✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay's Halftime Show Director: 'No Other Show Comes Close'

With the Super Bowl just a few days away, everybody is speculating not just about which teams will take home the big rings, but about what Coldplay is planning for the Halftime show—the most-watched concert stage in the world, year after year. As the group was putting the finishing touches on what promises to be a very special performance, I spoke with their director and creative collaborator Hamish Hamilton, the man who has been behind many of the more Super Bowl Halftime shows.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

OFFENBACH, GERMANY – DECEMBER 08: Artist Chris Martin of Coldplay performs onstage during the Telekom Street Gigs at Capitol on December 8, 2015 in Offenbach, Germany. (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images)

What’s working with Coldplay like?

Well, I’ve worked with Coldplay for many years now and they’re always a band who actually surprise. I think as a frontman, Chris [Martin] has really come into his own. The other three also. They’re a band of four quite interesting and individual characters. Will, the drummer, has this very powerful onstage presence. They’ve got great ideas. Of course, this year is going to be the first daytime Half Time show that there’s been in many years, so that provides a whole new set of opportunities and challenges. It’s the Super Bowl Half Time. It’s the biggest in show business.

How does their creative process differ from any of the other performers you’ve worked with on this show?

Artists now are, in many ways, brands in their own right. Each artist has a very different brand essentially, don’t they? Brand Beyonce is very different to Brand Bruno is very different to Brand Katy is very different to Brand Coldplay. I think that Coldplay’s show will be in some ways bigger, in some ways more inclusive. I think there’s going to be a lot of people involved in the show and a lot of color involved.

For the first time in quite a few years, you’ve got a band onstage as opposed to a, essentially, a solo performer. Some of the most recent shows have been more about movement in terms of artists’ movement or I think Coldplay. Again, not really what they are about. They have challenged us and themselves to come up with moments that are both intimate and spectacular. Each Super Bowl is a completely different experience because not only is the music different, but the working practice is the people around the artists are different. It’s every year is a completely unique creative logistical and organizational challenge.

400x400.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

How early did you guys start brainstorming this show?

You start thinking about the show almost the moment the previous year’s is finished. It is really an all-year-round proposition and there are various stages to the creative process. Some of the creative process is based on very practical considerations like the width of the tunnels. This year, as I mentioned before, the very fact that the show will be in daylight is a huge creative, practical, and logistical consideration.

Once the artist is chosen and says yes, then that’s when everything really does start in earnest. We’ve been working now with Coldplay for a few months to kind of hone a show, which is a Super Bowl spectacular and Super Bowl appropriate.

Of all the Super Bowls that you have worked on, do you have a favorite moment that stands out?

Well, my first Super Bowl was The Who. you only do your first Super Bowl once, so that’s obviously very close to my heart. I couldn’t quite believe that. I was this guy from England who was directing the Super Bowl Half Time in America. In each of the shows, there’s great moments both in the room and on television.

I can pick great moments from every show because they’re all really special. You spend such time crafting them, worrying about them, thinking about them, and working with the artists on them. I mean, that Madonna opening was fantastic. The Beyonce fire girl moment was great. Katy and Left Shark, the [black Eyed] Peas dropping from the roof, the James Brown doing James Brown. There’s a really impressive body of work in Super Bowls that goes way back to Super Bowl I.

Is there anybody else that you would love to see do the show in the future? That you’d love to work with?

I honestly, just from a personal point of view, I would love to do Led Zeppelin. I guess for many, many reasons, that’s unlikely to happen, but you know what? Their music has been around for all of my life. On all of my various digital devices, cassette players, CD players, radios all the way through my life. I think that that would probably be my ultimate Super Bowl. Honestly, this can’t happen, but The Beatles. That would have been incredible. What a great Super Bowl that would have been!

What would you say is the most difficult part of the entire process?

Stress and expectation. Everybody expects such amazing things from the Super Bowl. There’s no margin for error. It puts tremendous strain on you. You want to deliver the best that you can possibly do for the great American and global public, for the artist that you’ve been working with. There’s so much that could go wrong technically. You have no control over many things. There’s a huge team of people who really, really are working, fully stretched, maxed out to get these things to happen. That’s, I think in many ways, what makes it so special because every year, the team pulls off the impossible. Much has been written and much has been said about what it takes to put a Super Bowl on. Every year, the team tests those parameters to the max.

You’ve also worked on the Oscars and several huge live concerts. How does the Super Bowl differ from any of these other massive events?

In many other jobs that I do, we do, the term “Super Bowl” is almost now used as an adjective to suggest the biggest, the best, the most challenging. “It’s the Super Bowl of this” or “It’s the Super Bowl of that”. A hundred and twenty million people watch it. It’s a drama filled, white-knuckle adrenaline ride for about thirty minutes for thousands of people working on the show and a hundred and twenty million people watching it live. No other show comes close in terms of drama, numbers, spectacles, or ambition. It’s not the Super Bowl of anything, it’s the motherf—ing Super Bowl.

forbes

If they really do not play HFTW, it may not be the wisest decision in terms of commercial success, BUT the best decision they could make in terms of artisitic integrity.

HFTW is not a song that represents Coldplay and what this band stands as much as some of their classic hits. Clocks is Coldplay, Fix You is Coldplay, Viva La Vida is Coldplay...that's the caliber of songs they have to stick to if it's really "an entire career in 12(9.5) mins".

• Like 2

If they really do not play HFTW, it may not be the wisest decision in terms of commercial success, BUT the best decision they could make in terms of artisitic integrity.

HFTW is not a song that represents Coldplay and what this band stands as much as some of their classic hits. Clocks is Coldplay, Fix You is Coldplay, Viva La Vida is Coldplay...that's the caliber of songs they have to stick to if it's really "an entire career in 12(9.5) mins".

Well thats an opinion I guess. Hymn is to me as much Coldplay as those you mentioned, moreover their latest album is the culmination of their journey so it would be pointless to celebrate "all that came before" without including what is. As for artistic integrity I don't see it...I see just a sad decision and a missed opportunity. I don't see how "noble" it is not to play one of the songs of the album you are proud of to a wide audience...it would be of detriment to no one to play it and of detriment well to everyone not to play it (both commercially but also because you dont take this opportunity for more people to be introduced to the song, moreover we are deprived of what could have been a very exciting unique opportunity for the song to be played live with Beyonce).

I could understand if this was a charity event or similar where understandably you don't want to "steal" the spotlight on the subject at hand and take advantage of the situation to sell your latest single. I would get a case like that, but the Super Bowl? Which in and into itself is the quintessence of "commercial"? Not seeing it...

Colplday might have withheld it for the reasons you mentioned. If so, I don't see any sense in it.

• Like 2

First I was pleased to hear that HFTW is not in (cause I thought that would leave room for one more Coldplay "classic") but now it seems like Bey and Bruno are gonna take up this time... :(

So 9.5 mins only ? wow.

Its really not much time yeah...and I´ve seen some Super Bowl shows today clocking in at 15 minutes even or something like that. So this will definitely be shorter it seems like? Im honestly getting less excited by the hour....but we´ll see. Maybe we will still be surprised by a good show

Well, I guess they already have AOAL to represent that....

I don't know if that song was confirmed? I would probably think Adventure is the best song to represent AHFOD, so I would agree with that choice. It´s still sad to miss the opportunity to hear Hymn live with Beyonce. And most especially if she ends up singing/debuting one of her songs instead! Like....no sense at all in this.

At first when I read the Super Bowl was gonna celebrate the 50th anniversary I thought this was an extra honor for Coldplay but now that it means they will have to share the stage with so many others I'm starting to think it's the shortest straw :/

It's true that past artists almost always had guests in their performance but this is starting to look like Coldplay are the guests. I hope I'm very wrong about it though!

• Like 1

it is bound to happen. the media have been peddling that since beyonce was announced. coldplay have dropped to the third place. because, bruno mars is bigger than coldplay too. hopefully no more big name guests.

it really would be horrible if beyonce premiers a song. that would be hijacking someone else's time to shine.

it is bound to happen. the media have been peddling that since beyonce was announced. coldplay have dropped to the third place. because, bruno mars is bigger than coldplay too. hopefully no more big name guests.

it really would be horrible if beyonce premiers a song. that would be hijacking someone else's time to shine.

Im not sure about albums sold but Im pretty sure Beyonce sold more albums than Coldplay (no idea about Bruno Mars), so this is actually one case in which the main performer has guests who are more popular/known than said main performer! This is likely to be detrimental for Coldplay I agree. But I still hope Im wrong...I hope it will turn to their advantage.

I still think that the organisers if they wanted to do something extra special for the 50th and honour previous performers should have done a separate medley/video or what-do-I-know that would have this function instead of cutting it into Coldplay´s performance.

Also still I must admit...how can Coldplay think Beyonce and Bruno Mars are such amazing artists is well beyond me ! Their ears may very well have some elements mine don't in order to pick up on such brilliance where I just hear a pretty average and bland pop music.

Im not sure about albums sold but Im pretty sure Beyonce sold more albums than Coldplay (no idea about Bruno Mars), so this is actually one case in which the main performer has guests who are more popular/known than said main performer! This is likely to be detrimental for Coldplay I agree. But I still hope Im wrong...I hope it will turn to their advantage.

I still think that the organisers if they wanted to do something extra special for the 50th and honour previous performers should have done a separate medley/video or what-do-I-know that would have this function instead of cutting it into Coldplay´s performance.

Also still I must admit...how can Coldplay think Beyonce and Bruno Mars are such amazing artists is well beyond me ! Their ears may very well have some elements mine don't in order to pick up on such brilliance where I just hear a pretty average and bland pop music.

hahaa! i like some of beyonce's songs, and bruno mars'. but no way these 2 were some of the best super bowl performers in the past i think. but then again, our barometers are different to the general super bowl fan. i think that article i linked earlier today pretty well sums up what kind of a show a person expects out of this. and artistry and musicianship (in the traditional sense) fall very very low on the list.

• Like 1

hahaa! i like some of beyonce's songs, and bruno mars'. but no way these 2 were some of the best super bowl performers in the past i think. but then again, our barometers are different to the general super bowl fan. i think that article i linked earlier today pretty well sums up what kind of a show a person expects out of this. and artistry and musicianship (in the traditional sense) fall very very low on the list.

I actually took some time to educate myself on past performances today hehe And I really did like most of them! I do like a well organised show where the music is one but not the only element. I don't think Beyonce or Mars were among the best though or most spectacular even imo.

But speaking outside the Super Bowl, I don't get why Beyonce or Bruno Mars songs are so popular or hailed as such high artistry...like I said I must be missing something here, cuz sure I like a couple of their songs (couple meaning two LOL), but even those I like are nowhere near artistry...more like a good catchy pop song at best. Maybe its just the R&B genre which is totally not in resonance with my ears...