✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they want to have a chance for the single to be bought from iTunes etc, and not made from a YouTube-mp3 coverter of the halftime show

What? If they play it at the SB, iTunes sales will go through the roof! It's been like that for recent half time performers.

• Like 2

I think they think that if they played it it would feel like they are playing the superbowl to advertise their new single

If I remember correctly Madonna sang her brand new single at her Super Bowl halftime in 2012: "Give me all your loving", which came out as a single I believe only two days prior to the Super Bowl performance!

to me, not playing hftw shows their musical integrity that some long time fans have been complaining that they are loosing. still, it is a huge missed opportunity..

I hope it was a "fluke" and that they are actually gonna play it....anything else in my eyes would be ridiculous especially as you have Beyonce right there! I can see what you are saying, but I don't think its a bad thing at all. it would be the obvious choice for a unique occasion like this.

hahaa!

Chris Martin, Coldplay shine at Super Bowl presser

0ap3000000629792.jpg

What will be Coldplay's "left shark" moment at Super Bowl 50?

That was the question posed by a reporter at Thursday's news conference for the Grammy-award winning band that will play the halftime set at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, on Sunday. After joking about a veritable army of sharks being involved in the show, Coldplay frontman Super Bowl Media Center in downtown San Francisco. Martin has the sensitive rocker shtick down. I counted three "Awwwwwwwws" from women seated in my vicinity during Martin's interactions with the media from around the world.

Martin and the rest of the band -- guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion -- revealed little about what was in store. "We decided we'd play all our No. 1s and work out how to fill the other 10 minutes," Martin said in reference to "

," the band's lone No. 1 hit in the United States.

Martin praised Beyoncé -- who will have a part in the show -- as one of the greatest performers in this era and hinted there will be another past halftime act who will be part of the proceedings. When told that the band's 2002 hit "Clocks" was Cam Newton's favorite Coldplay song, the band broke away from a previous stance that they didn't have a favorite team in the game.

"This changes things significantly," said drummer Will Champion.

"They have a Scottish kicker as well and Guy, our bass player, is Scottish is well, so we feel a certain affinity with the Scots, so I think we'll go Panthers."

Added Martin: "He's speaking of the Denver Panthers. Put that in your paper."

Like I said, that Chris Martin is a charming British fellow. Hide your girlfriends.

NFL

• Like 2

I hope it was a "fluke" and that they are actually gonna play it....anything else in my eyes would be ridiculous especially as you have Beyonce right there! I can see what you are saying, but I don't think its a bad thing at all. it would be the obvious choice for a unique occasion like this.

i find it quite strange too. but i wouldn't miss it :) still, very strange.. and that gives you at least one non-coldplay song in the setlist.

i find it quite strange too. but i wouldn't miss it :) still, very strange.. and that gives you at least one non-coldplay song in the setlist.

You mean the "leaked" uptown funk or some other song? Having Beyoncé there and not playing Hymn is practically almost daft...but yeah we ll see how the show comes out. I sincerely hope we won't have to sit through several non-Coldplays songs, even if they are bits it's still time taken from the 12 minutes.

Also I usually don't mind Chris self deprecating comments (here in Europe we find them often charming) but in the USA I'm afraid they might come off as them not being confident enough in their material (good enough). USA don't have a "tradition" of self deprecating attitude in my experience. I think Chris was exaggerating with those comments during the press conference.... That kinda bothered me a bit. It was a bit too much all that "Beyonce (and everyone else under the sun) is the goddess and we are lucky if we get to polish her shoes" kinda talk :-/

• Like 4

Also I usually don't mind Chris self deprecating comments (here in Europe we find them often charming) but in the USA I'm afraid they might come off as them not being confident enough in their material (good enough). USA don't have a "tradition" of self deprecating attitude in my experience. I think Chris was exaggerating with those comments during the press conference.... That kinda bothered me a bit. It was a bit too much all that "Beyonce (and everyone else under the sun) is the goddess and we are lucky if we get to polish her shoes" kinda talk :-/

exactly! specially when they are treated in the media as if beyonce is too good for them to even polish her shoes!

• Like 1

You mean the "leaked" uptown funk or some other song? Having Beyoncé there and not playing Hymn is practically almost daft...but yeah we ll see how the show comes out. I sincerely hope we won't have to sit through several non-Coldplays songs, even if they are bits it's still time taken from the 12 minutes.

It's not just about the culture of a specific country. People who doesn't know Chris will take his words too seriously, and that represents the majority of people. I guess that's why we see people saying "if they don't know anything about football, why are they playing the halftime show?"

Ugh, I'm 6 minutes into the press conference and I feel like I'm going to stop watching it. It's filled with pointless questions which of course get no answers.

About HFTW, I find it very strange that they said they are not playing it. From a business point of view it doesn't make sense :thinking:

Ugh, I'm 6 minutes into the press conference and I feel like I'm going to stop watching it. It's filled with pointless questions which of course get no answers.

About HFTW, I find it very strange that they said they are not playing it. From a business point of view it doesn't make sense :thinking:

I find it kind of strange too but I'm getting the feeling the band only wants to play what people know. Remember, they are playing in America and I think they rather play songs everyone can sing along to rather than play a new single. I am curious what we're going to get from Beyoncé though...