✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who missed it, they played SJLT at the Manchester tribute gig. I and others following along in the live thread thought there was something different about the song this time they played it. In a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGX85CBSBnE

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGX85CBSBnE&feature=youtu.be

this doesn't make exact sense, but the only way i can think to describe it is "clearer," somehow it seems clearer than the studio version

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just read through this entire thread and it was a good laugh to say the least.

Especially the parts where some people said: “Well at least it won’t be on Kaleidoscope EP!”

IMHO, SJLT was a good strategic decision for the band for KEP popularity (The chainsmokers got used even though it seems the chainsmokers used them). I can see where people say it’s rubbish compared to past work but the problem is that you cannot compare SJLT to their previous work because they have evolved from the AROBTTH and X & Y days altogether. It would be a bad move for them to return to making and releasing songs of this nature in the 2018 and in the future because it’s not relevant as the years of 2002 - 2005.

So the bottom line is if you don’t like the song, then you’re not adaptable like Coldplay.

• Like 2

I just read through this entire thread and it was a good laugh to say the least.

Especially the parts where some people said: “Well at least it won’t be on Kaleidoscope EP!”

IMHO, SJLT was a good strategic decision for the band for KEP popularity (The chainsmokers got used even though it seems the chainsmokers used them). I can see where people say it’s rubbish compared to past work but the problem is that you cannot compare SJLT to their previous work because they have evolved from the AROBTTH and X & Y days altogether. It would be a bad move for them to return to making and releasing songs of this nature in the 2018 and in the future because it’s not relevant as the years of 2002 - 2005.

So the bottom line is if you don’t like the song, then you’re not adaptable like Coldplay.

I disagree. If you like Coldplay, then chances are you ARE adaptable, because there existed a pretty substantial evolution from album to album... especially if you compare Parachutes up to X&Y, up to VLV, MX, GS, etc. All very different albums yet with the same signature Coldplay sound.

I think people who don't like SJLT think it's not very inventive or true to Coldplay form. This is just my opinion, but I don't think the Chainsmokers are very talented, relative to the people Coldplay have associated with in the past. (Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Kanye, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Johnny Cash). It feels like the aim of SJLT was to create something popular-sounding and not terribly inventive. Sure, you could say VLV and Paradise are very pop sounding/intended for a mainstream audience, but they were fairly inventive and unique at the time.

It was strategic for KEP popularity, if that was their intention, but why do Coldplay need to validate their popularity?

I guess I'm just salty that Chris would rather make pop music with The Chainsmokers than challenge themselves and make something more unique.

• Like 4

I disagree. If you like Coldplay, then chances are you ARE adaptable, because there existed a pretty substantial evolution from album to album... especially if you compare Parachutes up to X&Y, up to VLV, MX, GS, etc. All very different albums yet with the same signature Coldplay sound.

I think people who don't like SJLT think it's not very inventive or true to Coldplay form. This is just my opinion, but I don't think the Chainsmokers are very talented, relative to the people Coldplay have associated with in the past. (Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Kanye, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Johnny Cash). It feels like the aim of SJLT was to create something popular-sounding and not terribly inventive. Sure, you could say VLV and Paradise are very pop sounding/intended for a mainstream audience, but they were fairly inventive and unique at the time.

It was strategic for KEP popularity, if that was their intention, but why do Coldplay need to validate their popularity?

I guess I'm just salty that Chris would rather make pop music with The Chainsmokers than challenge themselves and make something more unique.

I think Coldplay are already doing that.

Coldplay can do a song with anybody and it would still be a freaking fantastic song. Even if it was with Tove Lo.

P.S: Tove Lo is even worse than The Chainsmokers.

• Like 1

I think Coldplay are already doing that.

Coldplay can do a song with anybody and it would still be a freaking fantastic song. Even if it was with Tove Lo.

P.S: Tove Lo is even worse than The Chainsmokers.

Hey at least Tove Lo can sing. The Chainsmokers legitimately either get someone else to sing a different song over the same chords, or use autotune. Neither of them are able to sing.

Not a fan of huge fan of either of those collabs though. Fun is okay, but it's just super corny.

What I see on this thread is a bunch of people who most possibly aren't artists themselves and they judge a band that has managed year after year to stay relevant without relying on gimmicks or controversies. You reach one point in your life where you don't want to do the same thing again over and over, especially when you are a recording artist where you have a label pushing you to do specific stuff. Coldplay is at this point in their career where they can do literally whatever they want. If they feel like they want to do something different than what is in the lines of their album, they just go for it. This is the case with SJLT aswell. This is a good thing. Why everybody tries to disguise it as a bad thing or shame them for it it's something I just don't understand. You should be ashamed to criticise an artist for it's freedom of choice.

• Like 2

What I see on this thread is a bunch of people who most possibly aren't artists themselves and they judge a band that has managed year after year to stay relevant without relying on gimmicks or controversies. You reach one point in your life where you don't want to do the same thing again over and over, especially when you are a recording artist where you have a label pushing you to do specific stuff. Coldplay is at this point in their career where they can do literally whatever they want. If they feel like they want to do something different than what is in the lines of their album, they just go for it. This is the case with SJLT aswell. This is a good thing. Why everybody tries to disguise it as a bad thing or shame them for it it's something I just don't understand. You should be ashamed to criticise an artist for it's freedom of choice.

They are free to make whatever they want, just as much as we are free to not like SJLT and wish they didn't make music with The Chainsmokers, just as much as you are free to like SJLT and the direction of the band.

• Like 3

People who don't like Coldplay changing their sound all the time have surely stopped following them years ago, because they've never made two albums that sound the same and they'll (hopefully) never do it. I think the main problem people have with this particular song is just that it's a collab with an artist that hasn't really proven anything yet and just scored a lot of streams when they first emerged, making the whole thing sound an awful lot like a bit of cheap sell out?

I'm more than okay with them changing their sound. In fact I find bands that just make the same album 5 times incredibly uninteresting. My problem with SJLT is just.. a personal disdain towards The Chainsmokers. They're two nobodies that discovered the recipe to make a hit, used that recipe 10+ times and plastered some lyrics ranging from utterly generic to downright cringy over it lol. Indeed, the band are free to do whatever the hell they want, but this particular move really disappointed me.

• Like 4

I don't think anyone on here has said Coldplay don't have a right to make whatever music they want, that's just ridiculous.

It's completely fair to criticize music, even if you aren't a musical artist, as you suggest. It's like saying you can't have a political opinion if you are not a politician.

No one is judging or shaming them as people, a lot of us are just disappointed in the song and collaboration choice. We are all still Coldplay fans at the end of the day, and they will always be my favorite band. But that doesn't mean I have to like or agree with everything they do.

• Like 6

Hey at least Tove Lo can sing. The Chainsmokers legitimately either get someone else to sing a different song over the same chords, or use autotune. Neither of them are able to sing.

Not a fan of huge fan of either of those collabs though. Fun is okay, but it's just super corny.

It is so interesting how differently songs are interpreted.

I will admit at first I also wasn't a fan of Fun. But after I understood more about what went down between Chris and his ex wife it made sense to me and then it broke my heart a bit. So without understanding context it might seem corny but then I realized it just might be a plea not to think a relationship was a waste just because it was over. That was powerful to me.

It is so interesting how differently songs are interpreted.

I will admit at first I also wasn't a fan of Fun. But after I understood more about what went down between Chris and his ex wife it made sense to me and then it broke my heart a bit. So without understanding context it might seem corny but then I realized it just might be a plea not to think a relationship was a waste just because it was over. That was powerful to me.

That's a good point about songs being interpreted differently with different contexts.

I get that it's about Gwyneth and the whole album is truly about trying to take away positives from a relationship that's over (after the immediate denial and pain of GS). But Chris has written much more powerful music in the past that really conveys the pain/hope/fear he felt.

Fun is just a corny title to being with, imo, regardless of the content of the song. The song is a really good idea, but the execution was meh. The melody is just too...poppy... for the subject matter. That could mostly have to do with Stargate's production (and Coldplay's willingness to let them turn the songs into what they became) But Idk, feel free to disagree. The only redeeming qualities of the song is the idea behind it, how great Tove Lo's voice complements Chris', and the last line "maybe we could again"- really makes you wonder what Chris is feeling there.

• Like 1