✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official **KEANE** thread

LifeIs4Living

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're allowed to criticize an album if we want. (don't be like the Coldplay section where people are like "PWEASE DON'T INSULT _______ I WUV IT") My favorite album is UTIS, but if you don't like it, fine by me.

To me, Perfect Symmetry was like a cheesy 80's throwback gone horribly wrong. Keane's first two albums were campy, but at least they were grounded. 5 seconds into "Spiralling", the cheese was magnified tenfold. I did enjoy the title track and "Black Burning Heart", but after that and the even worse Night Train, the band was smart to scale it back.

Sometimes it upsets people though when their favourite album's criticised continually. Some people believe that the sounds you put in your ears define you as a person, and as a result, shout you into a corner and tell you that you're not good enough.

That's why sometimes criticism might seem a bit much on the Coldplay section. Coldplay fans have to put up with that shit on a regular basis.

Sometimes it upsets people though when their favourite album's criticised continually. Some people believe that the sounds you put in your ears define you as a person, and as a result, shout you into a corner and tell you that you're not good enough.

That's why sometimes criticism might seem a bit much on the Coldplay section. Coldplay fans have to put up with that shit on a regular basis.

I agree with you for the most part, especially the bit about "the sounds you put in your ears define you as a person."

However, I can put up with critical, respectful criticism. What I mean by "critical" is more objective - "I prefer softer to music to that kind of thing," for example. If you acknowledge your personal preferences are not universal, and you respect other musical tastes, that's fine by me.

However, if you say "that album was ------" (insert any word you like), without respecting other's opinions and trying to insinuate your opinion onto others forcefuly... that's just plain out mean.

I agree with you for the most part, especially the bit about "the sounds you put in your ears define you as a person."

However, I can put up with critical, respectful criticism. What I mean by "critical" is more objective - "I prefer softer to music to that kind of thing," for example. If you acknowledge your personal preferences are not universal, and you respect other musical tastes, that's fine by me.

However, if you say "that album was ------" (insert any word you like), without respecting other's opinions and trying to insinuate your opinion onto others forcefuly... that's just plain out mean.

I remember when I first joined this forum, Coldplay had just released Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. I loved it by the third listen, and then I came on here, where the universal opinion was that it was rubbish. And I'm not going to lie, it affected my love of the song. I don't like it as much now.

I came on here to find like-minded others, and it's one thing for people to be critical, or show their opinions, and it's another thing to come up against a wall of internet users all showing their disdain in "The Official ____ Hate Thread." And I understand that we don't all like the same thing, but if you're hopelessly in love with something, as I am with Coldplay, I'd rather not hear bad things about them, constructive or not. Because being a Coldplay fan, or a Keane fan for that matter, is often a lonely existence. They're not cool bands, and we live for those big gigs, for meeting others passionate about our band, and following a band is like following a sports team; you back them through thick and thin, and put up with the crap to get to the good times.

It's totally fine to say what you think. It's more than fine; we're lucky to live in a culture that encourages it. But sometimes, it's just a bit tooooooooo bit intimidating.

I remember when I first joined this forum, Coldplay had just released Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. I loved it by the third listen, and then I came on here, where the universal opinion was that it was rubbish. And I'm not going to lie, it affected my love of the song. I don't like it as much now.

I came on here to find like-minded others, and it's one thing for people to be critical, or show their opinions, and it's another thing to come up against a wall of internet users all showing their disdain in "The Official ____ Hate Thread." And I understand that we don't all like the same thing, but if you're hopelessly in love with something, as I am with Coldplay, I'd rather not hear bad things about them, constructive or not. Because being a Coldplay fan, or a Keane fan for that matter, is often a lonely existence. They're not cool bands, and we live for those big gigs, for meeting others passionate about our band, and following a band is like following a sports team; you back them through thick and thin, and put up with the crap to get to the good times.

It's totally fine to say what you think. It's more than fine; we're lucky to live in a culture that encourages it. But sometimes, it's just a bit tooooooooo bit intimidating.

Yes, I agree with you for the most part - it's the pressure that can prevent you from really loving a band. All this hate for Paradise has caused me to think that I somewhat-dislike it, too. :-/

Though, if criticism is constructive, it's OK - the key point is that they're respectful about your opinion. That puts little / no pressure on you, and you can live through it... it helps that we have a big online community of Coldplayers - reduces a lot of the pressure to dislike Coldplay. :3

So I've decided that Black Rain is a brilliant song. Love the music for it.

Other favs include:

You are Young

Sea Fog

Disconnected

Strangeland

The Boys (the starting music sounds a lot like a BSB song. LOL)

Everything else is pretty meh.

I listened to it yesterday for the first time. I'm not very impressed overall but it's still a very good album. My big concern about it is that it sounds like a worse version of UTIS and the only song that sounds "new" is Neon River (best song on the album, also).

And second half>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>first half

PS. Am I the only one who doesn't like On The Road at all?

:lol::lol: hilarious!

They are playing here (portugal) two gigs, one for 500 people only next 16 may , which im trying hard to get a ticket since is gonna be a private gig and you can only go if you win any contest :disappointed: but im not a lucky girl.. so cross fingers for me please..

The other gig is in July, but that for public in general and in this moment i cant afford a ticket :( i really hope i can win a contest thn for the private gig :bigcry:

GUYS!!!! i won!!! :D im going to see them tomorrow!!! :D :bigcry: im soooooooo happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy YAY!!! :heart::heart: :D

OK. Here's what's wrong with this post.

1. I don't know what you mean by this "universal opinion." If you look at the poll for the song on this site, the results will show otherwise.

2. If you really let other people's opinions affect how you view something, there's a problem. If you like something, it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what other people think.

3. Your whole second paragraph is just...I can't even find a word for it. Allow me to explain:

-"I came on here to find like-minded others..." That's great. However, as in everything else in the world, you're going to come across people on this forum who don't have the same opinions as you, and like you, they have a right to express them.

-"...if you're hopelessly in love with something, as I am with Coldplay, I'd rather not hear bad things about them, constructive or not." If they're constructive, they're not bad things, and even if they were, just because you have a love for them doesn't mean other people do. As weird as it may sound to you, not everyone on here loves Coldplay to the extent that you do. Muse are my favorite band in the entire world. Does everyone love them? No. In fact, there are a lot of people who can't stand them. I'm not going to let what they say, however, diminish my love for them.

-"Because being a Coldplay fan, or a Keane fan for that matter, is often a lonely existence." Nooo, of course not. There's only thousands of people on this site (and the Keane site as well) and even more who don't do forums that love these bands. They wouldn't have as extensive of tours as they do if they had that limited of a fan base.

-gets off soap box-

OK. Here's what's wrong with this post.

1. I don't know what you mean by this "universal opinion." If you look at the poll for the song on this site, the results will show otherwise.

2. If you really let other people's opinions affect how you view something, there's a problem. If you like something, it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what other people think.

3. Your whole second paragraph is just...I can't even find a word for it. Allow me to explain:

-"I came on here to find like-minded others..." That's great. However, as in everything else in the world, you're going to come across people on this forum who don't have the same opinions as you, and like you, they have a right to express them.

-"...if you're hopelessly in love with something, as I am with Coldplay, I'd rather not hear bad things about them, constructive or not." If they're constructive, they're not bad things, and even if they were, just because you have a love for them doesn't mean other people do. As weird as it may sound to you, not everyone on here loves Coldplay to the extent that you do. Muse are my favorite band in the entire world. Does everyone love them? No. In fact, there are a lot of people who can't stand them. I'm not going to let what they say, however, diminish my love for them.

-"Because being a Coldplay fan, or a Keane fan for that matter, is often a lonely existence." Nooo, of course not. There's only thousands of people on this site (and the Keane site as well) and even more who don't do forums that love these bands. They wouldn't have as extensive of tours as they do if they had that limited of a fan base.

-gets off soap box-

I do believe you're misinterpreting her post.

1. It might've been at just that period of time, but there appeared to be a lot of posts criticizing ETIAW at that point. I still see people prefering other songs to Paradise because it's "just too popular" (I'm not saying that everyone thinks that; I've just seen a lot of it) - it has deducted my love for it a bit. It's peer pressure, basically. Although you may not see it, we still feel it.

2. See above. Peer pressure is extremely influential. I think someone has said (possibly on this thread; not sure) that music is pretty much part of who you are. I define myself partly in terms of my music tastes. If someone says about a song you love - "that song is a bunch of rubbish!" then you feel ashamed for liking that song. Yeah, you listen to it in secret, but you're afraid to say you're in love with that song out loud.

3. I think you're failing to make several distinctions that are important here.

a) Yes, I believe that everyone has a right to express their opinion. Which is precisely why I'm going to say this - people should have a right to have their opinions respected. I'm making a distinction between this - "Coldplay is AWFUL. How could you possible like them?" - and this - "I personally don't like Coldplay, but I won't hate you for liking them."

b) See above. What I mean by "constructive" criticism, is, like I said above, respectful. (Maybe even beyond respectful - perhaps more objective.) But basically, fi people have a respect for your music tastes, I'm fine with it. I just feel offended by words like "awful", "terrible", etc. because that kind of implies that everyone agrees with those terms (note: IMPLIED - I'm not saying that they're actually saying this), while if you say "dislike", then you're acknowledging that you have an opinion which is not necessarily universal/

c) There IS a great base of fandom here, and that provides a lot of support for Coldplayer pride. However, once you go out into the big world, Coldplayers are a tiny minority - only a small amount of people know anything beyond their major hits (Clocks, the Scientist, Fix You, Viva la Vida, Paradise, ETIAW, etc.) and an even fewer amount know all of the singles. An even smaller amount know some of their more obscure songs and b-sides.

- I will stop rambling now -

1. "Universal," in its most hyperbolic translation, implies that the vast majority of people agree with it. I don't think so many people would have given it a score of 7+ if there were so many people that thought it was bad. Not everyone feels that way about the song. In fact, I believe there's only a handful of us out of the thousands of people who post in this forum that have made our opinions clear about how much we dislike the song. At any rate, even if this "peer pressure" was actually there, you don't submit to it. Is it hard? Sometimes, but who cares? Don't listen to people. Problem solved.

2. Um. Dumb. If it's a part of you, why would you be ashamed of it? It's you and nobody else. You should be proud of it. That goes again to my point. Why do you care what other people think? Be you. That's all that matters, really.

3. Alright. Here we go.

A. I want to see where exactly you saw these comments of "How can you possibly like them?" I mean, I know there have been some of us who have expressed our dislike for MX, but as far as the band goes, I can't recall a whole lot of times when people expressed their severe dislike.

B. "I just feel offended by words like "awful", "terrible", etc. because that kind of implies that everyone agrees with those terms (note: IMPLIED - I'm not saying that they're actually saying this), while if you say "dislike", then you're acknowledging that you have an opinion which is not necessarily universal/"

LOLWUT? Words like "awful" and "terrible" are merely descriptive terms. They're used in these statements called opinions. They're called opinions because they're not fact. Believe it or not, opinions are not universal. How on Earth do those words imply that? RIDICULOUS.

C. And that's a reason to be sad? Nope, not buying it.

I probably sounded a bit insensitive as I typed this. Oh well. I did it to prove a point.

I bought this album without knowing what to expect, I had listened to the iTunes preview and thought it was ok, when I bought it I thought the same thing, it had some good songs but it was pretty average for me. But after a few listens I have to say that I really enjoy it, definitely better than PS, I think it was good of them for playing it safe. Maybe they'll surprise us on the next album! Sea Fog and The Boys are my favorite tracks, and the piano at the second half on Neon River sounds awesome!

Seeing them on June 14th by the way!