✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-11-19] Coldplay headline Global Citizen Festival in India

Can you explain in which way ?

I'm just curious because in my country I have the impression not much value is placed on the flag (perhaps due to our history), so I would like to hear what others think.

One thing was laying the flag on the ground at the end of the show. That is very disrespectful. As children we are taught to never let the flag touch the ground.

You also shouldnt use the flag as part of a costume.

There are specific ways of displaying it, and hanging it out of a pocket is not one of those ways.

For complete details, see here https://www.legion.org/flag/code

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ex. in my country people care about our symbols like hymn or flag more (that's my impression). We hang them on our houses during state holidays and make sure that they're clean and tidy. So seeing someone rolling on it, throwing it or flourishing it can seem disrespectful. I don't really care about it but my mom, even though she understands that it wasn't meant to be offencive, wouldn't be very happy about it.

One thing was laying the flag on the ground at the end of the show. That is very disrespectful. As children we are taught to never let the flag touch the ground.

There are specific ways of displaying it, and hanging it out of a pocket is not one of those ways.

i feel like in the US people are really weird about the flag. i never hear people complain about how it gets used unless it's in some sort of protest and even then the complaints always reference the military? like if you're disrespecting the flag because you're against something then you're disrespecting our vets who fight for your freedom and your right to protest in the first place.

but we can slap it on a bunch of merch all day long and no one cares. actually that seems to be encouraged :P

Interesting. I mean I get that you shouldn't deliberately make fun of a flag or use it in context of rude gestures etc., but I would never have imagined there are such strict codes about it, and honestly I wouldn't have associated a flag touching the ground with disrespect and might have made that 'mistake' too because I wouldn't dreamt of it being a problem. Like I said, in my country I have never heard of such a thing, and a quick google didn't return any code of behavior (i also have to say the flag is almost never displayed here, while in the US seemed to be hanging in every corner). Different cultures, different customs I guess.

Well, we all know the intention of Coldplay on their tours is exactly the opposite - showing respect for the country they visit and giving the concert a local flavour to make the audience happier - so that's what counts for me personally.

• Like 7

ETPdu4N.gif

I have a British Union Jack Flag towel that I wipe my floor with ...

• Like 7

Guest diogo_sg
Holy shit!!! Best night ever alhrdhkydv

Running to the airport to catch my flight back now. More details to come soon

The band was absofuckinglutely fantastic adhghkkk. They pulled out all stops even though it was for the festival. Lasers, confetti, balloons, fireworks everything (Except the xylobands). The setlist was a typical full concert setlist with in my place as the instagram request, gpasuyf, don't panic, heroes, the paradise remix, sky full of stars started with Chris singing a famous hindi song with adorably terrible pronunciation and they did a collab with A. R Rehman on a song Indians adore called vande Mataram (translates to 'I praise you, mother India'). It was such a generous, beautiful thing for them to do <3

I hope Chris doesn't get into trouble because of the flag D: I was so worried as soon as I saw it tucked in his waistband D: there are way too many idiots here with political motivations who will try and use it as an excuse to create a controversy to and somehow use it as leverage against the prime minister :(

And the audience was absolutely amazing. At least the ones in my immediate surroundings (I was at the back though and it's mostly the audience at the front who were being recorded so idk). Every single person around me knew every lyric to every song except always in my head, in my place and gpasuyf[emoji14]and Chris had asked us to hold our phones up at the start of paradise and then asked us to put it away just before the remix so we could dance. His comment has been taken out of context lol.

I haven't watched the stream yet but it isn't impossible that we sound dead there. They sometimes mute the audience so you can hear the band better or maybe the recording equipment was far away idk lol. At least live the experience was amazing, I could barely hear Chris on some of the songs over the audience :'D

The band was absolutely flawless. Nobody messed up (well besides Chris ''breaking his guitar string'' and wanting us to do the Charlie Brown jumping bit again :'D). And they sounded so fucking beautiful on every song afhftingtkhe

It still feels like a dream adbhfikjf but such a beautiful dream D:

And Jay Z was pretty incredible live too! I'm not really a rap fan and wasn't expecting to enjoy his performance so it was a pleasant surprise :D

I'm so happy for you!! It would be so great if Coldplay could visit India more often (as well as other countries they don't visit).

Oh... That's just horrible [emoji22]

I was there.

tl;dr: Jump to para(dise) 5

And I'm going give my best shot at describing to you wonderful people what I witnessed yesterday while I'm still fresh with a head full of dreams but before that, let me introduce myself as this is the first interaction I've ever had on these forums even though I've been a member and silently followed the happenings on Coldplaying for over a year now - best way to do that is by saying I'm the biggest fan of Coldplay in the world![emoji14]I waited so, so long for this gig I cannot possibly express the rush of blood to the head I experienced when I completely digested the fact that I was about to experience my favourite band, no, my favourite thing in the world, live. Let's jump right into it.

I'm a 17-year old Indian boy living in Mumbai and I've never felt prouder to admit that. When a band whose concerts you've stayed up nights to livestream suddenly decides to come to your country, and not just do that but ensure that they leave as the most loved and endeared group of foreigners to have ever braced your nation, that's when you know you're in for a taste of heaven on earth. And that is exactly what yesterday was. Coldplay's set was over in a jiffy but that moment encapsulated infinity within it.

Before I continue, I'd just like to take a moment to laud my PM Narendra Modi for being such a boss in his video-address to the crowd shortly before the long-awaited Coldplay set by starting his speech with "I know I'm standing between you and Coldplay so I'll keep this short..." and concluding by quoting Chris Martin's lyrics! "You can see the change you wanted, be what you want to be." [AHFOD] and "Under this pressure, under this weight. We are diamonds, taking shape. We are diamonds, taking shape." [AOAL] Also, I'm not sure but I think he also quoted Bob Dylan as he did mention him as one of his influences (along with CM) during his address and he used the phrase "The times they are a-changin'". I love my PM.

Back to the gig. Shah Rukh Khan and Sachin Tendulkar along with Freida Pinto introduced Coldplay on stage after such a long wait the crowd had almost become restless. I was fortunate enough to win Yellow (co-incidece much? :p) zone tickets which is the closest you can get with a free ticket but it was still an entire Gold zone away from stage. On top of that, I got separated from my friends due to the massive crowd [and trust me, they have never been more alive. The "put your phones down" comment has been grossly taken out-of-context by the cancer that I consider twitter (sorry, users :p), Chris only said that during a segment (AOAL, I think) where he wanted everyone to jump with their hands up] so after Jay-Z (who was EPIC, even though I'm not a big fan of rap) I had almost given up on having a good view of stage. But believe in miracles because a person I'd befriended in the crowd saw how passionate I was about the band and allowed me to stand on an elevated platform that she was perched upon. If that wasn't enough, in what was pretty much an immovable crowd, mystically an opening appeared and I was just a row behind the barrier with a rather unobstructed view of stage among a couple people who seemed like proper Coldplay fans (in the sense, they'd heard the albums).

Now, to the music. I don't think I could've wished for a better setlist (apart from rarities but let's be real xD). They played songs they haven't played frequently in the AHFOD tour and it was just brilliant. My best-friend badly wanted ETIAW and his wish was granted. GPASUYF was such a rocker, with Chris reiterating that he's still a rockstar by tossing his electric guitar high up in the air after the performance. Always In My Head was a happy surprise which made the girl in front of me go almost as crazy as I did (I was screaming out lyrics at the top of my lungs and jumping continually and just generally over-exerting myself even though I was parched and dehydrated from standing in the scorching sun for so long without water but I didn't care because I knew Coldplay would give me the adrenaline to get through :) ) which was followed by an equally magical Magic. They performed the new Everglow with the Muhammad Ali tribute video at the end and the world stood still throughout. Clocks, to my surprise, had my favourite red lasers which I didn't expect because I doubted they'd go that high budget for Global Citizen but this show had the same amount of production as their normal AHFOD tour shows, remiss xylobands, and it was a sight for sore eyes. Charlie Brown was performed but Chris restarted because his guitar stopped working, his little errors just add to the enjoyment. :D During Heroes, I looked up at the sky and shouted "I love you David Bowie!". After that was break time where I proudly led the encore-call. Then when they played Don't Panic (Jonny sang as usual but for the first time Chris did not inform the crowd that Jonny was going to sing and request them to cheer him on as he's shy, which was strange) on B-stage I lost my shit when I recognised the guitar and started screaming the lyrics but everyone around me looked at me weird because they didn't recognise the song. xD This was followed by song-request time where I was silently praying my request gets chosen (even though the video I'd taken was awkward as hell; I'd requested Twisted Logic simply because I wanted to hear Chris scream that end live after seeing how epic it sounded when he played it with the A-sides recently) but I prayed a thank-you that it wasn't because after seeing what was chosen - I realised that's what I wanted to hear the most - one of my absolute favourites (Only Speed of Sound and Shiver can beat it), IN MY PLACE, and you guessed it I screamed like a mad-man! xD Even more so when I saw it was acoustic, though I missed the drums, as did my best-friend who's learning drumming. Somewhere in between this, band introduction happened in the cutest of ways starting with "The sexiest drummer in the world..." and ending with "...shoe-wearing Jonny Buckland!". After this is when us Indians experienced history in the making, Chris called A.R. Rahman who'd already performed ealier (And oh, what an out-of-world performance it was. It made me realise why he's so revered, innovative musical genius. You guys have to check out some of his work) to sing Vande Mataram which is like this anthem in India somehow everybody knows (kinda like Amazing Grace in the US) written in the 1800s when were under British-rule as a nationalism-inducing poem correctly translated above as "I praise thee, Mother (Bengal, state in India)" and Rahman's song "Maa Tujhe Salaam" ("Mother (India) I salute you"). It was spine-tingling when Rahman put the mic at Chris's mouth and he sang along with surprisingly great pronounciation. And needless to say, the crowd were ecstatic and of course, also singing along. After this was the usual concert conclusion of ASFOS (with the beautiful star confetti blast but I was too far away to see my sky full of stars :( I don't regret anything though) and Up&Up which was such a delight to witness live, when the fireworks were launched at the end I said to a friend who I'd managed to relocate "These are the moments when air pollution is justified".[emoji14]

Well, that's about it, guys. Easily the best day of my life. After the gig we had a group-hug and I hugged every friend I saw and I told the guy who was distributing "Love" badges (I grabbed a handful) that I love him and on reaching my building I gave the one pinned to my Coldplay (in MX font) tee (which a friend from the US sent me just for this gig, received it the day before, how thoughtful people can be :') ) to the security guard at the gate and I thanked a police officer at the venue and I told my parents I love them for the first time in my life and I called my girlfriend and sang "I just called to say I love you" and yeah, Coldplay can really change you. Amazing Day, the only song that I regret them not playing but yet funnily so I'm sure every person in the crowd still heard it, metaphorically of course. This concert came just when I needed it. 'Cause I've been living life inside a bubble. And watching them live burst that bubble of confusion and negativity and sunlight opened up my eyes, to see for the first time, it opened them up. (appropriate that I requested this song haha) I will not live my life in vain anymore. I pledge to be a messenger of peace and happiness just like Chris Martin and Leonardo Di Caprio and Elon Musk and many others. Thank you all for taking the time to read this, you guys are the nicest internet community I've stumbled across, really reflects the band as a whole. :)

PS: Don't worry about the Indian flag thing guys. When something is so pure, it's ought to attract negativity and things trying to corrupt it. I doubt there even are people who got offended by anything he did with the flag (maybe that's because HE DID NOTHING OFFENSIVE?!) but if there are, trust me they're a teeny-tiny minority because there are a great deal of sensible people here in India who receive love when it's being sent to them, it's just that they're quieter than the not-so-sensible ones who rage on Twitter and what-not and sites with no credibility whatsover (looking at you indiatimes -.-) just for attention. If anything, Coldplay have made a permanent best-friend in the form of India and we're waiting for Chris to keep to his promise which he made at the end of Up&Up, he said "We promise to come back and play in India again soon". And to conclude with lyrics from my favourite Coldplay song, I'll always be waiting.

• Like 12

Oh and yeah when I saw Roadie 42's post with Suhit's picture, I felt so happy for him because I'd seen how dedicatedly he was participating in the forum discussion. When I've waited for Coldplay as long as you have, I wish to meet them too! :D

Also, sorry about the earlier post being so lengthy. I kind of just lost myself and the words came pouring out haha. I have a psychology paper tomorrow though so I'm going to go study now. xD

• Like 2

Yeah. I read about that today and it's just horrible. I'm kind of from Patna. Even the explosion of a fuel-carrying truck in Mozambique two days back, killing 70. They were trying to steal fuel from an overturned truck because it's so expensive over there. Reading things like these just make me want to listen to Imagine and live in the idealistic world Lennon created instead.

• Like 1

I was there.

And I'm going give my best shot at describing to you wonderful people what I witnessed yesterday while I'm still fresh with a head full of dreams but before that, let me introduce myself as this is the first interaction I've ever had on these forums even though I've been a member and silently followed the happenings on Coldplaying for over a year now - best way to do that is by saying I'm the biggest fan of Coldplay in the world![emoji14]I waited so, so long for this gig I cannot possibly express the rush of blood to the head I experienced when I completely digested the fact that I was about to experience my favourite band, no, my favourite thing in the world, live. Let's jump right into it.

I'm a 17-year old Indian boy living in Mumbai and I've never felt prouder to admit that. When a band who's concerts you've stayed up nights to livestream suddenly decides to come to your country, and not just do that but ensure that they leave as the most loved and endeared group of foreigners to have ever braced your nation, that's when you know you're in for a taste of heaven on earth. And that is exactly what yesterday was. Coldplay's set was over in a jiffy but that moment encapsulated infinity within it.

Before I continue, I'd just like to take a moment to laud my PM Narendra Modi for being such a boss in his video-address to the crowd shortly before the long-awaited Coldplay set by starting his speech with "I know I'm standing between you and Coldplay so I'll keep this short..." and concluding by quoting Chris Martin's lyrics! "You can see the change you wanted, be what you want to be." [AHFOD] and "Under this pressure, under this weight. We are diamonds, taking shape. We are diamonds, taking shape." [AOAL] Also, I'm not sure but I think he also quoted Bob Dylan as he did mention him as one of his influences (along with CM) during his address and he used the phrase "The times they are a-changin'". I love my PM.

Back to the gig. Shah Rukh Khan and Sachin Tendulkar along with Freida Pinto introduced Coldplay on stage after such a long wait the crowd had almost become restless. I was fortunate enough to win Yellow (co-incidece much? :P) zone which is the closest you can get with a free ticket but it was still an entire Gold zone away from stage. On top of that, I got separated from my friends due to the massive crowd [and trust me, they have never been more alive. The "put your phones down" comment has been grossly taken out-of-context by the cancer that I consider twitter (sorry, users :P), Chris only said that during a segment (AOAL, I think) where he wanted everyone to jump with their hands up] so after Jay-Z (who was EPIC, even though I'm not a big fan of rap) I had almost given up on having a good view of stage. But believe in miracles because a person I'd befriended in the crowd saw how passionate I was about the band and allowed me to stand on an elevated platform that she was perched upon. If that wasn't enough, in what was pretty much an immovable crowd, mystically an opening appeared and I was just a row behind the barrier with a rather unobstructed view of stage among a couple people who seemed like proper Coldplay fans (in the sense, they'd heard the albums).

Now, to the music. I don't think I could've wished for a better setlist (apart from rarities but let's be real xD). They played songs they haven't played frequently in the AHFOD tour and it was just brilliant. My best-friend badly wanted ETIAW and his wish was granted. GPASUYF was such a rocker, with Chris reiterating that he's still a rockstar by tossing his electric guitar high up in the air after the performance. Always In My Head was a happy surprise which made the girl in front of me go almost as crazy as I did (I was screaming out lyrics at the top of my lungs and jumping continually and just generally over-exerting myself even though I was parched and dehydrated from standing in the scorching sun for so long without water but I didn't care because I knew Coldplay would give me the adrenaline to get through :) ) which was followed by an equally magical Magic. They performed the new Everglow with the Muhammad Ali tribute video at the and the world stood still throughout. Clocks, to my surprise, had my favourite red lasers which I didn't expect because I doubted they'd go that high budget for Global Citizen but this show had the same amount of production as their normal AHFOD tour shows, remiss xylobands, and it was a sight for sore eyes. Charlie Brown was performed but Chris restarted because his guitar stopped working, his little errors just add to the enjoyment. :D During Heroes, I looked up at the sky and shouted "I love you David Bowie!". After that was break time where I proudly led the encore-call. Then when they played Don't Panic (Jonny sang as usual but for the first time Chris did not inform the crowd that Jonny was going to sing and request them to cheer him on as he's shy, which was strange) on B-stage I lost my shit when I recognised the guitar and started screaming the lyrics but everyone around me looked at me weird because they didn't recognise the song. xD This was followed by song-request time where I was silently praying my request gets chosen (even though the video I'd taken was awkward as hell; I'd requested Twisted Logic simply because I wanted to hear Chris scream that end live after seeing how epic it sounded when he played it with the A-sides recently) but I prayed a thank-you that it wasn't because after seeing what was chosen - I realised that's what I wanted to hear the most - one of my absolute favourites (Only Speed of Sound and Shiver can beat it), IN MY PLACE, and you guessed it I screamed like a mad-man! xD Even more so when I saw it was acoustic, though I missed the drums, as did my best-friend who's learning drumming. Somewhere in between this, band introduction happened in the cutest of ways starting with "The sexiest drummer in the world..." and ending with "...shoe-wearing Jonny Buckland!". After this is when us Indians experienced history in the making, Chris called A.R. Rahman who'd already performed ealier (And oh, what an out-of-world performance it was. It made me realise why he's so revered, innovative musical genius. You guys have to check out some of his work) to sing Vande Mataram which is like this anthem in India somehow everybody knows (kinda like Amazing Grace in the US) written in the 1800s when were under British-rule as a nationalism-inducing poem correctly translated above as "I praise thee, Mother (Bengal, state in India)" and Rahman's song "Maa Tujhe Salaam" ("Mother (India) I salute you"). It was spine-tingling when Rahman put the mic at Chris's mouth and he sang along with surprisingly great pronounciation. And needless to say, the crowd were ecstatic and of course, also singing along. After this was the usual concert conclusion of ASFOS (with the beautiful star confetti blast but I was too far away to see my sky full of stars :( I don't regret anything though) and Up&Up which was such a delight to witness live, when the fireworks were launched at the end I said to a friend who I'd managed to relocate "These are the moments when air pollution is justified".[emoji14]

Well, that's about it, guys. Easily the best day of my life. After the gig we had a group-hug and I hugged every friend I saw and I told the guy who was distributing "Love" badges (I grabbed a handful) that I love him and on reaching my building I gave the one pinned to my Coldplay (in MX font) tee (which a friend from the US sent me just for this gig, received it the day before, how thoughtful people can be :') ) to the security guard at the gate and I thanked a police officer at the venue and I told my parents I love them for the first time in my life and I called my girlfriend and sang "I just called to say I love you" and yeah, Coldplay can really change you. Amazing Day, the only song that I regret them not playing but yet funnily so I'm sure every person in the crowd still heard it, metaphorically of course. This concert came just when I needed it. 'Cause I've been living life inside a bubble. And watching them live burst that bubble of confusion and negativity and sunlight opened up my eyes, to see for the first time, it opened them up. (appropriate that I requested this song haha) I will not live my life in vain anymore. I pledge to be a messenger of peace and happiness just like Chris Martin and Leonardo Di Caprio and Elon Musk and many others. Thank you all for taking the time to read this, you guys are the nicest internet community I've stumbled across, really reflects the band as a whole. :)

PS: Don't worry about the Indian flag thing guys. When something is so pure, it's ought to attract negativity and things trying to corrupt it. I doubt there even are people who got offended by anything he did with the flag (maybe that's because HE DID NOTHING OFFENSIVE?!) but if there are, trust me they're a teeny-tiny minority because there are a great deal of sensible people here in India who receive love when it's being sent to them, it's just that they're quieter than the not-so-sensible ones who rage on Twitter and what-not and sites with no credibility whatsover (looking at you indiatimes -.-) just for attention. If anything, then Coldplay have made a permanent best-friend in the form of India and we're waiting for Chris to keep to his promise which he made at the end of Up&Up, he said "We promise to come back and play in India again". And to conclude with lyrics from my favourite Coldplay song, I'll always be waiting.

I'm really happy for you bud!

• Like 1

It was amazing!!! Shit, I knew it would be great but this was insane!! I was standing all the way at the back, but the energy even amongst the people there was amazing!

I'll try to write up a longer review soon, but I'm still reeling from the show 24 hours later. I'm also quite depressed that it's over now :/

This whole flag shit is stupid btw. There's nothing wrong with what Chris did. Haters be dumb.

• Like 10

Thanks @ChrisMartinFan and @Square1.36 for letting us see this experience through your eyes.

I've read it with a big smile upon my face.

Looks like you had a wonderful adventure.

Glad to know the story behind the "phones-and-flag-incidents".

I haven't seen that much pictures and footage from the concert and only saw Chris waving the flag on that stick and being draped over the piano.

For me that would be a token of respect to my country. But I can understand if it isn't for others.

But I'm sure they didn't mean to be disrespectful and they will be more careful about this in the future.

Chris telling people to put away their phones just because they are bothering him... that's so not Chris.

So there must have been a good explanation.

"When something is so pure, it's ought to attract negativity and things trying to corrupt it."

So true, but we must let the positivity take the upper hand and "Believe In Love".

I think Coldplay has done a good job over there in India.

@Suhit, I'm looking forward to your story. :)

• Like 2

Holy shit!!! Best night ever alhrdhkydv

Running to the airport to catch my flight back now. More details to come soon

The band was absofuckinglutely fantastic adhghkkk. They pulled out all stops even though it was for the festival. Lasers, confetti, balloons, fireworks everything (Except the xylobands). The setlist was a typical full concert setlist with in my place as the instagram request, gpasuyf, don't panic, heroes, the paradise remix, sky full of stars started with Chris singing a famous hindi song with adorably terrible pronunciation and they did a collab with A. R Rehman on a song Indians adore called vande Mataram (translates to 'I praise you, mother India'). It was such a generous, beautiful thing for them to do <3

I hope Chris doesn't get into trouble because of the flag D: I was so worried as soon as I saw it tucked in his waistband D: there are way too many idiots here with political motivations who will try and use it as an excuse to create a controversy to and somehow use it as leverage against the prime minister :(

And the audience was absolutely amazing. At least the ones in my immediate surroundings (I was at the back though and it's mostly the audience at the front who were being recorded so idk). Every single person around me knew every lyric to every song except always in my head, in my place and gpasuyf :P and Chris had asked us to hold our phones up at the start of paradise and then asked us to put it away just before the remix so we could dance. His comment has been taken out of context lol.

I haven't watched the stream yet but it isn't impossible that we sound dead there. They sometimes mute the audience so you can hear the band better or maybe the recording equipment was far away idk lol. At least live the experience was amazing, I could barely hear Chris on some of the songs over the audience :'D

The band was absolutely flawless. Nobody messed up (well besides Chris ''breaking his guitar string'' and wanting us to do the Charlie Brown jumping bit again :'D). And they sounded so fucking beautiful on every song afhftingtkhe

It still feels like a dream adbhfikjf but such a beautiful dream D:

And Jay Z was pretty incredible live too! I'm not really a rap fan and wasn't expecting to enjoy his performance so it was a pleasant surprise :D

I just read your review lol I love the similarities between our accounts on the event! :DAlso yes it was Paradise! Not AOAL as I'd said earlier. Only the second time I'm hearing the Tiesto mix, last was last week at the London Paladium which I'd streamed live at 2 am lol. I don't particularly like the beats (cos I'll be honest, I'm intolerant to most mainstream EDM) but I love what sounds like him singing something rather incoherent repeatedly. Do you guys have any clue what he sings during it? Thanks in advance!

I just read your review lol I love the similarities between our accounts on the event! :DAlso yes it was Paradise! Not AOAL as I'd said earlier. Only the second time I'm hearing the Tiesto mix, last was last week at the London Paladium which I'd streamed live at 2 am lol. I don't particularly like the beats (cos I'll be honest, I'm intolerant to most mainstream EDM) but I love what sounds like him singing something rather incoherent repeatedly. Do you guys have any clue what he sings during it? Thanks in advance!

It's just bits of what he sings in Paradise. Like "in the ni i i ight, flew away ay ay ay, close her eyes eye eye eye, say oh oh oh oh" etc

• Like 1

In this interview, Chris explains so wonderfully why Coldplay have not come to India for so long. The currency inequality thing he mentioned makes complete sense! And here I was thinking (a year back) that Coldplay hates India and that's why they'll never come. And what he said responding to the uncalled for HFTW controversy, "I think I'm used now to the idea that anything anybody does, someone won't like". There's our answer to entire flag bs!

Also, which place do y'all think he was referring to when he said he tried to get the band there but it didn't work out?

• Like 1

It's just bits of what he sings in Paradise. Like "in the ni i i ight, flew away ay ay ay, close her eyes eye eye eye, say oh oh oh oh" etc

Ohh thank you, but damn does it sound great! But does he sing it or is it a recording? I couldn't make out due to the flashing lights.

• Like 1

Guest diogo_sg
I was there.

I'm a 17-year old Indian boy living in Mumbai and I've never felt prouder to admit that. When a band who's concerts you've stayed up nights to livestream suddenly decides to come to your country, and not just do that but ensure that they leave as the most loved and endeared group of foreigners to have ever braced your nation, that's when you know you're in for a taste of heaven on earth. And that is exactly what yesterday was. Coldplay's set was over in a jiffy but that moment encapsulated infinity within it.

Back to the gig. Shah Rukh Khan and Sachin Tendulkar along with Freida Pinto introduced Coldplay on stage after such a long wait the crowd had almost become restless. I was fortunate enough to win Yellow (co-incidece much? :P) zone which is the closest you can get with a free ticket but it was still an entire Gold zone away from stage. On top of that, I got separated from my friends due to the massive crowd [and trust me, they have never been more alive. The "put your phones down" comment has been grossly taken out-of-context by the cancer that I consider twitter (sorry, users :P), Chris only said that during a segment (AOAL, I think) where he wanted everyone to jump with their hands up] so after Jay-Z (who was EPIC, even though I'm not a big fan of rap) I had almost given up on having a good view of stage. But believe in miracles because a person I'd befriended in the crowd saw how passionate I was about the band and allowed me to stand on an elevated platform that she was perched upon. If that wasn't enough, in what was pretty much an immovable crowd, mystically an opening appeared and I was just a row behind the barrier with a rather unobstructed view of stage among a couple people who seemed like proper Coldplay fans (in the sense, they'd heard the albums).

Now, to the music. I don't think I could've wished for a better setlist (apart from rarities but let's be real xD). They played songs they haven't played frequently in the AHFOD tour and it was just brilliant. My best-friend badly wanted ETIAW and his wish was granted. GPASUYF was such a rocker, with Chris reiterating that he's still a rockstar by tossing his electric guitar high up in the air after the performance. Always In My Head was a happy surprise which made the girl in front of me go almost as crazy as I did (I was screaming out lyrics at the top of my lungs and jumping continually and just generally over-exerting myself even though I was parched and dehydrated from standing in the scorching sun for so long without water but I didn't care because I knew Coldplay would give me the adrenaline to get through :) ) which was followed by an equally magical Magic. They performed the new Everglow with the Muhammad Ali tribute video at the and the world stood still throughout. Clocks, to my surprise, had my favourite red lasers which I didn't expect because I doubted they'd go that high budget for Global Citizen but this show had the same amount of production as their normal AHFOD tour shows, remiss xylobands, and it was a sight for sore eyes. Charlie Brown was performed but Chris restarted because his guitar stopped working, his little errors just add to the enjoyment. :D During Heroes, I looked up at the sky and shouted "I love you David Bowie!". After that was break time where I proudly led the encore-call. Then when they played Don't Panic (Jonny sang as usual but for the first time Chris did not inform the crowd that Jonny was going to sing and request them to cheer him on as he's shy, which was strange) on B-stage I lost my shit when I recognised the guitar and started screaming the lyrics but everyone around me looked at me weird because they didn't recognise the song. xD This was followed by song-request time where I was silently praying my request gets chosen (even though the video I'd taken was awkward as hell; I'd requested Twisted Logic simply because I wanted to hear Chris scream that end live after seeing how epic it sounded when he played it with the A-sides recently) but I prayed a thank-you that it wasn't because after seeing what was chosen - I realised that's what I wanted to hear the most - one of my absolute favourites (Only Speed of Sound and Shiver can beat it), IN MY PLACE, and you guessed it I screamed like a mad-man! xD Even more so when I saw it was acoustic, though I missed the drums, as did my best-friend who's learning drumming. Somewhere in between this, band introduction happened in the cutest of ways starting with "The sexiest drummer in the world..." and ending with "...shoe-wearing Jonny Buckland!". After this is when us Indians experienced history in the making, Chris called A.R. Rahman who'd already performed ealier (And oh, what an out-of-world performance it was. It made me realise why he's so revered, innovative musical genius. You guys have to check out some of his work) to sing Vande Mataram which is like this anthem in India somehow everybody knows (kinda like Amazing Grace in the US) written in the 1800s when were under British-rule as a nationalism-inducing poem correctly translated above as "I praise thee, Mother (Bengal, state in India)" and Rahman's song "Maa Tujhe Salaam" ("Mother (India) I salute you"). It was spine-tingling when Rahman put the mic at Chris's mouth and he sang along with surprisingly great pronounciation. And needless to say, the crowd were ecstatic and of course, also singing along. After this was the usual concert conclusion of ASFOS (with the beautiful star confetti blast but I was too far away to see my sky full of stars :( I don't regret anything though) and Up&Up which was such a delight to witness live, when the fireworks were launched at the end I said to a friend who I'd managed to relocate "These are the moments when air pollution is justified".[emoji14]

PS: Don't worry about the Indian flag thing guys. When something is so pure, it's ought to attract negativity and things trying to corrupt it. I doubt there even are people who got offended by anything he did with the flag (maybe that's because HE DID NOTHING OFFENSIVE?!) but if there are, trust me they're a teeny-tiny minority because there are a great deal of sensible people here in India who receive love when it's being sent to them, it's just that they're quieter than the not-so-sensible ones who rage on Twitter and what-not and sites with no credibility whatsover (looking at you indiatimes -.-) just for attention. If anything, then Coldplay have made a permanent best-friend in the form of India and we're waiting for Chris to keep to his promise which he made at the end of Up&Up, he said "We promise to come back and play in India again". And to conclude with lyrics from my favourite Coldplay song, I'll always be waiting.

This...this is one of the most beautiful reviews I've ever read. Thank you for writing this. I'm so happy for you!! [emoji4]