✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay misunderstood lyrics

Issssidora

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: that's a good connection :P

it's some sort of bible reference, but i sure don't know what it's supposed to mean. these are the real pressing questions interviewers should have been asking :P

I don't know either! Daniel in the lion's den is a biblical reference, but I'm pretty sure Daniel isn't drunk in the story... :P

They should just let fans like us do all the interviews for a change, just so they can answer burning questions like these. :lol:

• Like 3

I don't know either! Daniel in the lion's den is a biblical reference, but I'm pretty sure Daniel isn't drunk in the story... :P

They should just let fans like us do all the interviews for a change, just so they can answer burning questions like these. :lol:

yes, but Chris would probably answer that it means whatever you want it to mean! :P

• Like 3

Mine is from A Message....the opening line is.....

My song is love

I thought it was....

My song is long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaha :D

I myself wasn't sure about the 2nd line in the same song, was it "Love to the love that's shown" or was it "Love to the love that's shone"

And it was "loveless shown"

• Like 2

i think it's a grammar issue, like maybe

My drunken hazard: Daniel in a lion's den

even though it doesn't 100% make sense to me still :P

I thought so too (not about the grammar issue xD) I don't think it was ever supposed to be interpreted as a single continuous sentence. I always read it as just two metaphors put together, like in poetry, to create more vivid imagery.

I thought Us against the world was about Mylo and Xyloto so I always interpreted that line as a representation of Mylo's struggle. He gets drunk on color and music after meeting Xyloto and discovering his "sparker" powers. But the cause of his drunkenness is also what puts him in danger (from Major Minus). He feels like Daniel (from the Bible :P) because he knows he's innocent but is prosecuted for not following the rules of the supremacy.

Or it could be a reference to the band themselves :cheesy: Music means the world to them and they put everything into it making it. But they are/were sometimes criticized very harshly over the very same music that they love (especially during X and Y which came out just before MX) and accused of just wanting to make money (thus the hazard bit). But they know that's not true and they genuinely make music from their hearts :heart:

The Daniel line also signals some hope since he comes out unharmed from the lion's den as he's innocent. The band know they'll make it through all the shit thrown at them because they're innocent too and they've got each other. It's just us against the world :daisy:

I don't know if that made any sense at all :laugh3:

Just my interpretation :)

I shouldn't even be here right now xD Bad me. Back to studying :escaping2:

• Like 2

In Yellow, I used to think the line, "your skin and bones" was "your skin unfolds". I thought that sounded kind of gross, like skin peeling away or going inside out, but then again talking about someone's skin and bones isn't that much better. Lol

I've also heard a lot of people say the line in Ink that goes "the pain's alright" as "the paint's alright".

• Like 2

Before I looked up the lyrics, in "Us against the world" I used to sing

My uncle has a Daniel in a lion's den

Instead of

My drunken hazard daniel in a lion's den.

I still find that sentence so weird.

...and I thought it said, "I'm drunken as a Daniel in a lion's den." Or, "My drunkard has a Daniel in a lions den."

Neither made any sense to me. LOL

Oh wow, I wanted to start a thread like this before, but never got to actually doing it :)

I used to mishear the line "sitting with the poison takes away the pain" as

"sitting with boys, it takes away the pain".

That's what I thought too, if you add "the" before boys, which, I thought meant GJWP! I still like it better!

Lol Chris mumbles way too much on the AHFOD album :lol:

I misheard/ couldn't make out something in nearly every song :D

Up and up

I thought he was saying ''waiting for a chance to pick your Irish field'' as a reference to potatoes or something instead of orange field :uhoh2:

I used to hear ''I can see the fire, it's there in every sea'' in place of ''see the forest there in every seed'' :D

Oh and in Birds until a few weeks I ago I thought it was "STOP falling in love, STOP the riot" instead of START[emoji23]

Fits coldplay's message a lot better this way though..

Same haha xD

And I thought ''It’s just a warring rain'' was ''It’s just a war in the rain''

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Before I start I want to say that I knew that the lyrics I thought I heard were wrong so after hearing the song a few times I went to search for them :P

In AOAL I heard "Is that a cake or one? ......We are omen." (It didn't make any sense xD ) instead of "said I can't go on...Only I own me"

I never had this problem with other coldplay songs and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't figure it out on my own.And then I read the lyrics and I was like wow,that makes much more sense and I can definitely hear it :tongue:

Oh and in I Ran Away I thought it was:"I have your love on call and yet my day is not so full" instead of "I have your love on call and yet my belly is so full" Never really got what Chris means by this line!

• Like 2

In A Sky Full of Stars I heard "Is that a cake or one? ......We are omen." (It didn't make any sense xD ) instead of "said I can't go on...Only I own me"

This must be a major mishearing if you heard it in ASFOS :P You mean AOAL, right ? :D

As for I Ran Away, what Chris probably means is that the love he has on call from the person he runs away from is more than he can handle - he knows it is actually a good thing to be loved by this person, but his stomach is already full...

I personally always sing a "day is not so full" version because that's how I first understood it. Besides, at some other points the official lyrics of I Ran Away clearly differ from what Chris is actually singing...

Lol,yes,I am going to edit it now.I kept making mistakes and editing my post. I was distracted by my new puppy while typing it!(His name is Mylo ;) ).Thanks for the explanation!

This must be a major mishearing if you heard it in ASFOS :P You mean AOAL, right ? :D

As for I Ran Away, what Chris probably means is that the love he has on call from the person he runs away from is more than he can handle - he knows it is actually a good thing to be loved by this person, but his stomach is already full...

I personally always sing a "day is not so full" version because that's how I first understood it. Besides, at some other points the official lyrics of I Ran Away clearly differ from what Chris is actually singing...

• Like 1

I didn't know what he was saying in Fix You for the longest time either... "Just watch it work" but I heard "worth" sometimes so it made no sense... Until someone brought up the actual lyrics in the War of Coldplay lyrics thread, "Just what you're worth" Makes so much more sense now LOL :lol: And I've known the song for over a year... And only since a few days ago know every single lyric, but is my 6th fav Coldplay song :embarrassed:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Oh and in I Ran Away I thought it was:"I have your love on call and yet my day is not so full" instead of "I have your love on call and yet my belly is so full" Never really got what Chris means by this line!

i remember thinking the line might have been "i have your love on coals and yet my belly is so full" which made perfect sense to me, like Chris is barbequing this persons' love but he's not really hungry for it

...what's that? it doesn't really make sense either way? :uhoh:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actual songtext:

I said, drink from me, drink from me

When I was so thirsty

We're on a symphony

Now I just can't get enough

What Batman heard:

I said, drink from me, drink from me

When I was so thirsty

We're on a symphony

Now I just can't get it up

First time I listened to it I was like: "Damn CHris you're uncomfortably honest nowadays, jeeEEZ"

Not to mention, having the line ending THAT way, I thought the entire song was about actual blowjobs and some rather kinky shit going on there in terms of "DRINK FROM ME" I mean... yeah you get the idea lmao.

Still laugh my ass off everytime I listen to that particular line, I will never get it corrected in my head HAHAHAH

• Like 1