✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-11-19] Coldplay headline Global Citizen Festival in India

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info about the Voot app, @Gideon_Mx. And thanks for the words, @oldiefan. In the end I couldn't make watching it live today (and it seems there was no reliable livestream anyway ?) but let's hope there will be a video.

Yeah, there is lots of flag outrage on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=coldplay flag&src=typd

We know of course that it was actually meant as a sign of respect and is something he does with every country that Coldplay perform in, and I have to say I wouldn't have thought it is considered disrespectful in India until I read this. In retrospect of course it was a mistake and the tour team should have researched the Indian flag-related customs better. Hope this won't blow up into something big.

• Like 3

They should lose heroes and play violet Hill instead.. With all respect to David bowe

Sent from my LG-H815 using Coldplaying mobile app

Yeah, there should be rockier songs in the setlist, like Politik, Square One, Talk, etc. Plus, Im pretty sure God Put a Smile has officially switched with Birds on the setlists for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

woah the crowd is this dead that chris actually said this

[MEDIA=twitter]800000862772834304[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ankitabardhan/status/800000862772834304

Really?! I hope this doesn't sound rude but maybe this is something that hardly will happen again on their country that they want to have as much as they can on their phones...

The crowd is so dead that Chris actually said "nobody said it was easy" in The Scientist

I completely agree with @alisbe here. I think it's highly unfair to say "crowd is dead" or something.

Everyone has his own way to enjoy a concert, some people do so by living the moment and dancing and jumping as if there was no tomorrow, others (myself included, to be honest) by standing more quietly in amazement and trying to be very attentive and take everything in as well as filming parts as a souvenir.

Some of these people have been Coldplay fans for 16 years and have never had the chance to see them live until today, and know it may be their only chance. I'm not surprised many people wanna capture this on their phones, they are not "dead", they are just enjoying it in a different way.

• Like 4

I completely agree with @alisbe here. I think it's highly unfair to say "crowd is dead" or something.

it was an observation made by the indian audience watching on tv as well. there is a difference between watching a live event that was so hyped through the small screen of your phone and quietly enjoying the show. notice how chris asked everyone to put their phones away. indian crowds can get down and have fun. and i'm pretty sure they did. not meant to be a slight to anyone. just an observation.

• Like 2

I seen a lot of comments about the crowd being "dead" but from the small snippets I have seen from the crowd you can hear them singing and cheering or whatever but the sound quality from the tv recording the sound is not very good and it sounds really quiet. It really is hard to tell so hopefully there is better quality videos coming

Shame about the flag aswell but no way would Chris want to cause offence. I guess it's just habit as he does it every where so hopefully the fact the flag changed means he was made aware and changed it as soon as he could. Hopefully nothing huge will come of it.

• Like 2

I seen a lot of comments about the crowd being "dead" but from the small snippets I have seen from the crowd you can hear them singing and cheering or whatever but the sound quality from the tv recording the sound is not very good and it sounds really quiet. It really is hard to tell so hopefully there is better quality videos coming

yeah, the start of charlie brown looked good. with "1, 2, 3, jump" jumping :)

Thanks for the info about the Voot app, @Gideon_Mx. And thanks for the words, @oldiefan. In the end I couldn't make watching it live today (and it seems there was no reliable livestream anyway ?) but let's hope there will be a video.

Yeah, there is lots of flag outrage on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=coldplay flag&src=typd

We know of course that it was actually meant as a sign of respect and is something he does with every country that Coldplay perform in, and I have to say I wouldn't have thought it is considered disrespectful in India until I read this. In retrospect of course it was a mistake and the tour team should have researched the Indian flag-related customs better. Hope this won't blow up into something big.

Woops ! Oh dear... it looks like a bit of a storm has blown up. Poor Chris, just trying to do his bit . Funny no other country objected to his flag waving.

I found something everyone !!!! It's not in the best quality but we at least have something of the show, here's A HEad Full Of Dreams and Yellow !

Note: the audio is a bit weird because when it's more quite it gets even more quite if you know what I mean :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QIWlYhdIcg

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/4QIWlYhdIcg

• Like 1

Frankly, the way Chris treated the American flag (for example) was also disrespectful

Can you explain in which way ?

I'm just curious because in my country I have the impression not much value is placed on the flag (perhaps due to our history), so I would like to hear what others think.

Frankly, the way Chris treated the American flag (for example) was also disrespectful, but I didnt see anyone getting offended. People need to chill and understand he means no harm

I'm not very familiar with Indian tradition and law but it seems that the way theirs are treated is taken seriously. I alsp think that some people might just keep pouncing on Coldplay because of HFTW video and the controversy that @iranaway has mentioned.

I'm just curious because in my country I have the impression not much value is placed on the flag (perhaps due to our history), so I would like to hear what others think.

Ex. in my country people care about our symbols like hymn or flag more (that's my impression). We hang them on our houses during state holidays and make sure that they're clean and tidy. So seeing someone rolling on it, throwing it or flourishing it can seem disrespectful. I don't really care about it but my mom, even though she understands that it wasn't meant to be offencive, wouldn't be very happy about it.

• Like 1

Holy shit!!! Best night ever alhrdhkydv

Running to the airport to catch my flight back now. More details to come soon

The band was absofuckinglutely fantastic adhghkkk. They pulled out all stops even though it was for the festival. Lasers, confetti, balloons, fireworks everything (Except the xylobands). The setlist was a typical full concert setlist with in my place as the instagram request, gpasuyf, don't panic, heroes, the paradise remix, sky full of stars started with Chris singing a famous hindi song with adorably terrible pronunciation and they did a collab with A. R Rehman on a song Indians adore called vande Mataram (translates to 'I praise you, mother India'). It was such a generous, beautiful thing for them to do <3

I hope Chris doesn't get into trouble because of the flag D: I was so worried as soon as I saw it tucked in his waistband D: there are way too many idiots here with political motivations who will try and use it as an excuse to create a controversy to and somehow use it as leverage against the prime minister :(

And the audience was absolutely amazing. At least the ones in my immediate surroundings (I was at the back though and it's mostly the audience at the front who were being recorded so idk). Every single person around me knew every lyric to every song except always in my head, in my place and gpasuyf :P and Chris had asked us to hold our phones up at the start of paradise and then asked us to put it away just before the remix so we could dance. His comment has been taken out of context lol.

I haven't watched the stream yet but it isn't impossible that we sound dead there. They sometimes mute the audience so you can hear the band better or maybe the recording equipment was far away idk lol. At least live the experience was amazing, I could barely hear Chris on some of the songs over the audience :'D

The band was absolutely flawless. Nobody messed up (well besides Chris ''breaking his guitar string'' and wanting us to do the Charlie Brown jumping bit again :'D). And they sounded so fucking beautiful on every song afhftingtkhe

It still feels like a dream adbhfikjf but such a beautiful dream D:

And Jay Z was pretty incredible live too! I'm not really a rap fan and wasn't expecting to enjoy his performance so it was a pleasant surprise :D

• Like 10

Can feel the excitement ChrisMartinFan. Glad you had an amazing time. The videos and clips certainly don't do it justice so it's good to hear from someone who was actually there. Hopefully the flag thing will blow over. Chris was everywhere the past few days it seemed visiting the school etc and brought a lot of publicity, it would be a shame for one minor slip up with the flag to dampen what seemed like a very successful trip

• Like 1

The band was absofuckinglutely fantastic adhghkkk. They pulled out all stops even though it was for the festival. Lasers, confetti, balloons, fireworks everything (Except the xylobands). The setlist was a typical full concert setlist with in my place as the instagram request, gpasuyf, don't panic, heroes, the paradise remix, sky full of stars started with Chris singing a famous hindi song with adorably terrible pronunciation and they did a collab with A. R Rehman on a song Indians adore called vande Mataram (translates to 'I praise you, mother India'). It was such a generous, beautiful thing for them to do <3

I hope Chris doesn't get into trouble because of the flag D: I was so worried as soon as I saw it tucked in his waistband D: there are way too many idiots here with political motivations who will try and use it as an excuse to create a controversy to and somehow use it as leverage against the prime minister :(

And the audience was absolutely amazing. At least the ones in my immediate surroundings (I was at the back though and it's mostly the audience at the front who were being recorded so idk). Every single person around me knew every lyric to every song except always in my head, in my place and gpasuyf [emoji14] and Chris had asked us to hold our phones up at the start of paradise and then asked us to put it away just before the remix so we could dance. His comment has been taken out of context lol.

I haven't watched the stream yet but it isn't impossible that we sound dead there. They sometimes mute the audience so you can hear the band better or maybe the recording equipment was far away idk lol. At least live the experience was amazing, I could barely hear Chris on some of the songs over the audience :'D

The band was absolutely flawless. Nobody messed up (well besides Chris ''breaking his guitar string'' and wanting us to do the Charlie Brown jumping bit again :'D). And they sounded so fucking beautiful on every song afhftingtkhe

And Jay Z was pretty incredible live too! I'm not really a rap fan and wasn't expecting to enjoy his performance so it was a pleasant surprise :D

Have a safe journey home :)

• Like 1

Frankly, the way Chris treated the American flag (for example) was also disrespectful, but I didnt see anyone getting offended. People need to chill and understand he means no harm

i feel like in the US people are really weird about the flag. i never hear people complain about how it gets used unless it's in some sort of protest and even then the complaints always reference the military? like if you're disrespecting the flag because you're against something then you're disrespecting our vets who fight for your freedom and your right to protest in the first place.

but we can slap it on a bunch of merch all day long and no one cares. actually that seems to be encouraged :P

And the audience was absolutely amazing. At least the ones in my immediate surroundings (I was at the back though and it's mostly the audience at the front who were being recorded so idk). Every single person around me knew every lyric to every song except always in my head, in my place and gpasuyf :P and Chris had asked us to hold our phones up at the start of paradise and then asked us to put it away just before the remix so we could dance. His comment has been taken out of context lol.

ahhhhh! i'm so glad you had a great time!!! and it's nice to be able to hear from someone who was there regarding the seemingly controversial parts of the performance :P

• Like 2

Ex. in my country people care about our symbols like hymn or flag more (that's my impression). We hang them on our houses during state holidays and make sure that they're clean and tidy. So seeing someone rolling on it, throwing it or flourishing it can seem disrespectful. I don't really care about it but my mom, even though she understands that it wasn't meant to be offencive, wouldn't be very happy about it.

I should have added that despite that, if some people feel offended, their beliefs are nowhere near as 'strong' as they are now after the festival. I hope it makes sense - it's 3 a.m. here so I might not be thinking properly... goodnight!

Thanks for this review. This reminded me to listen to other's opinions before saying my point of view. I'm so happy you had the opportunity to enjoy the AHFOD tour! You really had an amazing day!!!

• Like 1

that sounds absolutely great! glad you had a great time. and thanks for clearing the phone comment. mental note, never take social media as a valid source of information lol

anyway, looks like the band is already out of the country. read they raised $5+ billion for global citizen india. the important thing is, the hard work of bringing the festival to india seem to have served its purpose. now to really affect change and do the real work.

• Like 1