✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official **KEANE** thread

LifeIs4Living

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty impressed with the album overall at this point, although at the moment I'm not really sure where it ranks among the other albums. I like pretty much every song, with the least favorite being Watch How You Go, although it's still a good song. My favorites include You Are Young, , Disconnected, Sovereign Light Cafe, Neon River, In Your Own Time, Black Rain, and Silenced By The Night. While the studio versions of Black Rain and Sea Fog are still great, I'm slightly disappointed, and feel the live versions sound a bit better. I liked the way Black Rain ended when they played it live, but the studio version just fades out. Sea fog sounds a bit faster than it did live to me, especially the ending parts where tom sings "sea fog rolling" X 3. With that said, I'm still enjoying the album very much so, and have it on repeat at the moment.

Agree with the Black Rain/Sea Fog part. I loved Black Rain live so much... the piano of the end was so breathtaking, specially after those high falsetto notes. But in the album version you can barely hear those falsettos and then the ending with just the piano fades out... I HATED THAT.

And Sea Fog, yeah, I didn't mind it being a bit faster but I hated the "sea fog rolling" part too. I like it better live.

And, am I the only one who thinks all the "oohs" are a bit... flat? It seems like they added too much reverb and vocal effects. The "oohs" on the bridge of "Watch how you go" sound a bit creepy. Same with the end of "Sea Fog".

Anyway, I liked Sovereign Light Café and On The Road a lot, though. Specially those last chorus. And In your own time is pretty good too.

The album is amazing. I've listened to nothing else these past four days. It is as good, if not better, than Mylo Xyloto imo. My favourites are Black Rain, On The Road, You Are Young and Day Will Come. I agree, I loved the ending of the live Black Rain but the fading out is probably just as effective. My least favourite is Watch How You Go but I still love that. The Myth b-side is amazing too. I think they maybe made that a thirteenth track between In Your Own Time and Sea Fog. It would have added to the epicness. The song Strangeland is brilliant too. Looking forward to my special edition coming next week so that I can listen to Run With Me, The Boys and It's Not True. Hope we get a couple more b sides too with the next singles.

It is definitely their best album as all of the songs are all as strong as each other. :lol:

Review: Sounds like the first two.

end of review

I think has a different sound than all of the previous albums. Perfect Symmetry was very synthy. UTIS was dark. I think it is closest to the first album but it still has a different feel. Their formula with the piano focused songs with little guitar is unique, ingenious and pretty ground-breaking for me. :P

Just saw this "It could have been me" :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

:lol::lol: hilarious!

They are playing here (portugal) two gigs, one for 500 people only next 16 may , which im trying hard to get a ticket since is gonna be a private gig and you can only go if you win any contest :disappointed: but im not a lucky girl.. so cross fingers for me please..

The other gig is in July, but that for public in general and in this moment i cant afford a ticket :( i really hope i can win a contest thn for the private gig :bigcry:

I really like Strangeland. Don't think it's as good as their first two though, but maybe I need more listens. Sovereign Light Cafe is brilliant. :awesome:

By the way, does anyone know who the support is for their UK tour?

I should also add, that I heard the song "Strangeland" (bonus song on the deluxe edition) weeks ago via the free download they gave as a prize for winning the maze game. After hearing the album, I couldn't believe Watch How You Go made the album, and Strangeland did not. Although I've heard the song, Watch How You Go has special meaning to Tim & Tom, being that's it's the first breakup song written that has shown a positive side. I've also heard the other 3 bonus tracks, and the only one besides Strangeland that I've really found any enjoyment in, is The Boys. The other 2 were just ok. I can see why all 3, excluding Strangeland were bonus songs.

So, I've heard the album more times now, and it still doesn't do anything to me, none of the songs are bad, but they are all forgettable, nothing special. Light Café and On The Road are the only ones I really enjoy. Hope one of those is teh next single, I'd love a video of them. It just seems they forced themselves to step back on this because of the commercial disaster of Perfect Symmetry and it's singles.

Not got it yet. Is it good or bad!?

GET IT.

It is awesome. It's definitely a grower.

The first time I listened to it I liked it but now I LOVE it. And even those songs that didn't catch me in the first time (Neon River, Watch how you go, In your own time...) have definitely grown on me.

I particularly recommend the special edition with the 4 bonus tracks cause Strangeland, Run with me and The boys are pretty awesome.

I'd say it's the sound of Under the iron sea, the lyrics of Hopes and Fears and the energy and positiveness of Perfect Symmetry. Very beautiful sonding and pleasant to hear.

Soooo glad Strangeland sounds NOTHING like PS!!

I've only listened to it once and it's alright. I'll give my final verdict after a few listens. It needs to grow on me I think.

I never cared much about Sea Fog when it was performed live but I'm in love with the studio version. Sooo goood.

the only song on PS I didn't like was 'Pretend That You're Alone' but apart from that it was good!

Lovers are Losing, PS itself were great.

I do like Strangeland a lot, it's safer, but isn't that how everyone wants Keane to sound? :P

We're allowed to criticize an album if we want. (don't be like the Coldplay section where people are like "PWEASE DON'T INSULT _______ I WUV IT") My favorite album is UTIS, but if you don't like it, fine by me.

To me, Perfect Symmetry was like a cheesy 80's throwback gone horribly wrong. Keane's first two albums were campy, but at least they were grounded. 5 seconds into "Spiralling", the cheese was magnified tenfold. I did enjoy the title track and "Black Burning Heart", but after that and the even worse Night Train, the band was smart to scale it back.

It took me the longest time to find anything redeeming about PS. It's a good thing "Love Is the End" is on there. I have a rather soft spot for that song. As far as "Night Train," it generally wasn't very good. "Clear Skies" is a nice number, but it doesn't match the rest of the EP too well. "Looking Back" is catchy, but it's also a "Rocky" theme song ripoff. There's "My Shadow," too, but that song was well-known in the Keane community as a B-side before its appearance on the EP, so I don't even count that one, really. The other stuff...ohmygosh. Don't even get me started on "Your Love." I can't stand it. :bomb:

Having said all that, while I haven't listened to "Strangeland" yet, from what I've heard in "Silenced by the Night," it sounds promising. I'll take a listen some time after I'm done with the mixtape exchange.

To me, Perfect Symmetry was like a cheesy 80's throwback gone horribly wrong. Keane's first two albums were campy, but at least they were grounded. 5 seconds into "Spiralling", the cheese was magnified tenfold. I did enjoy the title track and "Black Burning Heart", but after that and the even worse Night Train, the band was smart to scale it back.

I agree that Night Train didn't go well (gosh, that japanese song is horrible)...it's just that for me Srtrangeland sounds so boring, they are clearly playing safe on this one. While UTIS was a step foward compared to H&F the new album just wants to sound like the first and fails, H&F had great and memorable melodies, Strangeland has average songs with average arrangements.