✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What 2 songs you'd cut for "Coloratura"?

I'm curious to know what the Coldplay community would do if they were given reign over the song setlist and asked to remove two songs so that there's enough room and space to play the full version of "Coloratura" live.

You can look at the previous setlists to help decide. I'm still plotting my answer... I've never joined Spotify but why I bring that up is.. on this site I recall reading Coldplay chooses the songs on that platform based on popularity. Knowing the Spotify Coldplay listing might help me in my decision-making.

• Like 2

I'd remove Magic, and Something Just Like This. Coloratura is their masterpiece. It angered me when the band removed the song from the tour setlist. Its their best most beautiful song!!!!! And its the perfect song to end a show with!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Took me forever because I wanted to look at the stats. In the beginning I was thinking of cutting a Music of the spheres song however this is the tour honoring it so I decided to look elsewhere. If I did cut a song from the 9th album it would be Human Heart only because the numbers weren't as high compared to Let Somebody Go.

Songs to cut:

- Clocks (( again you could use a snippet in, The Lighthouse musical segment. ))

- Something Just Like This

2songcutting.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'd want to get rid of some of the songs they play too much, but then I'd have to say I'd want Coloratura over any other song as replacement, when in reality I'd love Square One to come back, or for them to play I Ran Away, Gravity or Don't Let It Break Your Heart as well.

I think Gravity would fit well into the show and it's themes, least they played it once during this tour.

I think Champion of the world, makes for a good stadium song but it's up to them. The fact E.T. theme is used in the opening for the band walking on stage and it's said in that songs lyrics... is rather special. Hope they'll include it on the tour.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bit of an update, I believe this was the interview I saw... in a portion of Chris explained they want the setlist to be more structured akin to a musical, his words "it does repeat some nights". So I have my doubts now they'll cut any songs to include Coloratura.

Bit disappointed... I was eager to hear Coloratura live when I went but it didnt occur however to lift spirit I focused my attention on the fan community and kept hoping other fellow fans in US would hear it live at some point however it's looking less and less like the direction they want.

Oh well; I thought it was the greatest song on that ablum. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 11:19 PM, TealAppeal said:

Bit of an update, I believe this was the interview I saw... in a portion of Chris explained they want the setlist to be more structured akin to a musical, his words "it does repeat some nights". So I have my doubts now they'll cut any songs to include Coloratura.

Bit disappointed... I was eager to hear Coloratura live when I went but it didnt occur however to lift spirit I focused my attention on the fan community and kept hoping other fellow fans in US would hear it live at some point however it's looking less and less like the direction they want.

Oh well; I thought it was the greatest song on that ablum. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

I still think they might play it in Europe or UK.
I've heard that films that last 3 hours are generally not appreciated by the Americans,

so I thought a song that lasts 10 minutes was possibly removed to accommodate that.
I don't think they'll play it every day in Europe but expect it in Paris and London.

• Like 1

You do have a point, most fellow Americans I know aren't too thrilled to see a film with me if the runtime is past 2 hours.

On the other side of this topic... there are some American artists such as, Lynyrd Skynyrd who wrote "Free Bird", that song runs 9 minutes. 

I think when it comes to it Coldplay wants to play Coloratura when they think the moment is right. I would've liked to have heard it live but it just wasn't meant to be. Hope the rest of the leg of this tour it's played like 3 times or so, we'll see. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 9:57 AM, jcfromparis said:

They should remove all the duo songs (like Hymn, to let somebody go, human heart if the girl part is recorded)

I am in agreement with cutting one... if be, Human Heart or Let Somebody Go because to me anyway, these songs both share similarities in being a slower paced songs that relate to something painful.

They both feel samey in my personal opinion, if you cut one I feel it would bode better for the setlist.

Hymn & My Universe I'm torn on because they're not -my- favorites however I sense the community at large likes these songs,  so I'm leaning to not touching them if I had the opportunity to edit the setlist.

Also if My Universe and another song listed above were cut... 2 songs from MOTS will be gone and that doesn't feel like a tour for said album at that point.

I clearly remember when I saw them in 2008 during Viva only "Yes" was cut from the show applying that here, I think only 1 song from this album should be cut if they decide to do so.

Sparks

It was the only music where people sat down and started chatting and speaking one to another, "not giving a shit" about what was played (Berlin, 10th). The rest of the gig was absolutely insane, even for a usually "cold" german audience: and my full and honest respect to ALL of them👏👏👏 Completely involved in every song, happily exhausted like i've never seen before, exemplary audience! Except in Sparks...

And Coloratura, besides the song itself as a magnificent one, would perfectly fit to end this concert. Really hope Chris and Coldplay reflect about loosing this opportunity and disappointing at least half of their dedicated fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy Sparks however you made a brilliant point, folks were murmuring during at the concert I attended as well. Wish folks were more respectful but it is what it is. I admire it's an older song though, but they also suprised us with 'Gravity' during this MotS tour so anything is possible.

I wouldn't mind at this point them cutting Sparks because now it's pretty regular on the setlist. 

We'll see what happens. I haven't been tracking the shows as feverishly now. I hope I get word when they start playing Coloratura again though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, VCF said:

None, tbf. Pretty sure the current shows do not reach 2 hours anymore.

But Hymn for the Weekend should have stayed in the AHFOD Era.

This to be honest!! But I do recognize that the production is REALLY TIGHT on all the songs - fireworks, confetti, lights, etc. Which makes it harder to adjust setlists night to night. 

However, if I had to choose what to cut:

-In My Place. It's just simply not as important as The Scientist or Clocks from that album.
-HFTW: I feel like most people don't remember this song anymore. It was fun to see it live though.
-Charlie Brown: this may be a controversial opinion, and I *love* CB. But Paradise and ETIAW are more well known and Humankind has a similar bouncy energy - so feels duplicative to also have this.
-Human Heart: probably the 1 song on the album that feels cuttable. They like Biutyful too much, MU is too important for the fandom/mainstream listeners, LSG I actually quite enjoy - yet HH is also a Chris only song. 

Btw, I wouldn't want to cut Sparks but wish they'd substitute it for other obscure songs. That slot belongs to UATW and Green Eyes and other stuff like that. 🙂

• Like 1

I would cut Something Just Like This, Infinity Sign and that awkard Midnight remix... I have to say the only song I really love from their last album is Coloratura. It's so magical and so special that nothing in that album can be compared to that song... but that is of course my humble opinion haha

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi👋 this is my first post, and because it's a relevant subject to talk for me, i would cut Something Just Like This and Biutyful (even Humankind) to make room for Coloratura. (Saturday next week i'm going to my first Coldplay concert ever in Chile! - i'm a fan since 2002)

And i'm hoping that they bring back the song somehow (there are 4 dates, and i'm going the last day, so wish me luck guys 🙌🙂 ).

Now i want to share what would be perfect, balanced and probably doable setlists for me (w/ some minor changes and Coloratura included):

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg