✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why Coldplay?

appleguyjoe

Guest diogo_sg
They have always had a pop feeling, with a mix of rock and other little things here and there...

Let's call them a pop-rock band, then [emoji6]

Even if they don't actually fit into any genre. They kinda have their own genre

"I live to see the world"

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's call them a pop-rock band, then [emoji6]

Even if they don't actually fit into any genre. They kinda have their own genre

Most of all, I realised during this years that they always had great taste in music, because the bands/artists they are inspired from made the history of contemporary music (U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, A-ha, Kate Bush, Radiohead, Oasis, My Bloody Valentine, Brian Eno, The Verve and so on...)

That's another reason why I love them: they are the only band I know that is a starting point to discover all the rest. Other bands are good but are not so "educational"

Guest diogo_sg
Most of all, I realised during this years that they always had great taste in music, because the bands/artists they are inspired from made the history of contemporary music (U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, A-ha, Kate Bush, Radiohead, Oasis, My Bloody Valentine, Brian Eno, The Verve and so on...)

That's another reason why I love them: they are the only band I know that is a starting point to discover all the rest. Other bands are good but are not so "educational"

That's true [emoji106]

Guest diogo_sg
Pop ? Rock ? I'd say Coldplay is a Coldplayish band.

[emoji122] There it is. You've just discovered Coldplay's musical genre!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've only discovered Coldplay several months ago. The first song I heard from them was the Scientist and I instantly liked the band. The second was Paradise and I fell completely in love. After that, I just kept listening to every one of their songs and each time I fell in love even more and more. I might be a more recent fan but I love Coldplay beyond words. They put so much effort and love into their music and they play with so much passion and enjoyment. Their music connects with me on so many personal levels and when I listen to them I get this strange sense of euphoria that instantly lifts my mood. It's sort of therapeutical in the way that hot showers make you feel fantastic after a long and tiresome day--but better. Everything in their songs is perfect--the lyrics, the melody, everything! I literally can't choose which song is my favourite because I love nearly all of them to death!

Right around the time 'Ghost Stories' was released, people started talking about Chris Martin's marital break-up again.**

It made total marketing sense to remind the public what emotions fueled the making of this album. This album wasn't a Coldplay collaboration. It was CM's heart under a microscope surrounded by his most important relationships, helping him grow from the experience.

While all this is playing out over the radio, I managed to find the courage to leave MY English husband, who after three years of living in his home town, had increasingly become verbally and mentally abusive.

After arriving back in the US, Magic came on. Although I heard this song many times before, this was the first time I actually listen to it.

Everything about this song hit me like a punch to the heart.

This singer… this guy shared his pain with the entire world. He didn’t die from his experience. He grew from it.

Everything I worked so hard for, I gave up to return home.

How do I rebuild my life and raise two children on my own?

I started researching Coldplay. I watched every interview, concert and guest appearance I could find on the internet. I’ve connected to their social media and even joined the Coldplaying forum.

Before I knew it, I was fangirling**over the band.

I dropped 12 lbs (almost a stone) watching past concerts on youtube and dancing as if I was there.

I used their words to help my daughter with her language arts studies.

I used their melodies to help my younger child learn her multiplication tables.

I use their interviews to motivate me and their actions to inspire me.

Chris Martin’s willingness to share such a personal, private and painful moment with the world helped me to regain my strength and confidence.

Yes, music has power but Coldplay, and all the relationships within the band, has made my world a better place.

• Like 1

Guest diogo_sg
Right around the time 'Ghost Stories' was released, people started talking about Chris Martin's marital break-up again.**

It made total marketing sense to remind the public what emotions fueled the making of this album. This album wasn't a Coldplay collaboration. It was CM's heart under a microscope surrounded by his most important relationships, helping him grow from the experience.

While all this is playing out over the radio, I managed to find the courage to leave MY English husband, who after three years of living in his home town, had increasingly become verbally and mentally abusive.

After arriving back in the US, Magic came on. Although I heard this song many times before, this was the first time I actually listen to it.

This singer… this guy shared his pain with the entire world. He didn’t die from his experience. He grew from it.

I started researching Coldplay. I watched every interview, concert and guest appearance I could find on the internet. I’ve connected to their social media and even joined the Coldplaying forum.

I dropped 12 lbs (almost a stone) watching past concerts on youtube and dancing as if I was there.

Chris Martin’s willingness to share such a personal, private and painful moment with the world helped me to regain my strength and confidence.

Yes, music has power but Coldplay, and all the relationships within the band, has made my world a better place.

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Sending love towards you and your children.

Love your storie. You're a great example of strength too. Don't give up, there is always hope. And for the sake of your wonderful children always keep moving forward, don't look back. Thanks for sharing your story. Best wishes!!!

Sad but lovely story. Wish you and your children all the best !

I totally agree with you on Chris Martin and Coldplay. Chris Martin literally pours his heart out into his music.

Thank you for sharing your story. You're such a strong person. Best wishes to you and your children! :)

Wow thats inspiring. I too am a fairly new Coldplayer as u might call a Coldplay fan.

It was in June of 2013 when i became a fan. My cousin was already a fan and had showed me Paradise, The Scientist, Viva, and Clocks, and Charlie Brown (which i thought was awful at the time lol). But it was when my school's band, orchestra, and choir all performed Viva La Vida for a ceremony that i fell in love. We were rehearsing everyday to the point i memorized the entire song's sound and lyrics. I began to listen to the song over and over again on youtube. And then..... I went down a youtube path. I clicked on a related video called "Coldplay-Princess of China", and from there i listened to every released song. From there i watched concerts, interviews, and even one old documentary. I had fallen in love. After we actually performed the song (in the wrong key) my mom picked me up and took me to walmart to let me buy something because it was the last day of school and that had been a ritual since like 3rd grade lol. I instantly went to the CD section and looked for Coldplay. When i did, there was one album: Mylo Xyloto. I bought it, and listened to it nonstop for the next 3 weeks. All the colors, the lyrics, Chris' perfect falsetto. I became obsessed. I still have that CD but Don't Let It Break Your Heart is starting to skip when i play it. Ive since then bought all their studio albums and Ghost Stories Live 2014 and Live 2012 the movie. I plan to preorder A Head Full of Dreams the moment i can.

Now this is all cool and stuff but what really made me love this band was Ghost Stories.

Later in 2013 (around October and November) i fell into a large fued with a person that i loved. Things were said that shouldnt have ever been said and i was banned from ever seeing, talking, or being near her. She never forgave me, and i cant forgive myself. I remember that day in February when the Midnight music video was released. It was so cool, mysterious. Then Magic came out and i was like yeah keep it comin. When i learned of the theme of the new album, i gasped. This was meant for me. The first time i heard the album all the way through, ill admit, a few tears were shed. This album directly related to my situation. I felt like Chris and I had something in common. From the swaying rhythm of Always In My Head, to the swirling piano in O, this album is still used when i get down about that incident that happened almost 2 years ago.

Ghost Stories is a message of love, and moving on, and using your issues in life as wings (look at the album art). This is something i can relate to, and so can many others. So Why Coldplay? Coldplay because they give me joy. Coldplay because they helped me climb out of a hole of despair that i felt i could never get out of. Coldplay because buckin. Coldplay because no other band dresses up as revolutionaries. Coldplay because P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLVODAAHF, MX, GS, AHFOD, and infinity. Coldplay because they saved me. Coldplay because it connects people from across the world who all love their music. Coldplay because, well Coldplay

I just want to thank you all for these incredible stories, they are touching, beautiful, and incredible look into your lives.

Why Coldplay? That question is a tough question to answer. Up until about age 15 I did not really care for music. I liked some songs that I heard on the radio, but I would never actively explore music or different genres. It wasn't until one night my brother was playing a 90's hits CD that a song called "A Long December" came on that primarily involved piano. For some reason "A Long December," by the Counting Crows really impacted me. I loved the sound that that particular song had, and I loved the lyrics. I was discovering that I wanted to play piano after years of disinterest in any instrument. I loved the sound of the piano. I started researching bands that used the piano, and my best friend sent me a youtube link of a live performance of "Clocks," and I became intrigued. At this point in my life I was a big Counting Crows fan, but after researching Coldplay some more, I found that I loved the band's style. Particularly, I loved how Coldplay always made it a point to be harmonious in their chords, and it was at that point I knew I had found the band that I had been in search of.

It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I started to really appreciate the band members. I sincerely don't believe they are the most talented musicians out there. Please do not misunderstand me -- they most certainly are very talented, but not "uber" talented. Chris Martin has mentioned his lack of talent multiple times, and I think he believes it. I don't believe Chris is using false-modesty when he talks about the band's talent level. In fact, I greatly appreciate that he and his band members do not try to be something that they aren't -- it makes me love them even more because they seem incredibly human, when most of the time musicians and other stars seem larger than life. They have worked incredibly hard to get where they are at, and I don't think they could have made it on pure talent alone, and they know that -- it defines them. Every time they are on stage they pour their hearts and souls into every song because that's who they are and that's what they have to do. Not all musicians care THAT much.

How does this tie into my story? Well, I was the kid in school that made very mediocre grades. I could never do well on any math test regardless how much studying I did. I failed state exams left and right because I predisposed myself to the notion that I would fail them regardless. I didn't try with girls because I didn't have any confidence or thought that there was a point. In short, I didn't believe I could do much of anything. I know this sounds like a lot of self-pity, and in a way it is. Coldplay helped though, because I watched four determined people make beautiful music through extremely hard work and burning passion. Coldplay helped me find my passion that I was searching for, which was music.

I fumbled my way through high school and did end up graduating, and then I went on to community college where I identified really well with some professors and began to really learn. The different setting that college provided as opposed to public school really made a difference for me, and I went on to graduate Summa Cum Laude with my Associates in Arts, and that provided fuel for me to eventually graduate with my B.S. Health Care Management with straight As. All during that time, Coldplay provided me with energy and happiness to keep going. Sure there were ups and downs all through college, but I identified with Coldplay the entire way through. Chris is great at getting inside your mind and explaining how you feel through your lowest moments and your highest. I didn't get to where I am without hard work, and neither did Chris, Johnny, Will, or Guy. I've been through failure, and so has Coldplay. The band was told that they didn't have what it takes to succeed, and they sacked Will. They were lost for a bit, as was I for a period in my life, but they didn't just accept that and give up. Coldplay kept going, they wouldn't be denied what they were working towards, and look where it has landed them. I am so proud of Coldplay. I will always fly the flag no matter how much hate they get.

They weren't going to be denied their dreams, and I think that is awe-inspiring. It's stories like theirs that really make me believe that it is possible to conquer your dreams, and for that I can never thank Coldplay enough.

Because when Coldplay came about I thought their music was somehow more emotionally engaging than my favorite bands. Obviously I was also fascinated with the melodies and the production and of course Chris's voice.

Things have changed drastically though so if I was introduced to Coldplay now I wouldn't even bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, Coldplay has actually been a family thing for me. I was raised on clocks and yellow. I listened to viva la Vida instead of the radio on roadtrips. Whenever my dad played guitar it was always Coldplay, I remember being like 8 and singing karaoke to Yellow. My house just magically has every single Coldplay CD.

I think there was never a choice for it not to be Coldplay.

Honestly, Coldplay has actually been a family thing for me. I was raised on clocks and yellow. I listened to viva la Vida instead of the radio on roadtrips. Whenever my dad played guitar it was always Coldplay, I remember being like 8 and singing karaoke to Yellow. My house just magically has every single Coldplay CD.

I think there was never a choice for it not to be Coldplay.

Really wish my family was like that. My dad listens to country and classical, my mom only listens to disney music, and my sister doesnt really care for music

Really wish my family was like that. My dad listens to country and classical, my mom only listens to disney music, and my sister doesnt really care for music

I love classical music!!

And trust me my dad listens to bad music as well, namely Italian music taken straight from the 80's. My mom and her brother (my uncle) have always loved Coldplay though, they tend to stick to alternative music. My sister is 11 and listens exclusively to teeny bopper crap (but I've been through that faze too she'll recover)

Well It just happened, I woke up one day and fell in love with Coldplay.

Since then it's been Coldplay when I'm happy or when my heart feels so heavy. It's been Coldplay at 3 in the morning or 4 in the afternoon. When I'm eating, sleeping, smiling or crying, they have been everywhere

. . they are everything to me, they understand me

I have so much of them in my heart.

I love classical music!!

And trust me my dad listens to bad music as well, namely Italian music taken straight from the 80's. My mom and her brother (my uncle) have always loved Coldplay though, they tend to stick to alternative music. My sister is 11 and listens exclusively to teeny bopper crap (but I've been through that faze too she'll recover)

My uncle and cousin were both Coldplay fans before i ever was.

My uncle and cousin were both Coldplay fans before i ever was.

The funny thing is I was so unaware of how hardcore my parents were/are (even though now that I think about it I don't know how I hadn't realized it earlier considering half my childhood was built on Coldplay) until I was filtering through my parents cd drawer a good time after I started listening to Coldplay religiously, and dug up Parachutes which according to my parents, was bought right when it came out in 2000.

Also, whenever I listen to Viva I have memories of my families 2008 trip to Atlantic Canada etched in my mind. Literally it's actually scary how vivid the memories get when I listen to it... And I was 7 at the time (I know I'm youngish don't laugh...)