✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we sure Jason knows shit though? I mean they could be preparing a production for it without having decided on the setlist. tbh I'm hoping Will vetoes it. It's a big #hit though so objectively speaking it would make sense to play it but ehhhh

In any case I hope it won't replace Birds or a different good song, if that happens I'm gonna be mad :whip:

I think birds is not a stadium song..I'll be glad if they replaced it with songs like politic or violent hill or even spies.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Coldplaying mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... I seriously can't believe the amount of love this song is getting. I really like this song but I expected way, WAY more hate for it. I'm surprised. Pleasently surprised.

I'm probably the only person who generally likes The Chainsmokers on here outside of the sexist comments and things like that. This is a great song and even for the people not liking it we shouldn't be too worried, keep in mind this is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay not the other way around. If it was the other way around, I could see where you're coming from. The haters should still have hope for the EP. Then again, who's to say Coldplay won't do something with The Chainsmokers the other way around....

I literally only listened to it twice and it's been playing in my head nonstop, even though I listened to about 15 songs afterwards. As per usual with The Chainsmokers, catchy and extremely memorable at least for me.

This song is actually receiving much more positive comments then I had expected. Of course there are haters but still. You're one of the last people I would have expected to be defending this. I really like this song too and I actually like most of what I've heard from The Chainsmokers. I'll never defend them artistically for now but they're fun to listen to for me. I can see why you wouldn't like them though. But this to be honest is a great song.

About Nickelback I honestly think they're criminally underrated but it is funny that a lot of people consider their new song far better than that Linkin Park fail though.

Won't be on the EP, not sure about the tour

FAM IT FULLY FUCKING BANGS

• Like 1

If it were to replace something on the set list, Birds would make sense. Huge bummer. I absolutely loved Birds when I saw them on tour, it was one of the few times the band was all together each playing an instrument and Chris gave a great performance.

Maybe the Paradise remix could get replaced? But again, live that remix was some of the funnest 2 minutes of my life because it was simply an all out rave with screeching guitars. Unlike SJLT it has real speed and ferocity to it that is super fun to dance to.

The ultimate test for Coldplay is the "silhouette" test, or how many people are deciding to leave in the middle of a song? I wonder if that is what happened with Army of One? We also know they'll be performing Fun with Tove Lo, and I expect the same to happen. As long as fans can unite around not wanting to hear SJLT, then maybe they'll stop playing it.

If it were to replace something on the set list, Birds would make sense. Huge bummer. I absolutely loved Birds when I saw them on tour, it was one of the few times the band was all together each playing an instrument and Chris gave a great performance.

Maybe the Paradise remix could get replaced? But again, live that remix was some of the funnest 2 minutes of my life because it was simply an all out rave with screeching guitars. Unlike SJLT it has real speed and ferocity to it that is super fun to dance to.

The ultimate test for Coldplay is the "silhouette" test, or how many people are deciding to leave in the middle of a song? I wonder if that is what happened with Army of One? We also know they'll be performing Fun with Tove Lo, and I expect the same to happen. As long as fans can unite around not wanting to hear SJLT, then maybe they'll stop playing it.

Now we know they replaced Amazing Day which in my opinion wasn't good. They should replace Heroes. I like their version but it's not a Coldplay song!

• Like 3

I agree that it was a bad idea to scratch Amazing Day off the setlist and put SJLT instead. I think it was a better idea to replace Paradise (Remix) with SJLT.

But I am here to say that I really liked the version of SJLT that they played in Singapore yesterday (I can't find their last performance of SJLT of today)

I really prefer this more rockier SJLT, I like it so much more than the original ! And did you know that Jonny also changed his guitar riffs at some point, which sounds more like his old style, in my opinion ! He did that around 2:36---2:58. Overall, it sounds so amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuXMMzYGlI

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuXMMzYGlI

• Like 5

When ASFOS came out I couldn't understand why people liked it so much. I was totally in love with Ghost Stories album, but this one was the only song I didn't love so much, it was just fine for me. But finally and after listening to it on live I kinda started to like it...

But with SJLT I have a different feeling. I don't like this song from the very beginning... nothing at all. Think it doesn't fit with CP style. I don't understand how it can be in the highest places of certain music rankings like Billboard, srsly I don't get it... it's not even a good stadium song in my opinion. I've made an effort to try to find their beauty, but I couldn't :/

This is just my opinion... maybe some of you love it. Or maybe me myself I'll love it some day... can't tell haha

• Like 4

Well the Chainsmoker's album has arrived, and surprise surprise, its godawful (in my opinion). Many tracks have a pretty clear Coldplay influence with the guitars.... and without a doubt the most lively moment is SJLT's finale, and that isn't saying much.

The lyrics are pitifully immature and the audio interludes made me gag.

I struggled to find one moment on the record where I though "wow, thats super catchy pop" or, "wow, that was surprisingly fun or creative."

I would say its the whitebread of music, but there are actually things to enjoy about white bread.

Okayish moments: SJLT finale, It Won't Kill Ya (breakdown), Last Day Alive (could they get sued for this? It sounds like M83...)

• Like 6

I tried to ask my younger sister's opinion regarding the album since she is very fond of Chainsmoker's previous releases and I was surprised that she didn't find it amusing. I also gave it a listen and I must say that I agree with her. It's an album comprised of their familiar techniques, and asLENNYROTT1 mentioned, it's dull and not that catchy (something that is not common for a pop/EDM record in my opinion). Maybe I'm still biased when it comes to their music... I don't know. I just don't get them. Thank Coldplay for making one of their songs "listenable" at best.

• Like 2

^ oh god. That sounds so pretentious?

"Break Up Every Night shows off our indie rock roots more than any other song on the album. Sonically, it's the furthest departure from anything we’ve done in the past. We worked with our good friends Captain Cuts with the goal of writing a record that was upbeat and alternative but kept the roots of our sound." :joy::joy::joy:

"Don't Say is an incredible song" ...well if you say so :|

"It Won’t Kill Ya is about a night out, seeing someone you are attracted to across the room which pulls you into this mental struggle to gain the courage to interact with them."

wow so deep!!!1!

I listened to a couple of songs off the album because I saw a couple of people saying it was so bad so I wanted to decide for myself. Well. How shall I put this. The clue is on the cover: do not open. The lyrics are unbelievably weak (there's something with "fuck me back to life" in the chorus of the second song. w- what?) and the beats aren't very groundbreaking either. Which would be fine if they didn't talk about themselves like they're so important and special.

• Like 5

Your post made me laugh, @Captain Crieff ! It was so to the point. :)

"Coldplay is one of our biggest inspirations" Hmm, does this count as an insult ? :p

"stream of conscious" -ness !

"It’s hard to maintain your identity when working with such an established artist" What identity ? The generic beats or the deep lyrics ?

The clue is on the cover: do not open.

:joy:

• Like 1

Oh God, I did not heed the warning and listened to the rest of the tracks because I was too curious....like, are they really that bad ?

I am not someone who cannot enjoy a catchy pop/dance tune (Katy Perry's Chained To The Rhythm being an example of a recent song that, when it comes up on the radio, wouldn't make me turn off). But these songs sound so generic and indeed cheaply made, the verse as well as chorus melodies are trite and unoriginal and, well, the lyrics make X Marks The Spot read like Shakespeare in comparison. The EDM effects sound cheap too.

By the way, now I understand the comment about keeping identity: SJLT seems to be about the only song that has a somewhat memorable melody and does not contain the f-word in every second line. I see that their identity has really been diluted by Coldplay's participation, indeed.

It's cringeworthy that the name Coldplay appears on an album of this quality and they promote this stuff. It also ruins the band's reputation imho, I cannot understand how they agreed to be associated with this...

• Like 2

duuuuudeee. you wrote the songs Closer and #Selfie for christ sake. you're saying you wrote an indie track, which is cool, but here's the thing, Taggart. BREAK UP EVERY NIGHT HAS NO CONNECTION TO INDIE WHATSOEVER & you're saying a song with the lyrics 'she wants to fuck me back to life' are FUN to you? FUN? give me a break, guys. this album is complete (using the term lightly) GARBAGE.

• Like 5

The album is currently standing at a whopping 43/100 on Metacritic. That's the second lowest ever on that website. How embarrassing for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet it went straight into number 1 on Billboard Top 200. smh.

Oh God, I did not heed the warning and listened to the rest of the tracks because I was too curious....like, are they really that bad ?

I am not someone who cannot enjoy a catchy pop/dance tune (Katy Perry's Chained To The Rhythm being an example of a recent song that, when it comes up on the radio, wouldn't make me turn off). But these songs sound so generic and indeed cheaply made, the verse as well as chorus melodies are trite and unoriginal and, well, the lyrics make X Marks The Spot read like Shakespeare in comparison. The EDM effects sound cheap too.

By the way, now I understand the comment about keeping identity: SJLT seems to be about the only song that has a somewhat memorable melody and does not contain the f-word in every second line. I see that their identity has really been diluted by Coldplay's participation, indeed.

It's cringeworthy that the name Coldplay appears on an album of this quality and they promote this stuff. It also ruins the band's reputation imho, I cannot understand how they agreed to be associated with this...

"...Makes X Marks the Spot ...like Shakespeare ". That is the best line I'be heard in awhile! LMAO!![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...