buy the album at which time they discover other good songs. Even though First Impressions is my least favorite Strokes album, it deserved a better fate.

I kind of forget that FIOE wasn't received well, in comparison to the others. I love it so much that I just forget it's not "supposed" to be as good, but I guess they probably should have shortened it by one or two songs (I'm not that hot on 15 Minutes or Killing Lies) to improve upon it as a whole album. And I think YOLO should have been the first single as opposed to the last to kick things off a bit. I also feel like releasing Razorblade as a single would have helped in some ways.

Agree that I think this album will determine a lot for them, but I have really high hopes :dance:. I trust them quite a bit, even though their method and dynamic completely changed this time around.

UGH, 59 days :bomb:.

^ yeah, First Impressions wasn't very well received - both commercially and critically. I think it's a pretty good album. I understand some of the criticism, but that's if you are focusing on the negative. If you focus on the positive, there are several good songs on it.

I am excited about the new album, but I also have concerns. I liked everything that was written in a non-democratic fashion. That's not to say I won't like an album where everyone is contributing. I'll just have to wait and see.

I think it's pretty underrated, even if I do think it could be a bit shorter by one or two songs.

Nikolai said that Angles sounds like it should have been released between ROF and FIOE, though, so I can't wait to hear what that sounds like.

Oh my God, seriously, there's nothing I'm looking forward to more these days than this besides seeing them & tons of others at Coachella itself. I'm probably going to get pretty overexcited in this thread at points.

• 2 weeks later...

"Under Cover of Darkness" will be released tomorrow at 7:35PM GMT for free download from thestrokes.com! It'll only be up for 48 hours, and then you can start to download it from iTunes/Amazon on the 15th.

They're setting themselves up for disaster, of course, just like Coldplay did with the Violet Hill release in 08, but Zane Lowe will be playing the song on BBC Radio 1 at about 7:30 GMT, so there will at least be radio rips while the official site is crashing and burning. Also, Zane will be interviewing a Stroke :dance:.

I'm trying to keep my cool, but I'm just WAY too excited for this :bigcry: :bomb:.