Top 6 albums from weakest to best

Alright, I'm back!

With AHFOD getting closer and closer,

I felt it was time for another top 6!

This time I'm focusing on albums.

We're going from "weakest" to "best".

MAKE SURE TO EXPLAIN WHY.

I'll start.

6. X&Y (not all tracks are that great IMO, the B-sides all rock though. Especially Gravity and TIDU)

5. Parachutes (good, but doesn't give as much eargasms as the others)

4. Ghost Stories (Great, but some songs fall kinda flat compared to GS's amazing B-sides)

3. A Rush of Blood to the Head (a great ride, but I don't listen to it that often. XD)

2. Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (all songs rock! However...)

1. Mylo Xyloto is my favourite, because it relates to me more.

Alright Coldplayers, let's hear 'em!

Oh shit XD

My other threads were doing so well...

I guess now I've done something unoriginal XD

And you've totally put it in the wrong sub forum.

Tell you what, why don't you dibs the 'Rank the 7 albums' thread when A Head Full of Dreams comes out?

Any reasons for your picks?

I'd love to hear it from you

yes, sorry for not explaining, I was in a hurry when I wrote the message.

1) X&Y is my favourite because I think it's their more mature album, lyrically and musically speaking. I can also relate emotionally to all of the songs, and it was my first era as a fan, even if I knew them already.

2) VLVODAAHF because it was their more creative era. They "experimented" a lot, embracing different music genres and metrics and giving the lyrics an allegoric taste.

3) A Rush Of Blood To The Head because it's a very solid rock album and full of great ballads. It's their first good attempt to make their "masterpiece"

4) Parachutes because I like its very intimate warmness and the contrast between the depth of the atmospheres and the freshness of its acoustic parts.

These were the one I really love. Then there are:

5) Ghost Stories: a good LP, it could have been a Chris solo album for obvious reasons, not only lirically but even because it reflects the musical taste of the "modern Chris". Its flaws are related to the poor lyrics in some of the songs and the fact that the best songs (except for Midnight) are only bonus tracks (All Your Friends and Ghost Story). And ASFOS it's maybe their worst song ever.

6) MX: It has a good concept, but the songs are generally terrible. Overproduced, too poppy, bland, creativity lacking, full of choirs instead of lyrics. Its only good moments are Major Minus and Up With The Birds, that are great songs imho. Another song that could have been awesome if it wasn't overwhelmed by sound effects is Hurts Like Heaven, the rest is quite forgettable.

6) Ghost Stories : some great songs (Midnight, Oceans, Always in my Head) but the overall result is a bit bland for what's supposed to be a heartbreaking break-up album.

5) Mylo Xyloto : some songs are a bit too lazy (Paradise, POC) and I'm disappointed by the production/mixing/mastering. A shame, because some songs were just mind-blowing live : Major Minus, Hurts like Heaven, Us Against The World, Charlie Brown... I remember hearing POC sung by Chris on that crappy video at Rock im Park and thinking this could be my favourite song, and then I heard that eurodance thing with Rihanna and I was pretty disappointed. But the "acoustic" songs (UFO, UWTB, UATW) are great !

4) X&Y : just to be clear, I absolutely love most songs on this album, there are many epic gems (Square One, White Shadows, Talk, Low, A Message, Fix You) but for the same reasons than many people here, I think it doesn't works well as a whole thing, it's too long, some songs could have been great but they messed it up a bit on the arrangement/production (Hardest Part is the best example). And what annoys me the most is that there are some brilliant b-sides (Sleeping Sun, Gravity, Things I Don't Understand) that really could have replaced some songs . Well, even Coldplay said it, this album could've been a lot better.

3) A Rush of Blood to the Head : fantastic album, with fantastic songs. Again, I absolutely love all the songs here, even more than some parachutes ones, but the album is a bit long (54 min) and imo the order of the songs doesn't work at some moments. Otherwise it's still the absolute masterpiece that we know !

2) Parachutes : There are two or three songs in here were the production/arrangements didn't aged well imo (Shiver, Yellow) but it is a cohesive and powerful debut album that is still considered as a masterpiece. And, obviously, those delayed guitar sounds, those melodies !! Don't Panic, Sparks, We Never Change, Trouble, Sparks... This album has some soul. And I like that the band's still sounding sounding so acoustic and minimalist that I get the impression they're playing in my room.

1) VLVODAAHF : Bold, impressive, experimental, innovative, incorporing elements from spanish music (Cemeteries of London), ambient electronica (Escapist, Violet Hill), shoegaze (Chinese Sleep Chant), math rock (42), african music (Strawberry Swing) and the list goes on. The big Coldplay revolution where they created a whole universe around their music (but still implied, not explicit and way over the top like MX), they weren't afraid to experiment with obscure genres and transform them into pop. When it went out I thought that it wouldn't work commercially because of this experimental side and the lack of "Fix Yous" & "Scientists" but I was completely wrong. This album is mind blowing, I never thought before that Coldplay could be able to do this.

6) Ghost Stories - If it wasn't for the few songs in this album (like Oceans or Fly On), I would have probably dislike the album entirely. Some lyrics and sound design is just too weird or corny even by their standards. I could not find myself listen it for leisure because it's just too gloomy or bland.

5)Parachutes - I've been debating whether this or the next entry should go here, since this album is not that bad by most people. But I'll be honest here, while I do love this album a lot, there are few things that I felt are quite weak. I felt like is not a lyrically strong album. Some metaphors and phrases (like in Trouble, High Speed or Spies) are so outlandish, awkward or weird at times that it looks like it's written by a person who was struggling find to the right words in English (No offense to Non- English speakers). Plus, being their first LP release, their music isn't fully developed yet and sounds too similar to another bands at that time. Maybe that's why the band themselves doesn't like it.

4) Mylo Xyloto - Maybe I'm just a sucker for Pop music, but I like it album more than people would admit. I like the heavier rock and electronic elements to the album and the concept behind it. Now, the only weak parts of the song I can think of are the unnecessarily short instrumentals (which could have just easily be a part of the next song) and UFO (which is very forgettable in my opinion). The only other reason why it's here's because the others are just so damn good compare to this.

3)AROBTTH - I had a tougher time choosing between 3 and 2. It's good, it's really good. One of the few albums that I couldn't find one weak song. But one of the good things in this album is also the reason why it's not higher on this list. Its simplicity in terms of music.

2) X&Y - Much like Mylo Xyloto, I love the heavier rock and electronic elements to it. But unlike MX, the story it tells in the lyrics is much stronger than the one with a pre-establish concept plot. It feels to me like this should have been a concept album; an album about discovery, insecurities, and declaration (or maybe just science vs love).

1) VLDODAAHF - Dah, it's the obvious answer. It's sounds so radically different from its contemporaries but yet audiences and critics alike adorned it. And I totally agree. It's sort of orchestral-like music and arrangements coupled with powerful imagery and story telling makes it Coldplay's best, if not D best, album of all time.

6. Parachutes: I don't dislike Parachutes, and in fact I think it's a strong debut, but it's definitely not Coldplay at the height of their powers. They hadn't yet expanded beyond the musical territory of their main influences but managed to put together an all-around fun and not too serious work.

5. Ghost Stories: The band's mostly minimalistic 6th record has bright spots and, though it's a progression of Mylo Xyloto's pop sound, much of Ghost Stories sits towards the middle of the list of my favorite album tracks. That's not to say that there aren't bright spots like Midnight and Oceans, but little things like a lack of any real drums slightly hold the album back from its true potential.

4. Mylo Xyloto: I think of MX as a further exploration rather than the VLV sequel that it seems a lot of people expected. Though the more poppy numbers are a bit less inspired, the band still explores new sonic territory while keeping the basics of the VLV sound intact.

3. X&Y: Though it's almost universally agreed among the fanbase that AROBTTH was Coldplay's best alternative album, X&Y explores how far they can go with that sound. X&Y doesn't quite add up to its predecessor but it manages to hold its own with thoughtful lyrics and even more arena anthems. The only thing holding it back from AROBTTH is the fact that it doesn't innovate much.

2. A Rush of Blood to the Head: On only their second album, Coldplay managed to record a defining album of the alternative rock genre. It stands the test of time with not only catchy melodies and accessible, relatable themes, but also solid musicianship. This is the album that Coldplay will be remembered by long after they are gone.

1. Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends: This album is Coldplay's creative peak, marking a major change in direction that they have travelled along ever since. Brian Eno's encouragement of experimentation carries the band to new sonic landscapes that are otherwise unheard of in their catalogue. Eno, along with John Hopkins, helped Coldplay achieve a meaningful, unique album that surpasses AROBTTH in sheer creative ambition.

6. Ghost Stories:

Here, they have gone full blown AWAY from Rock (In most tracks at least), and this wasn't why I started listening to CP (Even though the artwork is, in my opinion, the best).

5. Mylo Xyloto:

This album was way overproduced (at least on most tracks). Even though it's still rock, they relied too much on production. To be specific, POC would have done great with less Pop (Even with Rihanna).

4. Parachutes:

This is where they were babies and had some flaws within. But, overall a great debut album and rock album. Of course, there were some parts that could have been more exciting.

3. X&Y:

Here, CP had alot of pressure after how critically and commercially successful AROBTTH was. The space rock-vibe I liked the most, especially on Talk and Square One. The flaws under pressure were present, but overall a great album.

2. AROBTTH:

Here, CP suprised the world by becoming from a most likely one hit wonder to one of the worlds biggest bands. Also their most critically acclaimed album, it is the perfect example of the best of Oldplay Rock.

1. VLVODAAHF:

Experimentation gone right is how to explain VLV. The addition of strings and the themes made this album excellent. The harder rock on some of the songs (Ex. Violet Hill) was at best.

• Like 1

6. Ghost Stories

5. Parachutes

4. Mylo Xyloto

3. AROBTTH

2. VLVODAAHF

1. X&Y

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends is one of my favorite albums, but I still like X&Y more!

September third 2015, Edited : because I actually can't choose between Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends or X&Y, but now I realize that Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends is their best album .. But I must say that Square One (X&Y) is their best record!