✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

I haven't been on here forever :dizzy:

Anyway, I love this song! Tbh I was extremely sceptical when I first heard about the collaboration because of what Avicii did with True Believer (and that Closer song which hurts my ears).

But then I heard it and I was pleasantly surprised. And the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It makes me happy and want to dance. I'm not sure yet if I'll love it as much as ASfoS or if I'll get tired of it in a bit but for now I really really like it.

The beat and drop are the worst part and sound like literally every other chainsmokers song ever made. But the melody is lovely and Chris' voice is amazing as usual AND JONNY KILLING IT AT THE END! Jonny is the best part of the song honestly.

And I find the lyrics really sweet. They might not be the most poignant but not everything has to be.

My interpretation is that it's about staying true to yourself and not trying to change yourself just to win someone over because when the right people come along they'll love you for who you are, flaws and all.

Initially he's talking about how as a child he used to read all these books about superheroes and wonder why he wasn't like them and why he was full of shortcomings. And as he grew older that feeling stayed with him. He thought that he had to be something more, had to change himself to please everyone. To feel deserving of the things he has. But then this person comes into his life and loves him for who he is ''I'm not looking for somebody with some superhuman gifts. Some superhero. Some fairytale bliss. Just someone I can turn to. Somebody I can kiss". She doesn't want a storybook romance or him to to push himself and prove his worth to her. She just wants him to be there for her as himself. Just the way he is.

It's honestly such a sweet song?! Especially with all the lyrics about clubs and loving women for their bodies (looking at you Ed Sheeran) these days.

I think the reason I like it so much is because of how earnest it sounds. Despite being a dance song it feels really heartfelt (that might just be because of Chris' voice though, he makes everything sound emotional :3 )

Plus it makes me feel something (unlike PoC for example :p). I wasn't expecting it to because of who the collaboration was with but it still manages to. In this case that feeling is happiness :')

Also the boys killed it at the Brits :heart_eyes: I love how easy it was to forget the Chainsmokers existed as soon as the curtain dropped and the boys appeared :')

Anyway, off to play the song on full volume and jump around in my room now :D

• Like 5

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the mistake to listen to it on repeat for a while and the doo-doo-doo's were stuck in my head the whole afternoon.

Thanks to my Coldplay USB stick in my car, which started playing DAAHF it has changed to ta-ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta [emoji4]

Where can I sign for a version with removed EDM?

Apparently the official video is going to drop on the 28th. I'm pretty doubtful about any of the band being in it though :3

I love the Strawberry swing vibe in the lyric video so I don't mind what the official one is xD

I can't wait for the band to play it live on their own as some sort of acoustic version. I think it'll sound great just like the ASfoS acoustic.

whered you find that out?

I like the lyric video; it reminds me of Strawberry Swing too. The aliens especially made my daughter laugh. (She's 9). I know some people don't like how Coldplay is appealing to younger (teen) audiences now, but I'm in my 40's and love most of their new music. My daughter and I are both huge fans and bond over all things Coldplay. She likes most of their old music too. It reaches so many demographics in different ways.

• Like 5

I like the lyric video; it reminds me of Strawberry Swing too. The aliens especially made my daughter laugh. (She's 9). I know some people don't like how Coldplay is appealing to younger (teen) audiences now, but I'm in my 40's and love most of their new music. My daughter and I are both huge fans and bond over all things Coldplay. She likes most of their old music too. It reaches so many demographics in different ways.

aww this made me smile :)

Can somebody help me, the phrase "And Superman unrolls a suit before he lifts" has been stuck in my ears all day :dizzy:

Put on an Oldplaying song with a good catchy chorus and if necessary put that on repeat for 30 minutes.

That should do the trick. [emoji23]

• Like 2

Put on an Oldplaying song with a good catchy chorus and if necessary put that on repeat for 30 minutes.

That should do the trick. [emoji23]

Thanks for the prescription :P

I already listened repeatedly to Violet Hill, Speed Of Sound and Things I Don't Understand today but it didn't do the trick yet - I won't give up though.

• Like 1

I like it. Not loving it yet. Not really a fan of the Chainsmokers since all their songs sound the same. This song is no different, you can feel that it's more The Chainsmokers ft. Chris Martin than anything else. Though there are a few things I really like: 1. The build-ups 2. The lyrics 3.Jonny's guitar in the end makes things much much better.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE E1003 met Tapatalk

The best part for me is Jonny's riff at the end (can anyone edit the song to emphasize that specific part? I'll appreciate that very much).

Wow, it seems like everyone really digs the part with Jonny in it at the end! Same here, it sounds so epic!

OK the ADHD comment up here was unnecessary but other than that, I would agree with what lennyrott said about the target audience and the Chainsmokers.

I don't understand why, the older they get, the more Coldplay seem to try and appeal to a teen audience, and out of the teen audience more the "YOLO, I gotta party" subgroup most of all. They started out with deeper lyrics and music that shared their views on life and the world and appealed to especially the more sensitive, reflecting people, now they desperately want to have their songs played in clubs, it seems.

I can definitely see what you're saying. But I'll still like what I like and even if that's teenager music IDC I'm still liking it :P

See, I can admit when a song is not original or artistic (like this one) but still like it for fun. I don't really care how mainstream a song sounds, if it sound good to me I'll still like it. But I'll always have a much higher respect for artistic, original, and unique music.

I guess what I'm really missing is the timelessness of their songs. When I heard Something Just Like This the first time, I was like "well this is okay" but then Clocks began to play in my phone and I suddenly remembered how deep and well-crafted their songs are before.

That's the problem. We need to stop comparing this song to their old songs. Look, this is a Chainsmokers song and not a Coldplay song, they just have two completely different styles, especially going back in time for Coldplay. If we block out what Coldplay used to be and appreciate this song for what it is, we might like it a little more. Coldplay's peak has come and past, and of course they could take a much better direction. For this song they didn't, we'll just have to wait and see what Coldplay will put out in the future. Again, this isn't a Coldplay song, it's Chainsmokers with CP influences so we shouldn't be too worried for KEP even if we dislike this song.

I think the song would be much more pleasurable to listen to if they'd cut out the bland soulless eletronic beats and replace them with some rich, actual instruments including instrumental.

This is one of the reason why Mylo for me is so much better than AHFOD despite both being upbeat albums. For me, Mylo used electronic elements in the music perfectly. Real instruments formed most of the song, and the electronic elements were the sweetener and only gave the song more life. For AHFOD however, I feel there was an overuse of electronic elements that really wore it down. Now I'm not saying mainly electronic songs are a bad thing, there is a right way to do them and make it really good, but I still feel that it can't compare to something like what Mylo did, and also it's like some songs on AHFOD try to be rock and try to recreate what Mylo did, however unforuntately it falls short of the intense energy Mylo created because it's a bit too pop and too much electronic elements. The prime example of this is Up&Up. They should have done exactly what you said in your comment to that song, which is pretty much what the live debut was. Studio Up&Up gives me zero goosebumps whatsoever and tries to take off but just doesn't. In the live, they have an actual ride cymbal which is so much better than the nothing in the studio version, and they really make the guitar solo shine. It soars "Up&Up" just like Birds like it was supposed to. It's the only version of the song I listen to today, it is just soooooo good!

As I said on my social media in various places ... you know how DJs always do remixes of normal rock songs? Can Coldplay please flip the script and do a normal rock remix of this EDM song? I'd love to hear it stripped down and let Jonny's bit shine, bring up the piano a little, and maybe replace the club stuff with a bigger piano riff. Just more pianos and stuff. Everywhere.

So essentially turning this song into more of a Paradise style song. That would be totally epic, I'd be so down for that.

• Like 4

I think I mentioned somewhere in the Kaleidoscope EP forum that I wish they will not release any music featuring or doing a collab with Chainsmokers. Well that didn't happen obviously but I have to say that it's okay (compare to Closer and Paris). The best part for me is Jonny's riff at the end (can anyone edit the song to emphasize that specific part? I'll appreciate that very much). An energetic and catchy pop/EDM tune. However, the downside of this collab is that it seems like it is a Chainsmokers and Chris song rather than the whole band. It's also quite repetitive (like most EDM songs), uber-cheesy and forgettable. Good to know that the song will be on The Chainsmokers' upcoming album instead.

Already working on remastering the song to boost Jonny's guitar as much as possible without ruining the audio. Results are successful so far. Will post ASAP on my edits page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

That's the problem. We need to stop comparing this song to their old songs. Look, this is a Chainsmokers song and not a Coldplay song, they just have two completely different styles, especially going back in time for Coldplay. If we block out what Coldplay used to be and appreciate this song for what it is, we might like it a little more. Coldplay's peak has come and past, and of course they could take a much better direction. For this song they didn't, we'll just have to wait and see what Coldplay will put out in the future. Again, this isn't a Coldplay song, it's Chainsmokers with CP influences so we shouldn't be too worried.

I see your point but comparisons are inevitable when we talk about their discography. I mean Coldplay did push their boundaries since Viva la Vida and continues to incorporate different styles, genres and techniques, something that is commendable. Mylo explored electronic sounds and rnb beats while Ghost Stories boasts its sense of ambience and space. But while they achieved some kind of reinvention, some elements of "Coldplay" music are missed. Notably the lyrics as well as the timelessness of their songs (which to be fair is pop's common disease). But still, I enjoy listening to all their albums. It's a musical adventure for me.

Recently on Atlas Project...

Chainsmokers did an interview about SJLT, and it sounds like this song was more originally a Chris song than Chainsmokers song, which seems about right. They weren't even sure if Coldplay were going to let them have it. The most disturbing part to me is that according to Chainsmokers, Chris said he had a great feeling about the song, similair to Yellow or to The Scientist--classics of their time and classics always. This means one of two things to me, or maybe means both things:

Chris really, really, really wants to write today's biggest most universal EDM dance songs (which is a lost cause in my opinion since the world is saturated with it) or..

Chris wrote this song with the Chainsmokers in mind, so he dumbed it down for an EDM audience...he also was just being really nice to them and decided to bring the band on board because 1) "Coldplay" brand makes more $$ than "Chris Martin" brand, and 2) This gets Coldplay publicity before KEP

Hopefully soon we will get the full story of this song in an interview with Coldplay...Remember that ASFOS and HFTW were tracks that Will and Guy were skeptical about putting out. So what happened here?

• Like 1

Chris said he had a great feeling about the song, similair to Yellow or to The Scientist

I read this too on Twitter. Really...to compare it with those masterpieces. What happened to Chris ?

Although of course you can never be sure if he really said that....

• Like 1