✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about the only thing left to put on their resume. I just hope Chris doesn't become a nervous wreck. More people will be watching this than anything they've ever been a part of. As Chris would say "Could be shit, could be good".

Also, how epic would it be if they brought xylobands along?

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh MAN the hate I'm seeing on Twitter right now. It's brutal. It's like people think we're going to see the Coldplay of the early 2000s, and they're simply not that anymore. I can understand why people wouldn't want to see early 2000s Coldplay do the halftime show, but the way they are now? They're full of life. Energetic. In other words, they are PERFECT for something like this. The haters are going to see how wrong they were when Coldplay absolutely OWNS the halftime show.

And oh by the way, check out my avatar. The possibility is now there for February 7 to truly be one of the most epic nights of my life...!!!

• Like 3

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh MAN the hate I'm seeing on Twitter right now. It's brutal. It's like people think we're going to see the Coldplay of the early 2000s, and they're simply not that anymore. I can understand why people wouldn't want to see early 2000s Coldplay do the halftime show, but the way they are now? They're full of life. Energetic. In other words, they are PERFECT for something like this. The haters are going to see how wrong they were when Coldplay absolutely OWNS the halftime show.

And oh by the way, check out my avatar. The possibility is now there for February 7 to truly be one of the most epic nights of my life...!!!

oh man, a true football and coldplay fan, neat.

Iunno, I just dont know what they would play during the show that would keep rabid football fans from booing.

The CFL (canadian football league) made the mistake of hiring Bieber to do a show, and I don't want that to happen to Coldplay.

It's terrible on Twitter right now! I had to go and search for reactions (normally I don't do that), and I hate reading all of that!

thats why i didn't want them to do the show. Theyre a good band, but just not the right band for the Superbowl

This could be an interesting performance. It's traditional for the artist to perform a medley, no? We could see a mashup of 3-4 songs.

I think if Coldplay really wants to be successful at this, they're going to have to balance some of their rockier singles with some of their poppier ones. Pure ASFoS/HFtW/Paradise and you lose a lot of the older viewers, pure Clocks/Yellow/Violet Hill songs and you miss the younger generations. Although, just judging by my experience with football, a lot of fans swing more toward the rocky side.

Obviously they're going to have to put some thought into this if they want to be well-received (see Twitter blowing up with complaints already. Really, people? You complain about Coldplay but not Katy Perry?). The best setlist I could see them pulling off would be:

Clocks, Violet Hill, then a song from among Viva/AHFoD/Adventure and ASFoS/Paradise/Hymn.

That gives them a classic song, a rock song, a rock/pop jamfest, and a more pure pop-oriented song

This could be an interesting performance. It's traditional for the artist to perform a medley, no? We could see a mashup of 3-4 songs.

I think if Coldplay really wants to be successful at this, they're going to have to balance some of their rockier singles with some of their poppier ones. Pure ASFoS/HFtW/Paradise and you lose a lot of the older viewers, pure Clocks/Yellow/Violet Hill songs and you miss the younger generations. Although, just judging by my experience with football, a lot of fans swing more toward the rocky side.

Obviously they're going to have to put some thought into this if they want to be well-received (see Twitter blowing up with complaints already. Really, people? You complain about Coldplay but not Katy Perry?). The best setlist I could see them pulling off would be:

Clocks, Violet Hill, then a song from among Viva/AHFoD/Adventure and ASFoS/Paradise/Hymn

Well, 'cause Katy Perry is an attractive female and football fans would prefer that to a soft rock band. I'm not saying its right, but its the truth.

I'm really having a hard time building a setlist for this myself

yeah, i'd say football is more rock or r&b/rap

Well, 'cause Katy Perry is an attractive female and football fans would prefer that to a soft rock band. I'm not saying its right, but its the truth.

I'm really having a hard time building a setlist for this myself

yeah, i'd say football is more rock or r&b/rap

Fair enough, unfortunately. We have the potential for Beyonce if they perform Hymn though *shrugs*

I've thought about this, and it would be strange since a medley would be quite unlike them. But that's generally what happens in a Super Bowl halftime show, so they may have no choice.

I'm thinking Viva is a lock, perhaps Paradise (although I'd kind of prefer they didn't do that for this show), Clocks might be their one classic that they go with. Since surprise guests are usually a thing, Beyonce coming along for Hymn for the Weekend is a massive possibility. They've got to choose this very carefully, because this will obviously be the biggest show they've ever done. I'm so happy that they're finally getting this opportunity... I always hoped they would.

They're not soft rock anymore though... that's what I keep trying to tell the haters. They're full of life and make energetic music that's perfect for something like this.

They probably will. The comments on SportsCenter's Facebook are just terrible. People just don't know…

Well, people are stupid sometimes. And that's not a joke. They just don't know the band, and are only going off popular opinion. Most ppl's opinions of Coldplay are still based on "you know how I know you're gay? because you like Coldplay". It pisses me off, but I know that's what ppl think of them still.

Coldplay will disappoint the haters and they'll do an amazing performance. They're brilliant. They'll choose the right songs. Plus they don't care at all, they know there's people who don't like their music. They'll try to enjoy as much as they can the show. My guess is: we'll see how they top the charts because people will "discover" their new sound.