✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Battle of the Coldplay Eras! (elimination game)

42Escapist

Hello everyone! I suggested this elimination game in the record elimination thread and I Ran Away recommended that I start it, so here we go! My apologies to people who are tired of these games... just don't play if you're bored of it.

So, back on topic, Coldplay have been through 7 eras in their career. The quality of an era is based on more than simply an album or an EP; it is the live performances, the B-sides, and the themes. In this game, you will vote to eliminate one era per round, each lasting 24 hours, until there is one era left standing.

Our eras are:

Early Days

Parachutes

A Rush of Blood to the Head

X&Y

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends

Mylo Xyloto

Ghost Stories

My vote goes to the early days! I hope you enjoy playing, everyone! :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing this game too. It's so fun to play while we wait for AHFOD.

I'll say Ghost Stories. I love the album and every single song in it, this was the first era I lived from beginning to end. But, as it was an intimate one I hated they didn't make a big tour. Lots of places and coldplayers where waiting for a concert near them; mainly Latinamerican fans were disappointed after the MX tour was cancelled.

Viva La Vida Era:

Amazing, masterpiece of an album.

Incredible EP with plenty of solid B-sides.

Jangly pianos, sharp guitar work, tons of reverb and atmosphere, surprises around every corner. Epic stadium rock.

Cool unreleased tracks: Death Will Never Conquer, Dubliners, Lhuna (sort of), Famous Old Painters, Lukas (sort of), Don quixote

Every music video is great!

Live shows were incredible! Tons of acoustic versions of songs, great covers, mandolins, acoustic guitars, screaming guitar solos and even a creepy techno remix that seamlessly mixed GPASUYF/Talk? Whoa.

Great Lyrics. Great performances. Proved they could do rock, pop, indie, electronic, and explore tons of genres.

BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!

Viva La Vida Era:

Jangly pianos, sharp guitar work, tons of reverb and atmosphere, surprises around every corner. Epic stadium rock.

Cool unreleased tracks: Death Will Never Conquer, Dubliners, Lhuna (sort of), Famous Old Painters, Lukas (sort of), Don quixote

Live shows were incredible! Tons of acoustic versions of songs, great covers, mandolins, acoustic guitars, screaming guitar solos and even a creepy techno remix that seamlessly mixed GPASUYF/Talk? Whoa.

Great Lyrics. Great performances. Proved they could do rock, pop, indie, electronic, and explore tons of genres.

BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!

LOVE THAT :D but werent we supposed to eliminate one? :P

I vote mylo xyloto

Viva La Vida Era:

BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!

Death Will Never Conquer and Lhuna not unreleased.

The results of the first round are in:

Ghost Stories 5

Early Days 3

Mylo Xyloto 1

The Ghost Stories era is out; this, I guess, is to tell it it's chosen (as the worst era) out from the rest. :P

The 6 remaining eras as we begin round 2 are:

Early days

Parachutes

A Rush of Blood to the Head

X&Y

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends

Mylo Xyloto

My vote is the early days again. Happy voting, everyone!

this, I guess, is to tell it it's chosen (as the worst era) out from the rest. :P

I like that sentence :D

I'm voting for the Mylo Xyloto era now. It was the era where Coldplay went Teletubby-colourful, it was the era where they finally replaced their genuinely feeling concerts with hugely bloated but somewhat superficial shows, it features one of the worst music videos (Princess of China), one of Chris's uglier haircuts, as well as not-so-beautiful costumes and it was all pop, pop, pop. Coldplay had become so big that from now on, no matter their output, they were gonna be a huge chart success. Bigger than better.

Going with Viva La Vida album wise. That album was just spectacular and it's independance was outstanding!

But, the MX era was the best for concerts (GS would be here, especially with it's expensive 360 screens but, not enough shows).

So, just to clarify, that is not a vote for Viva La Vida, right? You seem awfully fond of it for someone who wants it eliminated. :P

I like that sentence :D

I'm voting for the Mylo Xyloto era now. It was the era where Coldplay went Teletubby-colourful, it was the era where they finally replaced their genuinely feeling concerts with hugely bloated but somewhat superficial shows, it features one of the worst music videos (Princess of China), one of Chris's uglier haircuts, as well as not-so-beautiful costumes and it was all pop, pop, pop. Coldplay had become so big that from now on, no matter their output, they were gonna be a huge chart success. Bigger than better.

This perfectly sums up my opinion.

I vote MX era

Okay I am finally back! Here are the results of round 2...

Early days 3

Mylo Xyloto 2

Unfortunately for the early days, they were neither bigger nor stronger than MX. They can't go anywhere they want to go; they may only leave the game. :P

The remaining eras are:

Parachutes

AROBTTH

X&Y

VLVODAAHF

MX

Somehow, MX managed to hold on. It is my next vote because I believe that missing Latin America was a major flaw of the tour. The era was massive and U2-ish in size, but considering all the leftovers from MX it deserved its own Prospekt's March kind of EP. The album is ok to me, but not spectacular; I would have liked it if they hadn't scrapped the acoustic album they were making. Instead they should have released it alongside the more upbeat and experimental material.

The next round starts now!